When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Aggravated

@Grrr: yes but original retyrn amount will still be deposited…. refund on amended amount is paper check

2. Aggravated

DDD finally of today……. wake up, not showing up.. called bank, nothing pending…… holiday??????

Jun-24

@Staci B.: Sounds like it is moving, any change is good at this point. Possibly Friday there will be a change in your transcripts. Hoping you either see that “as of” date change forward or would be even better if that freeze is off and you have an 846 code. Fingers crossed tightly you see that change Friday. I’ll be watching, let me know.

4. Nicole

sooo my tax advocate called today to say my return was in the exam department as of Friday and he had to wait a week for it to get assigned to someone to work it and that he didn’t expect anything until our next call on the 20th.

Today however I got a CP21B in the mail stating my return had been adjusted per my amendment and if I agreed, not to do anything because a check would be sent in 2-3 weeks.

So now I am lost as to where exactly it is in the process

5. Akgirl

Finally after being screwed around with since January I finally have a direct deposit day of July 9th. I got a tax advocate what a joke never ever and I mean ever called me back. I have learned a very important lesson this year I will never again file early. Best of luck to all of you

6. Staci B.

@Sheila_33: hi, I called irs on monday, to find out if there was any new info on my audit, I haven’t recieved a letter or anything but up until a few days ago, when I would check my tax account it would say that it wasn’t available because my information has not been completed. now it says that I owe 0 for 2017 tax yr. which in my logic means my taxes has to be complete. When I called irs. i was asked if i have inccured any hardships which I stated “yes” I was sthen asked if I would like them to put in a referral for someone to call me to let me know the latest on my case. I was told by a letter at the beginning of my audit that If things were not found in my favor that I would owe 1500 dollars, but now since I owe zero, I think its safe to say that I should be getting my refund? what are your thoughts on this, I’m so tired of waiting on my rightfully deserved refund

Jun-24

@jujubean: that is the date your return started processing, 2018 year, 26 is the irs tax week and 05 is the day of the irs tax week that your return is looked at which is a Thursday.

8. jujubean

hey I just looked on my account transcript to see if my amended return was complete and it was but wmar never reflected but what date is cycle 20182605

9. Jujubean

Should I get a tax advocate if I need my amended return processed for school it’s been 8 was

10. Opal214

Last Monday I called to check on return filed with Injured Spouse on 4/14, I was told it was being processed and to call back again today. Today I called back and told my case was closed 6/27 and to expect deposit in 2-4 weeks.

For some reason I just can’t seem to get transcripts to work (something about my browser). For those who are in similiat positions, does the 2-4 week timeline actually happen? Is it faster? Slower?

11. Stillwaitinghere

When is the last time anyone updated it’s like irs forgot about us and stopped processing

12. 2112

Thirteen weeks and the status on Were is my Amended refund still only shows that it was received on 3/19 I know it says it can take up to 16 weeks but how do i know anything is being processed shouldn’t there be some further process showing ?????

13. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@Sheila_33: Yes, January 30th

14. suva

Please everybody calm down. You should be happy you have not gotten your tax return yet, which means you still have money coming in. Otherwise it would be gone for some stupid sh.t for long time ago
    Stay positive

Jun-24

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: I’ve wondered that myself too. Like the phone calls trigger closer reviews. Hard to say with the IRS, they are such a sensitive bunch. Was really hoping you and others waiting would have had some sort of change this weekend. You filed after tax season opened didn’t you?

16. Madinjay

@Nika911: I got messed up this year because I never received my pin so I had to file a paper return. Sent the W2 and copy of my photo id just to be safe and now I’m going into week 6. But I’ve been where you all are a few years ago I didn’t get my money until almost August but if you owe the irs they will take their money in 2.5 seconds but when they owe you it drags!

17. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

@Sheila_33: I’d have to order transcripts…I’ve talked to them- there is nothing wrong, no review, nothing they need, just needs to be processed- there was a glitch this year I guess where some just got pulled for no reason & it’s assigned- person just needs to take the 5 mins to put it through…you’d think it’d be automated, not done manually…and this week is a holiday so we all know nothing will get done…so it’ll be at the very least mid July at this point…RIDICULOUS…I sometimes wonder if you purposely get stalled once you’ve called in a few times…

18. Kelly Mellingen

Has anyone ever had the WMR say you have a deposit of this amount being sent to your account on DD and not received it?

I swear I am having the worst tax year ever, in April my husband almost died due to complications during surgery and he missed a lot of work, I got a tax advocate hoping to move things along as we have now been evicted and have no utilities, I thought this worked as I got an update on WMR saying we were getting our refund 6/27 except it said the full amount and I was confused. I sent my injured spouse form in with my taxes and I have called several times to the IRS and they always mention the injured spouse and how it’s 11 weeks blah blah blah, so I know that the IRS knows the form is there as well.

