TAX OFFSET/DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

Home Forums General Discussion 2017 Tax Season TAX OFFSET/DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

• This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by Jacqui.
  • Topic Starter
    Jacqui

Sorry in advance for this long story……

So this year I filed taxes. i was expecting about $2200. I was under the impression that my student loans had been paid off (I had given my ex a money order to mail in which i found out after the fact that he returned it and took the cash. On top of the fact that they were no longer on my credit report). So completely unbenouced to me I find out that my student loans are in default, and that no payment had been made.

Department of Education certified my taxes for offset. Literally the day before my taxes were approved I had to file bankruptcy due to an old lawsuit (again curtosey of my ex lol) trying to levy my bank account for $30,000. As of 1/30 when i filed bankruptcy an autmatic stay was activated. Luckily filing bankruptcy literally two days before my taxes were offset protected them. Unfortunatly it wasn’t quick enough to stop the offset prior to it happening.

The Department of Education (DOE)

• The forum ‘2017 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.