When does IRS accept tax returns in 2019?

The IRS begins accepting and processing tax returns on January 28, 2019.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2019?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2019.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2019 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2019 tax season (2018 tax year) have been updated with 2019 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

TurboTax Live TaxAct H&R Block

1. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

@PatientlyWaitingInNO.LA: yes they gonna take it but it won’t slow you down if there is some left over after they take it will goto you

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Dcymond: It doesn’t have to update first on Ssa to be processed since it is a w2 and those don’t update on ssa until they are recieved by the employer not the Irs so you could possibly see an update on your refund before the ssa updates with your income.

3. Bree

My cycle code for last year is 20180605. I don’t have one for this year yet but what does that cycle code mean?

4. Dcymone
      TX
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • RN 1541, TC 570, Weekly

So my taxes were flagged because my employer hadn’t turned in my w2 yet. My income on the SSA sight still shows the missing income even though my TA as well as my employer have reported the income. Will the SSA have to update as well first or could I still see some movement since all my proof was turned in to the IRS?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Nicole: there’s a transcript update tomorrow. Hopefully you’ll get some good changes

6. Shalonda
      North Carolina
      Turbo tax
    • Weekly

@Ashley: me too

7. Amy Spence
      NJ
      Turbo Tax Advance Card
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • Weekly

@PatientlyWaitingInNO.LA: you should get the remainder on your ddd offsets do not delay your refund

8. Nicole
      MS
      Chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2

Called the IRS several times. Each time told similar answer. They said that there was an error that was corrected on 2/21 and it was closed on 2/25. Transcripts still blank with as of date 2/25. Resequenced maybe?

9. Shalonda
      North Carolina
      Turbo tax
    • Weekly

I had 6 letters from IRS today and guess what it was all blank transcripts dated back March 1 and I had transcripts faxed on March 8 2019…. totally filled out with 570 code and 20191005 and 3-25-2019 date …

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Girley3275: I think thats very good news. Any movement on the Wmr is a good indication things are moving forward.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@PatientlyWaitinginNOLA: i honestly don’t know that much about how states work with liens but you might find something in the state forum if you want to try there. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

12. Girley3275

@Sheila_33: On 2/16 my wmr went from being processed to saying my refund was delayed with code 1541. I checked my transcripts and had code 570 as of date 03/04 and then the following week a code 971 as of date 03/11. I checked WMR on 03/01 and it’s back to saying my refund is being processed… I did receive a cp05 letter but was wondering if it’s a good sign that WMR went back to being processed? Hoping for a DDD soon!!!

13. PatientlyWaitingInNO.LA
      LA
      NetSpend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

I really need help with this state tax lien against my federal refund…

14. PatientlyWaitingInNO.LA
      LA
      NetSpend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@Sheila_33: i have a lien against my tax refund from Louisiana Department of Revenue.. do you know how long it will take for them to take their money and get me my refund? The lien is actually against last year’s refund, but I got audited last year and am in the process of sending in proof. But I’m guessing they will take it from this years refund if I don’t get audited and everything goes through, right? I’m so confused..

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Aliesha: its possible. Just don’t get your hopes up too much in case it doesn’t. I honestly never know what the irs is capable of so I don’t set my sights too high lol.

16. PatientlyWaitingInNO.LA
      LA
      NetSpend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@eric529: hey, you have helped me before with some questions and I see you help a lot of people.. I have a lien against my tax refund from Louisiana Department of Revenue.. do you know how long it will take for them to take their money and get me my refund? The lien is actually against last year’s refund, but I got audited and am in the process of sending in proof. But I’m guessing they will take it from this years refund if I don’t get audited and everything goes through, right? I’m so confused..

17. Aliesha
      Ga
      Wellsfargo
      Take Action
      Apr-3
    • TT 152, RN 1541, Weekly

@Sheila_33: can it move today? Like the advocate just sent them my stuff Monday or Tuesday. I got them to fax my stuff to me this morning. I’m a weekly so I should have waited til tomorrow but I was like wth. Why not lol. I don’t exactly need the refund at the moment hut it would be niceness. Never had a problem in the past.