Okay because I was confused as to why we are getting the full amount when I know my husband has a debt, I called the IRS 3 separate times and asked are you sure I am getting the full amount? All 3 times I was told yes, so I did what they said and waited.

Today I called my bank and asked if they seen any pending deposits, they told me no and told me if the DD was 6/27 they should have seen it by now.

I call the IRS back again and the lady tells me she can see my injured spouse form and that it is done and closed but I’m not getting my half ( we also live in a CP state and I did have income) I asked why and she told me she would need to send me to the injured spouse department and they could explain it.

I sit on hold for another 35 mins and finally get a man on the phone that first tells me my injured spouse is still open, okay I then ask why does WMR say I am getting a refund on 6/27, he says oh wait we never got your injured spouse form, again I am like okay then why have I been told over several weeks that you have it, it is assigned and being worked on? He says let me put you on hold, comes back 20 mins later and says yep we never got your form I just talked to the person who was assigned your refund here in injured spouse and we never got it, so contact your advocate and hung up.

So now I wait as my advocate will not even call me back until July 20th. I am so frustrated as to why WMR says I am getting a refund when I am not! Has anyone ever gone through this before?

19. HOPELIVESHERE

My wish would be for all the Jan filers to update with ddds tomorrow… At this point i think my tax refund will come before i receive my exes… Still excited to find out 😁😁😁

20. Nika911

@The IRS Is.Really.Slow: I’m still here. Been told nothing is wrong just wait. Got a third letter 4463 c. Do nothing letter n wait. SMH

21. Nika911

@FingersCrossedinAZ: [email protected]: they are. His keeping it 100 wit u. Some of us been waiting since Jan. Welcome to the wait. Some of our transcripts haven’t updated since March. Everytime we. They tell us the same crap. Wait. There nothing for us to do. Get a ta. Or blah blah blah. But still waiting. SMH almost tax time again. Irs. Stalls that’s all. Good luck on this journey

22. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • 4464C Letter

No change to transcripts, been waiting since January. My as of date changed once a few weeks ago. A referral was put in back in April and I was told it was closed May 2nd. I was to do nothing but wait for a letter because my wages were off. I was instructed not to send an amended return. I couldn’t do that anyway because my wages are not off. We are almost in July and no letter no nothing. No audit codes, no letters sent except for 4464c back in March. This is just crazy. What is really going on? I am on hold now and my estimated wait time is 30 mins at the 800-829-0582 x652…..Really? What could the Lie R S possibly be doing, because they sure aren’t working on tax refunds….

Jun-24

@Jodi: If you can order or view online your transcripts, you might get an idea what’s going on.

Jun-24

@sarah: Call the U.S. Treasury, they might be able to tell you where your refund is.

25. Madinjay

@The IRS Is.Really.Slow: I’m in week 5 almost 6 when I called they said it just needs to process but all my info works. I hope they aren’t pulling my leg

26. sarah

I have not gotten my tax refund yet I checked with the tax office she saw online that the IRS refunded my money and they are saying my back lost the direct deposit on that . Io contacted the bank and they said we don’t hold any deposit check !! call the IRS it’s so hard to talk to someone . what should I do .

27. Jodi

Help….
    I filed our joint return on 4/10 e file along with the injured spouse form. That stupid wmr keeps saying still processing. I do call and sometimes have to wail over an hour on hold, which is impossible with a young child! I have fild the same way before and have never waited this long. Any suggestions?

28. The IRS Is.Really.Slow

@Update: I filed in January and my tran never did anything but showed my as of date changing forward and back for 8 weeks. Don’t be too concerned… however, if it’s been more than two cycles, I definitely think they are looking at something. Don’t hate on admin of this site. They haven’t been on here in months. They don’t sit on this site all year, this is for us, to talk and give each other advice.

29. The IRS Is.Really.Slow

Oh no. I was really hoping to not see any of my Jan friends in here. I’m really praying for you guys to get through this. My only advice, if you are going through an audit, there are some links under my name back in May from the IRS handbook about audit procedures, that may be of some help. I will see you guys next year.

Jun-24

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: For the life of me, I just don’t understand why there has been no movement for you. As far as a tax advocate goes, for some it works, for others not. I put off calling for an advocate because I did not quality. Thought I would wait it out. Sent all my paperwork in and waited. Decided to go ahead and get a TA, called and was pretty much put on the back burner, no calls back and when I called I had to leave messages. I gave up after a month and just figured it would come when it came. I had sent everything they requested and knew I shouldn’t be having issues. Finally got a date for deposit 5 months after I filed. I know they have all your information from last year so I can’t understand what more they want from you. Are you able to see your transcripts at all?

