When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Flipflop

@LAKEY: once the examiner receives whatever you sent the advocate, the examiner has three business days to respond to the advocate. Unfortunately, there are several steps between things going from the advocate to the examiner. It stops at the desks of several other people before it gets to the examiner. This is on your advocate to speed it up.

2. LAKEY

@Nicole: I think mines is flat out lying to me, the only way I knew what documents was needed was because I picked up the phone and call them, she’s had my case for 31 days now and I have still yet to hear from her, if she doesn’t call me by Friday the 20th, I’m moving forward with her supervisor. It’s been the longest 6 months ever, because I know I don’t owe the IRS NOTHING…..

3. Nicole

@LAKEY: Hes kind of….unorganized and he presents everything as “they were supposed to do this but this went wrong, I am working to expedite” blah blah. That being said, I do believe he has helped move it along, just sucks with follow through until its time for him to call again.

4. LAKEY

@Nicole: Has the process with your TA been a rocky one? Or has it been a big help? Just wondering cause I have one but have yet to hear from her?

5. LAKEY

@Flipflop: I don’t know what’s going on, I sent in all required documentation, she states that she’s going to assist with getting this expedited, I just want to know how long does this process take once she sends the documentations to the IRS.

6. 2112

So I had my 16 weeks run out on WMAR witch has said since FEB 19 that they received my return then i called to find out that it is not in there system to process anything (They Lost it but did not say they did) talked to first rep on phone they say there is nothing in the system for them to process you will have to re submit , so i call another rep they say it shows you called and it is being processed as of this day give it 30 days and rep was very short with me wouldn’t give me any info tells me don’t worry about what first rep said , I don’t like his answer and call again to IRS local office to tell them I need to find out how i can see if defiantly being processed , He says there is no flag for anything in the system to be proceed so there is nothing for them to do i need to resubmit so I tell him i want to hand carry it to the IRS office near me he says its not going to get were it needs to any faster because they just take it from there and mail it to Kansas City .. So I mailed it myself with and it needs to be signed that it was received by them that was last Thursday it is now Tuesday …So I get to wait another over 3 months to get this refund now because someone lost my paperwork ??? there system should have known that nothing was being done all that time but it waited till the 16 weeks was up to tell me it was not processed sorry ???

7. Staci B.

I called the irs examination line and I was on hold for over 2 hrs I got tired of waiting and hung up, has anyone had any success calling that number? 1-866-897-0177…….I have had a TA for a little over and week and still have not gotten a call back. this tax season is beyond ridiculous!!!!.

8. Flipflop

@LAKEY: if the advocate is not helping you expedite the audit reconsideration, it could take 6-9 months before someone reviews what you sent in.

9. LAKEY

Ive been waiting on my return since FEB was advised by WMR that it was applied to a past due tax obligation for 2014 and 2015 after getting the run around since march I got a TA and was told it was because i got audit for those years and didnt get the letters cause i had moved, so now i was able to do a audit reconsideration and had to send in proof of all credits filed for 14 and 15 sent all 45 pages in and now i still have no updates ….. at this point I just want to give up, this to much
    we are half way through the year and no updates or nothing

10. Sking

I got a letter saying my tax refund was amended and they re did them when can I expect the refund amount

Jun-24

@Sarah Hinojosa: Are you able to view your account transcript online to see if any codes have been added? If you are not able to, you might order them and see if that would provide any information on your return.

12. Sarah Hinojosa

I filed income taxes jointly with my husband in mid April. Shortly after I received a notice that the refund is being withheld due to his debt. I mailed an injured spouse form in early May and was told it may take up to 12 weeks to receive refund which would be less than the original amount. How do I know if the form was received and the status of my refund?

13. Staci B.

@Sheila_33: hi, I will give it about a week, to see if my TA calls, if not I will contact supervisor and just wait it out. sad part is that I know it’s finished. I consider myself a patient person, however to be put in a situation where no one is willing to give you an explanation, or to be straight out lied to is unacceptable. as stated earlier, I will never complain about waiting 6 wks. for a refund again!…lol…….take care and enjoy your weekend.