• RN 9001, Weekly

Airiel: you just haven’t processed yet. Hopefully you processed today and it will be reflected on your transcript tomorrow. A lot of people are dealing with the id verify

19. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Airiel: do not be alarmed about this.. I’m in a similar situation except for I had to still being processed up until last week I had to ID verify and two days later and went to be a process my transcripts are also blank it says in a and that no tax return has been filed I update on Fridays and Saturdays Friday for the transcripts Saturday on where’s my refund I think you should probably wait and see if something happens tomorrow on your transcripts if you’re a weekly

20. Ashley

@Bridget: hi there, yes I was sent the letter for forms on healthcare on 2/25… I went back into processing on 3/5… on 3/8 was the first time I have seen ANY movement… I only have the 570 code and 971 twice on my transcripts with 3/25 as of date which was 2/25 whenever I filed on 1/28 🤦🏾‍♀️ I’m over it with a TA also done

21. MandyB
      TX
      Bank of America
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • Weekly

@Airiel: have you called them?

22. Airiel

omg i was accepted 1/28 then received the id verify letter. verified online, lost bars now when i check my refund status and i get cannot provide any information about you return with 9001. transcript is blank. it’s like i didn’t even file. my transcript says i did not file a return for this year.

23. Tasia

Im in Florida waiting on my boyfriend tax refund offset for child support. The offset line said payment dated for 3-11-2019.. How long does it take? *FLORIDA ONLY*

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Juliea: those don’t usually update with your wages until later in the year. Not as important

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Sarah: mine was an audit. I could see my transcripts online and the end of January the audit code popped up. Faxed all my info in. Over 80 pages. Had adopted my 5 grandkids 3 years earlier. Had filed the same way, same exemptions, same everything. Except that was my first year of self employment. Husband couldn’t work he’d had a double bypass after being a fireman for 20 years. Ended up getting my refund the end of June. It all worked out fine.

26. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

@Irs-is-not-even-part-of-government: thats horrible… Im not accepting those circumstances lol

27. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Bree: i hope so

28. Sarah
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@Sheila_33: What happened with yours last year?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Sarah: i know exactly what you mean. Just tell me what you want so I can get my refund lol. I was lucky enough last year to get some nice reps that knew what they were looking at and explained things.

30. Irs-is-not-even-part-of-government

@Nae Bae: last time I had a 570 which is also the last time I was able to view transcripts. I got a check on April 14th

31. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

@Tigerlili_1: great day be waking uo with a ddd

32. Bridget
      NC - North Carolina
      First National

@Ashley: hey have you seen any movement yet? Believe we had the same scenario where we had to fax the healthcare forms? Faxed mine on 3/4 but if I remember correctly you got yours in about a week or so earlier. No movement for me and irs just says 4 to 6 weeks

33. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

My 570 is dated 2/25 and it’s been up since atleast 2/12

34. Sarah

@Sheila_33: Sneaky IRS people lol. I did get a super nice lady on the phone though. Joking and funny. At least I got a laugh out of the phone call. I am hoping it is just a simple delay. I am always afraid of the worst. Like waiting and then come that date they say they need extra stuff. Like just tell me what to do ill do it to get my money faster! This waiting is the worst. I have never had to wait before. Its like being put into refund purgatory.

35. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

@Sarah: you’re a daily then… I know my heart stopped for a second lol.

36. Sarah

@Nae Bae: Mine is 04 also. I just saw mine and was like OMG NOOOO Not longer haha. Fingers crossed

37. Jenn
      LA
      Netspend
      Take Action
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice

My advocate stated she submitted my wages to the exam dept and she is waiting on reply from them. She said they have until the 19th to respond. And she will call me back 4/15/19 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Sarah: that 3/25 they see by the 570 and assume that’s when the review starts. 570 is not necessarily a review. it could be a simple delay. The rep sees the 570 and it’s scripted for a review as a worst case scenario. That way you don’t call back before 45 days.

39. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

@Sarah: me too. 🤞🏼 crossed. Im hoping so. That 04/01 threw me off this morning. But I hope we update with a 846 next week or the week of 3/25. You’re probably a daily. I have always been a weekly 05… but this year I am updating Wednesday into Thursdays and my cycle ends in 04

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Aliesha: i know it’s frustrating as hell lol. You need that 3/4 date to start moving again. Once that happens you’re back in processing and should update soon after.

41. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

@Sheila_33: thank you.

42. Sarah

@Nae Bae: I really hope we get our date that week or sooner then also! I need my money haha they are playing with my emotions right now. Im not sure how often I update the whole system behind that confuses me but I have always on a Thursday so far. And why do they make people wait so long to find out they are under a review!? If I didnt have access to my transcripts we just would not know until April 1st? SMH but if we owed them some money we would get a call and letter the day of and every day after lol

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Nae Bae: best thing to do is check tomorrow. Its very possible that 971 is just a letter explaining the delay and I have my fingers crossed that those with the 3/25 are going to update to a refund code this week.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Bree: haven’t processed yet but check tomorrow they may possibly update. And congrats on seeing them online. That’s a celebration in itself lol

45. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Bree: same boat I verified on the 5th and started processing on the 7th

46. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

@Sarah: 4/01 is suppose to be the date they are sending us a letter about the 570 hold. Im pretty sure itll be one of those “your under a 45 day review you don’t need to do anything” bits… alot pf people were told they didn’t start their review until that processing date and got a ddd the same week of that date. Some people have said that date is when they have to do something to the the return or it pushes out another week…

47. Bree

I Can Finally see transcripts online !!!!!!! At first I had “as of” date March 4 now it says March 25 what does that mean. Transcripts are still N/a I verified Feb 25 and I began processing again on Feb 27. Any Insight?

48. Sarah

@Nae Bae: what does the extra code and 4/1 mean though? I called and she just gave me the same thing. Under review. Doesnt see that I need to do anything and now says my 45 day review starts on 3/25. Um what?!

49. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

@Sarah: yeah sounds like it lol… my 570 has 3/25 as well

50. Sarah

@Nae Bae: I think ours are identical haha. I filed feb 5th though.

51. Tigerlili_1
      WA, CA, Ut
      PenFed
      3rd Bar
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, Identity Theft

@Ashley: They update all day thru out the day.

52. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: I’ll tell her to try

53. Sarah

@Sheila_33: it says 4/1 Ive had the 570 with with 3-25 date. I am getting so frustrated

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Mommyof3: is she able to pull her transcripts? They may be looking at the education credit, but they don’t seem to be reviewing those as hard as they did last year. If she can order her transcripts or fax them she could see what’s going on but she may just update this Saturday.

55. Aliesha
      Ga
      Wellsfargo
      Take Action
      Apr-3
    • TT 152, RN 1541, Weekly

@Sheila_33: Mine is wage verification. I’ve sent everything to the tax advocate and she sent it all in. Just waiting. I did get a letter earlier in the week saying I was in a 45 day review crap but I already knew that. My dates are 3/4 and 4/15. Date at the top is 3/4. I hope I update this weekend. I mean they have everything damn it lol.

56. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

@Sheila_33: I also updated to a 971 this morning 04/01. As of date is 2/25 and processing date is 3/25. Any ideas?

57. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: and her job

58. Mommyof3
      Michigan
      One Detroit credit union
    • 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: ok so my sister filed in the 15th she had a bar all the way until this sat she processed to still being processed Saturday she’s not claiming anything but college

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Sarah: 971 is a letter sent, what’s your as of date?

60. Nae Bae
      CA
      BofA
      Jun-22
      Jun-27
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

@Sarah: my transcripts updated the same. 971 is a notice being sent on the date next to it (04/01).

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Omg_no: if they get it into processing quick which it seems like they have been doing hopefully you’ll see something soon.