Jun-24

@Update: Its possible they are still waiting on a response to the insurance issue.

32. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

@KMurph: TA’s don’t really help- last year I was one of the lucky ones to get pulled for review and they did nothing to help. I have asked- not under review, nor need to amend-

33. Update

Do it donate anything to this site it’s a scam. Send me email for proof. I’ve been donating for 4 years just to be cursed after asking my first question ever.

34. Update

Hi I filed mid March..was told I needed to prove I had insurance or they would just adjust around mid April I got that letter. I decided not to prove I had insurance thinking that would speed up the process since they claimed that would take 4-6 weeks. We are now 4-6 weeks later and still nothing. I ordered return and account transcripts on the first of the month they both came back as no return filed. Ordered them again on the 14th because my wmr updated to add the tax topic 152 and that’s it. Never received any audits or notices. The next time the return transcripts still said no return filed. But this time the account transcripts had the usual input but everything had zeros except the as of date which had June 25th ..my ss# was there but no amounts and down at the bottom it said no return filed. The previous letter both just had no return filed. Any idea what’s going on?

35. KMurph

@Jujubean: With a TA, it is much faster. Usually 16 weeks to process after received. Or at least that’s what they say. IRS received mine 5/25. I received refund 6/27, with TA.

36. KMurph

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: My apologies if this question is redundant, but have you reached out to a TA? Did anyone tell you that you may have to amend?

37. KMurph

Finally received my refund guys. 6/27 @ 3:47 am. 🙌🏾 It’s been the most uncomfortable, uncertain journey. Glad it’s over. I’ll be checking periodically to check the rest of you guys’ progress. God speed.

38. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

…And still waiting…surprise, surprise. Unexceptable- except we are forced to except it. Just wrong.

39. Jujubean

Hey does anyone know how long the Irs takes to process amended returns during off tax season

40. Nika911

Y is this issue not on the the world news. This is tragic as well shooot. Where’s wavy 10 news at. I’m in VA jus n case some don’t have wavy 10 I believe we all do tho. I say we all contact wavy 10. They normally get up in folks faces and get things done.. I r s protest. If folks can protest the white house why we can’t protest a global protest against the irs. Jus a thought. WE WANT OUR MONEY BEt THEY GOT THEIRS
    Wakn n bakn u get to thinknnnn. Haggai jus sayin

41. Nika911

Cp05 dated Mar 12
    As of date Mar 12
    Filed Jan 24tg
    Pathetic pather so really started I guess Feb 15 let the it’s tell it
    Rep once told me 1 thing ending with wait 60 days
    Another rep tole me another thing
    Still no update
    Got do nothing more letter again the other day. Just sick of it. Not calln again.
    Just gunna get wait another 60 days
    Ta nahhhhhhh. Been that route they got wait toooo. This is really rediculous

42. Shanice

@Waiting Impatienly: thank you the rep didn’t explain much just that the referral ya supposed to help get things going

43. Waiting Impatienly

@Shanice: My CP05 was dated march 26, I waited the 60 days and I called and they put in a referral May 29. They will tell you to wait 60 more days, because that’s their caned answer and actually the rep told me it’s not going to be that long, it takes 2-3 weeks if approved. Mine took 2 weeks I encorauge everyone to call right after the 60 days wait.

44. Shanice

I’m still here filed and accepted 1/29 … 4464c letter March 9 have heard nothing since no movement at all.. called today and they guy apologized that no one had put in a referral for me by now !! Has anyone had a referral put in and do you know how long the process is from there ???

45. Nika911

@Muffin803: everybody getting told the exact same thing just on different calls. I SEE it. Who else see it. How’s everybody under thorough review if the live reps aren’t the ones manually handling returns smh

46. Magnus35

Hello just wanted to update. I don’t normally post on this forum but I do tend to lurk in the shadows to see if I can gain any knowledge from what’s going on with everyone else. So I filed January with H&R Block (I have done my own taxes using Turbo Tax since I was 20) and it was accepted almost right away. About a week later my bars disappeared and I got the dreaded still being processed message. Towards the end of February I received a 4464 c letter in the mail. I called a little before the 60-day waiting period was up and was told nothing besides the fact that I would have to wait until the 60 days is up for them to tell me anything. After the 60 days was up I called the IRS once again and was told that the department that was handling my refund needed more time, they took my number down, and said that it would be another 60 days. At this point I had considered a tax advocate but had dragged my feet about it a bit. Two weeks ago I finally called the tax advocate number and was asked by my local branch to fax over my last paycheck stub from 2017 as my employer, which happens to be one of the largest companies in Nevada, had not submitted the W2 to the IRS that I had claimed on my return. Imagine my frustration in the fact that I had not been told that the second time I called the IRS. I faxed that in to the tax advocate on June 14th and this morning finally received a deposit date of June 28th. So glad that this is finally resolved, never had a tax year this stressful and ridiculous, and I’m hoping for resolutions for all of you still waiting as quickly as possible. I know this year has been kind of outrageous with the amount of problems for so many people.

