Just Talked To IRS (and according to them, most early filers..)

Home Forums General Discussion 2017 Tax Season Just Talked To IRS (and according to them, most early filers..)

• Topic Starter
    Jerry182

Only begin to process on Feb 15th with the eitc and actc. In other words our returns sat on their servers in some cases for 30+ days and NOTHING happened with them. Then when the WMR updated yesterday to the “we have received your tax return and are processing it” message that is basically day 1. IE: You may as well consider your acceptance day yesterday 02/15/17.

Also, there is no such thing as “daily” and “weekly” processing. Everyone is processed as quickly as possible.

She went on to note that a few refunds have already been released with the credits, and anyone who filed pre-15th should generally expect to receive their tax refund by 02/27/17 unless there is a problem with their return.

As for me. I was accepted on 01/17/17. Immediately afterwards updated on WMR to “we have received your tax return and are processing it, a refund date will be provided when available”. Then on 02/11/17 that switched to the “path act notice” on WMR with topic 152.

Then yesterday it switched to “we have received your tax return and are processing it”

IRS Rep looked into my account and said nothing was wrong, and nothing had been requested of me.

In Short: It is a waiting game.

Viewing 53 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Monique
          @mbrewer86

Some of you guys are receiving and relaying false information. The facts are that your refund was HELD due to claiming one or both the EITC or ACTC as required by the PATH Act. If you read up on the law, your tax return was processed as it normally should be but your REFUND was held until the 15th. Once the 15th came and went the IRS started informing some of the release. The question is whether or not they are doing that in order of receipt or just willy-nilly. However, the PATH Act NEVER affected whether or not your return was processed but WHEN you would receive your REFUND.

Fe

@Jerry182

The Federal Bank does make interest off of tax money. The Federal Bank makes loans to banks around the nation and add interest. Once that bank receives the money and is back to good standing, it returns the money loaned plus interest to the Federal Bank. Who do you think bell out banks? If you don’t believe me go on read a economics book. The money flows in the Federal Banking system that flows everyday nonstop.

T88

Jerry182** dumb spell check!

Kellyo

@Kat lmfao 😂

T88

@jeeey182***

T88

@jerry1971

I love how your “right” and nobody else can put in they’re thought without you needing to change your tampon.

Kat

So do you guys think the reps have like a little game piece spinnner that they spin and then tell us whatever bullshit it lands on?

Finalllyyyyyy

Filed 1/23
                        Accepted 1/23

Called today after seeing your return is being processed and was told that I have a DDD of 2/22. I’m seeing a lot of others getting the same date as well. The wait is almost over you guys!!!

Jerry182

And Dan (Mr. Know it all)….

When you go buy a savings bond from the treasury, guess who pays the interest? Answer THE TREASURY.

So the treasury is paying interest to itself holding onto refunds an extra day or two. Are you that uneducated son?

Maybe today I will pay myself some interest lol. Your retarded with your misinformation.

Jerry182

The IRS does not earn interest on our withheld taxes people. Give that argument a break already.

They don’t take our money and then loan it out to companies (or other branches of government) to earn interest. Anyone who claims they are earning interest by holding onto refunds needs to crawl out from under their rock and actually research the subject.

The Other Kat

@Dan

Yes, I know what the treasury is. I also know that money doesn’t just sit with someone’s name on. It moves.

Suellen

How do I talk to the IRS? I have some weird codes on my transcript but I can’t find the numbers

`Dan

@The Other Kat Um, do you know what the US Treasury IS? That’s EXACTLY how money works, actually. Every moment we’ve got money sitting in the treasury, they’re making money off if it:

Typically, most interest is taxed at the same federal tax rate as your earned income, including:
                                  Interest on deposit accounts, such as checking and savings accounts.
                                  Interest on the value of gifts given for opening an account.
                                  Distributions commonly known as “dividends” on deposit or share accounts in credit unions, cooperative banks, and other banking associations.
                                  Interest on loans you make to others.
                                  Interest on certificates of deposit (CDs).
                                  Interest on U.S. obligations (except municipal bonds; U.S. Treasury bonds are federally taxable but not at the state level).
                                  Interest on insurance dividends or increased value in prepaid insurance premiums you withdraw.
                                  Interest on an annuity contract.
                                  Original issue discount (OID) amounts on long-term debt instruments.
                                  Interest on income tax refunds.

Source – Fidelity

I don’t mind being wrong or corrected, just check your facts first. How embarrassing.

I learned this 15 years ago in high school.

Kourtnee

I called and spoke with a very nice lady today. She looked up my return and stated it is completed, and I am just waiting on my DDD. I asked her if there was something wrong with my return how would I know because WMR now says” We have received your return and it is being processed…”(I had the PATH message before). She stated that there was something wrong with my return , I would have gotten a letter already. I told her that I called one time before and the agent said they will not start processing the return until 2/15. She states that was NOT true, and refunds have being processed as usual.
                                    She said all will be issues by 2/27/17…….

