When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Shanice

So I was assigned a TA finally after telling me my refund was held since January they finally let me know it was due to me not reporting a w2 I never received. So I go to amend and it’s trying to say I now owe a balance ?? I’ve never amended but I know I shouldn’t owe anything I think I did something wrong does anyone know about amendments?

Jun-24

@Staci B.: It always helps to have someone to listen and this site provides that. And if one person hasn’t been thru it someone else has. Nice meeting another nana trying to raise their grandkids. Hopefully talk to you later.

3. Praystomydeitiesfortheirblessings

My tax was released last week, but still don’t have an update on wmr. I got a TA and she was very pleasant and sweet. Don’t know what my due date is or if I have one yet because I can’t check my transcript online. Praying everyone who has been here gets some good news soon. The irs are the scammers, and they are stealing money. If you did see the news about a irs worker stealing people’s identities and filing tax refunds it has bvb gapped last week

4. Staci B.

@Sheila_33: hi, just wanted to say thanks for hanging around to encourage those of us who are / or had been seeking answers to questions about our refund delays. I know that before I got my refund I would come to this forum to read others comments/question or concerns. It really helps to have people here who can share experiences and give sound advice to other who are really having a difficult time. Due to my job schedule I won’t be lurking around as much but I will check on everyone weekly. Thanks to you and everyone here who have helped give those of us who need/ed a sense of clarity and some peace of mind. THANKS!!!!

5. Staci B.

@Jalisa (Not logged in): hi, i’ve been following your story, I think most of us who have been here since jan. are happy to see when someone finally get some positive news. I got my deposit on 8/15 after going through an audit for dependents. my tax advocate did not help, but all tax advocates are not the same. when I got my audit letter , it stated my case should be done by late aug-early sept. so I think it was time for my case to be done. . my TA was suggested by a tax agent when I called for info on my audit. on 8/18 i got letter from TA stating my case was going to need more time, and that he will contact my on 8/27 for an update!….lol..my wmr. never updated to “approved” it still says ” processing”. I truly pray that you get your money soon, I can only imagine what stress this must be causing.

Jun-24

@Jalisa (Not logged in): That would be a horrible experience. To have a ddd and think you’re finished and then an audit. That is just awful. Just proves the Irs is capable of anything, even after getting a deposit date.

7. Jalisa (Not logged in)

Try getting a ddd for 7/11/2018 and getting it snatched back for a eic audit yea my situation after filing 1/24/18 id verify still nothing cp05 and following a 4464c amending and received 4/16/18
    Ddd 7/11/2018 no money and 420 dated 5/18/2018 sent proofs and received a letter saying they received it on 7/13/18 and give them til 11/30/18 to review…My geesh im overwhelmed exhausted i need my money but don’t know about a tax advocate

8. Nika911

@Dave: hunny so sorry ur going thru this. If u scroll back to january… Decades of us are STILLL waiting since Jan…. grab a seat and a number cuz we all tired of the madness the it’s got more trix then a rabbit they kings and queens of letters sending and code attaching. No answers. Just pray and grab a Pepsi or ur choice. By the end of the tunnel u will need a carona right along with us… Just pray about it and the it’s processing department. They get they money tho 1st and foremost. Good luck though

9. Nika911

@Praystomydeitiesfortheirblessings: how long after they sent referral in did they release it

Jun-24

@Dean: Can you see your transcripts at all? Even if you have to order them it could give you some insight into what’s going on

11. Nika911

How long after. A GOOD TA…LOL.. Put In a referral once they received the amended return did someone see movement like deposit date. Tire of waiting. Jan 24th. And still waiting. Bshyt

12. Dean

Hi, i got a notice CP12 and was supposed to be receiving an adjusted refund amount from IRS within 4 to 6 weeks of the notice date, and it’s been 10 weeks i haven’t received anything, i don’t owe any debts or taxes either, when i call them i can’t speak to a live agent and the automated system says we can’t discuss my information, what should i do in this case?

13. Praystomydeitiesfortheirblessings

How lonng after a TA gets taxes released does your money come to your bank account

Jun-24

Fingers crossed you all see some transcript changes today.

15. Praystomydeitiesfortheirblessings

My refund was released!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to my wonderful T.A!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been here since February!!!!!!!

16. LAKEY

I got a call from my tax advocate on yesterday stating that she now has everything to move forward. I had to send in verification of my children etc from the years of 2014 and 2015. My next update is set for the 14th of Sept, hopefully more good news or a possible DDD. Has anyone else gotten any updates?

Jun-24

@KBdoe: Federal debts are taken out of the refund before it is sent to the treasury to be dispersed so that doesn’t delay anything. Are you sure you had a balance due you after the debt was paid?

