Transaction Code 570 and Delayed Tax Refunds

The current tax season is moving at a slower pace than last year.  We have noticed an uptick in complaints about refund timing and IRS Transaction Code 570. The IRS has reported an increase in tax returns filed, but they have issued almost a million less refunds compared to the same timeframe in 2017.  This might be why their website has seen a 17% increase in use.  Most taxpayers on igotmyrefund.com are reporting a delay in their tax refunds and reaching out to us regarding an issue with Transaction Code 570.  Because of the slower pace in tax season, taxpayers have been turning repeatedly to the Where’s My Refund tool on IRS.gov and repeatedly calling the IRS.  They have been left staring at at generic message “….your tax return is still being processed…” or in some cases, “…there is a delay in processing your tax return…”  This is leaving people with questions.  Phone calls to the IRS are not yielding much more than a scripted response that they are under review and to wait another 45-60 days. Oftentimes, they are being hung up on by representative answering the phones.  This leaves people frustrated.

Despite being told that WMR is the best way to check the status of their refund, taxpayers are checking their account online for other clues about delays. We have seen an increase in holds on refunds using TC570 and TC971 shown on their Account Transcripts. Our research shows that the these transaction codes are internal and can mean different things for individual taxpayers, but users are still trying to draw conclusions based on these transaction codes since they are very vague and nondescript. For instance, TC971 says a notice has been sent.  People are reporting they haven’t received anything in the mail and that they can’t seem to get an answer about what has been mailed when they call.

We have reached out to the IRS to find out if there is some sort of systemic issue concerning people seeing the TC570 on their Account Transcripts.  Our contact at the IRS is doing some checking and indicated they will get back in touch with us soon.  We will keep you updated as additional information is available.  But for now, this is what we know about TC 570, TC971 and dates on the Account Transcripts.

Transaction Code 570 and and Transaction Code 971

The Transaction Code 570 description says “Additional account action pending.” Our research shows that the 570 transaction code and others shown on account transcripts are internal and can mean different things for individual taxpayers.  Nonetheless, taxpayers are still trying to find a reason for tax refund delays based on these transaction codes since they are very vague and nondescript. For instance, TC971 says a notice has been sent, but our users are reporting they haven’t received anything in the mail; and that they can’t seem to get an answer about what has been mailed when they call. Again, oftentimes being hung up on my IRS representatives.

Dates on IRS Account Transcripts

To makes matters even more confusing, many transactions shown on account transcripts are post-dated.  We have yet to figure out a rhyme or reason why transactions would be dated 03-05-2018 or 03-12-2018 when March hasn’t even begun yet.  Also seen on Account Transcripts is the As Of Date.  We will write more about the different dates on IRS Account Transcripts in our next post.  In the meantime, join the live conversation here about tax refund delays.  Or, see what others have reported about their TC 570 here.

1. marie

Finally, I got a TA 4/23/18 and she got answers I needed. Nothing was needed on my return just the review process getting my refund 05/9!!!!

I would suggest a Tax advocate in your city I called all CALIFORNIAS and received a call within a day!

Good Luck

2. BrokeMomma

Finally got a DDD!!! Hang in there everyone, it’s almost over!! Been waiting with everyone and will finally get my money this week. My timeline:

Filed2/8
    Accepted 2/12
    Review letter sent 3/15
    WMR updated 4/29
    DDD 5/3

Transcript info:
    Cycle date 20180905
    Received 4/15
    Remittance 4/23

3 months to get my refund…..

Stay hopeful!!

3. T'Layne

Utter confusion !!

F/A Jackson Hewitt 3/14
    Bars disappeared about 2 weeks later, info and amount on side stayed the same, Still processing, TT152

Transcript dated 3/26 says no record of return filed

4/9 rec’d CP74 stating I successfully recertified for the credits claimed for 2017

Transcript dated 4/16 has processing date of 4/23
    150 return filed 4/23
    Cycle Code 20181405
    806 w2 or 1099 4/15
    971 Notice (the one I received above) 4/9
    570 additional account action pending 4/23
    768 EIC 4/15

Insight anybody ??

4. marie

Same thing 60 days up 4/30 nothing I got a TA involved and should expect call tomorrow. Crossing fingers

5. 6 days away from 60 days

I got a paper late feb that they had up to 60 days. Which is 6 days from now.

Still nothing.

6. danielle

@Pissed off mad Black Woman: Also file 1/27 WMR cleared after Feb15. Got 4464c letter march 5 Was asked to wait 45-60 for further review and that is all she could say. Fax TA form 911 and Representative contacted me and asked how could she help and tell me same thing. I can confused. it is now April 11. My 60 days is over May 5

7. Pissed off mad Black Woman

I field 2/2 accepted same day. 1 week later bars disappeared!! Got the 4464c letter 2/19 dated for 2/12 stating. 60day review need to do nothing. As of today .wmr still says .still processing no bars. No other letters.

