When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

1. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@Sheila_33: right lol!

2. staci
    • Weekly

Hi everyone, I have been trying to fax docs to the irs for a few days now, each time it says “busy” and if I call the irs you only get automated service due tot he covid 19…and to make matter worse! my stimulus check was deposited into a closed acct. (which I closed months ago and updated my new bank info in jan. with I filed tax returns.) so now I have to wait on paper check which hopefully won’t go to the wrong address!

3. StillWaitingVa
      Virginia
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@$$$$: Did you have the same message as everyone else? The, “Your check will be mailed by April 24th?”

4. Michelle68

So yesterday I saw people saying they seen their checks coming by informed mail! Did you guys get it

5. Simple

@Nika911: last year I wait till OCTOBER AND THERE WASNT NO PANDEMIC!!! I don’t understand why the it’s processing centers gotta close THEY DONT HAVE PEOPLE CONTACT! Spread them cubicles 6 feet apart and give the people what they owed

6. Matt H
      TaxSlayer
      NC
      N26
    • Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, Tax Refund Offset, Weekly

@Sheila_33: it says completed on the 17th and if you have not received a notice and would like to speak to a representative the call 800-829-0582 ext 633

I amended after the original was processed.

7. Nika911

@sheila33 . Did u get my message? It’s a tax return questions. I know the world got distracted like the govn planned but are we still able to ask tax return questions here because I been up here for yeats now and I cant seem to find a tx return . Not STIMULUS. I want my regular big
    ret urn next year .dnt want that

8. Nika911

@Simple: he need to explain where our TAX REFUNDS been MONTHS now. We been waiti ng since january. So I dont give no fuggggggs bout that stimulus. Good luck to u of course if u receive one.s but try and wait 4 months for money OWED to us. Prolly did but I’m still waiting amongst others and waiting for some one up here to answer my TAX TETURN question . Or is there another forum I can start to go to. This site got distracted with the stimulus checks like govn planned. And we forgot bout changes THTS OWED TO US. What n the world I know we all in a matrix but daag. Where is .my refund. I’m done. Lol

@Matt H: What exactly is the Wmar saying? And if you sent in the amended before the original return processed, have you checked the regular Wmr?

@Mbry0625: Well, that’s one step closer, lol. Resist that urge.

11. Tx2step

I’m not one of those relying on this payment to pay bills. Fortunately I am still working. I’ve been working from home for almost a month now. However I want my payment bc based on the Act I’m eligible for it. Its very frustrating that you follow what they say to do and here it is a week later and no clue on when you’re going to see some type of payment. It’s BS. And there has to be someone held accountable for this shit show

12. Nisa

@Des: This is exactly wat happened to me….i put mine on hold too, i dont know why they would jus send people a check not knowing if they still live there!!! Im beyond pissed

13. Matt H
      TaxSlayer
      NC
      N26
    • Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, Tax Refund Offset, Weekly

@Sheila_33: I can’t access them online. Still waiting waiting for the code in the mail that hasn’t came yet

14. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@KelH: yeah definitely. trust my husband has been furloughed. i am 36 weeks pregnant. we don’t qualify for any assistance. Florida’s unemployment is the worst in all of the country right now. my husband applied in Middle of march and nothing still. I am trying to work as far as i can so we can manage. I get the stress.

15. KelH
      Advance

@Mbry0625: Thank you but honestly I’m not stressing it’s just more of annoying then stress because right now there’s people out here that really cannot pay their bills I think God that I’m not one of those people but still it’s annoying to not know what’s going on

16. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@KelH: I feel bad that you’re stressing this badly. I hope something happens for us. I know it’s frustrating and hard right now but let’s just keep hope :)

17. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@Sheila_33: No updates for me but i was able to get back in lol. I won’t check again until i see other people. can’t afford to get locked back out again haha.

18. KelH

@Bridget36: I feel the same way

19. Shaysbackagain

@Bridget36: I updated last week and supposedly getting a check mailed Friday. Lettuce pray. Lol

20. Bridget36

Still no update for me just the same stupid message but I really think the ones of us who updated our dd info last Wednesday won’t get a dd until next week. Kind of wish I hadn’t updated anything so I might of got a check this week lol

21. Des

Smh I put a temp hold on my mail for the rest of the week cause i moved so irs has my old address and they take up to 3 weeks to process change of address.wich is kinda lame considering they cant forward irs checks however if it comes to post office with my name and it has a hold on it hopefully they wont send it bk! They dont understand that’s y alot of people tried updating there bank info so they can get a dd not a damn check smhhhhhh. This is so damn dumb.that portal ain’t worth a damn it told me my refund would be dd in my account just to all of a sudden change to a check being mailed! Wtf

@Matt H: Are you able to see transcripts? Normally, it can take a couple of weeks to cycle thru and update to a check sent.

