Received CP75 Letter

Home Forums General Discussion 2018 Tax Season Received CP75 Letter

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Frank.
  • Topic Starter
    Emily
      @emiyvonne

Yesterday my husband received the dreaded CP75 letter that I have read so much about. Neither he nor I have ever been audited. We got married in Oct 2017. He filed as HOH with my three children and listed them as his step-kids, which they are. We filed separately because we had only been married a couple months out of the year, even though we lived together the entire year, and because I have offsets. I filed as Single with no dependents. In hind site maybe it would have been best to file injured spouse. Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone can shed some light on what to expect. I have read this can add an add’l 6-8 weeks for processing your return, and others say it can take months. Also, the letter states they are withholding the EITC part of the refund, so does this mean they will release the non EITC part as normal? They sent forms to prove relationship and HOH status. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Author
      Replies
        Frank

Well you needed to file married filling sepratly. They ask you you got married in 2017. So that needs to be changed. So filling single and claiming your children is what threw the red flag. He can’t claim them unless he states that he’s married to you or that he adopted them. You need to show proof of all the kids identies and your marrige. If he did claim them previous years. They are gonna make you pay them back. If not, once they get the info. They will send the refund. It will probably take a couple of months honestly. Good luck and I’m sorry. I hope I answered your questions.

@Emily – has he legally adopted your children? Perhaps that is what sent the red flag. If you had/have been claiming them all and then their SSN show up on someone else’s return…that would be my guess.

I do not believe that any part of your refund (even non EIC) will be released, unfortunately. I’m sorry this happened to you! Keep us posted on how it all shakes out!

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • The forum ‘2018 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.