8. shannon989

@aiyana313: I too am waiting to hear back from TA about hild being released for sale reason. Could you comment with update when you know how long it will take yours to be released if possible.

9. Jewels of the Refund

Each 570 and 971 has a different definition based on the secondary code. Each taxpayer’s codes can mean different things based on the individual’s tax return. It is a science of research and comparisons to determine what each code means for each individual on a case by case basis.

10. Jewels of the Refund

TIGTA recommended IRS confirm income and withholdings through confirmed 3rd party resources other than the W-2 and/or 1099 the taxpayer attaches to their tax return. If it doesn’t match the refund will often be held. It is important to know employers often give employees a W-2, but do not submit them to the IRS due to the company’s own financial and/or tax issues. Since anyone can fill in the boxes on a W-2 form and print it out from irs.gov the W-2 the taxpayer attaches to the tax return has little value in confirming the income/withholdings are accurate.

11. Cinnamon
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit

@nicole: Yeah, the stress is getting to me. I have so much I need to get done with the money… :-(

12. Cilla777

@Kimikaze: I e-filed on January 18th. Accepted on the 19th.Did all the Path garbage. On January 27th went to being processed. Got transcripts on February 12th with a 971 code with date 2/26 and 570 code with date 3/5/2018. Got audit letter on the 26th. Had CPA send in anything and everything that could possibly be needed on March 4th. Does anyone know how long it should take to remedy this problem and get my money please?

13. nicole

@Cinnamon: I’m in the same boat as well with the same exact dates….I’m so lost with this bs

14. Auty

I filed 2/1 was accepted for the loan the same day downloaded the app it was on the first bar for the longest and then about a week and 1/2 ago the bars completely went away and it just says “your tax return is still being processed will provide a date when available ” I called the IRS today the man told me my refund was up for additional review and it should be done by April 26th!!! I’ve never had any problems filing I have no idea why I’m being held back no one will tell me I claim my kids every year and never had anything go wrong so I’m a bit nervous and that’s a long wait for me…😣 I have not received a letter at all I just called because I knew something was off I’ve never experienced any issues before I really need my money!

15. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

You can join others waiting with the 570 on the live discussion feed to get more immediate responses.
    You can view the discussion here: http://igotmyrefund.com/

16. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

@Sina: It’s hard to say for sure, but they correlate with an entire week’s cycle (which is why they are Monday dates) and they are usually listed next to the transaction codes for about 3 cycles out from when it was placed.

17. JustWaiting

@Cinnamon: this is my exact situation as well. I will update you if anuthing changes on my end!
    I also called last week, and I spoke with a rep that said no issues and no actions required. He told me I would see a change during the last days of Feb. and the first days of March. Still waiting. :)

18. Tired

Its is so frustrating because last year no problem… I claimed the same this year and at first I was just getting the run around when calling. Call TA and she told me I was on 570 hold for wage verification but yet I have been with the same job for over 15 years and other people from my job have got theirs and then I called IRS and I got a different story because I wanted to know what they meant by wage verification and she told me she didnt know what i was talking about. She told me she didnt see anything wrong with my return and that it was sitting on someone desk just waiting to processed but she also gave the spill that I was on 45 day wait reveiw.

19. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

@Cinnamon: You are in good company. There so many people in the same boat right now. More than we have seen in previous years.

20. Cinnamon

I filed on 1/26, and was accepted 1/29, I had one bar on wmr then on 2/15 it updated to “being processed” with no TT. And that is where it has been ever since. My transcripts have the 570 code with the date 3/5/18. Also, on the line that says Tax Return Filed my cycle code ends in 04, and has the date 3/5/18 as well. I’m so beyond frustrated.

21. aiyana313

Filed 1/23 accepted 1/24 lost bars week of 2/15 and 2/16 transcripts updated with 570. Got a TA involved, claimed it was over a $253 difference in wages. She submitted a request to have the hold released. Now im just waiting….

22. Anotheryear

I was accepted 2/4/18, 570 Code, 05 at the end of my cycle code which indicates I’m a Thursday update.

We need to contact our State Reps and Senator’s offices locally and in D.C. I could guarantee you they’re pay haven’t been affected. In fact, our taxes we have paid, they’re showboating by traveling at these lavish places at our expense claiming they’re doing business for us. This is what we pay them to do, work for us, let’s get them working on our taxes…

IRS’s manpower was cut and there are more tax filers this year, than any other years. This is history…..

23. shawninohio
      Ohio
      Capital One
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, W2
    • Tax Topic 152

Ive had the 570 and the 1541 message since 2/6.
    2/12 received 4464c.
    No 971 on my Transcripts, 570 code dated 2-26-2018 still on my Transcripts.
    No updates no reasoning at ALL!
    I need my money and this is BS.
    Last year i had my money by 2/23 this is BS to the MAX!

No point in me calling them, would do no good. TA’s are about as useless.
    Did that one in 2016. Better to just wait it out.