When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

Update: I got my refund last night at 9:06 p.m thanks a lot everyone who has answered any questions I pray the rest of you all waiting receive some good news sooner than later. God bless you all!

2. Prettyblack

And I researched where they come from it could be Kansas or Austin or even Pennsylvania. Mine is coming from Austin I hope yours is coming from Kansas. Praying we get them today just in time for summer.🙌🙌🙏🙏

3. Irsblues
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Irsblues: I’m still here I’ll get mine before Christmas

4. Johndeere2006

@Prettyblack: hopefully. I’m 2 hrs away from Kansas City. Should get mine tomorrow for the 2016 amended. It was issued/mailed out Monday the 4th

5. Irsblues
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@KMurph: It might show up this friday

6. Damo

Accepted on 1/19/18 and still nothing as of date May 7th 2018 so what’s really going on

7. KMurph

I called and spoke to my TA. Finally looks like I am getting somewhere. She stated that the IRS has received my amended, and she gave until June 8 for it to be worked. She said I should hear something by June 26th, but hopefully earlier. Nothing has changed in WMAR or WMR.

8. Prettyblack

@Johndeere2006: I am waiting for mine too I think from Kansas City or Austin is where they come from.

9. Johndeere2006

Where are the refund checks mailed from. Is it the processing unit that’s for your area that you mailed the amended return to or what

10. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • 4464C Letter

Just called and spoke to another rep. Referral was put in April 23rd and closed May 2nd. Still no refund. I called about 2 weeks ago and was told my wages were off so they are either going to issue my refund and have me amend later OR send me a notice. They have until June 22 (60 days from referral) to request information or tell me to do nothing. If referral was closed on May 2nd why do I need to wait until June 22nd? All I can do is laugh at this point….lol

11. Hugo.perez

So i called thw irs this morning and they said that my income didn’t match what they had on file. So they put in a referral to process my refund like that. What happens now?

12. Irsblues
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Johndeere2006: I filed an amended 1040x this year too. It was received on 4/16. I called last Tuesday and it said it was adjusted. Didn’t get a check date though,

13. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Tax Topic 152, Tax Refund Offset, Injured Spouse

If can’t view transcripts download a fax app my fax is free for a month ask the to send you a copy of your account script and before call is over you will have a copy of your transcripts mine now. Says 846 refund issued 06082018 cycle 20182205 date 06182018

14. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Tax Topic 152, Tax Refund Offset, Injured Spouse

Well callled today and they said 8th check will be mailed 50 bucks in interst thought it was more then that but looks like end is near

15. Johndeere2006

@Irsblues: I filed a 2016 1040x and they received it 4-2-18 and my check is being mailed out tomorrow. 9weeks in total. Filed 2015 1040x about 3 weeks later. So I expect it by the end of the month

16. Irsblues
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Moms4lifeo: I plan to call tomorrow my TA supervisor

17. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • 4464C Letter

@NoTax$inSC: I think you are right, they are stalling. After I had my referral put in I called back a few weeks later and was told that on May 2nd my referral was closed, wages were off and I would receive a letter. Here we are a month later and no letter. My transcripts do not show any letters sent either. The only thing that changed is my as of date is now June 18th but when I call The hotline it says credit to my account as of May 25th. The IRS is a hot mess. I’m calling tomorrow and asking for another referral. I have heard too many horror stories about TA’s and how some of them made it worse so I refuse to get one. Maybe I’ll get a better answer when I call Monday.

18. NoTax$inSC

@FingersCrossedinAZ: Same exact situation. Early Feb lost my bars on WMR.
    Early February I pulled my Transripts and had a 570 code dated 3-5-2018.

Got a 4464c letter on 3-5.
    Waited 63 days and called. I got the same response as you about the referral. Told it could take up to 60 more days.

Called back a few weeks later. This woman had me on hold and said it looks like my wages dont match.

I triple check before I file.
    So I pulled all my records out and all my w2 info matches what I put in.
    I feel like they are just stalling and making stuff up at this point.

19. Nika911

No change on my transcripts smh Jan 24th. – to now. This is crazy…20180506 still awaiting. And now when u call the hotline it takes you all the way to u entering your SSN then it saying there currently closed. Smh n the way

20. Moms4lifeo

@Irsblues: I had bothered them every day. Including my congress rep, TA, TA supervisor all the way up to the supervisor manger. I didn’t wait I was on them none stop. Not giving them a chance even know I still am missing 100 dollars butI really not going to fight it. Its finally over with only 6 months more before we get to start this all over.

21. Mom

@The1Exzavier: I had to amend because Jackson Hewitt didn’t put one of my w2 on my taxes.

