California State Tax Return

Home Forums General Discussion 2017 Tax Season California State Tax Return

• This topic has 26 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Brian.
  • Topic Starter
    StillFlippinBroke
      @wait4ever

Looks like I may be having issues with California and their state return. I enter my info and get this
      We received your 2016 California Income Tax return on: Saturday, January 21, 2017.

Your tax return requires additional processing time.

Please allow 3 months from the date you filed your return to complete processing. If you received a notice from us requesting additional information, please respond to continue the processing of your return. Allow 2 months from the date you mailed your response for a determination to be made.

We appreciate your patience.

Is anyone else seeing this message with california

Viewing 25 reply threads
    • Author
      Replies
        Brian

We had a lot of deductions, out of pocket medical, mortgage as well as some home office deductions, but the thing is it went through federal no problem, I don’ see why state would need so much more time. 3 months? Today I changed all my withholding so we will either owe or get a much smaller return next year. I’m not waiting 3 months again.

Brian

I had the same message, need more time allow 3 months. Federal went through in less than 10 days. What gives? Its been 2 weeks.

Sabrina

Not every one. I have yet to receive my state. I received my federal but no state. Not sure what is the problem. But its frustrating.

Jordan From Cali

I guess everyone in CA received their State Tax Return except me as nobody is commenting from this state on this site anymore

Jordan From Cali

Has anyone received a letter from California State to sign to clarify you did file a 2016 State Tax Return? A letter came this past Saturday and I sign and fax it over to the number it indicated but still no change on Site. I may just have to create an account to keep tabs on what is going on with my State Refund, been waiting since 1/24

Aimee

As of 3/8 still showing the same message. Filed 2/4 and nothing yet. Hoping to get it soon.

Jordan From Cali

Im still getting that 3 month hold, was accepted 1/24,one month has already passed without a update. I received Federal 1/30

Stevi

I got my federal. But not my state . It was accepted on Feb 1st and it still has that message and I still haven’t got it. Has anyone got it yet that had that message?

Sittingandwaiting

From what I understand that anybody who has kids claiming earned imcome tax credit or additional child tax credit are all on hold at least till February 15th due to the Path act. After Feb 15th they will begin to process returns for those who processed them prior to Feb 15th.

The PATH Act mandates that the IRS not issue a refund on tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit until Feb. 15. The additional time helps the IRS stop fraudulent refunds from being issued to identity thieves and fraudulent claims with fabricated wages and withholding..

New Federal Tax Law May Affect Some Refunds Filed in Early 2017; IRS to Share Details Widely with Taxpayers Starting This Summer

The Internal Revenue Service has announced initial plans for processing tax returns involving the Earned Income Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit during the opening weeks of the 2017 filing season. The IRS is sharing the information now to help the tax community prepare for the 2017 season, and plans are being made for a wider communication effort this summer and fall to alert taxpayers about the changes that will affect some early filers.

This action is driven by the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015 (PATH Act) that was enacted Dec. 18, 2015, and made several changes to the tax law to benefit taxpayers and their families. Section 201 of this new law mandates that no credit or refund for an overpayment for a taxable year shall be made to a taxpayer before Feb. 15 if the taxpayer claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit on the return.

This change begins Jan. 1, 2017, and may affect some returns filed early in 2017. Additional information is listed below.

To comply with the law, the IRS will hold the refunds on EITC and ACTC-related returns until Feb. 15.
                          This allows additional time to help prevent revenue lost due to identity theft and refund fraud related to fabricated wages and withholdings.
                          The IRS will hold the entire refund. Under the new law, the IRS cannot release the part of the refund that is not associated with the EITC and ACTC.
                          Taxpayers should file as they normally do, and tax return preparers should also submit returns as they normally do.
                          The IRS will begin accepting and processing tax returns once the filing season begins, as we do every year. That will not change.
                          The IRS still expects to issue most refunds in less than 21 days, though IRS will hold refunds for EITC and ACTC-related tax returns filed early in 2017 until Feb. 15 and then begin issuing them.

