SBTPG shady scam

Home Forums General Discussion 2018 Tax Season SBTPG shady scam

• This topic has 34 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by RayC.
  • Topic Starter
    Aron

It does say they’re open, but it also says they don’t process returns/deposits on weekend or holidays. Apparently SBTPG is super shady, I will probably never use TT again because of their lies, and bullcrap. They don’t explicitly tell you it will actually take longer for deposit or anything when you deduct fees, they make it seem like you’d get it the same time either way.
      https://www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/santa_barbara_bank.html

Viewing 33 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        RayC
          @rayman70

Netspend with the fees paid up front for me next tax season,period. No more third party crap.

kev

@Declan – how does being self employed affect your filing fees? I’ve never been self employed so I didn’t know it changed filing costs.

Declan

I am self employed so there was no free file option for me. I had to upgrade to use there filing software! Paying fees = quicker return + no SBTPG transfer fee

kev

For those who used TurboTax, you do know that filing is free with them now? Both fed and state. If you don’t need to itemize, you probably don’t need to buy their premium services which do cost money. And from what I’ve read, these premium services aren’t a guarantee of more money or a “audit proof return”. In fact I wouldn’t pay for their premium services on an itemized return.

Scott

Well Republic Bank is not any better.

(IMO)

I think that when we the people start to realize that we would get our refunds 2-3 days early if we paid the fees upfront. Republic bank is going to lose millions of dollars because we the people are paying them $35 to transfer our money after they take the filing fees out and we are expecting that money 2-3 days early as advertised!
                  If they want us to use them next year by having our fees deducted from our refunds then they need to get our money to us 2-3 days early!
                  It is pointless and a waste of money to have are fees deducted from our refunds. If we pay the fees up front then the IRS WOULD SEND OUR MONEY DIRECTLY TO OUR ACCOUNT, have our money 2-3 days early and save $35 by not needing Republic banks services.

Mclady

From their site:

Have used them for years and never have any issues.

How does the Refund Transfer work?

Usually 1 to 2 days before a refund is scheduled to arrive, the IRS sends a pre-notification of the refund amount to TPG. The IRS does not deposit the money at this time, but it is only a notification that the refund is on its way. We set up the disbursement upon receiving that pre-notification so that the money reaches the taxpayer on the same day it would have if the money was deposited directly from the the IRS into the taxpayer’s bank account.

Hey There

@anne

“I was not aware that it went to a 3rd party (although that makes sense that the irs would not send just a small part to someone else).

I think it’s obvious that if you get fees taken out that means you are adding an extra “step” to the process. However, in my experience, it never really made a difference.

I say that because it is possible to have part of the refund send to one account and the rest to another one. It’s just normal. It does not slow it down unless you got an advance and have to have the funds go through them. Why? because you added another step in the process. Plain and simple.

anne

not sure on the scam part or not but I will say this has me a bit concerned. I was not aware that it went to a 3rd party (although that makes sense that the irs would not send just a small part to someone else). I am relieved at the comments by those who say they still got it the same day the irs told them BUT my ex and I filed the exact same day. we both have the same ddd. we also both use the same bank. he had no fees and can see the deposit pending. we did have fees this year (was not aware more than 1 w-2 forces them to charge you but it is what it is) and do not see a deposit pending :(

Drew

You should learn the meaning of scam. You clearly don’t know how to use that word properly.

Alx D

In my experience SBTPG is not a scam. My wife has used them along with some advance products offered by our tax preparer to handle deposits and never had any issues. Never late, no delays, etc.

Just my 2 cents from my own experience.

The deposit will be there. I don’t remember how early we got the funds before if at all but I know for sure we have gotten it early but never late always on time even on weekends.

Also, I never knew TT uses SBTPG. I file separately every year using TT and I get the deposit with them the day off or early am next day. Never early. No SBTPG.

It’s just the 17. No reason to be desperate or paranoid. You still have 5 days to him most cards claim the earliest is 2 days before.

negasonic teenage warhead

I totally suggest paying fees upfront.

Hbomb
                                @hbomb

I have used TT many times opting to have my fees taken out with ACH transactation and my refund had always reached my bank 1 -2 days prior to the DDD . It is because of the holiday weekend that you are not seeing your refunds today.

