When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. HOPELIVESHERE

@Update: I’m extremely positive my comment was meant to induce laughter 🤣🤣 I will live bcuz its all extra money that will go to a great cause: my children!!! I have said also I hope im last to get my refund so for those who need it get it fast😁😁😁💛💛💛

2. beautifult
      BOA
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@KMurph: lol I’m expecting it. I wouldn’t put it pass them

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

Well, at least my “as of” date has changed again. Hopefully it stays put and doesn’t go back to the March date again.

4. Update

@HOPELIVESHERE: Hey let’s collectively smile physically and cheer up spiritually. Send out our positive vibes. Don’t let this get you down, you’ll live. And take note of how we are treated when it’s time to vote. I pray everyone update soon. Goodspeed.

5. HOPELIVESHERE

No one updated? I guess were all still in the naughty corner 🤣🤣🤣🤣

6. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Still here! Now when I go to WMR and states no record of return which is crazy.

7. Melinda

I really need some help , I filed my taxes in March was audited submitted forms may4th through a taxpayer advocate called the irs today and they said I won’t receive my refund for another 8 weeks

8. Nicole

Just a note to let you guys know my refund is still being processed and a refund date will be provided when available. *eyyyyyyyerollllll*

9. beautifult
      BOA
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@KMurph: lol november

10. beautifult
      BOA
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: one year I had my refund so late. The agent told me he was approving my refund while I was on the phone because it’s crazy I was waiting so late. And a few days later my ddd had updated.

11. Dre

@mrs platt: u should receive the off set amount it took me 6wks 2get the amendment I received a letter after I received my check on the amount it never updated

12. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@Update: Just excuses…in this day & age there is NO excuse for it to be taking so long…Not a damn one

13. Nika911

@Blah_Blah: because I edited about three times. I see a pattern once we received already 2 letters saying to do nothing we call back in get told to wait another 60 days. No need to amend because there no errors

14. Update

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: that agent is a damn lie…the people answering phones are not processing refunds. That’s so stupid. They don’t have enough employees to process a hundred million refunds by hand. They don’t have enough people to process 30,000 refunds by hand. I’m really starting to believe that the IRS agents are just making things up.

15. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

I was told by the woman I spoke to that the reason so many refunds are so late is the same people answering the phones are the ones processing & they’ve been to busy answering phones…I said I am sure because a lot of people are understandably upset because it is inexcuseable for people to still be waiting -esp when not under any type of review-have sent in anything they need to for ID verification…she said for people to get used to it that this will be the norm for years to come, the days of getting refunds quickly are over.
    I’m not even asking for it ‘quickly’ but timely would be nice.

16. Jluv

Hi, I filed at the end of January had an id verify in February then in March 60 day review . Called may 20th for a referral. I called today she said that there was something off with income, I will either receive my money or get a letter ? I’m confused by this. I looked over my w2 and my taxes . Everything matches up

17. Nia
      Alabama
      Green Dot

Good evening, I finally have my transcript but I need some help i identifying what I’m looking at. Cycle is 20181105 date: 4-2-18… But this is June🤔
    I have a code 150, 806, 766, 768,
    570- which has the date of 4/2 with $0.00. but the other codes have. 4/15 dates.

I ordered these June 4. They also submitted a referral that day too

18. ROLL TIDE

I have a code 150, 806, 766, 768,

I ordered these June 4. They also submitted a referral that day too

19. wes302

filed 1-18
    got 4464c letter bla bla
    was told yesterday another letter was sent out. guess I have to do some leg work now. bulls*it

20. Update

@Just curious: that takes months I have an offset just about every year and it always takes Louisiana almost 3 months to send it to them. Very slow process.

21. nika911

@Ynvro: at this point it doesn’t even matter .. folks still in here waiting from january and our cycle codes doesn’t matter because we all are way passed our time frames for refunds and there’s nothing wrong with our return .. many of us are already processed and just waiting a release. good luck on the wait.

22. Just curious

Just a quick question. I got my refund on the 31st of may. I did have an offset for child support. How do I find out when they send the offset to the place that is receiving it. In this case my child support office?

23. mrs platt

@Dre: my ta had me to amend .i got my oringnal refund .am i getting the amended refund.so i can owe the irs next year

24. Waiting impatiently

I am still here too my as of date changed to June 11, but it does not mean anything right ?

25. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

I just submitted my whole life to the audit department… all 120 pages

26. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

I’m still here lol

27. Rina

So I called last Thursday and learned my review was complete on May 25th and funds were released on May 30th. However I’ve checked WMR daily and no information. My transcripts haven’t even updated to show anything except the 420. What should I do/think?

28. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

“Still Processing” last phone call (a month ago) I was told they had 14 days left of the 60 days& I should have my refund no later than June 11, 2018-now they are saying…’up to another 60 days’ no reason for it, not under review-nothing…I am ready to both cry & scream…last year I did not receive mt refund until January of 2018, they never even looked at it until December 2017…to say this is beyond ridiculous is an understatement…angry in VT

29. HOPELIVESHERE

@Stillwaiting on 2017 tax return: Sorry but there are too many depends on what he filed, depends on what he was flagged for etc

30. Stillwaiting on 2017 tax return

@HOPELIVESHERE: do you no what kind of letter my son could be getting from irs treasury department

31. HOPELIVESHERE

Still here… Still nothing on transcripts..
    Still excited to see what comes 1st tax refund or exes taxes for cs arrears…😁😁😁

32. Nicole

Still here. My TA called this morning to say my adjustment was complete so now hes just waiting on them to release. He said that should happen by the 22nd but anything could happen between now and then.

