When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. LAKEY

Well here’s a crazy but hurtful update…. I got a call from my TA this month just to say she’s going to call me back next month…. WOW

2. Nika911

@CuriousKAT: o. But foreal. I think the irs be jiving. Lol. Because one min they send Usa letter asking to verify one thing then 4months later they say. O u didn’t need to amend that or send that or verify that. Just wait blah blah it’s crazy this tax year. Wish u luck on ur soon deposit. We getting our change soon. Hope sooner than later. Hell next tax season on the damn way right. Lol this is the worst tax season ever I believe for most of us.

3. CuriousKAT

@Nika911: apparently my audit happened because I had the audacity to claim my daughter that was born in July of last year, this came directly from the IRS

Jun-24

@Irsblues: They received mine on Feb.15th, approximately. I went under audit the end of January, my difference on my return was the self employment. I sat with a as of date of March 6th until about the second part of June and the date went to June something and a week later I updated to the ddd. I was lucky I could view my transcripts online otherwise I wouldn’t have known there was any movement. And it took a week for them to review what I had sent. Honestly, I know people say filing early is not good but since it went into audit so early, I was in the first batches for 2017 to be audited after they had the 2016’s completed otherwise I think I would still be waiting since they go in order.

5. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: @Sheila_33: when did they receive your audit files. Mine documents were received on 6/12.

6. Nika911

@CuriousKAT: same here. First they told me to amend then told me I didn’t need to amend then told me I did a I’d verify recently. SMH. I just think they with the bull and getting away with it. Straight up. I been waiting since Jan 24th and NO HAD NO fraud most people I see say slick things about the reason most waiting because they return is fraudulent. Naw. Them reps are fraud. Lol where our money at. I don’t even have a date yet atleast some u spoken too looked at something lol she told me another 9 we’d from the I’d verify date she gave me SMH but I did I’d verify back in Feb SMH just saying I know everyone see the bafooley is anybody guns shut they assess down for once and for all. Lol just a thought OK.

7. CuriousKAT

Still waiting, TA and IRS claim I’ll have my refund on or before 9/27 no WMR update since about 2/19 🤦🏾‍♂️

Jun-24

@Irsblues: So sorry to hear that. I wondered how you were doing since I haven’t seen a post from you. I assumed you were finished with this awful year. It took about a week for them to look at my paperwork and lift the audit after it sat in a pile for 5 months. Hopefully you’ll see a change soon.

9. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

I am still here. Still in audit. Called last week and they said they are just now working on documents received in March. My documents were received in June. My TA closed my case without me knowing. So they said I have to contact a supervisor to reopen case but its no guarantee it will be reopen. So its looking like November before I hear anything.

10. Sheila*33

@Nika911: well at least you know that the amended is done. Now its just the process of waiting. When was the date of the id verify, the last one?

11. Toni88

When you have an offset, is the amount they list on the hotline the amount taken? Or you must receive the letter first?

12. Nika911

@Sheila*33: Tru indeed. i got my transcripts in the mail from last update i believe, and the last thing is the amended lines smh so i guess im still awaiting the 846 because the rep told me i didnt need to amend just to id verify i am so frustrated with them foreall. they are doing this to so many people and its rediculous..

13. Sheila*33

@Nika911: I kept watching yesterday to see if you updated, frustrating as hell for you I know but hang in there. Remember its possible it won’t update on wmr so keep checking your checking acct in case you get a deposit without the wmr changing. I have seen a few do that.

14. Black_Skinbyrd

Good and bad news. Good is better than bad. My refund was FINALLY processed and a check will be mailed on Sept. 21st. Bad news is my credits were taken … Why? Because I didn’t fill out the form to receive credits after disallowance. I filled that form out for 2017 and I was under the impression that you only had to fill it out once. I filed 2016 and they used that excuse. So I am only getting part of my refund. But the good news is… I have to fax in the form and they will issue the rest of my refund. Hoping to see that in 9 weeks I guess.

15. Sheila*33

@Nika911: Transcripts should reflect something today if there is any change and tomorrow hopefully something changes on the wmr. Fingers crossed

16. Nika911

@Sheila*33: yess’s. Claim it girl I’m in need of them funds now more than ever that’s why I’ve been so patient and waited and waited just to have a I’d verify magical appear. I read somewhere down the feed that happened to someone but I don’t know if she got her money yet or how soon she seen a change. But is the next wmr update soon? I lost touch because the wait turned into just forgetting about my refund all together ya know.

17. Sheila*33

@Nika911: If I remember right I thought it was anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. And I have seen some people go from id verify to ddd as soon as a week on the next update. I have my fingers crossed that maybe transcripts will reflect something today and your wmr will change tomorrow. Hopefully….