47. Nika911

@Muffin803: runaround Been waiting since Jan 24th. I got dozen stories. Don’t do nothing await 60 days. SMH still waiting too. Stall tactics that’s all just s don’t keep callim. Everytime we CAll we get.. Wait another 60 days ur being reviewed.. If everybody getting reviewed that’s bsht. Excuse my french

Jun-24

@DamianB: Are you showing any codes on your transcripts?

Jun-24

@DamianB: You can either call a local TA in your state or call the national TA number that is listed in the phone numbers at this site. You have been processing so long you should be eligible for one. In the early stages of the tax year, you have to prove a hardship but later in the year that rule relaxes especially with the length of time processing.

50. Waiting impatiently

@Muffin803: Did you check your transcripts? Look for code 846. If you don’t have it maybe you need to ask for a second referral. Mine took less than two weeks to update.

51. Nicole

@DamianB: I faxed form 911 over. Said I was facing some medical expenses. Never asked for proof. I highly recommend getting one at this stage.

52. KMurph

@DamianB: If you have a hardship of any kind. Cut off notice for utilities, eviction, car in repo. I also read somewhere that, if the IRS is taking too long, one might qualify as well. Go to the IRS website. It will prompt you to put in your city to find the closest one to you.

53. Nicole

Had my bi-weekly call with my TA on Friday. He said my return was currently in the exam department and he was requesting that it be expedited because “they have had made so many errors in handling my return and it should have been processed months ago”.

So heres to hopefully getting a check date on July 3rd when he calls next.

54. Muffin803

Question. I filed back in January. I was put on 60 day. Called may 23rd, well after 60 days, and they put in a referral. I called back and was told it was closed and released on June 5th. I have called back two different times after that one and got different stories. My story today was that it was closed and released, but I don’t have a date yet, to wait 60 days from the referral date of 5/23. Are they giving me the run around, or should it be coming soon?

55. DamianB

Can someone tell me how to find a TA? How do you know you qualify? I am so tire of waiting. My transcript shows my account has not been touched since 04/02

56. Nika911

@Sheila_33: facts. It moved a couple times but stopped at March 12. It’s crazy this year

Jun-24

@Nika911: You’re one of the ones I have been following because of your situation. I am hoping in the next transcript update you see some movement. Just need to see that “as of” date move. It’s sad because there is no valid excuse in your situation. You’re not being held up for an audit, so I’m just not understanding why these reviews are holding everybody up.

Jun-24

@8793: It is saying it was deposited or set to be deposited by a certain date? If it can’t be deposited they will automatically kick out a check to you. Also, if it shows deposited you may want to call the Treasury and they possibly give you some information.

59. Nika911

@Sheila_33: I just got a 4463 letter SMH this shot is too funny. Nothing left to do letter. I got the cpo5 letter March 12 . Then was told reviewing and havent updated since March 12. Been on. Your return is being processed since than and I filed jan24th. SMH the irs are clowns

60. 8793

Wmr says IRS deposited my check but they were suppose to mail it to me since the Bank account info was incorrect…. so what happens next there’s nothing in the back account

Jun-24

@KMurph: I don’t know if there is a way to avoid the issues they come up with. I have filed the same way, same children etc. for the last 6 years. This year is the first year I filed self employment and I saw a few more on here that were reviewed and even audited after filing self employment. When your return gets accepted it goes thru the first stage of checking information and if there are any red flags it will kick it out to be reviewed further. I don’t even think they pick up on differences in income until later since I went into audit before the end of January deadline for W2’s to be turned in by employers. I think this year they are just looking closer at exemptions you claim. And I believe this year the February 15th hold really put things into a slow pace.

62. Waiting impatiently

@KMurph: This is the first time IRS holds my refund, the only thing I can think is I’ll file late next year. I notice most of early filers were selected for review.

63. KMurph

Thank you StaciB, thisisbs, and Sheila33!!! It’s been such a chaotic journey, but I’m glad that I had a place like this to vent!!! I’m trying to figure out ways to AVOID this next year!! Any suggestions?!