Letter from IRS about form 1095-a

• Creator
    Topic

msnicki
    Participant

My fiancee got a letter from the IRS yesterday saying that he did not include his 1095-a for the marketplace insurance. So we printed it out and faxed it to them this morning. The lady on the phone was not very helpful. She just kept referring us to the letter stating that it would take 6-8 weeks. I am sure it will not take that long being that it was not an amended return but yet a simple mistake. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and how long do you think it will take to get itself worked out?

Viewing 30 replies - 201 through 230 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    Replies

pugtor

Quick update. I’m still 3 days from the 21-day mark, but bars went away, no tax topic now either. Refund amount still shows.

brittnabby

My question is my husband and I separated and on the 1095 A we are listed together but both of us underestimated our annual salary and both lost jobs and was without work. I filed head of household and he did stated he did not make enough to file. We are separated and have been for over 6 months. Do you think we will owe or what? I am going to cancel my insurance it seems to be more of a hassle than it is work.

Amanda

@pugtor – yes, that’s what TT did as well. The forms weren’t really ready in the software and mine was sent partially complete. The first two columns were filled out. the rest was blank. Also, TT accidentally submitted my returns over and over again.

pugtor

My question is there’s no way everyone who filed a 8962 has to send that in (again) with their 1095-A. I’m wondering if all of the online software didn’t transmit them the first week or something. It’s in my JH packet that I downloaded so I don’t understand how the IRS says they didn’t get it. Even the 1095-A says on it that the Marketplace sends a copy to the IRS and just because there’s no way that everyone who has the ACA credit has to send that in I wonder what happened.

Amanda Maher

Exactly, they’re going to only adjust the credit or debit if you over or underestimated your income. In my case, I got really sick in October so I underestimated mine, and am due a credit. But the IRS wants so badly to believe I owe them.

pugtor

@Travanti: Nah, nothing at all. TBCH, I wouldn’t be surprised one bit, I know of some procedures/companies that do things once per week. I don’t personally think any of our faxes are like literally going to any specific person. It’s all electronic records anymore so I’m fairly certain it’s almost like a mailroom, people just man the fax machine and then scan all of the papers that come in. Then every so often the actual agent in charge of our return tries pulling up the returns.

While I don’t think waiting over 5 days before something is “done” about it is the right way to do things, at this point I truly feel we will be lucky if we see our refunds by mid-May. When the government has physical hands on things, prepare for it to take forever.

Travanti

@pugtor did they say how long it takes to leave the “errors” department or how it even takes for them to receive the fax. The lady I spoke with yesterday told me that the faxed papers wouldn’t even be put into the computer until at least next Friday which I think is crazy if it was received the same day

pugtor

@IRSWoes: From what I understand, you only owe money back if you didn’t give an accurate amount on your income when you signed up for the marketplace… at least that’s what I was hoping for. Otherwise, an epic amount of people are going to be extremely pissed off that their refund suddenly goes to $0 because they have to repay that “loan” every year…

AraneaStar

I had this form, and when I filed I was not told to send it in (that I remember). i filed on 1/20, would i have gotten a letter by now if they needed me to fax it?

Hanna

I also forgot to include my 1095 information on my return. I filed on 1/24 and my return is still processing as of today. I am waiting for the letter anxiously but I think tonight I am just going to fax it over to them to get ahead of the game. What exactly should I fax? just the 1095 and 8962? do they want a cover page?

IRSWoes
    Participant

I was able to speak to a tax advocate. This is really crazy — are you ready? She told me that it would be resolved by MAY because I owe $2k. Okay. They owe me $200 MORE because they requested the 1095-A and 8962. In other words, the crazy IRS believes that we have to repay the entire subsidy. It’s not a subsidy in their minds, but a loan.

After I explained twice, she seemed to be a lot nicer to me and said well maybe a month… but this is just — wow. I didn’t mean to submit the incomplete return either. TT sent it incomplete a couple of times before I sent the complete. SEVEN submissions in all.

IRSWoes
    Participant

Same thing here, you all. I received the letter Last Saturday 1/31 and replied the same day with the forms.

OKinVA
    Participant

I had the same thing happen to me and have been writing about my situation under the topic Letter 12c.

pugtor
    Participant

So, got some super cool guy, somewhat, but he said it was a 12C letter, 4 weeks processing time, supposedly(?) TAS won’t even be able to do anything in terms of hardship just because of it not being past the 4 week mark, etc… will think about dropping Obamacare and just paying OOP if this will happen every year.

Said the return “isn’t even in the system, it’s in an “Errors” department until they get the forms required sent back and then 4 weeks processing”.

pugtor
    Participant

So, I just faxed my 8960 and 1095-A, called the number mentioned and ext 568, the guy said he was in payments and he was transferring me to the right department, so don’t get to excited after you wait on hold for 30+ minutes and get someone if you did 568.