Jun-24

@Staci B.: if they are working in sequence then yours should be coming up, and an advocate working for you should help. I had no success with an advocate and gave up waiting for return calls in April and just waited it out. I honestly believe mine sat in a pile and when they got to mine it changed the “as of” date on my return and they started going thru my paperwork and then updated. Are you going to wait it out another week or try to call the advocate supervisor?

Jun-24

@Jalisa: Hopefully within the week if they are working on it now. I went into audit the end of January and I sent in all my info on the kids the middle of February, but sit for awhile on a March date, then June my as of date changed and got my refund the last part of June. Since you’ve been told that you’re refund is approved then hopefully they will just kick you on through. With you talking to the exams dept. and not just the standard reps, who will give you a standard message since they can’t see anymore on your transcripts than you can, I’m hoping they look thru your info and lift that 420.

16. Staci B.

@Sheila_33: hi my codes have remained the same since early feb. i got code 810- feb 19, 2018
    811-feb. 19, 2018
    971 feb, 19, 2018
    420 feb. 02, 2018
    846 feb. 22, 2018 (for partial refund, only federal withholding . My as of date is still April 02, 2018. My tax account, not to be confused with account transcripts) has changed from no info available to “zero balance” for tax yr. 2017 which up until this I was told I would I had a tax balance of $1500.

17. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Sheila_33: Also i ordered transcripts last week I should be getting it tomorrow or Monday I did have a 420 on my last transcript but I should see more on this transcript im mad because i was told to disregard the letter because of my ddd I could have done this the day i got the letter im so pissed

18. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Sheila_33: yes girl i talk to exams earlier and i had to send proof of my dependents which i did fax it over at 5:45 pm today my refund is approved and adjusted already so how long will it take just to approve my documents for dependents

Jun-24

@Staci B.: You’re welcome. If that advocate is working for you, you should see something soon. What codes do you have on your transcript? Anything besides the 420, like a freeze code of 810? Any other 971’s, letter sent codes?

Jun-24

@Jalisa: Check the wmr in the morning and see if it has some type of topic at the bottom. If they weren’t able to deposit you should see a topic reference. Also, when I went back and read your comments I saw you ended up with the 420 exam code and you said you never received the cp75 request for proof of dependents and then you updated to a refund approved on wmr, have you seen your transcripts in between that time to see if you got the 421 exam finished code? Sometimes when they do an audit of your dependents they will release any amount of the refund that is due you that has nothing to do with the earned income credit or additional child tax credit. If you haven’t received your refund by next week, those transcripts might give you some insight on what is going on.

21. Staci B.

@Sheila_33: thanks, I was thinking the samething…. sad because I didn’t even ask for an advocate, when i was speaking with an IRS represenative he said he was going to do a referral for me because in his words, my return has not been updating and from his end he think it should be done by now…… I just hate the not knowing, no one wants to give information, and I know most agents know what’s going on…I hope and pray that those still waiting update soon, after this tax season I will never complain about waiting 6 weeks on a refund again!! compared to this yr. 6 wks will be considered a quick refund,,,lol,,,,, thanks for the advice.

22. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Sheila_33: No but I ordered my transcript last Saturday so im waiting for it to come it should be here tomorrow or Monday but why would they give me a ddd then wmar just updated to adjusted today the irs told me my refund was deposited but the treasury say they don’t have nothing for me so im just waiting ig if it go a whole week then i will keep a eye out for anything but wmar updated today to adjusted 7/13 wmr has 3 Orange bars that say my money was deposited I confirmed my account number and routing with the irs and the treasury its a waiting game i was wondering if i had to wait for wmar to go to 3 bars sense its a amended return for me to get a deposit i have no offsets my account is active its a waiting game Sheila

Jun-24

@Jalisa: Are you able to view transcripts at all? The reason why I ask is, I’m wondering if there has been any codes added that would show a check had been sent. If you’re information is correct on your bank routing and account number then it sounds like something else is going on. And you’re called the treasury and they are saying “no money sent”? When you get that 846 on your transcript that automatically means it has been kicked out to the treasury for disbursement so I just can’t understand what is going on. Did you have to pay for the fees for processing out of your refund? If you did, have you contacted the bank that processed those fees?