18. Nika911

@Sheila_33: well since aug 4th they said my id verify was verified its still saying. IT IS STILLL being processed. i have no clue tho. i did id verify along time ago but thought i was awaiing to verify the amended but that wont even needed so thats void i guess so im goin through the process all over again i gues. so back to square one after the id verify, what was the turnaround for 2 orange bars again? i forgot it was months ago

Jun-24

@Nika911: Hopefully sooner. Any changes on the wmr?

20. Nicole

I am still heeeeeere. Sent all of my proof of dependent documents last week AND another amendment because apparently my tax preparer is a freaking moron.

Jun-24

@Nika911: Oh, I am so sorry. Tax advocates can be a help but it sounds like yours was completely inept. I wondered how you were doing since I hadn’t seen you. After all that, you would think they would get it wrapped up. This year has been so horrible.

22. Nika911

@Sheila_33: @Sheila_33: well Sheila. I’m still her e. SMH. Got a TA . SHE WAS NO HELP. Told me to amend. Then told me the it’s wants to verify my amended return. Got a stupid letter telling me to call them and send in a corrected w 2 form. Then I called. Was told I shouldn’t have amended and she see where I cancelled TA services. Aug 4th but I only needed to ID VERIFY SMH. And DID that she say Aug 4th. SMH and to just wait 9 weeks mumbo jumbo. Hopefully I’ll see something in 2 weeks. Don’t have no more energy to wait. No more weeks. Been waiting since Jan. 24th. Just to be told to wait again smh

23. Rina

@[email protected]: I did and had no luck there. But a few weeks ago, I received a letter in the mail that I was assigned a new TA. She stated she’d contact me on 9/14 and hopes to have my issue resolved by 10/27. I’m praying this will be the case. I’m so stressed out!! I’m literally praying to keep my sanity.

Jun-24

@JB: Are you able to view your transcripts?

Jun-24

@ItsMeTho: Hopefully not a long wait. At least you know that a request has been made and its in the process of being sent. If I remember right, checks normally go out on a Friday, so fingers crossed you see something soon.

Jun-24

@Black_Skinbyrd: Are you able to see transcripts at all either by mail or online? It’s possible they will be sending you a letter to ask for proof for dependents and income. I have filed with the same dependents, same filing status, except my income changed and was lower and this year was the first year I filed self employment. I went into audit and had to verify everything which turned out okay but took some months to get resolved. If you can view your transcript that would really help to see what’s going on.

27. JB

We got an advocate back in June and he has done absolutely nothing to help expedite our return. We have had two IRS reps make mistakes which initially caused a delay and now we’ve been waiting forever it’s been 12 weeks since the IRS has received our return and is still processing! What should we do? Why is this happening and why do they call them tax advocates when they are impossible to reach and offer no advocacy?

28. Black_Skinbyrd

I filed by Fax 2016 May 17th. Got and completed an ID Verify on July 2nd. I called many times and they said wait the 9 weeks. I filed 2017 with SAME dependents, same employment and relatively same income. And I received 2017 in 2 weeks. Its upsetting. When my 9 weeks was up a few days ago. I called and still nothing. All they would tell me is ID Verify takes 9 full weeks. I called yesterday and a lady dug deeper and said I would more than likely receive a letter, and that my refund was reduced by the EIC. She gave me the amount and it is exactly my federal income tax withheld. Will they give that to me? I can imagine I have to prove my dependents now…. I’m angry because they gave me 2017 with no issues. Same information. Why in the world do they do this? I’ve gotten no letters nothing. :-(

29. rodr2015

Hello, have hear of irs asking for copy w2 and last to check stubs and letter for your work. did id vifty and 60 days review and then another 60 days and then 5 days. and now this.

Jun-24

@Itsmetho: Honestly I don’t know. It’s kind of long but if you look at the Irs tax code definitions there may be something that might reference it . If I was in your situation, I would be looking at those. They are a list of code numbers that identify whats on your transcript.

31. TeeTee

Hello,
    I had to amend my taxes in May which was received by the IRS according to the wmar site May 11, 2018. Well the sixteen weeks have came and gone. The site said to Take Action and call the 1800 number which I did. However for some reason which I do not understand I didn’t pass the security questions and waa given an appointment two weeks from now to go into my local IRS office with photo ID to find out what’s going on. This has been a very long process. I originally filed 1/29 and had to already verify my ID in person in April, received a CPO5 which was up in June. Now this! Anyone been through this?

Jun-24

@Itsmetho: Explain what happened and let them know you have not received anything concerning your refund and would like to know the status.

Jun-24

@Itsmetho: It is 1-800-826-9434, you can check on a missing deposit or check and they could possibly tell you whats going on. Good luck.

