When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live

1. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • Identity Theft

i need to get an inside job at the IRS just so I can come here and help my people lol

2. PlainJane
      tn
      usaa
    • Identity Theft

My TA is suppose to call today hopefully she got some good news for me

3. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

Well folks time to bug another agent time me last week 16th was my 11 week

4. Flipflop

@Curious..: federal tax debts do not show on the offset line. Yes, they will apply the refund to the tax debt.

5. Ct7373

@Peanut: thanks I heard a lot ppl with green dot said they received it a day earlier. Thanks for letting me know.

6. Ralph

So my 60 day review started last week. I spoke to the irs this morning and he told me I should received my taxes between those 60 days. He told me I could receive it earlier. Has someone in here received their taxes in 60 days or less?

7. Peanut

@ct7373: my past experience with SBBT is they receive the refund on your ddd and then is released to you the following day.

8. Curious..

If I owed taxes from last year but this year I’m due a refund but when I called the offset line it says I don’t have any offsets will I get my refund possibly or will they still catch that and take it?

9. Skinna
      MI
      Emerald Card
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

I’m supposed to be a weekly but my as of date updated on my transcripts this morning from April 1 to may 6. I just want that 846 lol

• RN 9001, Weekly

@ShaysBack: i definitely would get an advocate. Those blank transcripts are indicating something is keeping that return from even going into processing. Its just sitting, waiting for someone to manually address it. You need an advocate to get it moving again. All over 36 dollars. Ridiculous.

11. ct7373

SBBT , filed thru taxslayer, had fees only taken out, and as of this morning SBBT still has not received my refund, DDD of 4/17, I have a greendot card issued thru taxslayer. How long will it take for SBBT to receive my refund?

12. AmyZee
      Michigan
      LMCU
    • TT 152, RN 9001

@Stacy: Nope, no bars either for me. I’m glad someone else is waiting too! I hope we see our returns in a week or two and it doesn’t drag out for months. Did your letter say six weeks initially too, or nine?

13. ShaysBack

So I’m back again. I’m not in her often because my situation is much different than others. I forgot my daughter had insurance through the marketplace for 2 months and didnt put it on my return in Jan. I faxed them my 1095 and a 8962 Feb 21. They received and instead of proocessing my return with kike they were supposed to they opened up a case. A rep on the phone caught the mistake and faxed it back to the correct department on Mar 13th. They said 8 weeks from the date that I orginally faxed it which would be this upcoming weekend. Then I got a letter saying they need 60 more days to process my return. This is all over $36 in insurance premiums and them not processing it correctly. My transcripts
    have been blank in the mail and my account numbers from my credit report don’t work to get them online. Which I never had a issue in years past getting transcripts online. Should I get a TA at this point? This is my first time ever having issues with a return.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Gen: if you are referring to being able to order them by mail as a sign they’re done processing, yes, I agree.

15. Michigander80
      MI
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • TT 570, RN 1541

What time does republic bank take out the fees today for a DDD of tomorrow?

16. Gen

@Sheila_33: I agree IRS doesn’t know anything half the time, but with transcripts they have not been a reliable source for myself, family, and or friends(personal experiences)

17. Mzb81
      Il
      WoodForest
      Apr-13
      Apr-17
      Apr-16

So question if Turbo Tax took my fees from my bank account and I’m scheduled to get refund today, will they still deduct the fees or just send me my full refund?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Genn: i have to disagree With you on the transcripts. I trust those over what the irs reps say or Wmr any day. I’ve been here for awhile and I don’t recall Tamara stating that but I can check. Your transcript is the only sure way of seeing what’s going on with your return.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Walt: yes you can call and check on it. You’re just stuck in a holding pattern like so many others.

20. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

@Sherri: you able to see transcripts online or have you called and asked if a notice has been sent out and if so when it was sent

21. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

@Injuredspouse2019: they recieved your injured spouse and they are working on it the got your injured spouse before your refund could be stopped so it just takes time

22. Injuredspouse2019

I file injured spouse and I got my transcripts in the mail today and my cycle date 20190805 and code are
    150-tax return filed -4-15-2019
    806-w2 or 1099 withholding 4-15-2019
    766-credits to account 4-15-2019
    766-credit to account 4-15-2019
    768-eic-4-15-2019
    846-refund issued-2-27-2019
    898-refund applied to debt 3-11-2019
    971-injured spouse claim received 3-5-2019 Can some explain this to me please I filed injured spouse after my return was already processed and done because I didn’t know my husband had any offsets transcripts updated today

23. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

@Lcglass100: your 570 is the stop sign for someone working on your injured spouse told you that like a month ago I know it is hard and want answer and with injured spouse you don’t get answers just your money 3 to 4 months later it seems

24. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

@Lcglass100: that’s normal lc everything is moving along it’s the inured spouse for some it takes a very long time and others not so long there’s no rhyme or reason behind it other then some people get good workers while other get get workers

25. Lcglass100

@no ddd, no update, no money – Walt: well I haven’t gotten anything in the mail. No letters. The reps keep telling me I don’t have to do any type verification that they can see. That my full time is up May 8th and I should see something by then, but just still have a 570 code, but they just keep telling me it’s so my refund doesn’t get taken.

