When does IRS accept tax returns in 2020?

This is the date the IRS began accepting tax returns on January 27, 2020.

When Can You File Taxes in 2020?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2020.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2020 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2020 tax season (2019 tax year) have been updated with 2020 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

The refund calendar by the College Investor is a good reference which has been updated for 2020 here:  When To Expect My Tax Refund.

IRS Update Cycle for Transcripts and WMR

TurboTax Refund Status Jackson Hewitt H&R Block

1. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      BBVA Compass

Oh to add…. last year was the first time in a few years (since security breach) I was able to access my account transcripts since I had opened a credit card after declaring bankruptcy in 2017. I realized the card was fnnnn crap and closed it out last October. So as of now I can’t recertify my account and have no mortgage, car payments, loans or CCs to verify it , so I can’t check my codes. I was livid when I realized I had to recertify my account the other week.

Oh to know the codes and as of dates Right now!!!!!

@StillWaitingVa: I guess I’m not understanding, what do you mean subtracted?

@StillWaitingVa: The 150 is your return received code.

@Karma: Completely normal, lol

5. •°Karma°•
      Cali
      BBVA Compass

Oye.

Filed 1/31/2020 for Tax year ’19

Aceepted for Fed/State 1/31

Path message 2/7

Haven’t yet received my State??? Heard they’re holding up Cali Credits due to new credits.

Waiting in limbo with all of you. Ohh and as much as I sooo know about wayyy to much tax crap, I cannot remember for the life of me , if you get the path message .does your amount drop off from the left side on WMR? Only cause last year was the only time I saw that since the path was enacted. Help? Please??? Eeeek 😬😬😬😬

Moving on…

2018 filing…I got the path message….no issues. DD first week of March. Quite surprised after dealing with crap previous 2 yrs.

2017… I had the still being processed verbage and had to do ID Verify. Didn’t receive refund until mid April.

2016….Was under Audit for Income Verification and thrown under the bus until Mid September. Had to jump through hoops to even be allowed to have an advocate and she still took her time.

All years of filing from the time I started working til 2016 filing year, I had absolutely no issues. Always received my refund a week after filing. Received notice of DD on Sunday mornings for deposits the following Wednesday of DDD post.

Weekly, I presume. And even with all the hold ups in recent years, always updated Saturday/Sundays and Wednesday deposit after.

I hope we all have some good news this coming week.

Kkkk….soooo can anyone tell me if that’s normal for the path message to be there and the amount gone on the side.

Pls….Haaallllpp!!!

@Bigl354: With the timing and everything, its very possible. This has been an awfully slow year for processing so far, so seeing transcripts update gives me hope they’re getting things into gear.

7. StillWaitingVa
      Virginia
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@Sheila_33: So, if there’s an amount by the 150 code…that’s subtracted from the other amounts by 766, 768 etc?

@Refundplease: If you have no path, yes, you should see an 846 on your account transcript update, if there are no other issues.

9. Bigl354

@Sheila_33: thanks cause 2years ago when I was able to order them my wmr updated that Saturday last year was different I don’t know if it was cause of the Gov shutdown but I got my fingers crossed for Saturday I’m a weekly

@Bex in Cali: That cycle date is the date you posted to the master file, yesterday. Seventh week, fifth day of the irs tax year.

11. Refundplease

So if you have a cycle code 20200705 and no path.( Still waiting on account transcript to fill out). Return is filled out. Does that mean a DDD should be soon?

12. Bex in Cali

Apparently, according to my transcripts, I have the Additional child Tax credit. Which is probably why this is going so slow too

@Janel120: Just check them again later. They update all day.

@Big!354: Only if there is change in your filing, that the transcript line would recognize that has changed, that gives you a clue that theres been movement on them.

@Devinator: Means there’s progress, you may not even update to the path message.

16. Leap8
      Ohio
      Bancorp
    • Weekly

@MarylandGirl: yes they say they give our deposits 2 days early. So even with the vigorous waiting. Hopefully early ddd for us means even earlier deposit. Fingers crossed!