Jun-24

@staci b.: If I was in your situation and you know the audit is done, I would call the taxpayer advocate supervisor. Sounds like they are not trying to speed the process up, just going in sequence. A couple of people on here earlier in the year got more answers and quicker results from the supervisor after they had been given the run around by their advocates.

25. staci b.

@Sheila_33: no updates thus far and my assigned TA has yet to call. Im positve my audit was done 3weeks ago but no letter stating this and irs agents will not give me a sraight answer.School starts here in ga. First week of August and i need money to buy school supplies ,uniforms etc.

26. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@staci b.: right I been here since January i had to amend in April here it is july ddd 7/11 no money the treasury keeps telling me they don’t have it my bars are all orange my wmar just went to 2 bars im confused about everything right now

27. staci b.

@Jalisa: if ur like most im sure you have waited forever to get a ddd but then not recieve ur refund is cruel. Hopefully someone will be able tp help u with this. Its simply not right.

28. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Sheila_33: i dont even have my refund my ddd was 7/11 its 7/13 I don’t owe any debts my direct deposit info is accurate idk what’s going on

Jun-24

Hoping to see some transcript changes this morning. Fingers crossed.

30. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

Is it possible to give a ddd but not get a dd I mean the treasury says they haven’t got a payment but the irs says it was sent to my account yesterday im lost and being told to call all these numbers smh

31. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@None i dont owe any debt I still don’t have my refund my ddd was for 7/11 its 7/12 no money

32. None

@Jalisa: Is it a possibility you owe debt if you do it will update on Saturday and will tell you if the money was actually deposited.

33. NoTax$inSC

I finally got a DDD today for July 13th. Plus about $100 intrest.

I filed late January. Married Joint. 2 dependent children.
    I had 1 w2 and my wife had 2 w2’s.
    Early February my transcripts had a 570 code dated March 5th. On March 5th I got a 4464c letter. Never got another letter. So 63rd day I called.

They put in a request to release funds.

I called back in June and they still had no answers other then I should receive a letter because my wages were off. On my side they weren’t.

I didnt receive the letter called back. They said they would put in another request but for a tax Advocate this time but I had to call back next week 1st week of July.
    Because they have an additional 60 days after the first request for release.

I called back July like they said and the rep said it looks like my wifes employer on sent one of her w2’s and they had just received the other one from where she switched to a different store last year.

They went ahead this past Monday and put in a request for a tax Advocate and said I should hear from them in 5 business days.

I haven’t got the call from the Advocate yet. I checked my WMR today and finally my bars were back. 2 bars and DDD.

I hope anyone else still waiting gets answers soon. It’s been the worst tax year for me ever.

34. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

I have a ddd for today through netspend but no money called the treasury and i was told no money was posted today how is that even possible smh

35. Jalisa

36. Nicole

@Nika911: I believe just the fact that so much time has passed qualifies as a “hardship”. I didn’t have one, just said I did, no questions asked about what it was or anything.

37. Nicole

@AJC: I got a TA the last week of April. Faxed a 1040x to him mid May. early June he was like “oh damn, you need to overnight the original 1040x to me so I can submit that too, they will not accept this faxed copy only”. As of last week, my return had been adjusted per my 1040x (lowered) and my return is now sitting in the exams dept this week waiting on someone to get assigned to it so my TA can work with them to “get it expedited”. Its been a comedy of errors by the TA and IRS. I am hoping I see it by the end of the month.