23. Strawberryletters24
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2
    • 4464C Letter

Still no update

24. Matt H
      TaxSlayer
      NC
      N26
    • Schedule C, W2
    • TT 152, Tax Refund Offset, Weekly

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive a check from an amended return after the status changes to completed?

25. Hello

Has anybody got their tax money refunded after it being taken for a student loan? I got a letter saying they would be sending me a check. Just wondered if anyone has yet to actually see a check in that case.

26. Tperry

If the people that put in their direct deposit information on last week are now getting checks that are dated the 24th, I wonder if they are holding off on DD until then too since the system was technically not supposed to be up until the 17th. I do not see updating one group and not the other. Makes you wonder.

27. saintike

Guys, I got this from cbs news online just now:

“That’s what Jason Hale, 25, of Oak Park, Illinois, believes happened with his stimulus check. When he tried to use the site last week, it told him his status wasn’t available. But he said he had filed his 2019 tax returns several weeks ago and received a refund. Days later the IRS website gave him an answer: His stimulus check will be arriving via direct deposit on April 22.

“I think they just didn’t finish processing my stimulus money yet to be ready to go into my account,” he told CBS MoneyWatch. “I think I just wasn’t in that 80 million who got their payments on April 15.”

28. Shaysbackagain

@texasgirl00: thanks for the encouragement. I miss church and singing on our praise and worship team right about now. I got a 12 mini scholar I’m trying to home school. Mind you she goes to nationally ranked high school, takes Latin and violin and I’m looking at her like sis that’s out of my department. She is eating every 15 seconds. It just dawned on my our veterans service commission is open and I can go apply for financial help. Like, duh you’re a veteran, at least go get money for groceries.See my brain is scattered right now. Lol

29. Kelsey
      California
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Identity Theft

@$$$$: ppl though they see checks yesterday do you see it coming from the irs and what address

30. Question..

Just my thought – I think everyone saying info updated by Thursday starts this week and not last week too.

Considering the program from irs released wedneday the 15th – 2 days early and wasn’t suppose to go live until Friday the 17th.

31. Simple

What happened to the guy that claimed he was from the irs!!! WE NEED TO KNOW WHY HAVEN’T WE RECEIVED OUR DIRECT DEPOSITS YET ITS BEEN ALMOST A WEEK?? Or even updated yet!!! When the next update suppose to be

32. Lucy
      Jackson Hewitt
      Serve

Still stuck I swear I’ll never update

33. Simple

@Shaysbackagain: they suppose to be passing a 350 billion bill am for small businesses again today!!! Stay on the lookout so u can get the help u deserve don’t give up everything will work out!!! Only way to go is up from here

34. KinFl
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099

And now I just checked my informed delivery and still absolutely nothing. I’m just done

35. texasgirl00

@Shaysbackagain: you tell him he hear your and our prayers. we got this lady. it will be over soon stay strong be encouraged know that God can and will

36. Texasrosie817

No movement on the get my payment since I’ve been through my info on Thursday no movement on my refund still processing tax topic 152 but today I have an appointment with my ta she’s supposed to be calling me and giving me an update so prayers everything goes well and I will update you guys when I hear from her.

37. texasgirl00

@Shaysbackagain: you and all of us both. and prayers to u and your child. stay strong and stay prayed up God got us. remember that. but if we dont go thru hard things how would God know what we can handle. we got to stay strong not only for our children our families but for ourself. no one is going to take care of our families (kids) better than our selves. STAY SAFE!!!!!!

38. MelloDello53
      VA
      American Express Serve/stimulus received 4/10/20
    • Schedule C, 1099

@KelH: No this is actually a friend and this changed for her last week from direct deposit to delivering a check on the 24th. I already received mine through direct deposit for the 15th on the 10th because I have the serve card.

