People with an Offset (Topic 203)

Home Forums General Discussion 2018 Tax Season People with an Offset (Topic 203)

• This topic has 49 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Xxtina.
  • Topic Starter
    Jerrica

Anyone with an offset/showing Topic 203 on WMR. Do you have an actual amount showing that they are taking your refund/message with remaining balance will be sent to your bank, or are you showing the generic message that they may take all or part of your refund?

Viewing 48 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Xxtina

Yes gina, I had this happen to me few years back.

Gina

I got my offset and it says my original refund amount and then adjusted return amount which was 0.00 so my question is do this means I’m getting nothing back, they took my whole tax check?

Danielle Cox

Why does it say my refund has been sent to my bank but I have a topic 203? I have student loans. So will they take it or not? It’s the not knowing! Last year my wmr said 0.00 and told me it was applied towards past obligations. I didn’t even make it to the 2nd bar and this year I have all 3 bars so it’s like there dangling the green in front of my nose then there gonna Yank it away!!!!

Marci

On its wmr site it says it was sent yesterday and still has full amount of refund even though I got 203 message. Since it has full amount to be refunded am I getting it? Or will they take offset after tpg receives it?

mainemom

Had a tax offset 203 code. I called TOP a few weeks ago and they said I had one debt. It was from the SSA for disability payments that were overpayed when I was married. I was the payee, but let my ex do the income reporting. He never did it. Called again once WMR updated and they said no debts owed. No mention of an offset. No letter from the SSA. They took a little less than $8,000. (I was expecting it) Glad because the debt was from when I was married. Wish they would tell more information on the TOP number though. I got $337 dollars though. lol

CanCan

I received my refund last night around 10pm. Its a Lil over half my original refund amount. I called the offset line about a week ago and they only offset was information for last years for my student loan (and it does state the amount). After the system update on the 17th, i called again and it says there are no debts owed. So i figured they didn’t bother to take out this year. I logged onto my online account for my student loans and they haven’t received any payments from the IRS, not since last year. The amount missing from my refund is way over what I owe anyway. So where is my money!!?? Who took it?

Mommahoot

Just wanted to say we had the 203 tax code, called the hotline and said we had one debt to Virginia taxation. Called them they were like nope nothing. Transcripts never changed from code 862 (refund issued). Our entire refubd was just deposited. No offsets no changes, so it could be a blanket message or it could be they need to uodate it. Who knows? Just wanted to update and say have a great year everyone!

Alex

I had the 203 offset message called the 800 number they said i had one claim then i called yesterday and it said there was no claim my DD is 2/22 called my bank and they said i do have a IRS dep processing for relase tonight but they wont tell me the amount im so nervous i just wana know if they took it all or part of it or non of it

Kirkobanz89

Umm I just made a post about this this morning but I also had topic 203 and had called the BFS hotline and of course no offset I then called the IRS and she stated she didn’t see no offset either it wasn’t until my account got sent to TGP that they collected the offset amount so if it goes through TGP the ppl that collect fees more then likely they will take the balance owed and or credit you the remaining balance of your refund

Katisha

I also show the tax topic code 203. I called the 800 number and no offset debt owed. I called IRS and they told me it doesn’t show I owe anything and I have a DD if 2/22, but she did explain that most likely is Turbo Tax charging the fee for my taxes. I was relieved and hope this answered anyone’s concerns.

2013taxpayer
                              @2013taxpayer

Just an update:

Soooo I had an offset for student loans and last Friday when I called the offset hotline…it disappeared. It stated that there’s no debt for my social. However, I have the 203 on my WMR and still no 898 code for the offset on my transcript. I’m waiting for either a) my transcript to update or b) receive my refund….to see if I had an offset.

I just checked my student loan on the website and it states as of 2/21/2018 my balance is $xxxx.00. Sooooo I still owe. I believe that means they didn’t even touch my refund.

But then maybe it’s too early because maybe it won’t show as paid until the day of my DDD of 2/22. I don’t know.

JLB1270
                                @brayb

@2013taxpayer: It says that I have 1 offset and it gives me the number to the Dept of Education. It does not say the amount. It will never tell you the amount on the hotline or wmr. You have to contact the department who is actually doing the offset and that number will be given when you call. I will say that the offset number has been really messed up this year. I called several times earlier this month and it did not recognize my information. I had hope at that point but I think it is fixed now, so if you call and says offset, you will know who it is with and get a number to contact. But, again, unless you are being evicted or are disabled, the taxpayer advocates can’t help.

2013taxpayer
                                  @2013taxpayer

@BRAYB: What did it say on the offset hotline for you?