38. Nika911

@AJC: I wish I knew. I do want say congrats in getting a Ta that actually calls u bak. Look like u got a hold to someone actually clocking in and doing they job. Congrats hope u receive uR money soon. I am a waiter as well lol been waiting since Jan 24th. Thought of getting a ta but now I may because I just lost my job 2days ago 15 doll hour job. Guess that’ll b hardship in a while if I don’t find something asap. And being a teacher don’t help right now SMH the irs n the way. Good luck tho and there are a few people up here who’s been helping me greatly. They will reply as soon as they pop up here for sure and help u out with any question

39. AJC

have a question for ppl with a TA, how soon did you see your money after your tax advocate expedited your 1040 or 1040x form? I had to amend mines. I filed 2/2 received a letter in the mail 3/6 in reference to being under a 60 day review and that I should hear something no later than 4/27/18. In may I called for a ta because of hardship— I got one assigned and spoke to him 5/25x he told me if I get everything into his off by 7/2 & I could see my return by 7/13. I sent a sign copy of my 1040x form to the IRS 5/31.. and I faxed a copy to him from my email on 6/28 since I had to pay turbo tax to get access to my returns, he called me back on 7/8 stating he received it but it wasn’t sign so I faxed another copy yesterday morning. I’m just curious on the turn around time to see your money once they expedite your 1040x

40. AJC

I have a question or ppl with tax advocates how soon did you see your money after your tax advocate expedited your 1040 or 1040x form? I had to amend mines.

41. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Nicole: yea keep in eye on the 420 and as of date i was questioning that as well until I saw my ddd for 7/11 I thought i was going to be here til Christmas

42. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Nicole: Thats good i had a 4/20 as of 5/18/2018 and now i have a ddd of 7/11 i say 2 more cycles for you it’s being processed

43. Nicole

Got my transcript in the mail yesterday. 420 as of 6/1, the adjustment letter shows on 7/2 and my as of date changed from 5/21 to 7/9. My TA mentioned that the exam department is helping process returns since they are so behind and my file is supposed to be assigned to someone this week so I guess that makes sense?

My 7/2 letter said my adjustment was made and my refund would come in 2-3 weeks though so who knows at this point.

44. Jujubean

Hey can someone help. I sent in my 104x and my husbands because we filed separate in 2015. We sent both off together on May 11,2018. And my return is the only one showing information on wmar website. What should I do

Jun-24

@Jalisa: That makes a lot of sense. My as of date changed and a week later I got my refund date. I honestly think if there are no hiccups and it doesn’t hold at that date, you’re going to see progress.

Jun-24

@Staci B.: I know they are going in order with audits unless you have an advocate to speed it up and hopefully you have one that will do that for you . The change on your tax transcript is a positive sign I believe so I’m hoping your advocate has things processing quickly and you’ve jumped to the front of the audit line. Lets hope this week brings an end to this tax year for you. I have never seen it so bad. This year has been miserable for so many.

47. Jalisa
    • TC 420, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Weekly

If you had a CP05 letter and your as of day on the amount change that’s the day it went to the examiners for processing i just learned this mine had 420 as of May 18 2018 8,***
    It was processed that took 7 weeks after amending

48. Madinjay

@HotRod80: May 24th.. I know I didn’t wait as long as some of you but hopefully it shows some progress

49. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@Staci B.: So sorry you are going through that- they say they are understaffed…no excuse at this point- and you get a different story every time you call- one thing stays the same…the wait. Wish you luck & fingers crossed you have your refund VERY soon!

50. Nika911

It’s all ridiculous…. I been waiting since Jan 24th. The IRS. Don’t care period. I an not getting a ta because there are other elk are experiencing hardship but it’s still MY MONEY they took it from me thru out the year and don’t want give it back. And nobody can do anything about it.