26. no ddd, no update, no money - Walt

@Lcglass100: You will get a letter in the mail if u have to id verify.

I got one in March and on March 6th I verified and was told the hold was lifted. I e-filed my return and got accepted on Jan 30th. I have yet to receive my funds or even a ddd. I never changed from “still being processed”. So at this point, I’ve given up.

So don’t look forward to having to id verify. For some people, they have received their money in 2 weeks, but some aren’t so lucky. So as myself..

27. Lcglass100

Hey y’all! Me again with another question… how do you know if you have to ID verify?? I still have a 570 code on my transcripts and it hasn’t moved since before 3-11-19. I have called the irs line several times and spoken with several reps. They all have told me it doesn’t look like I have to do any type verification. The 570 code is on there so that my refund doesn’t get taken?? Is this correct? A guy put in a referral for me last week because he said I’m past the time frame. How would I know if I need to do anything else? I haven’t received anything in the mail from irs.

28. Candi
      Tx
      Metabank
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • Weekly

@AggravatedinTX: I’ll be waiting on your update. My refund got rejected and sent back. I got a TA and found out Friday my refund is scheduled to be mailed on the 19th. So now I’m Just waiting to see how long it takes after it’s mailed. So far it seems like everyone’s situation is a little different but at least I can get somewhat of an idea of how the process is going to go.. Good luck!

29. Stacy

@AmyZee: I’m going through the same thing I got a cp74 notice February 25th and they told me 9weeks I’m on my 7th week today! They told me I don’t have a audit or anything! So hopefully soon we will see change! Do you have bars up because I don’t have any bars

30. Genn

All those that are looking to get answers from their transcripts are sadly mistaken. If u have been on this sight for years like I have and have the experience than you will know that transcripts are the last thing to get answers per TamaraMallory and personal experience

31. Genn

@no ddd, no update, no money – Walt: u just have to wait. The lady told me after I verified today that It will appear as though I just filed my taxes so to wait nine weeks. I know some that have gotten their money in 1-3 weeks after ID verify

32. no ddd, no update, no money - Walt

@Sheila_33: I filed and was accepted on Jan 30th. I was sent a letter and I passed the id verification on March 6.
    Is too late for me to call and check on it? Can I call tomorrow and see if it’s been processed yet? Or should I hurry up and call today??

Or am I just screwed?

33. Wtfisgoingon

@Tigerlili_1 not logged in: that would be today. So far nothing. SBBT gave me a trace number but TurboTax, ;(green dot) say they do not see it. Should I be worried?

34. Ashleyijs

150-tax return filed -4-15-2019
    806-w2 or 1099 withholding 4-15-2019
    766-credits to account 4-15-2019
    766-credit to account 4-15-2019
    768-eic-4-15-2019
    846-refund issued-2-27-2019
    898-refund applied to debt 3-11-2019
    971-injured spouse claim received 3-5-2019

35. AggravatedinTX
      Texas
      Chime
    • RN 1541

@Cece: I talked to a TA on 3/15 ….. Fedex my amended return on 3/18…. IRS got it on 3/19…. Was suppose to get a call from my TA today but of course they didnt call…. Called in was told my adjustments were done and it was sent for release on 4/13 so for me with a TA it was about a month

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Walt: Today is the last day to fIle your taxes before a penalty. You can call any day to check on your return.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Macl2009: if you’re a weekly you could possibly see an update on wmr this Saturday morning.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Da Corbitts: By putting in the referral, you should be cleared of any issues and will start processing again and hopefully update to a deposit date soon.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Walt: you can call definitely.

40. Injured2015
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Injured Spouse, Weekly

As of today I have not received my refund 😭😭😭

41. no ddd, no update, no money - Walt

Can I still call the IRS tomorrow and make sure my of verification went through that was completed over the phone, on March 6th. Or is today the last day I can call??