JLB1270
                                    @brayb

I hope this post will help. Last year, without notice, my entire refund was held for a Dept of Education offset. I currently owe $25,000 and failed to put my loan into forebearance, so it defaulted. They took my entire $588 refund. I filed hardship because they then started garnishing 15% of my checks. I won the hardship and that stopped, so I assumed they would not be able to take my refund. I was wrong. This year I got the 203 again and my entire refund will be taken. It still shows the refund amount $566 and the direct deposit date of 2/22/18, as well as approved and two bars. However, the entire amount is still being taken. So, regardless of it showing 2 bars, approved, full amount and ddd..if you owe more than the refund, it WILL be taken. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news..I am in the same boat. On a side note, I called a tax advocate. Here is what I was told. The ONLY way to stop an offset is if you are going to be evicted..you need proof of that or you are disabled..also need proof. That is it. I also called TOPS..same response. If your offset is due to Dept of Education..you need to rehabilitate your loan and make 9 monthly payments, at which time..the offset and any garnishment stops and you are able to go into forebearance again. Sorry so long, but I just wanted to let people know that if you have that tax topic, 203, regardless of what is showing on WMR,,if you owe more than the refund, it will all be taken.

Syraz
                                      @syraz

So my transcript came in mail today…has nothing about this topic on it….

Mommahoot

Hubby and I got the 203 code and when I called the TOP number my social was clean but my husbands had am offset and to call the Virgibia department of taxation. Mind you we haven’t lived in Virginia in almost 11 years so we were confused. Called the number the TOP hotline gave us and the nice lady at the Virginia department of taxation said there isn’t anything owed by my husband on their end. I have checked our transcripts today and there is no offset listed. On WMR it still says we are getting our full refund. I will update on Thursday when we are wcheduled to receive our deposit but I wanted to tell y’all it might be nothing. We will see.

Gpz

So I have a 203 was really worried. I just got off the phone with the IRS the person I talked to took a decent amount of time researching my account. When she came back from the longest hold time ever she said she was not sure why I was getting a 203. My refund is still scheduled to be delivered in full and no offsets are showing on my account. She did, however, say she sees there is a federal debt on my account but with no amount owed which might be why the system automatically put a 203 on my account. Told me not to worry about it on her end my DDD of 2/22 should be in the full amount of my expected refund.

Hopefully, this is correct and accurate information. Good luck to everyone.

Tay

I have offsets topic 203 called the TOP HOTLINE it states no offset on record nor any offset transcripts but WMR STILL STATES AN OFFSET WHAT GOING ON I DONT OWE DOE

Justin

I wish we could get some clarification on why debts that were once listed on the TOP hotline are now gone. I know for sure I still owe the state $126 I wasn’t able to pay prior to filing. If it was paid shouldn’t it state that the amount has been offset to pay them? I can’t remember what it said in the past when I’ve had a offset.

Brooklyn
                                                Brooklyn

I was over paid 2015 and they deducted it from my tax return and sent a letter so I have the proof they were already paid 2900 never got any correspondence for 2017 I’m sure of it but I ended up getting a cpa to look over it and they’re going to try and get some if not all my refund back…I left out 1400 on a W2 I had never received from this company I worked for and they overpaid me

Everything else has been straight forward one job one W2 lol

Tracy

How did y’all find out that they took all of your refund for a offset, or how much they took?? I had a offset on the offset line but it says no offsets found now. My refund status says:

Your refund is Schedule to be sent to your bank by February 22nd ,And it shows tax topic 203 . Your refund May be reduced to past tax obligations

Syraz
                                                      @syraz

WMR says it “may” be offset but still shows my whole refund.
                                                      Hotline says the either it may or they are taking it,, it keeps changing.
                                                      Calling department of education, they are saying a letter was mailed last year to me, which i never got, so it might be taken, though I am in rehabiliation program they said starting that prevented it and a payment from DoE also says if i dont make payments they will take the refund..

so I am just lost and confused

Jaime

How does everyone know the amount is being taken by calling the offset line. When i call all it says is one pending and could offset but no amount?

Shana
                                                          @whereismyrefund

My brother showed this same message on wmr…he just called the offset line and sure enough they are taking his whole refund.

Toria
                                                            @toria

Would a federal or state tax debt show on the offset line?

Lablueble

I didnt have any offsets.. I called when I was denied a refund loan. Still no offset called student loans they had defaulted.. Called dept of education said I was to be offset. Still was not on my ss just that I may” be as of yesterday said full amount with dd of 2/22 and then today wmr updated to 203 was 152 with path msg for a week.. Amount still listed no fees out for hr block whom I will have to pay if taken. Smh

Jaime

You will still need the whole refund amount off to the side. They will send u what is left if anything. Call the offset line 1 800 304 3107 see what it says for your information u enter

I am confused as start of tax season i called offset and it had my child support to be taken of course i knew that. And i got the path message and finally 2 17 updated to refund approved and cose 203 i called offset line child support infornation is gone but now a new information is on there. Dont get it and never got a letter from them. I will call on tuesday to make sure they dont tax my refund..