My situation:
                                    Filed and accepted 1/23
                                    Able to order transcripts somewhere around the 30th
                                    PATH message a few days later until 2/15
                                    Cycle code 20170405
                                    Processed date 2/13/17
                                    2/16-“Your return is being processed”…….
                                    Locked out of my online account, and I requested a code last week. So as of right now I am unable to look at my Account Transcripts

Kathryn

Well first off as far as the dont file till the 15th thing Jerry is spewing EVERYTHING I read from the IRS to sites explaining the PATH act said file when you get your info as you normally would. Most even said filing earlier wouldn’t hurt you and the IRS just wouldn’t accept your return till after opening day. So not sure where that came from.
                                      As far as the 846 code never in all my time filing have I ever heard of them removing a code that means your refund has been paid out. Even in years past agents that know their job have said that’s what it means and we would see a DD soon. They don’t deposit funds then say just kidding.
                                      I swear this year they hired a bunch of script readers because they knew it would be chaotic.

The Other Kat

I think the interest thing is crap. No offense, previous poster, just my opinion. Money doesn’t work like that.

I think @Willbeas is exactly right. Why’s anyone received a letter if the IRS hasn’t touched our returns?

Kristy D Widener

I think the phone reps mean that “refunds” are just now being processed. Not that they haven’t processed our “tax return”.

We are processed in steps. Some of us will have less steps. Most make it through the processing with no red flags. Its a computer processing our returns. Some get flagged and an actual person examines/reviews your return. If they feel like something is up you get a letter. Many are approved and keep moving along.

When you make it through the computer processing you would be able to get your transcripts.

Processing your refund would be a separate procedure all together. They have to check for federal offsets and figure that out. Then they are sent to treasury where they check for offsets too and that might need to be processed.

This entire process is usually handled by computers and is pretty fast….if you have no red flags.

This is why the 846 code is popping up all throughout the day.

`Dan

@MrsStingel2016(15th) One word. Interest.

MrsStingel2016
                                              @amhisaw12

I would pose this question: what benefit would come from fhe IRS just sitting on our returns and not processing until now? The better benefit comes from them already being processed. This way if someone else files the same kid, it can automatically flag both returns rather than just rejecting the second and they have to file a paper return. The IRS can then review both and determine who gets the money rather than sending out money and having to get money back if it turns out that person shouldn’t have gotten the money. That’s what it’s all about anyway, the money. The IRS is looking for fraudsters who file for others and shouldn’t or who claim kids they’re not really taking care of. All of my information was updated and my transcript fully filled out. I honestly do not believe anyone who says that everyone’s returns haven’t been processed. Yes, it’s possible some have not been. There are millions of EIC and ACTC filers. They haven’t gotten to them all yet. And I follow what I know to be true, coming from years of experience and things happening the same way. If you move and your new address is in their system, unless you updated it with them, they’ve processed your return. That’s never changed since I started filing taxes. And transcripts can indicate whether your return is finished processing or not.

pookie1971

Code 846 – REFUND ISSUED and it’s popping up all over right now. Once the refund is issued, that’s it, that’s the end, kaput, your money is on the way.

No, this isn’t from this year because I’m not going through the trouble of downloading someone’s pic from Facebook and creating a photo hosting account just to share one but you get the idea.

http://test.refundtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/846.png

Marlene

waiting for further information

Marlene

I’ve been reading this conversation. I filed on Jan 23 and my acceptance didn’t show up till today. I haven’t called IRS, so I don’t have different information than that of which you all have relayed. I do, however, believe the IRS is quite capable of quickly shooing people off the phone. Answering questions any way they can to somehow make the caller happy and end the conversation. I feel we will all receive our returns quicker than we all think. The wheresmyrefund doesn’t know it’s right hand from it’s left. Two years ago, I got my taxes while the wheresmyrefund never showed any acceptance at all. Last year, I got my taxes before the notice was complete. It’s not accurate, even tho IRS wants us to think it is. Your account may see the money before that crazy wheresmyrefund is even updated to the proper notice.

sabrinaN

what number do I call to talk to a rep? My 21 days have already passed.

NeedInfo

@Jearlybirdfiler I agree lol but typing isnt hard is it?

That said something i dont agree with is this whole test batch thing lol its joke were does the irs say that?

Jerry ive had an IRS rep say last year to me when i faxed something in twice i screwed it up and delayed my correction even more and did more harm and would have been better if i didn’t fax something twice….she was wrong just trying to spew hate and anger and put fear into me, sad thing is i could tell and i knew what was up and she was 100% wrong.