I filed and was accepted JAn 30th and I have yet to receive an update or www. My WMR has been at “still being processed” since Jan 30th.
    The rep told me the gold was lifted and I should receive it in 9 weeks but it won’t take that long.

Can I still call tomorrow and verify? I still have my same letter..

42. Da Corbetts

I went inside to id verfiy and i pass then the lady said wait for 30days for a letter to give more information then i called the irs today and they told me they didnt see anything bout no 30day letter and then told me she referral me to be putback processing can someone tell me what this mean

43. Macl2009
      Ohio
      USAA
    • TT 152, TT 570

So as I told you all last Thursday I was told my refund was finally released that day and I get my refund in 2-3 weeks, so my question is, do you guys think I’ll update this weekend to a DD leading to a DDD next week?

44. Wtfisgoingon

When does SBBT release your $$. Is it right after they take their fees?? Or direct deposit date which is 4/16?? To turbo tax prepaid??

45. AggravatedinTX
      Texas
      Chime
    • RN 1541

Hey all still waiting with everyone else on here…. I try not to post unless I have an update cuz I know I’m just going to drive myself crazy… But hopefully I am almost done with this tax season… My TA has not called mr today which is our scheduled day but I called the national TA line and a nice gentleman told me my adjustment was released on 4/13 ….. Not sure if I believe that since it was Saturday but he couldnt tell me much else and said my advocate would have more info…. I’m going to be positive and hope that next week I get a DD or a check… I dont know how it’s going to come because I have been told different things

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Vicky Lou: Lol. Had to think what you meant. Go to the little guy at the top of the page and click, register your email and fill in your filing stats.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Vicky Lou: What information are you talking about? The cp05 info?

48. Pooh Bear

I called the irs and the rep said I was under review as well as having to wait the nine weeks since I had to verify my identity. Can anyone tell me what this means?

49. Vicky Lou

• RN 9001, Weekly

@RENEEJB: Possibly your refund since IS checks are mailed on Friday or could be a letter explaining an action taken on the return.

51. Terri
      North Carolina
      SECU
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, TT 201, Injured Spouse

@RENEEJB: Same! We filed 1/28, offset occurred 2/28, IS form received 3/4. . They said to wait until 45 days was up. Called again 2 weeks ago & they said we should hear something by 4/19, which is this Friday, and if we don’t hear anything back by then, to call.

I tried to get a T.A. with a verifiable hardship, but the 2nd lady I talked to decided not to process the paperwork that just took 4 hours to complete. She said it was too late in the process for them to do anything & that our “time was almost up”, we’re just a few days away…. But she wouldn’t listen to anything I had to say.. Kept interrupting me, so I just gave up on that.

52. Ashley993

@thisisaweful: I have not had any luck yet. Just got a TA on Friday! I filed 1/29 & I am still waiting. SO hopefully this tax advocate will speed things up maybe just a little bit.

53. RENEEJB

I filed injured spouse after my return was processed and they said wait 8 weeks and I called today they said I should receive something in the mail by Friday if not give them a call what does that mean

54. Me&Mines

ok so my codes are same this week too, TA want call back I am going nuts over here

my codes cycle is 20191205
    806-4/15
    766-4/15
    768-4/15
    570-4/08
    971-4/15
    As of date 4/29/19

What is the next waiting excuse can they give me

I am like OMG I just want answers since y’all giving me my $$$$

55. OverIt

@Ivette: press the option to speak English then after option1…2….3 then they will pick up and ask how to direct your call. Tell them it’s been over 21 days and they’ll transfer u to someone.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@thisisaweful: This time of year with the phone hold time so long it’s quicker to go to irs.gov 911 request advocate form, print it, fill it out and fax to the number provided on the form. I would make sure that you stated you have an eviction notice. They usually respond in around 3 days and will assign you a local advocate.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Noodles2810: if it’s an exam, have they requested any information from you? Kind of depends on your codes and if you’re going to have to provide any verification.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@thisisaweful: request an expedited hardship, you definitely qualify. Stress to the advocate that you have an eviction notice.

59. Ashley993

@thisisaweful: I had a same scenario. I did get a tax advocate who said I would have to file an amendment. It will take up to 20 weeks now to amend. Not sure if that’s what you will have to do

60. me&mines

@Givememycoins30: Good Morning;
    I just wanted to say DITIOOOOoo
    I been waiting for a TA call back Sup nothing, same codes ,
    I been waiting since 02/19 for my refund over Wage Verf.
    Like tell us Something

61. thisisaweful

So someone filed my taxes for me back in January. I had to ID verify and passed March 11. Been waiting since. I called today to see what was up and they kept telling me 9 weeks. My ranscripts finally updated 2 weeks ago with an as of day of 4/15. Cyclecode 20191305 570 code and 971 code. I decided to call the tax advocate line to see if I qualify with having a 3 day eviction notice and pending car repo and apparently so. My reported withholding was $1100 over and my reported wages were over also. I’m on hold with tax advocate intake line but I’m not sure what to do or say. Can someone please help me????

