When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. LAKEY

Can someone tell me exactly what documents have to be sent in to your TA for the IRS….. documents like proving your children belong to you???? Just trying to make sure everything I sent in will get me approved.

2. LAKEY

@shine: You’ve gotten further than me my I’ve had my TA since June and she has never called me I always had to call her, I had an appointment on July 20th and then another one on July 30th, she never called me on neither so I called her supervisor, I had to send in soooooooo much info proving my kids are my kids and I’m still left without any update. WMR still says my refund has been applied to a past due tax obligation.

3. Nicole

Got a letter that my TA was on an unexpected lead and would call me by Aug 20. Of course that would happen when I have legit questions.

4. Sheila*33

@TW: 2018 the year, the 31 is the week of the year that your return was accepted into the system and 05 is the day of the week that the irs works on your return which is a Thursday of the irs work week.

5. Sheila*33

@Staci B.: i think it’s a great sign. It means things are moving along. My opinion….any change is a good indication that it’s being worked on and closer to a refund date.

6. Staci B.

@Sheila_33: hi, i checked my tax acct. (not acct. transcript) and at first it had the amount owed for 2017 was zero, now today it states that if you requested any adjustments information will not be available until transaction is complete. when i first filed my return they said i did not qualify for head of household and said i owed $1500. it later changed to zero balance now it’s saying no info available, any thoughts on this? i’m hoping they are adjusting refund by adding in interest fees which they owe because of the long wait….or it could be something negative who knows with the way this tax season is going, thanks in advance.

@Shine: Congratulations!

8. Shine

@Sheila_33: I have ddd aug8 after 3wk getting tax advocate July 5. put in referral to irs and he call me on Aug 1st said I was approve and irs may have date on Aug 28 but I woke to a ddd today for Aug 8th finally thank you jesus

9. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • 4464C Letter

Still here. No update on transcripts. No movement in months. I was told my wages were off, they are not, and I would receive a letter to send in documents. That was end of May beginning of June. Still nothing! I refuse to get an advocate because of the horror stories from friends and family members. I guess I’ll be here until next tax season. Hopefully everyone gets their money soon. I am so over the Lie R S!!!

10. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@Staci B.: Happened to me last tax season…got my refund late January 2017

11. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

@Sheila_33: Right? My TA verified they needed nothing it was closed out…just not released…I am beyond over it.

Jun-24

@Black_Skinbyrd: This has been the worst year that I have ever seen. Congrats on your deposit date. Small ray of sunshine for an otherwise awful year.

Jun-24

@Staci B.: I’m was really hoping you were going to see something. I just don’t understand it.

Jun-24

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: I cannot for the life of me figure out what in the heck is going on with your return. They have all your info from last year, should know everything there is to know and you’re still just sitting. It’s beyond ridiculous.

15. Staci B.

@Sheila_33: no updates for me, i left msg for TA’s supervisor, because he has not been keeping appts. or returning my calls. I truly thought I would be done with this, I mean it’s been almost 8 mos. since I filed my returns.

16. Staci B.

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: by the time i get my refund it will be Christmas or next tax season.

17. Staci B.

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: sorry accidentally sent last msg. before i finished it. i was saying… by the time i get my refund it will be Christmas or next tax season.

18. Staci B.

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: oh no! I was so hoping that you got an update….. that would’ve given us some hope!… im at a point that when i see someone else get an update it makes me feel somewhat better . my TA has not kept any scheduled calls, i’ve only recieved an initial letter from him, letting me know that he would try to close out my case by end of Aug. I still don’t have a clue as to whether or not my case will be approved or not. and I filed in late Jan. Ive contacted my congressman but Im trying to hold off just in case i get an update soon. getting the congressman involved will probably start another 30 day or longer wait period . Something has to give! I’m not someone trying to fraud the govt. just a taxpayer trying to get my well deserved refund. by the time i get my refund

19. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

I completely give up…this is beyond ridiculous.

20. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

@Staci B.:No update…I give up…it’ll be a January refund again at this point…I swear they hold it longer if you call or get an advocate just to mess with you…

21. Black_Skinbyrd

@Sheila_33: I filed 2016 at the beginning of May. I did not file 2017 at that time because I wanted 2016 to be completed. I got an ID verify on 2016 return a month later. I verified several weeks ago and am STILL waiting on 2016. I am angry for EVERYONE here. One reason is because I finally filed 2017 a couple weeks ago. This morning I updated to a Deposit date of August 8th. 2016 is STILL sitting there. Everytime I call them they tell me nothing and tell me to wait 9 weeks. I don’t understand why they can process 2017 with no delays and 2016 just sits. I know they are full of %#[email protected] now. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting on a return whether it be current or past…

Jun-24

Any changes for anyone on Wmr this morning?