17. Devinator

@Sheila_33: hi Steph, looks like return transcript is ready , all four is ready. I still can’t open them but it’s good news. Also still on 1 bar 152 no path message still.

18. Bigl354

Question, so if you’re able to order your transcripts by mail for this year does that mean you have finished processing?

@Trisha: It means things are moving, good step in the right direction.

20. Bex in Cali

Doesn’t help that I’m stuck om the night shift in the office with nothing to do but worry lol

21. MarylandGirl
      Maryland
      Chime
    • Daily

@Leap8: This is my first year depositing my refund check with Chime. Good to know it may deposit early!

22. Trisha

@Sheila_33: I wasn’t able to order my return transcript for 2019 with my new address yesterday but I just checked now and I am able to order both my account and return transcripts and with my new address. That means I am done processing, correct? I’m a weekly pather.

@Bex in Cali: means thats what they owe you

24. Bex in Cali

On the bottom of the transcript why does it have a -(negative sign) in front of my refund amount? Does that mean I’m not getting anything? These are confusing to read

25. Trisha

@Steph336: I wasn’t able to order my return transcript for 2019 with my new address yesterday but I just checked now and I am able to order it and with my new address. That means I am done processing, correct? I’m a weekly pather.

26. Leap8
      Ohio
      Bancorp
    • Weekly

@IHATETAXTIME2019: hi how are you? Will this be your first time depositing to Chime? Cause this year I’m also using them for the first time. All previous years been netspend and got mine up to 3 days early. Really hoping they deposit early

27. Leap8
      Ohio
      Bancorp
    • Weekly

@Bex in Cali: you checked your transcripts online? Cycle code is basicaly what determine if you may be a weekly or daily. From date of acceptance to date actually posted to master file. Usually when it takes less than a week you are daily or that you are a weekly. Which in moajority cases helps to know when you will update to see changes on WMR.

28. IHATETAXTIME2019
      PA
      Chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), 1099, W2

@Bex in Cali: April 15th is the last day for anyone to file their taxes. This is on all of our scripts

29. IHATETAXTIME2019
      PA
      Chime

@Bex in Cali: no ma’am just telling you what day you posted to the master file. You should have an as of processing Date which is the date something needs to be done to your return, if not then get pushed out another week

30. IHATETAXTIME2019
      PA
      Chime

@Refundplease: probably still updating

31. Bex in Cali

And my cycle code is 20200705

Zero clue what this means….
    Does it mean I’ll be waiting till April to get the refund?

32. Leap8
      Ohio
      Bancorp
    • Weekly

@Steph336: hey hun good morning lol I see I’ve missed alot today. Horrible service in the Er smh So what’s the biggest updates I’ve missed?

33. Steph336
      NC
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Daily

@Bex in Cali: yes your transcripts are always free

34. Steph336
      NC
    • Daily

@Sharon O: I dont think it’s bad. I think it could just be resequencing.

35. Sharon O

@Steph336: @Steph336: I am in the same situation as Bex in Cali. My transcripts say N/A accept for the account transcript. They say return filed and have all zeros. There is an as of date of 1/24. Since the bar disappeared is that bad?

36. Steph336
      NC
    • Daily

@Worklife2020: give the transcripts more time. They update all day today.

37. Steph336
      NC
    • Daily

@Bex in Cali: it could be that since they are in the middle of posting right now you may notice some funky stuff going on with WMR. Can you view your transcripts?

38. Worklife2020

So lost. My transcript still saying not filed but shows married filing joint and has cycle code 20200705? Im so lost…..

39. Sharon O

@Bex in Cali: No it no longer says 21 days. But since my account transcripts had no amounts and an as of date of 1/24, people have said it probably was re sequenced. A lot of people who filed and were accepted on 1/27 seem to be seeing the same thing as us. I am a weekly also

40. Steph336
      NC
    • Daily

@stef: yes

41. Steph336
      NC
    • Daily

@Liteskin: if you have 846 then it would be 2/19

42. Bex in Cali

@Sharon O: it’s like…. Yay it updated! But, oh no… What does this mean? Does yours still say within 21 days? Mine doesn’t.