51. Staci B.

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: hi, I have been going through an audit since early Feb, I spoke with an agent on last week to see if he could give me some info as to what is taking so long. I told him that I know the audit is over because i can finally view my account which tells if you owe any taxes for 2017, before 2 weeks ago It stated it was unavailable. The agent put a referral in, to have someone contact me in the next week this coming Mon or Tues. he asked if I have any hardships and I told him yes, so he said hopefully this will get my case closed out and get refund issued. Its sad but i’ve waited so long and now no one will take the time to issue my refund.

52. Staci B.

@Sheila_33: hi, i went into audit in late feb. sent verification documents in first week in March. and followed up with more documents mid. March, all together i sent in birth certificates, school,immunization records, proof of residency, and receipts…groceries, household repairs, mortgage and property taxes. My grandkids have lived with me since birth they are 2 and 7. I sent in way over 100 sheets. I know my taxes are done because until about 2 weeks ago, I couldnt view my account but could view my tax transcripts.( my account, kept saying, taxes for yr. 2017 are not complete) now it states I owe zero taxes for 2017. a referral was put in last week to get things going . so hopefully I will update next week.

53. Jalisa

My story ppl i filed and accepted 1/24
    I id verified 2/21 still nothing i got a CP05 dated 3/12 then 4464C dated 3/19 i amended and was accepted 4/16
    I was told i was being audited for dependents and to expect a letter 6/25 it never came I gave up wasn’t excited about Saturdays but then today I checked and there is my second orange bar with the date of 7/11 no tax advocate just waited and gave up good luck ppl it’s been a long road but it’s coming I promise you dont let the irs agents lie and upset you

54. Past9weeksandsum

Woke up with DDD 7/11 I’m so happy. I had to call and speak with someone in the taxpayer assistance department last week and authenticate again. She closed it out over the phone. You have to call and stay on them it will not update by just waiting alone. Good luck to you all

55. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

So I spoke with one of the supervisors yesterday…after extensive checking she confirmed that my return simply has not been processed…and now has sent my info to an advocate that is supposed to contact me & they will supposedly be able to put some fire under whoever has my account to process it because for as long as it has been they consider it a ‘hardship’ whether or not I have been effected financially…has anyone ever heard of this or gone through this? Have any idea of what sort of timeline I should expect now?? I am at a loss for words & quite frankly very po’d. Sitting here waiting in Vermont not so patiently anymore :(

Jun-24

@Staci B.: What date did you go under audit and what day did you send your paperwork in? Was really hoping you would see that “as of ” date change.

57. beautifult
      BOA
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Madinjay: did your transcript change any

58. Madinjay

So my DD hit at like 7 this evening. And nothing ever changed on the website… It was saying still processing so there’s hope… #finally

59. Babbs

Filed Aptil 12, owed $1800no refund yet
    Under review??? What the heck is going on? Its July!!

60. Mr.Bel

I just can’t believe this I am still waiting for my refund. I filed 2/25/18, received letter 4884c, did verify it was clear. Then received letter 4664c told to wait again. Today 7/6. No date no refund. Can’t get thr irs on the phone. I don’t thimk this is fair to anyone.

61. Staci B.

@Sheila_33: hi so far there’s no changes on my transcript, but i’ll check again around 10pm est.

62. Coley

If you have a ddd and are expecting an offset http://www.sbtpg.com is an amazing resource. It’s the bank that your refund gets set to to distribute your refund to you and the entity you owe. I had a ddd for yesterday and woke up to nothing, After hours on the phone i was given this website. I put in my info and the my refund was there and sent. Gave me peace of mind and I woke up this morning with it in my account!

@HOPELIVESHERE: Awesome!!!!!!! Congratulations!

64. HOPELIVESHERE

@Sheila_33: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssss 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞

Jun-24

Good morning everyone….any transcript changes this morning?

66. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

And still I wait…I don’t dare call again because I am convinced calling flags you & they put you “to the back of the line” on purpose…ugh…it’ll be January again it seems…