23. shine

@LAKEY: July 5th I got the advocate to send a request to irs the advocate says it take 2 to three weeks for and answer so the advocate say irs approve on Aug 1st. how long u think it take to update

24. Nothappywiththeirsrightnow

Quick question if is says that you refund has been credit to your account as of Aug 5 could that mean you will get your money

25. shine

@LAKEY: I had my tax avovacte since July 5 he pose to up date with me on July 20th but he say no later than Aug 2nd but he call me Aug 1 say things were approve with irs give them 3 3wk but he gone call me In 2wk just let me know if they got a date and he said 3wk at the most is that really true or it could be soon

26. msmak30
      Michigan
      Netspend
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Filed 02/15 and im still here…smh. Got a letter saying my case was sent to Andover
    .. WHatever that means

27. Staci B.

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: hi u might update tomorrow with a deposit date ☺. I’m a patient person but this has gotten out of hand. Most still here have been waiting 6 months or longer.

28. Staci B.

@Joy0884: I was given similar info by mail from my TA. documents i
    faxed in March are sitting waiting for someone to review. I filed taxes late jan. Sent first batch of documents for review early March, they requested additional docs. which I sent late March. TA. Has yet to contact me by phone, TA said he should be done with my case late August,early September. Will believe it when I see refund in bank account.

29. LAKEY

@Nicole: Mine never called me and she keep saying she has sent me things in the mail since June I’ve never received it, her attitude is so nasty, when all we need is help with getting what we worked hard for,

30. LAKEY

Good Morning, No updates has of yet, I mean I’ve only been waiting since FEB2018, (SMH) long story short, my TA has not kept any of her appointments with me,and then I call her for a update just to touch bases on MY MONEY… she proceeds to tell me she didn’t know what I was expecting from her, so I disconnected from her and spoke with her supervisor sent in the other half of my life proving my EIC etc for 2014 and 2015, now I’m just back to the waiting the game after the supervisor stated she would be the one to send it over. My TA is making all TA’s look bad!!!!! I’m praying for a update and to get my refund because if this is not corrected they will take my refund every year for nothing.

31. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

@Sheila_33: Hi Sheila- no she did not give a specific date but she wasn’t happy as there was no reason it hadn’t just been released- so she said she was going to get it expedited. I am not under a hardship, although at this point they consider it one, but the lack of urgency in the IRS for people has reached an all tie high- not sure what is going on but one would think in this day & age they could get things done much more time efficiently. I am hoping I have some solid good news as I have basically been given the runaround for months.

32. Nicole

My TA was supposed to call me on 8/1. Guess who still hasn’t heard from him? His voicemail has been full all week too. SMH

33. Nika911

Still here. SMH. tax adv r the middle men. We been waiting forever they just ask u to send amended to the irs something then send them a copy and they stamp it and send they copy received to irs then can’t tell u what to change on ur amended well how u know what needed fixing. And nope tried the irs. .no help. They know tax time is ova now they not just rude they lazy now shit is ridiculous. Tell tax adv I’m experiencing hardship NOW I am. SMH but what’s the or so they can document the crap we going thru out hea than attach more time to ur wait like we believeing the time frame they giving us at this pt been waiting since Jan 24th. Jesus please take the wheel… Shut the irs down Afta we get our funds LETS NOT FORGET WHATS OWED TO US

34. Shine

@Tasha0018: someone said it takes 3 3wk after it’s approve yo go back in process once approve if u were under examination

35. Tasha0018

@Shine: hopefully you can order transcripts tomar, wmr update Saturday morning for Wednesday DDD

36. Shine

spoke to my advocate he say irs approve my refund how long it take for it to update or change on transcript and where my refund

37. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Joy0884: I mailed mine in June

Jun-24

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: Did she give you an idea what day of the week they finished with you last week? I’m wondering if they finished you off and that’s why it updated to the still processing message but had not went to the next stage of inputting it into your transcript last week. I’m really hoping you’re going to see something this Saturday morning on the Wmr. And since you talked to them today and transcripts are updated tomorrow the TA was still seeing last weeks transcripts. I’m not saying its a sure thing because who knows with the Irs but I am really hoping that is how it plays out.

39. Joy0884

Faxed in all documents needed for a mail audit back in may …just called for any update this week.The lady said they are still reviewing documents faxed in Jan-Mar. And haven’t gotten to the time frame I’m in May… said they should get to it by Oct/Nov try back then. They need to hire more employees to review!! My money is just laying on their desk collecting dust!
    Best of luck to everyone

40. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

I spoke to my TA about my status turning from ‘received’ back to “still processing’ and she was surprised as my ‘case’ or whatever had been closed out last week & she could find no reason at all why it wasn’t released, it should be- she has now put in a request to expedite…anyone else ever have this happen or know what to expect- how much longer of a wait now?? Any input or advice is GREATLY appreciated.