This is one more step the IRS is taking to ensure taxpayers receive the refund they are owed. The IRS plans to work closely with stakeholders and IRS partners to help the public understand this process before they file their tax returns and ensure a smooth transition for this important law change.

From my understanding this will also affect state returns but I cannot confirm this yet. Mine too has also been updated to 3 months processing time.

Jordan From Cali

Anyone in California with a update on State Refund received? As of today, mine is still saying 3 months processing, was accepted 1/28.

owen

Yeah, mine has been saying that since it was accepted on Jan 23. It’s Feb 2 as of today and still no refund in my acct. Wouldn’t be so frustrated but I have friends who filed after me and they have received their refunds. I received my Fed refund on Feb 8.

Carrie101
                                @carrie101

I have a feeling I won’t be seeing any movement on my state till my federal is done processing. Harumph.

StillFlippinBroke
                                  @wait4ever

Still nothing, filed on the 23 and I know others that filed after me and they already received theirs. My return for the state is only 200 dollars, kinda odd that it hasn’t gone through yet.

Jordan From Cali

I am in the same boat, just check it again just now and its saying the same thing, please allow up to 3 months for processing. I filed both my Federal and State on 1/24, Federal was accepted 1/27 while State was accepted 1/28. Received my Federal Refund on 1/30 for DDD of 2/1 still waiting for any news of a direct deposit of my State. Last year was my first year working in California. I moved and started working in California Feb 2016 from NY. Even in NY, I always received my State before Federal but this year was the first year I receive my Federal before State. I am hoping they update soon and that it doesn’t take 3 months like the website says to process.

Carrie101
                                      @carrie101

@amomslife, that is awesome! Next year I will definitely do just what you did. Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated. :)

amomslife
                                        @amomslife

@Carrie

Yes my refund was affected by path. I filed my federal on 1/20/2017 accepted on 1/23/2017 on 1/28/2017 got path message and on 1/30/2017 I decided to order both transcripts by mail account and return transcript showing a processing date for 2/13/2017.

amomslife
                                          @amomslife

@Carrie

I filed my federal first through turbo tax which h I do every year. I waited until after my federal was accepted and processed to file my state. I did file my California state return of franchise tax board website for free. While completing my state return a box popped up and asked if I wanted allow them to input the information they had on file from my federal and I selected yes. So with that being said they already had my federal return information and just matched it to what was on file. I filed 1/31/2017 and was authorized 2/1/2017 and received it 2/07/2017. Everything happened within seven days.

Carrie101
                                            @carrie101

@amomslife and anyone else who would like to answer: If you already got your CA state refund, I’m curious if you were able to order federal transcripts already? Also, did you file your state through the same service you filed your federal?

Sorry about the third degree. The reason I’m asking is I’ve heard some talk about the state not processing till the federal is complete. Not sure if there is any truth to that and I realize one person’s answers don’t make a theory true. Just trying to figure this out.

Thanks!

Just

Same boat. I filed 1/29 and talked to them today. They said that message is generic and that we should see refund by 10 business days.

amomslife
                                                @amomslife

Filed 1/31 authorized on 2/1 received refund 2/7

Carrie101
                                                  @carrie101

*updates

Carrie101
                                                    @carrie101

Unfortunately, a lot of us are getting that message. I spoke to the California Franchise Tax Board and they explained to me that this is just a generic message and most people never wait that long for their refund. Let’s hope for some good update soon.

Katie

This is my first year filing CA State tax…the site says it was received on 1/31. I stil don’t have an acceptance. Is that normal. In AZ I usually got my deposit in 5 days after filing. Simple small return $400 refund.

sarah

I also received this message today — were you able to find out anything?

amomslife
                                                          @amomslife

Create an account and log onto Ftb website, click on your 2016 return. It should say notices and will tell you if they have issued anything to you. If they need additional time to process this normally has to do with matching your return info to what’s on file. When I completed my return on Ftb website they already had my information from my federal and transferred it over to my state return. They were able to verify dependents claimed, filing status, and wages from my federal return. Has anything changed such as dependants claimed or income.

Just

Yes, except my date is January 29, 2017

Viewing 25 reply threads
                                                        • The forum ‘2017 Tax Season’ is closed to new topics and replies.