22. beautifult
      BOA
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@PGJ: mine too. Nothing else yet though

23. Staci B.

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: hi, I filed late jan. and went into audit and was told not to expect anything before august, but for those of you who are not being audited or reviewed this is so wrong! I truly hope that you guys get your money soon, I’m not ok with such along wait however; at least I know why i’m waiting…. take care and wish you guys the best.

24. Miss Richie

I am so relieved for all others that are waiting please hang in there its coming I’ve been waiting since March after my 1st letter, I got a Tax Advocate and was advised to amend I did so sent it to the IRS and just to let tax advocate handle it.. Just to let you know the IRS had to pay me interest I’m getting a lil more than my amended return amount they give you interest for however long you have to wait so your return maybe a lil more too. I amended my return March 14 IRS received it March 19 the IRS adjusted my return May 25 updated today DDD 6/6

25. beautifult
      BOA
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

No one posted on here so I’m guessing we all still in the same boat

26. Had_Dem_TwinsNow6
      Ga
      Check
    • Weekly

@FingersCrossedinAZ: mine went from credit as of 5/28 to 5/31 wonder what it means no date yet I know that

27. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • 4464C Letter

@Staci B.: Thank You. This is just crazy. The last activity on my transcript was back in February. I’ve been stuck with that 570 since then dated 03/05. One 4464c letter in february and a referral put in back in April. Still nothing. I called a few weeks after my referral and was told wages are off and I would receive a letter. Still nothing. There isn’t any indication on my transcript that a notice was ever sent. Maybe the rep didn’t know what she was talking about. I’m going to call Monday and ask for another referral be put in.

28. Superkid

I’m beyond po’d. Filed 2/6 still nothing. Ta’s are a joke as well as getting congressman involved. At this point I’m changing my withholding at my job. I’d much rather pay them when I feel like it next season. This sucks to feel helpless. It’s literally my money and the IRS is just sitting on it and we can’t do anything about it. We all need to come together at some point and do something. Something literally has to be done. Enough is enough.

29. HOPELIVESHERE

More maintenance tonight closing down irs.gov sites, we all know its not to finish our refunds🤣🤣🤣

30. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Tax Topic 152, Tax Refund Offset, Injured Spouse

Wmr finally changed from refund applied to debt to be being processed

31. Staci B.

@Flipflop: hi, I think my initial letter came from Austin TX. the last 2 letters (letters 3500) came from Andover, Ma. with contact # 1-866-897-0177 . those letters were to inform me that they recieved my documents but would need extra to review.

32. Staci B.

@FingersCrossedinAZ: hi, Im no expert on the matter howerver, since i’ve been here since late jan. those whose as of date changes usually means something is about to take place, i.e. an update on a refund date etc. if you’ve been here for awhile I think its a positive sign, my as of date changed once about a month ago, then went back to old date, because represenative said they had to do more reviewing, good luck.

33. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

Here it is June 2, 2018…still NOTHING, for no reason…not under review…nothing…so damn ridiculous…they cannot seriously tell me this is happening again???

34. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • 4464C Letter

Not sure if it’s been asked already but does it mean anything when your as of date changes on transcripts. This is the first time I’ve seen a change since February

35. Irsblues
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Moms4Lifeof4: wow I filed my 1040x on 4/16 and nothing.

36. Madinjay

I actually just mailed mine in a few weeks ago to try and avoid all the drama but it seems like I will have to wait no matter what!

37. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • 4464C Letter

So I just looked at my transcripts again and my as of date was March 12th but has now changed to June 18th. But when I call hotline it says I have a credit to my account (my refund amount) as of May 25th. I have no idea what any of this means.

38. Jalisa (Not logged in)

Account balance in negative is your refund amount. 4/15 is on all lines just because that’s closing date for tax season.
    (the 5/18 means nothing on your end)

39. Moms4Lifeof4

Hi all,

Got a wonderful update finally got my ddd for 06/06. Almost 6 months long wait to be penny rich.. Break down filed on 01/19 accepted not long after that (cant remember) Got fed up got a congress rep at the end of march ta at the end of April. 05/24 they finally finished my 1040x which I filed on 4/27. I hope we are all getting this update soon.

40. Staci B.

@Irsblues: No i don’t have a TA I was told by someone who has gone through an audit, that unless you’re lucky enough to find a TA who is willing to go head to head for you it can actually cause delays … I feel getting one this late in the race will cause more bad than good, but I really wish I had gotten one earlier but hopefully in 6-8 weeks I’ll have my refund.

41. Nika911

@Waiting impatienly: I’ve been seeing that msg for months now. And still no deposit. “it is being processed “

42. Nicole

My TA just called for our weekly chat. I overnight-ed him the original 1040x last week and he sent it over to them on the 29th. Apparently my income has been verified they are just waiting on the original to make the adjustment. He said the person my file was assigned to was severely backed up but should be finished by June 6th. My next call with the TA is scheduled for the 8th.