Travanti

@msnicki No problem glad I could help. I tried to call in today just to see if they had received my fax and the rep was no help at all. She wouldn’t even look to see if the fax was received and gave me the standard 6-8 week answer. I don’t think it should take that long seeing as how the return was only missing a simple form but the reps won’t be any help at all.

msnicki
    Participant

@Travanti i want to THANK YOU!! sooo much. Because without you we would have just sent in the 1095-a. We totally forgot about the other form. But thankfully we were able to resend everything again, with both forms today. So I am praying that it will all make it to his return.

Travanti

@pugtor I literally had to call about three times before I finally reached someone that gave me the info needed. She also told me to place your SSN and name on return on each form faxed in so they can put it with your return

pugtor
    Participant

Yea, JH definitely sent 8962 with my return. I guess I’ll call tommorow to verify and see if they need me to send 1095-A and/or another 8962. SOAB, I just need that money. :(

Travanti

@pugtor the number is 866-682-7451 ext 568. I received a letter yesterday finally from the IRS that gave me all of the info. The 1095A is sent to directly to the IRS but for some dumb reason they still want you to fill out form 8962 using the 1095A and then faxing both forms to 855-204-5020.

pugtor
    Participant

@Travanti: Mind telling me what # you called? What you pressed to get to someone who told you that you were missing 8962? When/How did you know you had to send 1095-A in, mine says they send it to the IRS? Hell, at that what fax # did you send it to and how did you address it so it gets put with your return?

Jees, the lady I spoke to this afternoon asked me all sorts of questions, so I know she looked up my return, said no letters were sent out and that it literally just hasn’t processed yet. :(

pugtor

@Travanti: Mind telling me what # you called? What you pressed to get to someone who told you that you were missing 8962? When/How did you know you had to send 1095-A in, mine says they send it to the IRS? Hell, at that what fax # did you send it to and how did you address it so it gets put with your return? :(

Travanti

@msnicki I had the same issue. Filed with TT on 1/7. Accepted 1/12 and have been patiently waiting. Called the IRS a few times with no answer and finally yesterday I was informed by the one worker that actually looked into my account that I was missing the form. Make sure you fax in Form 8962 filled out as well because if you just send the 1095A they still won’t process it. I was told that it has to be manually reviewed by a human and not the computer so it make take a week or two. I think the 6-8 week time was if you mailed it in. A special department is supposedly handling these cases. Had I known insurance would cause these many issues I may have just took the no insurance penalty smh.

msnicki
    Participant

@pugtor Yes I agree, TT dropped the ball. I am not even really upset about it anymore, because I used to always get my taxes done by HRB. Then they had the education credit delay, so I said I would use TT, and here we go TT dropped the ball this time. It just seems that no matter which company I use they seem to drop the ball some way shape or form when it comes to me. LOL. You have to laugh to keep from crying.

pugtor

@msnicki, I used JH and they asked for the actual information. In my case, I’m hoping that it’ll go through without the information. Oddly, you would think if you say “yes” to the TT question it would know enough to ask you for the inputs on the form… I’m surprised, I’ve ALWAYS used TT, this is the first year I used JH and will probably be the last but from what I’ve gathered TT dropped the ball pretty badly this year.

msnicki
    Participant

@pugtor I know that we used TT. And TT just asked us basic information about it, did not ask us to input any information at all. So I guess that is how we got screwed over. Which sucks major.

msnicki
    Participant

@deb75 I have heard that some people go through without the letter, and that some people don’t. If you know you forgot about it I would would fax it over just to be ahead of the game instead of waiting for a letter to arrive.

pugtor

I’m confused on the 1095-A, primarily because the lady I spoke to this morning (who was fiddling around, asking for SSN #s, filing type, refund amount) supposedly looked at my return and while didn’t shed any light she said “still processing, 21 days, but I don’t see any letters being sent out or anything”, but the reasoning I’m confused because I didn’t send my 1095-A in? Even the 1095-A doesn’t say to send it in, it says THEY send it to the IRS?

Deb75

I have not received a letter but I am waiting for it. I got in a hurry to file and forgot about it. My refund is stuck on processing I’ve had no updates or transcripts available.

Amy1031
    Participant

I got the same letter on 1/29. Faxed in my 1095-a and i’m still waiting for things to progress. I haven’t gotten an answer from anyone as to how long it will take but I was hoping it wouldn’t take weeks. Anyone else dealing with this?

Viewing 30 replies - 201 through 230 (of 230 total)

The forum ‘2015 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.