When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Prettyblack

@KMurph: If you can when you get up in the morning I would call and ask to speak to their supervisor like Motherof4 said, my experience with my TA is; she told me to send her my amendment, because she could get it back quicker. So go over her head to the boss and if they can’t help I would go over her head to a bigger boss. That’s her job to help you when the irs can’t so we got your back if you need help we’re here for you. I have faith that something will come through for us all they already owe us intrest.

2. Waiting in Houston TX

Still here. Waiting on my initial return 🙄 mailed return 03/20 was accepted 4/5 been unpostable since 4/9. Mailed copies of my DL and social security card with return cause I didn’t have my ip pin. Called yesterday was told it takes 8 weeks for the identity theft department to manually review my return to make sure it’s me then it goes to processing which takes another 8 weeks to process and I won’t get my return until August 2018. Waiting on a call from a TA in which based on reviews they can’t do sh$& either. I’m just over it!

3. KMurph

@Prettyblack: That was my thought process too! Like, what do you mean you can’t help! That’s what your job IS!! I’m livid. I’ll be ready to file again before I even get this years refund. Or so it seems!

4. KMurph

@Moms4Lifeof4: I literally reached out to her last week for an initial call. All her assistant said was to fax over 1040 and W2. She just called today and gave me this info. I’ve reached my wits end. I’m just gonna let them give it to me when they please. With added interest I hope!

5. Moms4Lifeof4

I defiantly will keep you guys updated. @KMurph: i have a phone number I can give you for a sups sup maybe they will be able to help or call the ta intake and ask them for the supervisors number and their supervisors manger.

6. Prettyblack

@KMurph: talk to the supervisor because that just isn’t right. Many of us have faxed our amended return to our TA’s.

7. question?

Got 566e? asking to verify income and EIC anyone else had this question is I amended income last week and this was sent first it seems what do I do?

8. Nika911

@IhatetheIRS30: I am here too. Jan 24th filer
    Cp05 march 12
    20180605 cycle code
    pather
    Jus caught in the bulllcrapp as well.

9. Nika911

@KMurph: yea. But they proly got stopped because they were telling folks they were releasing funds and actually had to wait on processing first to actually get that done. Everyone had the freeze code just about and telling us to amend was they first protocol if we waited passed our days. The tas WERRE taking all the credit . Because we all waited long enough by the time the tas was called it was time for everyone to get released anyways . They just see our time frame tell us what is prompted to get us off the phone. I been doing taxes since I was 18 and I’m now 35 and majority of the tas go beyond they job duty and actually get somethings done but majority following prompted scripts and just telling us what we already can c on our transcripts. But many aren’t knowing that yet . I’d wait I mean the IRS has many stall tactics. Not enuf funds and don’t Wana pay our money . They guna b stuck once EVERYBODY peep game and start filing exempt thru out the year . It’s damnear another tax season bout gone. And we still waiting . It’s dumb and it gets dumber every year

10. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Moms4Lifeof4: yes and top it off that I am laid off and have a child in college.

11. KMurph

My TA flat out said she can’t help me because my refund is on hold. She stated I would have to amend. I asked her should I fax over, and she says “No, I can’t do anything with them. You’ll have to mail them”. I saw so many other TA’s doing it though? I’m just not gonna do anything at this point. I’ll just wait for my 2nd letter from the IRS.

12. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

And to top it off, I got a letter for the IRS today that says they received something about my account on 3/19 and they need additional 60 days to complete a response on what action they are taking. It goes on to say that they don’t need further information from me right now. The letter is 2645C and dated 5/14. I filed on 1/30, accepted on 1/31. Got a TA on 4/9. It seems like my TA is not working in m favor.

13. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

TA just called and claimed they had a meeting and the IRS will no longer accept faxed amended returns. She said I have to drop it off at a local office which requires you to make an appointment or mail it in. UGH!

14. Prettyblack

@Moms4Lifeof4: I totally understand I am hoping to get a call this weekend from my TA with a ddd. I never received a original so I’m hoping for a DD.

15. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Talked to my TA who has been sitting on my amended return since 4/12 just called and said there was an error on it and she apologized for the delay. I am like you had it for 4 weeks. Mind you it was a minor error that her or the IRS could have corrected. She tells me she was putting it through (as of May 15). Then says that next contact date is June 14th. Meanwhile I am sitting on a 420 code since 4/20. Informed Delivery Service by USPS just notified me I had a letter from IRS. I am curious to what it states.

16. HOPELIVESHERE

So for the 6 of us left lol what is the record for losing and gaining bars?
    Im at 2x right now still no info on transcript as well 🤣🤣 Still no ex taxes for cs arrears so the race is still on………
    Hoping all those who need their refunds get them soon 😁

17. EZ2NJOY

@Lala: You may update on Saturday. If you can try viewing your transcripts tomorrow.

18. EZ2NJOY

@Erica: Your bars should be back Saturday morning with a ddd of Wednesday of next week. Well, this was my experience. Good luck!!

19. Erica

Hi i filed 4/16
    bars disappeared a few weeks later with ‘refund is processing a refund date will be provided’
    Did ID Verification on 5/14
    Now this morning it says my refund was received and is being processed but still no bars…

What does this mean!?

20. Christie

@Nika911: No, I’ve been stuck on “being processed” since I verified my identity March 10th. They told me to call back if I hadn’t received my refund after 9 weeks.