39. MelloDello53
      VA
      American Express Serve/stimulus received 4/10/20
    • Schedule C, 1099

@Simple: No this is actually a friend and this changed for her last week from direct deposit to delivering a check on the 24th. I already received mine through direct deposit for the 15th on the 10th because I have the serve card.

40. Shaysbackagain

I just need to vent a little. Being a single parent with no help is already hard as it is and now this covid-19 just added to it. My small business has been closed since Mar 12th. Funds for small business loans ran out because big businesses got millions. Ohio’s portal for self employedd unemployment will not available until mid May so no help there and now waiting on a paper check for my stimulus. I’m beyond discouraged at this point. I cry at night when my daughter is sleep sometimes because this is all crazy. I just want my life back.

41. KelH

@MelloDello53: what was your situation

42. NotLoggedInGalFromVA

@Simple: It really is so crazy. So many people counted on this money to relieve some of the stresses from COVID and it looks like people are going to be waiting forever to get anything.

43. MelloDello53
      VA
      American Express Serve/stimulus received 4/10/20
    • Schedule C, 1099

@KelH: THIS IS WHAT IT SAYS FOR ME:

Payment Status
    We scheduled your check to be mailed on April 24, 2020 to the address we have on file for you.

We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.

If you need additional help or do not receive your payment, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

44. stillpissedinlouisiana

@Donavin: Me too been waiting a very long time is there anything we can do?

45. NotLoggedInGalFromVA

@Simple: I’m not sure how early they do send them but when they sent funds for 4/15, some banks/cards released as early as the Friday before. So its usually days before.

46. Simple

@NotLoggedInGalFromVA: what if the deposit date is for Friday that would make the early cards get them starting wenesday right?

47. KelH
      Advance

@texasgirl00: if you checked the portal and it said a payment was made on the 15th and it shows a account number that you do not Recognize then it went to your tax preparer and you need to call them and see what they are doing that happen to my friend and she got her check in the mail from her preparer yesterday the check only comes from the irs if they sent the payment to the preparer and it was rejected then you will that your getting a check mailed and a date

48. texasgirl00

@Sly35: so is it the tax places that will have our stimulus checks or they will be mailed to us directly from the IRS? and does it mean we will have by 24th or mailed on 24th which may not be the exact date as there are millions of americans who hadnt gotten anything yet. like me

49. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

@NotLoggedInGalFromVA: yeah I have no clue may not get an update until Thursday night or Friday. I’m trying not to stress it.

50. NotLoggedInGalFromVA

@Mbry0625: I’m glad you were finally able to log in. I dont know why it’s taking so long to update. I honestly think that they are not depositing until next week. I think them saying if you updated by Thursday/Friday, then you’ll have it within a few days, starts this week. Not last. We all know they send funds early to banks. We would’ve started seeing deposits already on early release cards/banks if they had actually sent these EIP’s out.

51. KinFl

@KelH: I know. It’s frustrating and demoralizing. To be honest I will be surprised to see anything at this point. I’m trying really hard not to think about it.

52. KelH
      Advance

@Nc86: so your saying someone that you know got a date they normally file their taxes every year and they put their information in that Friday after the portal open and he got a date for direct deposit? Not talking about the non fileR portal

53. Mbry0625
      TurboTax GD
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 846, Weekly

Well no update but I am finally not locked out anymore lol

54. KelH
      Advance

@Crystal: yeah here in pa it’s biweekly too but she did her biweekly claim last Tuesday and nothing

55. KelH

@Nc86: kind of??? This is horrible beyond sucking at this point

56. KelH
      Advance

@KinFl: smh people that are getting checks mailed out have gotten updates of a date people who entered their direct deposit information last Wednesday are still up the air

57. Nc86

I put mine information in the same day the portal opened and still have not had any movement! Kind of sucks.

58. Crystal
      Apr-6
      Apr-6
      Bank of America
      Apr-19
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

@KelH: he filled in Florida and has got around 2 checks but in Florida it’s biweekly so around 4 weeks ago but got a $540 check in the mail yesterday.

59. Nc86

@Simple: He is a filer and he got an update over the weekend. He said he didn’t check the GMP until sunday. So he’s not sure when he got the update. He did not do direct deposit on his taxes this year. He done check in the mail. So we went in on Friday and put his DD information in and had a update over the weekend.