33. msmak30
      Michigan
      Netspend
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Still here and pissed

34. beautifult
      BOA
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Still here as well. No change

35. KMurph

I’m still here as well. I’ll be here until I receive my money. Updates or not. Lol. Can’t really even depend on the updates we have been getting! IRS and TA’s can never seem to agree on dates/deadlines.

36. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • 4464C Letter

I’m still here with no updates. There must be only 4 of us left now….lol

37. IhatetheIRS30

Well it’s my birthday and still no money 😢 aww well I’m over this mess.

38. Nika911

@Nicole: thank you. I understand the wait and there are some experiencing hardship and need a ta before I do plus this wait is all on the irs this year.

39. Nicole

@JustCurious: she may not feel like she is eligible for one because there is no hardship. I was tentative for a long time to get one because I didn’t have one. It didn’t matter in the end though, they never asked.

40. IhatetheIRS30

Still no refund, no update, referral was put in last week. No letter mailed, no nothing. Smh

41. JustCurious

@Nika911: girl, I’m not being funny or sarcastic or anything but I think you know that something is horribly wrong with your tax return which is why you aren’t calling && won’t get a TA…your case is very weird…🤷🏾‍♀️

42. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve

“still processing”…tick tock…so ridiculous it’s insane…Year #2 I’ve had to wait- if it’s like last year (got my refund in January 2018) I’ll scream…I’m not even under review this year for crying out loud…its just sitting in a pile, somewhere…

43. Christie

I already got me refund but I ordered my transcripts by mail before that and got them after my refund in the mail. Why would they notate a letter for a future date (in this case 06/11). I found that really odd.

44. Nika911

No change on my transcripts smh Jan 24th. – to now. This is crazy…20180506 still awaiting. And now when u call the hotline it takes you all the way to u entering your SSN then it saying there currently closed. Smh n the way

45. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@KMurphy: my amended for 2016 was received on 4/16. I checked my transcript today and have 846 refund date of 6/15. Still no word on my amended 2017 but were sent same time.

46. NoTax$inSC

Update for the day. Still not good news.
    Filed late January.
    Checked transcripts in Early Feb. had a 570 hold code dated 5/3
    Received a 4464c letter on 5/3 60 day review.
    Called on the 63rd day. Agent said everything looked fine they would put in a request to release funds.

Called back 2 weeks later to see where we were at. She said it could take additional 60 day and she seen that my wages were off or needed verification.

Called back today and they actually sent me to department that does the reviews. I was told they needed income verification and I should receive a letter by June 27th.

While the lady just before that during the same call said it looked like they havent even reviewed my taxes yet.

47. KMurphy

WMAR finally shows some bars. Amended shows received on 5/25. Any idea when I will get refund? Will it be check or DD as originally selected?

48. Dre

Oh yeah never updated on wma or wmr check was just n the mail advocate call 2day and said amendment approved on 6-4 give time 4postal 2receive got home from work 2day check n mail ALL DONE!

49. Dre

Filed 1-29
    Accept 1-29
    Called feb 27
    Got 8447 letter
    3-16 Called advocate
    4-1 was told that I had 2amend
    4-13 faxed
    5-9 refund
    6-7 amended check

50. Nicole

arrrgh. My TA called to tell me today that he had hoped to have my return adjusted by today but apparently he had issues with the department that does that part and had to escalate it to a manager. They are supposedly going to start on it today and by our next scheduled call, June 22, I should have a check date/amount.

Here’s to a July refund.

51. wes302

filed 1-18
    4464c letter, waited 60 days still nothing
    got referral on 62nd day may 3
    60 more days are up the end of this month.
    tired of waiting.

52. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Nia: I am still here no letters not updates etc. My TA is not responsive at all. I am going to wait for the update tomorrow before I call her Supervisor.

53. Waiting impatienly

@Nia: I read the referral if approved takes 3-4 weeks, if no letters to call back and ask for another referral, but people is saying they got a second review or letters asking for income prove, and some of them are getting refunds even if were told will be audited. My referral was put in May 29th it’s just a week ago

54. Nia
      Alabama
      Green Dot

Well it’s Almost my Birthday, and I’m STILL walking up every morning checking WMR 😞. I filled in February, and received a letter in March then my 45 were up, then I called and she told me to way 60 days, then I did called back in 67 days, then was told that they had to put a referral in and it would be another 60 days 😞🤦. Does it REALLY take 60 days? This is ridiculous! It’s been 15 days since that has happened. So what should I expect?

55. Prettyblack

@Johndeere2006: I am still waiting to I really need it, and hopefully tomorrow is the big day for us both mine was mailed Monday as well. And it’s coming from Austin so maybe tomorrow, but definitely by Friday.

56. Johndeere2006

@Prettyblack: mine should be coming from KC. Didn’t come today. Hopefully tomorrow. Was mailed on Monday

57. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Nicole: right

58. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Prettyladyte: happy for you. I hope I at least get mine before August before my daughter go back to college