21. Lala

I filed on 1/28, Accepted on 2/5. Lost bars a week later. I received two letters: first was for refund adjustment and the second was the 45 Day hold. I called on 5/2, the rep sent a referral in. I called back today and the rep told me that it was released on the 11th. When will I see an update on the WMR?

22. Nika911

@Watingimpatienly: is it possible to wake up with a deposit on the seventeenth and no bars

23. Nika911

@Watingimpatienly: nope she said that the 17th will be a little after my 45 days. But she didn’t mention 60 days or a referral.

24. Watingimpatienly

@Nika911: did you wait 45 or 60 days on your CP05 ? and did they put a referral after that? Mine was 45 days with a date of May 10, but now they told me it was not 45 days it is 60 days, and after that they can “elevate it”

25. Nika911

Quick question anybody. If the rep said if I don’t get my refund by the seventeen call Bak. Does that mean my bars will reappear tomorrow? I filed Jan 24th. Pather no tax topic 152 anymore transcripts still say mar 12th. And I had that cp05 mar 12th. And my WMR say “it is being processed”

26. Prettyblack

@Moms4Lifeof4: I was told the same thing by my TA on Friday. That I made it through step 1 I am assuming that means adjusted, but now the wait in a direct deposit.

27. Moms4Lifeof4

@ Ahmad I went to the top as far as I could to the ta people to finally get answers. I don’t understand them at all. I don’t have a clue what step 2 and they cant tell me in a way I can understand so I hope yours just pops up lol.

28. Ahmad

On wheres my amended return it says my state return was completed on may 11th but the department of revenue says it’s still being processed now tell me why would they have something different I have followed it since it was received in March the government needs to get it together@Moms4Lifeof4: mine says completed and now their saying still being processed

29. Ahmad

30. Moms4Lifeof4

I got word today that my amended has been approved its in step 2 I know they have 72 bus hours to complete the amended per TA supervisor’s supervisor does anyone know how long it will take for them to release my tax return?

31. Christie

So, I called the IRS today. I got the operator and after I told her I was recording it was like talking to a new IRS. Then, after transferring me to a gentleman, I told him I was recording the call due to previous contacts with the IRS and he immediately hung up on me! They record us but we can’t record them?

32. beautifult
      BOA
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Steven: same here. Called today. Filed 2/11

33. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Nika911: That’s awesome. You have to really have a passion to work with kids.

34. Correction police

@Lady: No.Mine never goes beyond second bar until after I receive my refund.

35. Steven

@patientlywaiting: hello.
    My amount of refund is above 6000$! And have been waiting since Feb 12! Yesterday they told me they put me on referral and another 6 weeks wait!

36. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@#waitin: ok thanks

37. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Nika911: Atlanta lol there are some pretty good cities in GA. I’m only 27 and that’s nice. Do you teach small kids or older ones? I’ve thought about working in the school system. It’s a honest living and I know they have great benefits.

38. Christie

I hope next year the owner of WMR considers adding the state of the poster as a required field and considers adding polls…I think certain regions of the country and a certain economic class are being targeted and since the IRS does not like providing data they know proves this, We The People should start sharing information to create our own.

39. patientlywaiting

@TooLong: The encouragement is nice. I am in the same boat as @Helloworld. My 60 days was up on 4/28 and called on 4/30 to be placed for referral. I’ve been waiting, and it would be nice to hear some good news. May I ask: was your amount more than $6,000 or so? I was curious if my theory of my refund amount being over a certain dollar amount as being a reason for this delay had any validity :/

40. Bran flakes

@TooLong: My 60 days was up on 4/23, I was told on 5/11 that my refund was released on 5/10 and it takes 2-3 weeks to receive the deposit! I’ve checked everyday and nothing so far but hearing you were released the same day and received a deposit date is encouraging.

41. Bubba

@KMurph: last time I checked the act of swallowing has nothing to do with spitting out kids.

42. TooLong

@HelloWorld: my 60 day review ended 4/27. I called and told s request was put in for release and may take up to another 60 days. I was released Thursday 5/10. DDD tomorrow 5/16. Stay encouraged it shouldn’t be too long.

43. Nika911

@Prettyladyte: cool. What’s a good area to move to out there. I am 35 so I ain’t pressed about nothing to extravagant lol I’m a teacher here so looking to transfer of course. So ready to leave VA it’s a hot side. Commonwealth state gota dip in everything u make or they take matter fact they worse than the IRS hunny lol

44. HelloWorld

So guys maybe some progress was made in my case today. A referral was put for release. How long does it take and does anyone has an experience with the same process?

45. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

So I just got off the phone with Tax Advocate Hotline and my case was closed today. The lady said since it was early in the week I could check for a ddd. She said I could see a ddd by next week. I hope so. My TA hasn’t returned my phone calls or anything so I called the TA hotline to see if there were any updates. Seems like them trying to get everyone out the way before June could have some truths.

46. Moms4Lifeof4

@shay idk how they are doing this crap.. one if you file for a hardship means you need the money not wait even longer like really people. Pull your silver spoon out of your mouth and get my crap done…

47. Moms4Lifeof4

Okay guys who else can I fuss at to get my taxes? I have contacted a TA, his boss, her boss, local contact, congress, now the senate and now the “white house” (I know this wont go any where). I refuse to take another 30 days waiting on this refund like they are requesting with out a reason.

48. Steven

@Nervous: I Had the same conversation with them yesterday! They told me Up to 6 weeks! Might be next week or tomorrow, but considering that we dealing with IRS, count for 6 weeks! That’s what I’m mentally ready for already