When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Nervous

Just a question if anyone could answer it for me please. I was told today that my review is FINALLY over and my hold has been lifted!!!!! The rep said that my funds are due to be released….for those that had theirs released without using a TA, how long did it take to receive yours after you got released?

2. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@#waitin: thanks for responding

3. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@#waitin: oh I was told I needed to fax my return to them and I had already signed the form but wasn’t aware that I had to do anything else.

4. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@#waitin: Did you have to fax your return or do anything else besides fill out the privacy form ?

5. eric529
      Ohio
      Huntt
    • Tax Topic 152, Tax Refund Offset, Injured Spouse

Ok got a fax copy of scripts still no 84y but reversed offset with cucle at bottom sayong 20181905 28th may so am i rignt that they will mail check around 4th of june or could it be sooner everything done recieved letter 3179 saying few weeks for refund

6. #waitin

@Prettyladyte: it took less then 11 days after I got my senator involved wishing all the best this has been the worse tax year hoping to see a lot of you getting DDD!!!

7. msmak30
      Michigan
      Netspend
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

So i was told i need to ammend by an irs rep. My 60 days was up today and my wages are off by 10,000. She says she can out the referral through but my return wont move until i ammend. I filed through turbo tax so can i go online and just ammend

8. wrappedwithbands
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, TC 420, TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Here’s a random thing I forgot to share. I was told after 3 attempts to login into your IRS account (transcripts, view bills, etc.) the system locks you out for 90 days. I haven’t been able to get my transcript online despite entering my credit card number. I was also told that they pull EXPERIAN. I told the rep, I took the freeze off of all my accounts and still couldn’t get past the credit report info. I was supposed to get an email or call back in 3 days (applies only to business professionals – won’t work for individuals) and they did not follow up. The IRS customer service is a mess.

9. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

For anyone who has contacted their senator or congress did u have to send a copy of your refund ? I had to amend and was wondering if I would get the amended amount or would they release my original refund ?

10. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Nika911: hi, yes I remember talking with you earlier on here. I’m not too far from Atlanta. And thank you. Goodluck to you as well. My TA hasn’t returned any of my phone calls since 4/26 so I faxed the privacy form from my Senator yesterday morning they called to tell me I needed to fax my return also so I’m waiting to do that. I’ve read where they get your refund to you in 4-11 days so I’m hoping I hear some good news about it. And I’m planning on moving also.

11. Nika911

@Prettyladyte: hey. I think we r n the same boat. From notices n all. Good luck. Also what part of GA u in? I’m in va and I’m looking to relocating to that side by summer time

12. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@KMurph: I’m with you on that. They may as well stop all this foolishness and give everyone else waiting their refunds!

13. Rina

@beautifult: I checked my transcripts this morning and the system was down for maintenance. Waited and checked this evening – no change and of course WMR was of no help. I’m getting discouraged and confused. Seeking mixed results of getting a TA versus not getting one; being patient versus being a pain in the ____. So IDK…

14. KMurph

@Prettyladyte: I’m hoping that the entire system crashes for this BS they are pulling this year. I also hope they get frustrated like we are and just give us our money!!!!!

15. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

MYbe that’s a good thing the ones left need to go ahead and update

16. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@KMurph: okay thank you

17. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

I tried to check WMAR and it states there’s a technical error and at the bottom reference number 111 (internal) does anyone know what this means ?

18. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

Is anyone else having trouble viewing transcripts online ? This is the first time I’ve gotten a error message.

19. Kiiaja

@Waitingonmycoint: I talked to my TA today (got impatient and called) she said it wont show on WMAR because I sent it to her first. Dont know if that applies to everyone but thought I’d share.

20. Jerm

@NoTax$inSC: they told me the exact same thing.At this point I’m just gonna keep on waiting..(filed/accepted 1/19).I’m not even gonna get a TA because it seems there are already “too many hands in the pot”.As of today it’s about 6 days into being told to wait another 60. WTH.!!