62. Noodles2810
      Delaware
      Federal Credit union
      Take Action
    • TC 420, TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Ok so I filed early and got an advocate who got the process rolling for a review request. She said they where reviewing w-2 so I sent that all in to her then she says there reviewing dependents . the review request changed to reviewing so how long that take anyone See anything similar?

63. Givememycoins30
      Maryland
      Bbvb
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

Still no ta response, no ta supervisor response, no nothing

64. no ddd, no update, no money - Walt

WMR is down for me. Could they be updating??

Maybe I’ll log back on and finally update with a ddd, after filing Jan 30th.

Is WMR down for anyone else?

65. no ddd, no update, no money - Walt

@BrokeBeyondPissed: Thank you! Is today the only day I’m able to call the IRS, (to verify id verification) considering it’s the last filing day.

66. BrokeBeyondPissed

@no ddd, no update, no money – Walt: Hi Walt, I was in the same situation for 7 and a half weeks. I called the IRS and the ID verification dept every week for 7 weeks to only find out THIS PAST Friday that my online verification did not come thru on their end. Thank goodness I still had the letter they sent, so I was able to call over the phone and get it done. Even though 12 different reps confirmed they saw where the verification was acknowledged, come to find out they were all just reading the past notes instead of researching. Call the ID Verification dept back and check to see if they see where it has been verified. Don’t tell them when you did it, let them tell you.

67. RENEEJB

I filed injured spouse 3/1 still no updates and I filed after my return was already done because I did not know my husband had an offset and it’s on suppose to take 8 weeks I’m on week 6 still no update letter or nothing anyone else experience this please help first time filing injured spouse

68. AmyZee
      Michigan
      LMCU
    • TT 152, RN 9001

OK…just got off the phone with a really nice lady at the IRS. She said everything looked fine with my refund. However, she said that it would take NINE weeks from Feb 25th, when my CP74 was approved. Not the 6 weeks from March 4, when my notice was sent out. So now I have until April 29th to wait. But she did say that as far as she could see, it all looked good. Just needed to process.

So hopefully this will ease some minds, they are just really behind. Still sucks though.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Overit: usually takes around 4 to 6 weeks to show up on the wmr site. Around 8 weeks for a refund date.

70. OverIt

Does someone know how long after the irs receive your return in the mail do they start processing.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Justice: shouldn’t take more than a week. If it’s been released and they manually get it posted quickly, It will need to cycle thru to update on the transcript with a 846. I went thru an audit last year.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Ish: its a math error possibly explaining the increase. You shouldn’t need to contact them unless you want a more in depth explanation. Congrats on your deposit date.

73. Justice

Question: (hopefully someone can answer if they experienced my issue in the past years)

How long does it take for the exams department to release a refund once the return was reviewed and case closed in favor to take filer?

Filed 2/1
    Tax return frozen on 2/16
    Got tax advocate around 2/25
    Took exams department (3-4) weeks to be assigned and reviewed by exams.
    After re-faxing documents was told my return will be released.

74. Ish

IRS has updated my actual refund after sending health care documents that is $60 increase, i have got 4/17 ddd but there is 9021 tax topic , what is 9021 and do i have to contact them ?

75. Dambyrds

@Gemayel: It seems like a lot of people with the cycle code of 20191005 seems to have wonderfully been chosen for a 45 day review. I had the same exact thing. Got a Ta now I’m waiting till he calls back on 4/23

76. Alicia

F/A 1-28-19, processed 2-13-19. Offset on 2-25-19. Mailed in IS on 2-24-19 and it was received on 3-18-19. This was my husband’s debt for a student loan but I made all of the money. Called BOFS last week and now I have an offest of a student loan as welI. So will they just take the refund from his debt and put it towards mine or what? All of this waiting is horrible.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Just waiting: The 9001 has various meanings but Id verify is one of the most common. You might want to call and see if you have a letter coming.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Denise K: Watch for a 766, reversal of refund applied to an Irs non debt on your transcript, that will give you a clue that they are refunding part of the amount. I’m not sure about the wmr, since its going to be manually posted and sometimes the wmr doesn’t update until later. You might go here and see if you can find any other information that could help you.