Toria
                                                                  @toria

I called the offset line but there is no offset. Hmmm….

Toria
                                                                    @toria

Refund approved with DD 2/22 refund amount isn’t reduced. Received generic 203 message. If anyone with the generic 203 message receives their full refund please post. Smh this is so 😢 frustrating.

I called the offset line but I got the message to call back later. What is the offset number just to be sure I’m calling the right number?

Jade

I am seeing the generic message but my refund amount is showing and hasn’t been reduced and approved for 2/22. Why is this happening!!

Renee

@Brooklyn
                                                                        IRS will offset for previous years. If you were overpaid in a previous year due to errors, amended taxes,etc. You will get an offset, but you would have received a letter by October 2017, if you owe.

• #4222503
                                                                        Brooklyn

I’m trying to figure out what would be an IRS offset? An example? Because they take taxes out my check every week faithfully smh

• #4222494
                                                                          Renee

I could be wrong but I believe the 201 code is for IRS offsets only.

• #4222492
                                                                            Jaime

I got code 203 and it was for child support which i knew of but i called offset line today and now the child support is off there and a new one is and i haven’t gpt no letters about them offsetting my refund or anything. I will be calling on Tuesday to make sure they dont

• #4222486
                                                                              Lablueble

I have a tax code 203. I always was $0 payments for my income vs dependants. But they are taking my whole income tax. Says on 1800 # $10,800 to be taken as of 2/22 dd for loans.. I read some people still got the refund in prior years for different offset reasons.. Some loans some child support not aure if thats the case this year. All of this happened over the summer. Debt was just added to ss# last week. Now this week says entire amount.. Guess thats it for me. I have last years I never filed. It would only be 2500$ but scared to file that now. I hope I still get it some how if anyone with 203 this year still got a refund say so… I can only wait dont mean it will be my case but hopes alive for my $10,800.. ( they want that as bad as I need it..)

• #4222440
                                                                                Brooklyn

I have topic 201 I wasn’t aware so I’m posted they took my whole refund over 5k so I’m bummed out can’t wait to call Tuesday no letters or anything

• #4222084
                                                                                  Jennifer D Cosby

I have same 203 topic called the number says no debts or offset I’m confused

• #4201609
                                                                                    Jerrica

@Bopo50 They took mine as well, just called.

• #4201586
                                                                                      bopo50

update: I called the offset line again today and they did take my refund. Still nothing showing on wmr or transcripts, but I wanted to let everyone know what happened since that’s what I keep looking for on here.

• #4201384
                                                                                        Jerrica

@Bopo50 I’m stressing as well even though it’s not showing on my transcript.
                                                                                          @Takedra
                                                                                          @Jibbbjawww78
                                                                                          Thank you all for replying!

• #4201257
                                                                                          Takedra
                                                                                            @abrown0817

I have an offset upon calling the number. I actually called because I checked my informed delivery for yesterday and it showed a letter from the irs (yes it spooked me, but it was not pertaining to the offset). So I called the offset number, and it showed I have one. My transcript, however, does not show anything regarding an offset.

• #4201220
                                                                                            Bopo50

I have the same issue. I have the 203 message, no amount listed in wmr or when I call the fws line, nothing on transcript, ddd of 1/31. I’m stressing, but fingers crossed! Loan consolidation is currently in process (coincidence, not because of offset).

• #4201116
                                                                                              Jibbbjawww78

I personally would not think so. I’m not an expert, nor do I want to get your hopes up. Best wishes!

• #4201059
                                                                                                Jerrica

@Jibbbjawww78 Do you think it’s possible for my transcript to change comes Wednesday when I’m suppose to get my DD?

• #4200989
                                                                                                  Jibbbjawww78

Yes my offset is showing on my transcripts. Mine says your refund HAS been reduced to satisfy a past tax obligation.

• #4200969
                                                                                                    Jerrica

Hoping others can reply about their offset. I just thought the place with my loan would know of an offset from what I’ve read. And I haven’t received any type of letter about an offset, I read on my States gov site that you will get a notice 60 Days in advance of an offset.

• #4200899
                                                                                                      Jerrica

@Jibbbjawww78 It’s confusing for me. I’m just showing the generic Topic 203, doesn’t give me an amount. TOP doesn’t give me an amount when I call, just told me to call the US Dept of Education. Called them and they said my loan was transferred to a collection agency. So I called the collection agency and they don’t have any information about an offset. So I’m guessing I’ll get my full refund, but not sure. My transcript is not showing the offset code. Is your transcript showing an offset code?

• #4200870
                                                                                                        Jibbbjawww78

I have an offset. Tax topic 201( from an amended return last year). It is showing my offset amount, not my original return amount. DDD 1/31

Viewing 48 reply threads
                                                                                                      • The forum ‘2018 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.