One more week of waiting.

43. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • 4464C Letter

@Jalisa (Not logged in): that’s what we are trying to figure out. Mine says 05/25. Someone else has 05/17

44. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • 4464C Letter

@Stillwaiting on 2017 tax return: Do you know what that date means? That date is no where on my transcripts. I still have 570 code dated 03/05. No movement since then.

45. Irsblues
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@staci B: 5 to 6 months even with a TA?

46. Irsblues
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@staci B: no one has touched my file either,

47. Jalisa (Not logged in)

What does it mean when it says credit to your account etc mine say 5/18/2018

48. staci B

@Flipflop: representative told me those who are being audited can expect 5-6 month wait time. Just wish they were more transparent, but I’ve been given so many different answers it’s difficult to know what’s true.

49. staci B

@Irsblues: @Irsblues: yes I was told to wait til August 10th. Sad part is they haven’t even touched my file. And I’m legally able to claim my grand kids ,even IRS has acknowledged this but yet no one has signed off on this. When u try to be patient u get nowhere.

50. Angel

I sent my injured spouse form in at a the beginning of April, so I call today ( waiting around 8 weeks, and was told they don’t have it. Super frustrated because I was patient and waited to call and check to find out I have nothing at all even being processed!!

51. FingersCrossedinAZ
      AZ
      Netspend/MetaBank
    • 4464C Letter

@Had_Dem_TwinsNow6: I checked mine this morning on the hotline. It still says I have a credit to my account but the date at the end says 5/25. Not sure what that means. Hopefully it’s movement, been waiting since January.

52. Worries

My wmr changed to We have accepted your tax return and it is being processed” from your refund is still being processed a refund date will be provided when available…. does any one kno what this means good sign bad sign ???

53. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Irsblues: I understand completely I got my TA the first week of April also and I’ve only spoken with her about 2-3 times. I called her and left messages she hasn’t responded or anything so I began to call the national hotline for advocates to get updates and I even wrote and spoke with someone to my senator and congressman office. It’s ridiculous how they work. You should reach out to the hotline to see what’s going on even contact your senator to help get your money.

54. Irsblues
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Prettyladyte: @Prettyladyte: I have a TA that is non-responsive. She doesn’t call or return calls. I got her back in early April- who said my withholding was off (I used the W2 online versus the one that was mailed). So we found the error. I sent amended (mailed and faxed) and it was received on 4/16. But then I got sent to the examination department on 4/20/16. I called the examination department and my return just sitting there not assigned to a examiner or anything. I didn’t get any letters etc I just happened to see the audit code on my transcript. I was like why they said I have to show proof of my 19 year old daughter. I am like I have been claiming her for 19 years why now. So I am like what do I need to send to show proof she is mine and I support her while she is at the University of Maryland. The rep said don’t send anything until you get letter and I am like when is that we don’t know the system doesn’t show. WTF

55. Jason

Disaster this year 😠
    transcript cycle 20181205
    E-Filed 1/28/18
    Accepted 1/29/18
    WMR Bars disappeared 2/08/18
    Received CP05 dated 2/8/18
    Called 2/16/18 to verify ID
    (45 days to end 5/04/18)
    Then got a letter which was dated
    3/29/18 called 4464.
    Which says that I have too wait 60 additional days for processing.
    Called 5/04/18 the rep after verifying my ID, said they had until the 19th to finish the review. (Uh I know count 45 days from 2/18/18 is 5/04/18 but I digress) Still nothing, totally in the dark to whats going on.
    So I just hurry uped an waited….
    So the 60 days were up and
    5/29/18 I called again and they said that they’ve had way more than enough time to finish the review and process it. So the rep sent a refferal email to the department that is processing my tax refund. An was going to do the referral to release my refund and/or send me something in writing letting me know whats going on. Then said it could take another 60 days. 😣😲😠😤😖😧
    Then the rep said that after 45 days from the tax due date. (4/15/2018- 05/29/18) that the IRS starts paying interest which is currently 5% daily. I looked it up. An theres some truth to it. An supposedly its added to your refund when the refund is issued.
    (If ever issued)
    So my question is did you all have to wait the full 60 days after the referral for your refund? That puts me basically at the end of July. I’ve never had this happen and its extremely frustrating!!

56. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Irsblues: Do u have a TA or have you reached out to your senator or congressman?

57. Stillwaiting on 2017 tax return

@Had_Dem_TwinsNow6: my sister changed to the same date when did yours change

58. Irsblues
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Prettyladyte: nope still here nothing…I am never going to get it

59. Had_Dem_TwinsNow6
      Ga
      Check
    • Weekly

@Stillwaiting on 2017 tax return: mine changed to 5/31 and for the ones asking for number u have to have gotten a letter

60. Worries