41. Jessejones

Hey it’s not letting get my transcript without financial information. I don’t have car loan,credit cards, none of that. Is there some way around it

42. Tasha0018

So. I been reading that the system allows you to order transcripts by phone, even if you havent filed. I tested the theory with s few others.and yupp you can. I hate i cant view online

43. Tasha0018

@Sheila_33: Ok.. I remember usually if you order both that means it comimg. But if you can order only one you can..

Jun-24

@Tasha0018: No, it doesn’t mean you’re not making progress, I think its a good sign you can order them. Just be prepared in case it gets held up. You may slide right thru, I saw several that processed and got their refunds. I’m just seeing a large batch this year that were looked at a little closer. And it was also early in the year when fraud happens the most.

45. Tasha0018

@Sheila_33: Wow.. So it really dont mean anything that I was able to order both transcripts

46. Craig

I find it funny that the IRS can pay interest on all of the returns that are just sitting somewhere just to appease the FED. Maybe 10% of the flagged returns end up fraudulent and I might be exaggerating it. so imagine the IRS paying $100 on average to say one million returns. That’s $100,000,000…. I think the actual numbers are higher but still. If anyone is defrauding the government, it’s the FED.

Jun-24

@Tasha0018: They are looking at self employment closer this year. I have filed the same way, the same exemptions, etc. for the past 6 years. This was the first year I filed self employment and I immediately went into audit a week after the tax season started. I had read somewhere that they are looking at self employment income closer this year and I had everything to prove it but I honestly didn’t expect the audit since everything else was the same.

48. Tasha0018

@LAKEY: two years ago, I had this same issue. I ended up calling a tax advocate in another region and getting help from their supervisor. If they dont like their jobs, they should quit. The last thing we need is for some to catch an attitude about our own money. Everybody had a boss

49. LAKEY

@Tasha0018: I just called my TA back and she was so rude, she was like she didn’t know what I was expecting from her, it really pissed me off cause she’s lying saying that she has been sending me letters since June and I know for a fact she hasn’t, and she also stated that she hasn’t sent my information in to the IRS cause she wasn’t sure if I sent her everything, I just hung the phone up in her face cause all she’s doing is LYING and this has been the roughest time for me I don’t know who else to talk to cause the supervisor wont call me back either.

50. LAKEY

My TA will not return any of my calls meaning I’m just stuck in the loop with no update or anything. I’m really sick of this and honestly convinced I will not get an update nor will I get my refund.

51. Tasha0018

Hi, Ok, on July 25,2018. ,last Wednesday,I filed my Self Employed tax Retun. On it, I claimant my disabled father whom of which uses a hospice. ..On yesterdt, July 32, 2018, I was able to order both transcripts by phone,Its not letting me view them online. This mornimg, I had no ststus update…What do you guys think. I also had to file a form 8862 because I was disallowed EIC two years ago. What you guys thinks going on being thsg I was able to order transcripts?

Jun-24

@Shanice: I know what you mean, but honestly I’ve seen more good advocates than bad. Also, this time of year is going to be busier for them because of all the reviews and audits holding returns. Just let them know your situation and hopefully you’ll get some answers. Good luck and let us know how its going for you.

53. Tasha0018

@Sheila_33: Thank you. I tried to pull my transcripts online but its asking for like suto loan accounts or credits number. I dont have either.

54. Fedupwantmybread1

Talked to my tax advocates manager and he states I should hear something by aug 6th. Smh at least they got my paperwork

55. Shanice

@Sheila_33: Thank you for your response , I’m so nervous about the advocate because I hear good and bad things about them. They put in a referral for me some weeks ago …. does that even matter ?? I got my transcripts this last Tuesday and literally nothing has been touched 🤦🏻‍♀️

Jun-24

@Shanice: You have been processing so long that the hardship referral shouldn’t apply to you now. Call for an advocate. You definitely are eligible for it now.

Jun-24

@Tasha0018: Well, there’s been a change since you can order them so that’s a good thing. Hopefully you’ll see a change on the WMR soon. And even better if that change is a refund date.

58. Shanice

Does anyone know what would qualify you for a hardship , I’m still waiting on my funds from the irs that I filed and was accepted on 1/29 and have been given the 60 day holds twice. I recently was let go from my job while on maternity leave and one of my children will be starting school in a couple of weeks and I have no funds ! Can someone help me

59. Tasha0018

@Sheila_33: I was able to order both transcripts by phone this morning, what does that means? I was approved on July 25th, which was last Wednesday. Do you think i will get them?

Jun-24

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: I had that happen to me two years ago, and I updated to a refund date on the next Saturday. Hang in there, it sounds promising.

Jun-24

@ehuggy080193: If you can access your transcripts online that would give you an idea on your progress. Usually Wednesday mornings and Saturday mornings are the big updates on the WMR. Transcript updates are usually on Tuesday and Friday. Don’t stress too much yet, see if tomorrow morning or Sat. morning there’s any change on the WMR.