Keesy76

There’s no way they just sat there since the beginning and and people could actually order transcripts and received verification letters. I think many of the employees at the irs and other places are so lazy they don’t look into people’s information so they just say anything to get you off the phone. Which us crazy people saying ” don’t call that’s not their job?” Well if you didn’t call then they wouldn’t have jobs !

Jearlybirdfiler

It’s funny how people write paragraphs haha but then after taxes come you won’t be on this site till next year 😂

Sarah

This is VERY FALSE INFORMATION. My return is finished just waiting on refund. If my return wasn’t processed my transcript would be blank. It wasn’t it showed my return.

`Dan

@Jerry Seriously, what the hell does it matter? Worry about your taxes. 2/22 seems to be a popular date for DDD’s at this point.

NeedInfo

I think this is a moot issue, Jerry you are right it could be what you were told but i doubt you called again to see if you will actually get a second answer and i think allot of that 846 stuff is crap. Transcripts in general in my opinion is a joke and the irs news says this much as well.

I dont like when people use operation words like I think, I guess, Hoping, assume..etc. This tells me the person doesn’t know at all.

Filing early though is encouraged by the IRS to combat fraud so regardless of news or tax prepares or the like.

Brandi
                                                                    @beddy77

It’s bull crap they said to check site for your “personalized refund status” after Feb. 15th and all it says now is “being processed”. WOW SOOOOOOOOO PERSONALIZED YOU STUPID LIARS

Jerry182

I’m not pretending to be right.

I simply relayed what I was told.

None of you can claim to be right, because nobody knows with any certainty how things are progressing.

Unless someone here did the computer code for the IRS or has a secret window into their database you are all going by what you have read/been told elsewhere.

Jerry182

Another thing which MsStingel reminded me of.

My address changed.

When I called in I gave them my new address that is on this years return. She asked me what address they had on file, and had to give them my old one. So if we are going by that logic, they certainly haven’t processed mine and I was accepted on 01/17 in the test batch.

• #4173229
                                                                        NeedInfo

Jerry is one of thous guys who has to be right all the time lol

• #4173225
                                                                          Jerry182

That is certainly true. By the same token the IRS didn’t legally have to start processing such returns before the 15th either. They could have decided it was simpler/better just to wait and begin the whole thing on the 15th or shortly thereafter. The IRS can wait as long as the want (within reason) to start processing returns, and nobody in government will go after them for waiting three weeks to start processing the return for those with credits if the IRS says “well it was easier just to wait, and gave us a better chance at detecting fraud”.

Status messages overnight didn’t update to “we are processing your refund” they updated to “we are processing your TAX RETURN”

It’s amazing to me that nobody seems to realize an 846 doesn’t mean a refund is 100% on the way. That code CAN show up on a transcript and then DISAPPEAR if it is later flagged. That is an absolute FACT.

• #4173224
                                                                            MrsStingel2016
                                                                              @amhisaw12

They just fed you complete bs…they processed them otherwise addresses and personal info wouldn’t be updated…transcripts wouldn’t be available at all…I don’t believe anything the IRS says now until I have my money

• #4173218
                                                                              Jakeinga

Seems to me that there is no small amount of confusion about processing. There are two periods of processing, the period where the return is processed and the period where a refund is processed, they are not one and the same.

There was no legal reason to not process returns, legally it was the refunds that couldn’t be processed.

• #4173194
                                                                                Lauren

Well they said not to file before the 26th. Not sure why but I was not told to wait until the 15th of feb.
                                                                                  I was just saying that I wasn’t never told in any sort of way to not file before the 15th of feb via media, tax professionals or IRS.

• #4173190
                                                                                  Jerry182

Could I have been lied to, certainly!

Could anyone else have been that is now claiming their information as fact, certainly as well!

As for H & R Block and Turbo Tax not saying to wait until the 15th, that’s a moot point. They have an incentive to have you file with them while you are at their site. They don’t want you waiting until the 15th so you maybe decide to file through another provider.

• #4173172
                                                                                    Lauren

Also Jerry I was not told to not file until the 15th…. never…not even by turbo or H & R. That seems pretty weird!

• #4173167
                                                                                      Lauren

I agree it wouldn’t make sense that people were receiving letters if no one was touching the returns yet.
                                                                                        I have heard everything under the sun from this and that with different peoples experiences with the IRS and they have been given a script to get you off the phone basically.

• #4173119
                                                                                        pookie1971

Jerry, I’m sorry you received bad information but if you’re a member of Facebook, there are a ton of Tax support groups you can join and people are pulling transcripts right and left (yes, with screenshots and proof) that have updated to an 846 release code within the last few hours, some within the last hour.