62. blueyesmotherof7

Mz Tina sorry about the typo. I filed and excepted on feb 2 and I’ve been on still processing since feb 22 nothing has changed for me but I also haven’t called because I figured they would just tell me the same thing that I was under review. That’s seems what they are telling everyone

63. Sarah

My tax transcripts finally changed. Now I have a 971 with the date 4/1/19 what does that mean?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Blueyesmotherof7: you need the account transcript but I would wait until after Saturdays update to see if anything changes on wmr. If not then if I was you I’d consider a ta

65. Mz Tina

Anyone was told they had to get there wages verified. I am under a 45 day review until my wages are verified. Exactly how long does this take and can I get help to push the progress??@TooTiredofWaiting: If you dont mind me asking how did you get in touch with a tax advocate? I filed 2/9 and just found out today I am under 45 day review due to my wages needed to be verified.

66. blueyesmotherof7

Sheila_33 Good afternoon which transcript is the one I need to get that will have the 846 code? I still haven’t updated at all. I’m wondering if I should get a TA

67. Tigerlili_1
      WA, CA, Ut
      PenFed
      3rd Bar
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, Identity Theft

@eric529: Everyday we wake up is a good day, right!

68. Mz Tina

69. Ashley
      MA
      TD Bank
    • Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2, Premium Tax Credit 8962

@Jchick: o om then are you daily?

70. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Injured Spouse

@Tigerlili_1: hello how are you today

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Omg_no: depending on how fast they get it manually addressed I’ve seen an average of 3 to 4 weeks.

• RN 9001, Weekly

If that’s the date as of today then that code could be a review but if it’s from a transcript that you received in the mail then it could have pushed out a week or two. Check your wmr on Saturday for any changes in wording. If it’s still processing you have a chance of updating.

73. Tigerlili_1
      WA, CA, Ut
      PenFed
      3rd Bar
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, Identity Theft

@Jchick: That will depend on the posting procedures of your credit union. You should call and ask them.

74. Jchick

So I have a ddd for 3-19 and I have credit union would there be a chance it could come earlier

75. TooTiredofWaiting
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099, W2, Premium Tax Credit 8962
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 571, TC 971, TC 846, CP05 Notice, Weekly

I talked to my tax advocate finally I had to blow her up but she said she got my faces information sitting right in front of her but today she has to close out her cases and she had me on schedule for tomorrow! Thank GOD!!!! I just feel better that I actually talked to her!!

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Candi: They’re aware of it because of the code, but you will definitely need to call and confirm and they should send a check out pretty quick.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Zommie: Whats your date beside the 570?

78. Candi
      Tx
      Metabank
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • Weekly

@Sheila_33: Thank you! I didn’t get that code until today. They sent it on 02-27-19 but my bank rejected it. I have been waiting since then to see if the irs got it back yet. Maybe the code means they finally got it. I guess I’ll call tomorrow and check.

• RN 9001, Weekly

@BreeAnn: I believe so, lol.

80. BreeAnn
      WV
      PayPal CashCard
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Schedule C, 1099
    • TT 152, RN 9001, 5071C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: you confused her with me.

81. Zommie

So I just checked my transcript and at the bottom I see the 570 assist on review etc etc I’m fucked :0

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Candi: On your wmr, it means that your direct deposit didn’t go thru and they are going to issue a check

83. Candi
      Tx
      Metabank
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • Weekly

@Sheila_33: I have code 1502 what does that mean?

• RN 9001, Weekly

@Bree: Ok, sorry, there are a bunch of you with the id verify and I confused you with someone else. Once you go back into processing, that transcript will fill in. Today, is a big processing day so I would check tomorrow and see if they have updated with any codes.

85. Brit-in-Indiana

well if my trans end up changing or anything i will post update lost bars last Saturday as well and it still says same thing I don’t think I will know anything until aleast next week or the week after but it’s coming soon. Our return is pretty simple same as last years so I hope all is good.

@eric529: My as of date kept shifting forward and shifting back