34. CuriousKAT

@Jalisa (Not logged in): my story is very similar to yours, but I kept having to send in docs to my tax advocate but then in July my TA said they had until 8/15 to accept and then when I talked to my TA on 8/15 I was informed that everything was approved and all adjustments were made and I would get my refund on or before 9/27 I called the irs and they verified, so in my infinite ability to not trust people I called the irs on 8/27 and practically say “hey I thought I was supposed to have my money by today 8/27” and they said no it’s 9/27 so I’m trying to patiently wait but my WMR has not changed since February and still says take action, but the IRS and my TA says that most times that doesn’t change until you get your deposit, at this point I just don’t know

@suva: Congratulations!

36. Jalisa (Not logged in)

@CuriousKAT: i have take action as well mine updated to take action after i had a ddd for 7/11 then i was audited sent my docs 7/13 it was accepted now im just waiting hopefully i get a dd or ddd soon whats your story

Jun-24

@Itsmetho: Have you called and talked to the treasury dept?

Jun-24

@CuriousKAT: I had the take action until the morning the Wmr updated to a ddd after 5 months and an audit. I have seen a few people get their refund and the Wmr never changed.

39. Itsmetho

How long in reality for a paper check to be reissued if it is not cashed vs if somebody did steal it.i lt was mailed to an old unfwd address and irs hasnt eecwuved2 it back 5 weeks later so i started a trace. Is it realistic to really have to wait 6 more weeks?

40. CuriousKAT

been waiting since feb for my returns after a 6 month tennis match i’ve been told i should have my refund on or before 9/27 i am hoping that this is finally it after waiting for so long and i know there are so many other still waiting, but my WMR still has not updated anything and still says “TAKE ACTION” has anyone else WMR never update and they still received their funds?

41. Sheila*33

@Mzb: If I remember right Fridays were the day the Treasury kicked out checks but with you having the date of the 30th maybe sooner.

42. Mzb

Question if your tax check schedule to be mailed on 8/30 do you think they will mail it out that day or before

43. Domino

@Stillwaitinghere: The exact same thing happened with me and I didn’t find out and have it submitted until early July and I’m still waiting even though I was told I should have had it by the second week of August.

44. Staci B.

@Praystomydeitiesfortheirblessings: congrats!!!……. I pray that next tax season goes much smoothly than this one…..take care -)

45. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@beautifult:
    I replied to wrong person. But look at that comment, it should do the trick. Good luck!!

46. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@Praystomydeitiesfortheirblessings:
    Good morning!!
    If you used an online or tax prep, they should have a tab where you can amend. I used TurboTax and had to amend also. It was pretty easy. You will have to mail it in though, unless you have a TA

47. Praystomydeitiesfortheirblessings

So I finally got my money today!!! I didn’t update on wmr also my ta was suppose to call me to give me a date, I was school shopping and I went to look at my account to make sure I had enough for my daughter’s shoes and bam!!!! It’s been a long ass ride. Making a donation to igmr

48. beautifult
      BOA
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

So after 6 months they are now telling me to amend. I have no idea how to amend myself. Do I have to go to a tax prep or it’s sort of kind of easy?

49. Stillwaitinghere

Ok so after months of beefing told wait and further review and see if you get a letter and all kind of bs I finally get an answer. Apparently whoever put in that my verification was successful never finished putting it in so after an hour long phone call and being transferred to every damn department I get a worker who tells me what’s wrong and says that now it’s another 9 weeks bc it’s being processed as if I did the verification yesterday. Smh

Jun-24

@Stillwaitinghere: Maybe in the morning, there will be a change on the Wmr. I was really hoping some people would see some transcript changes today.

Jun-24

@Chrissy: I know in some situations it is possible to get a credit on child tax credits but I’m unsure what the income requirement is. It would not hurt to check and see.

52. Chrissy

So this year I’ve only worked for literally one full month and made less than a gross of $1,500 due to me having my final child and not wanting to leave her. Is there anyway possible to claim three kids with such low income? Would I qualify for any credits? Has anyone been in this situation and actually got money back?

53. Rina

Still here. Just hadn’t posted lately due to so much going on. I did not ask for a TA, the rep said I needed one due to how long it had been. I have literally called her everyday for the last 4 weeks and no call back. Every time I call the IRS they say I have to refer to her. However I did speak with a rep who said I needed to amend my 2016 and 2017 due to withholding being off. I’ve completed the amended but I can’t fax them in because I have a TA but I hadn’t sent them because she won’t call back. Any suggestions?

54. Nicole

@Dean: I received the same notice then weeks after I was due my refund, received another letter requesting documents proving my dependents were mine, etc. You may want to get a TA at this point.