There are also many filers who were receiving review and ID Verification letters shortly after they filed, that updated to the PATH message. I suppose the IRS didn’t process any of their returns and just sent out those letters at random?

No one was trying to shoot the messenger, just to educate him. Unfortunately, the messenger seems to be a little on the touchy side. Hope you update soon.

• #4173116
                                                                                          AngelK

Hey! That just helped out a lot. Thank you

• #4173113
                                                                                            AM88

Ya, definitely lied to you.. You didn’t talk to an IRS rep that has been there for 5+ years, that won the Attendance Award 2 years in a row…

No, the person you talked to is some person that has been working there for about 40 days and once tax season is over, wont work there anymore. A person that has no idea how to actually dig in the system and figure stuff out, who probably has limited access to information that is only a little bit more detailed then what we see. Lastly, you talked to a person who was given explicit instruction to get through phone calls as quickly as possible and try to make sure you are satisfied and don’t call back.

People all over are being 846’d. I mean ALL OVER. Tons of people have viewed their transcripts, after they got updated to the “processing” message on WMR, and they have the 846 refund code. So, there is absolutely no way that our returns were just sitting there until yesterday. They have been processing, which is why people with PATH have got ID Verify, Audited, etc. while our returns were supposedly just sitting there.

They will tell you whatever you want to hear. Honestly. Now, the lady I talked to at the end of last week was pretty good and pretty straight forward. She told me that they were processing them, that if anything was wrong then I would know before the 15th, and that we will be approved for refunds shortly after the 15th. She told me that basically once a PATH Act return is filed it is then set to be processed, it is then processed as it would have been NORMALLY before the PATH Act. So they go through and process it just like they would have in previous years. After they process it, it goes into a holding pattern, it stays in that 1st holding pattern until after Jan 31st (the date employers are required to electronically submit W-2’s by this year), once your employer submits their W-2’s it is then cross referenced with the matching Return. After they cross reference your W-2’s, if everything matches up it goes into a 2nd holding pattern, if the numbers don’t match or something was wrong originally with your return, then your bars on WMR disappear and you are pulled for review. It then sits in that 2nd holding pattern until the 15th, once the 15th hits they are systematically filtered out of holding and SSN numbers are cross referenced with other returns (which takes minutes), if everything comes back OK then they are given an 846 and submitted for DD.

• #4173111
                                                                                              Tyler

Jerry got played

• #4173108
                                                                                                Dina

Come on you guys, don’t shoot the messenger. He is just relaying what he was told. Granted the reps all have conflicting information, but that isn’t his fault. He is only relaying the message

• #4173101
                                                                                                  Jerry182

Also according to the lady, she claims that when people were calling in that reps were not even recommending people with these credits to file until 02/15/17. Did anybody who actually called in get told that?

• #4173098
                                                                                                    Jerry182

If you guys are such geniuses why don’t you call in and get some better information? Let’s see how you make out.

• #4173097
                                                                                                      NeedInfo

@Jerry182 Call them back see if you get another answer and you will see what i mean.

• #4173095
                                                                                                        Jerry182

I may have misspoke a little.

Basically she said that nothing could finish processing until the 15th and that everyone who has the “we received your tax return and are processing it” today didn’t even begin processing until the 15th.

• #4173093
                                                                                                          NeedInfo

@Jerry182 Do you buy every lie? It’s as if you trust a phone rep lol, by the press release the the wording of the law i doubt highly that the return was sitting there and that what really happened was you got sold a bill of goods in terms of information.

• #4173089
                                                                                                            Jerry182

Show me one of these “transcripts” with the 846. They may be the exception rather than the rule as I was told on the phone.

Just because a few may exist doesn’t mean that for 99% of us our returns sat idle until the 15th.

Don’t claim I was lied to when you can’t prove that,

• #4173084
                                                                                                              WillBeas
                                                                                                                @willbeas

Fed*

• #4173082
                                                                                                                WillBeas
                                                                                                                  @willbeas

Or peolple wouldnt be receiving letters to verify, etc….she feed you real good!!

• #4173074
                                                                                                                  pookie1971

@Jerry182, you just got lied to. We’re seeing actual transcripts with DDD and the release codes so that right there tells you they haven’t been just sitting. They were being processed and then put on hold. Now the refunds are being released.

I wouldn’t even respond to this normally because most people should know by now that the reps that answer the phone will tell you anything to get you off of the phone or to keep you from asking more questions. However, I’ve been accepted since 1/13 so I know how you fee.

Just find comfort in the fact that she lied because if that were true, we wouldn’t be seeing 846 on transcripts that have updated today. All of those people were sitting on PATH and have reverted back to the “being processed” message.

Viewing 53 reply threads
                                                                                                                • The forum ‘2017 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.