18. Staci B.

@Irsblues: hi, thanks …. hang in there it’s coming!….it think that as of date means they are going to try to wrap things up in that time frame, so if this has any credibility hopefully you will update Sat. moringing with refund date for next week or sooner? you never can tell with this season!… my wmr never updated to approved, it said “being processed” so check your bank acct. daily….and my TA sent a letter saying ” theres a hold up ” on my refund and it may take longer…funny because I updated last Sat. morning… sad but the bad TAs make good TAs look bad, and that’s not fair to those who really work on our cases. take care and pls. keep us up to date on your case. -)

19. Dave

I haven’t received my state tax yet. It been over 90 day . Maybe because I alway owe them I don’t know now I’m getting a refund this year and now I’m being reviewed.

20. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Staci B.: @Staci B.: congrats. No new codes etc. I am done with TA service found out my case was closed and didn’t know it. Still no refund code or anything. In audit received letter on 6/12 that says I should receive a response by 10/20

21. J2013

Hi! Quick question. When taxes are filed with an expired itin and then that itin is renewed, what happens. Does the refund come after or should one call the irs?

22. KBdoe

Twyla Wells 4060 Preferred Pl Dallas Tx 75237 and I want to make around 2000 monthly plz thank you

23. KBdoe

Question though, my refund was offset for a federal debt. DDD of Aug 8th but the remainder hasn’t been sent to my card yet. They said to contact if not arrived by the 13th. They stated it was sent to my preparers financial institution. Would the offset delay the deposit by a few days?

24. Ned

I was told I had to either mail in my verification for my employment or Make a appointment for their local office. Once I made a appointment and i went in the lady told me that she verified everything and i should either receive a letter within 60 days or my refund will be available due to she didn’t have that power to release my refund to me. Does that mean I’ll get my refund soon?

Jun-24

@Domino: A 9001 could refer to a delay in processing your return for no reason except that they need more time to process. In a few cases, I have seen that code and a week later it updated to a refund date and I have seen it paired with a id verify.

26. Domino

Would someone explain to me what a reference code 9001 would indicate? WMR updated to that for me today.

27. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@Sheila_33: Thank you!!! WooooHoooo!!

28. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

@Buckeye89: Thank you!! I will prepare myself for more of the same next year…but am hoping they will leave me alone

29. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

@Staci B.: Thank you!!! Congrats to you, too :) I hope next year is much kinder to us…but for now…yayyyyy!!! FINALLY

30. Buckeye89
      OH
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough:
    So glad you are done!!
    Just to think all this madness starts all over here in a few short months. Wonder what will be this upcoming tax season’s BS?

31. Staci B.

@Beautifultcd: hi, my story is that i filed my taxes late jan. got letter of being audited in feb. was told that i needed to provide documents showing proof of my dependents, i sent proof in March and until yesterday there weren’t really any changes in my returns. was assigned a TA in july, and to be honest I never had a conversation with my TA. I truly think it was just time for my audit to be done, I don’t think my TA had anything to do with the progress of my return. I’m so glad this tax season is over, but I pray that everyone still waiting on a refund will get a positive update soon, this has been an awful tax season , I don’t wish this on anyone.

Jun-24

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: More good news! Congratulations!

33. #overit

Like the rest of many of Americans. I am still waiting on my refund. I went & met a TA to prove my identity for me & my kids. I was told I would receive my refund in 9 weeks. It’s been 8 & have yet to see a piece of mail or my money. Anyone else have a clue on this situation.

34. Staci B.

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: congrats!!!! I’m so happy for you! you , like most of us still here have been getting the run around and then some! but finally it’s all over for you. My transcripts updated yesterday, my ddd is 8/15 nothing is in my bank acct. as yet, but just knowing it should be there on wed. is great news. take care and enjoy your refund. i’ve said before, but after waiting for almost 8 mos. I will NEVER complain about waiting 3-6 weeks to get my refund again.

35. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

Just checked WMR…DD date of August 15th…but it’s already hit my bank account!!! Hallelujah!!! I hope everyone else still waiting gets good news today, to!!! So relieved…and with a little interest :)

Jun-24

@Tasha0018: No unfortunately not.

37. Dej

38. Tasha0018

Ugh.. i just called the irs again and they are saying I have to do I lD verify. Can that be done online?

Jun-24

@Estela: Just ask your employer for an earnings statement for last year and fax it in. Or is this a former employer?

Jun-24

@Staci B.: Awesome! Finally! Its coming, just take a deep breath and think good thoughts.