60. KinFl

@KelH: I haven’t gotten any unemployment as of yet. Right now I’m owed three weeks. All the bills are paid up to this month but it takes one late payment to start the snowball to no return. I checked the transcripts, nothing. IRS, nothing. People are getting updates for the 24tg and the 27th. If I was making 70K I wouldn’t be so upset. But I make a lot less This whole experience tells me there is way too much red tape and bureaucracy.

61. KelH
      Advance

@KinFl: smh I don’t because the irs was Apparently correcting the situation with the GMP so after they set it up and we enter Ted our information they should’ve been sending our the system is messed up and no one if fixing it the same with my daughters unemployment

62. Nc86

@Stupified: Good question! I have someone I work with who put his in on Friday and has a date. I put mine in the same day and nothing! Still stuck on the gm.

63. Simple

Get my payment tool was a way for them to distract us because they going to be stalling the direct deposit payments ain’t no way it should take a week to deposit the next payments should’ve been at least 3 to five business days just like a Purchase refund.

64. KelH
      Advance

@Crystal: Did he do a new claim because she hasn’t been on unemployment she literally just filed about maybe a month ago and she did her biweekly claim about a week or so ago I believe on the 12th for the weeks before and she hasn’t gotten any payment or anything I just went in and it look like it allowed me to file for this week or last week for her but she has a email confirmation that she filed for the weeks that she was supposed to put in the system it does not look like she did anything it just says no payments and so foul your initial clean as she did

65. KelH

67. Crystal
      Apr-6
      Apr-6
      Bank of America
      Apr-19
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

@KelH: thanks .. still have no stimulus though but looks like tax refund is coming.

68. KelH
      Advance

I swear the government really f&@ked is good! No stimulus no unemployment payments for first time filers like nothing I didn’t get my money my daughter didn’t get her unemployment

69. KinFl

@KelH: lol. I’m so over this. No update, no check no nothing. Now I understand how frustrating it is not to receive your tax refund. I put this on TT’s and SBBT’s shoulders. Jerks should have just done what they were supposed to do everyone would be ok.

70. KelH
      Advance

@Crystal: if you got an advance and you see it’s deposited or whatever then sometimes later that day or the next day they normally say 24 hours for the it to be on your card but mine was like 4-5pm that same day

71. KelH

@KinFl: me too I got a big butt I think I can make it lol

72. KelH
      Advance

I thought this link was going to say something about the people who entered their information because it was updated 30 mins ago but nope it doesn’t it goes right back to checks being sent out it says head of household will not get a check until late July smh so much for helping the economy

73. KinFl

*%#! I’m going to sell my body on the street corner now.

74. Crystal
      Apr-6
      Apr-6
      Bank of America
      Apr-19
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

When I see that my refund moves thru sbtg when should I receive my refund in my account

@Jrsmith1216: Yes, there are some still waiting for refunds. This health crisis has slowed everything down and unfortunately, a few of you are stuck because of it.

76. KelH
      Advance

Drum roll….still nothing check back later

77. KelH
      Advance

@LynJ: Lol what you going to do if you don’t??? Because your not so whatever your going to do you better plan it tonight I keep telling y’all we not getting shit the people that are suppose to be getting checks will have there money that get my payment doesn’t work!

78. Jrsmith1216

does anyone still talk about their taxes here? Is anyone else still waiting like me… its been months with no movement, can’t even call…

79. Joeinfo411
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099, W2

If you love your GOV and it’s Money, you shouldn’t be mad,
    Your program to wait for them to take care of you. that’s why they can give you the money whenever they want. {UNDER CONTROL}

80. LynJ
      OH

Entered my DD Wednesday and still no update on GMP!!
    What the actual F!!!
    I better see the deposit tomorrow 😡💢🤬

81. Tx2step

Who knows what the IRS is doing at this point. Seems dumb as hell to encourage everyone to update bank info in order to get funds faster and almost a week later…no funds, no update, nothing.

82. Sly305

@Tx2step: yeah only checked once like 3 days ago and have been locked out since.. Doesn’t seem any updates anyway I guess so in not missing anything

83. Steve in Florida

@Tx2step: mine says that same crap since giving that useless app my DD info last Wednesday.

84. Tx2step

@Sly35: Really? Bizarre. Yes I’ve probably checked it twice a day (sometimes more) since last Wed. The app is unstable, some can access whether others can’t. Makes no sense at all.