GaPeach65

This is the last year I can claim the EIC I think. My son graduated from college at the end of December. Next year it will just be a simple return for me so I probably won’t use Turbo Tax anymore.

Please excuse the typos using voice to text

Star

Alot of people I kno went thru Jackson Hewitt and early as well. They already have their money on their serve cards. Still have mine from a few years ago but don’t use it very much. Have few uses for it if it’s not tax time. But I will be using them again next year for sure. I don’t really mind paying the fees because when I did use them I got my refund in 10 days flat

Also if it was not for the past act we would not have any earned income credit. The path Act was signed they say to protect us from fraud however it was really to protect us from them taking earned income credit away in general.

I think you guys are confusing the word shady and scam with inconvenient. if they clearly stayed on the website that you won’t get the money until the day that IRS says then that’s not a scam it’s clear it’s on the website. I’m in the same boat you guys are in with Republic Bank because I stupidly went with someone other than TurboTax to get the refund anticipation loan which I ended up not qualifying for but paying $550 in fees. These tax agencies that are charging you hundreds and hundreds of dollars to do your taxes those are the people that scamming. Like the owner of Instant Tax Service he was scamming people by stealing their social security numbers making fake W-2 and laundering money that’s a scam. We all want our money now we all wanted to be before the direct deposit date but in some cases it is what it is.

RayC
                                            @rayman70

peach 65…believe one thing..our money is sitting there as we speak in the sbtpg account. They are earning compound interest on our money each day that passes. Its a racket. They do it because they can and they can “legally” do it with no fear. The path act was yet another way to make millions under the guise of ‘security ” …its a total hoax. Now we wait til Tuesday or weds.

RayC
                                              @rayman70

netspend or the serve card with the fees paid up front will be the way to go next year.

lance

I personally wouldnt expect it until the 22nd.
                                                sbtpg does it on purpose, even on their website it says your refund will be processed according to your original instructions, original instructions meaning the ddd the irs gave.. so they will hold it as long as they can

GaPeach65

Ive used Turbo Tax for the last 6 years, always with SBTPG. Refund has always been in my bank on the the IRS date. Never had to verify anything. It does look odd that all of these other 2/22 people are getting their money via other methods and SBTPG is showing nothing.

Aron

@Lance So we should expect ours on the 22nd and no earlier I suppose.

lance

I agree they are shady.. I made the mistake of using them again this year

WildaBeast

Yes they are shady. I made the mistake of using them again this year.. Never again

Aron

It was more about holding your refund with just saying there was a security issue, and not explaining any more than that. While they have no problem paying TT with your money while you have to wait, and send in your I.D or whatever else they make you do. Hence the reason, I linked the reviews. But, yea I suppose I’M in the wrong for thinking that way. Lesson learned haha

RayC
                                                            @rayman70

Wick3d..I would be leary of HRB. But as long as you use netspend you should be good. Sick of these banks abusing their power while the masses sit and spin. Santa barb, bank is misleading.

RayC
                                                              @rayman70

Lesson learned. No more Santa Barbara Bank for me next year. I’m going to pay the fees up front if I can and use net spend..AND MAYBE that dumb hoax of a law we call PATH will be no more. Its a scam and a way for banks to sit on your money and make tons of interest.

Wick3d

Well aback to hr block for me next year

You must read everything. As a tax payer i suggest eberyone read the terms. They cant hide them they can only hope people dont read them. Lance i didnt hear about that i never got a call about that last year or this year. Also tt doesn’t have anything to do with sbgt disbursements. Lets not become paranoid.

lance

I agree they are shady.. I made the mistake of using them again this year. Also for turbotax they purposely hide the fact in their terms of service so you wont see it until its too late. Last year tons of people got their money held even longer by sbtpg for ”suspicious activity” and needing to upload their id’s lol. The irs already cleared it no need for a bank to verify also.. it’s just an excuse to hold your money

Kamue51kcmo

He is going to want to speak to your manager

I understand you are upset however as a tt employee i have to let you know they make that clear if you read the terms and conditions.

• #4222740
                                                                        Sara

ACH transactions are not processed over the weekend or on bank holidays regardless of who it is. It has never delayed my deposit. I still always get it on the date I’m supposed to.

• #4222737
                                                                          lance

I agree they are shady.. i made the mistake of using them again this year

Viewing 33 reply threads
                                                                        • The forum ‘2018 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.