41. Estela

The irs is not wanting to accept a w2 form for a 1040X, irs is askin me for earning statement or a letter from the employer? Please help wat do i need to ask for

42. Staci B.

@Sheila_33: hi from transcripts i should be getting my refund 8/15,but as I stated to irsblues, I will believe it when I see the money! ☺

43. Staci B.

@Irsblues: hi my as of date changed to August 27 today,yesterday it was April 02, I read my entire acct. transcript and I have code 846- for 8/15. And my examination closed date is 8/15. At first I was skeptical ,since my as of date changed weeks ago but in few hrs changed back. I’m somewhat numb because until refund shows in bank account i can’t really celebrate because this tax season is so unpredictable.

44. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Sheila_33: yes prior my as of Date was 7/31

Jun-24

@Irsblues: That’s exactly what mine did so I really believe that’s great news. That date finally changed for me after sitting for 3 months. If it stays there and doesn’t flip back then I think you have a good chance of finishing in the next couple of weeks.

Jun-24

@Tasha0018: There’s always a chance. Transcripts update today so if there are any changes you might see something. Its so frustrating when you can’t see them online, and you’re at the mercy of what they tell you on the phone.

47. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

No upfate other than my as of Date has changed to 8/27

Jun-24

@Tasha0018: The reps you call on that number only see what you can see on your transcript if you’re able to view online. Unfortunately they can’t tell you too much and have a standard message they give you.

49. Tasha0018

Ok, I filed Electronically & was accepted July 25…Schedule C, Disabled Brother, Form 8862..The next day I was able to order blank transcripts, lol. I cant view online. Well I just called the IRS, 800-829-0582 ext 652, No Hold time immediately answered. I inquired about my refund. Seems to me like the rep didnt know what she was talking about. She was like “Umm i see on monday the 6th it was a mistake made on our end so it still says processing. Its gone take an additional 6-8weeks maybe. I cant see what the problem is but its on our end not yours. This was updated on Monda the 6th. So give it some time, it may not take that long but give it time. I hate i cant tell you anything “…… Somebody tell me how that sounds

50. LAKEY

Whose been through a audit reconsideration before has gotten approved ????? Please give me the run down or the steps that was taken???? What was the outcome?

51. LAKEY

@wes302: That’s ridiculous to have to wait till November 9th, so basically we’ll be getting refunds back to back…… I just don’t understand any of this, we sit and wait months after months just to be told we have to wait months and months again.

52. wes302

Still waiting here. IRS will review my documents I sent in and my return by November 9th, Wow filed in January.

53. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

Is it just me or is it beyond ridiculous that ANYONE is still waiting on their refund in August???

Jun-24

If you have an advocate and you’re not getting any response, please call the advocate supervisor. I have seen several have problems at the beginning of the year with their advocates and they ended up getting answers from the supervisor. If they are not returning your voice messages, there is a problem.

55. Staci B.

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: I feel it frustration, my TA has yet to contact me by phone,when I call it goes to voicemail. I’ve been waiting since late January. I’m usually a patient person but this tax season has tested my patience to the max and then some.

56. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

Our system is complete BS…I just talked to my TA again as for some inexplainable reason my “received’ went back to the dreaded ‘still processing’ and they have until August 10th according to her to ‘work it’ even though it shows they closed ‘the case’ back on July 13th…and now she is saying I should have it by Aug 31st and she will check with me then to not call her before…so it takes 21 MORE days to release the damn thing to me??? That is if it is even “worked” by Aug 10th…it’s all just a stall tactic, BS game and is criminal…so frustrated- just want to cry

57. Mrman2man

I’m going to post a phone number if you are having issues call it and tell them your problem with the IRS this way they will be forced to release refunds quickly.. We have to stand together if we want things to get done. Please let’s make some noise

58. Tesha

Hello all. I just wanted to know if SBTPG deposits the same day they receive the deposit from the IRS? I see they got it today and was wondering if it will possibly go to my bank today. My DDD is for 8/8. It’s been a long time coming..lol

59. Mrman2man

Everyone if you have a advocate please call the intake line everyday apply pressure. If you owed the IRS they will run you down or take it asap

60. LAKEY

@Sheila*33: I was able to get everything only thing I lacked was the utility bills for 2014 but I did have the leasing info because I was living with my mom, I sent in invoices in regards to my schedule C, I sent in leases, utility bill (only for 15) shot records, letter from their doctor, letters from their schools, birth certificates, SS Cards, insurance cards, mileage records, oil change receipts, tuition receipts…… LORD WHATS NEXT and now I have a call set for the 13th I’m praying for the magical word APPROVED!!!!!

61. Sheila*33

@LAKEY: i had to send in copies of the kids birth certificates, socials, school records, immunizations, utility bills, mortgage info, anything pertaining to me taking care of them. 5 kids and over 100 pages.