21. stasia

iled 02.01.2018 accepted 02.02.2018 letter dated 02.22.2018 60 day review period called irs first week of march stated posted in there dept 03.12.2018 wait another 60 days called the last week of march rep reffered account to the under review dept to let them know its been over 60 days try to advised me to get a tax advocate approved 05.05.2018 ddd 05.092018 the irs didnt adjusted anything still received my full refund…..I DID NOT GET A TAX ADVOCATE

22. JayBee

I finally got my return. After having it “altered” due to the 8962 for the 1050-A that the Affordable Care Act said I had used them for 2 months last year. I never did, they cost me exactly $300 off my tiny return as it was. I tried getting the ACA and the IRS to fix this, or at least investigate it.. but they both told me, especially ACA that I had “no proof” to prove them wrong… which basically sounded like they were admitting to screwing up. I had the ACA in 2016, not 2017, like they said for Jan & Feb (then magically did cancelled on 2/28/17) like they claim. And they told me the SAME thing in accordance for next year… I laughed when I asked/mentioned “I never signed up for the ACA AGAIN! 2 years in a row??” So something is fishy over there… and my return this year, and most likely next year will be robbed for at least 50%+ by the ACA… thanks Obamacare!

23. Nida❤️

Question? Is the person still here that had a TA and their case was closed? What were the steps you took afterwards? And are you being helped again?

24. wrappedwithbands
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, TC 420, TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@NoTax$inSC: I got mine on 2/12. Right before my 60 days was up they gave me a 420 (4/13). I’m sitting on the exam desk not being audited. They didn’t decide yet. Their deadline is this week. That’s with a TA. My TA is so backed, she escalated my complaint and now her boss is following up. My situation is about being a statutory employee. I guess my withholding and deductions. I was told by the “boss” that the examiners don’t understand it. In other words, they’re looking for a reason to F with me because they’re not versed in tax law.

25. Moms4Lifeof4

My TA calls me today and tells me they need another 30 days to finish things up by voice mail.. Are you serious you have already had 4 fing months to get right and still cant get right. I hope to god they get shit together right away.

26. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

Okay my TA calls me finally a month later to explain how backed up they are on voice mail because she called like 6:30pm on Friday night while I was my nephew’s play. Then proceeds to say there was one error on my amended that I didn’t catch, but she waits a whole month to tell me that. She tells me to call her on Monday and guess what no answer or return call. I faxed the correction but not sure if I should mail it to the IRS.

27. NoTax$inSC

Anyone that received a 4464c letter for 60 day review on March 5th what is you current status?
    I was told my 60 days was up and they would send a note to the dept that was supposed to do the review for them to release my funds.
    She said it could take an additional 60 days. smdh.

28. HOPELIVESHERE

Lol🤣🤣🤣🤣
    Lost my bars again lol
    I was a june baby but Im guessing now a july….
    Who’s going to take 1st place being last one left here? Me 🤣🤣

29. sips

worked with tax advocate, accountant efiled march 10 and accepted same day. was told needed to verify i am me lol. once advocate stepped in t was cleared in 3 days and was told refund would be sent 5/15

is it true they only mail on friday?
    how long do actual checks take to mail..??

30. Waitingonmycoint
      NFCU
    • TT 152, TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

happy monday everyone!
    Still waiting…I sent my amended on 4/13 and it was rcvd by my TA who then faxed hers to the IRS. But its not showing in WMR amended…did anyone else have that issue?

31. KMurph

@Steven: I’m with you Steven. As a single mother of two, with ONE income, this has had the most negative impact. Why punish those WITH children?

32. Danni

how long did it take the irs to trace a check to see if it was cashed?” Admended Check was mailed 04/10.. irs started a trace and said the trace could take up to 6 weeks but can it be sooner ??

33. Steven

IRS jokes
    Hi everyone. I’m still here and probably will stick around until 2020!
    They told me starting March 5, would be 9 weeks until May 7th. I called May 7th, they said was wrong information the start date for the 9 weeks hold. So would be start March 12th up to May 14th. Here we are today and 0 in my account! I called them and SURPRISE, SURPRISE?! “Our system has your refund on hold for NO REASON and I will have to send your RELEASE PAYMENT order to another department “!!! And the most funny of that? 6 more weeks to wait! Can someone tell me this is a funny joke? I have 4 mouths to feed including my own and only 2 hands working, mine! I owe them nothing. If I had the $, I would hire a lawyer but I guess All i can do is wait until they decide to pay or not.
    IRS thanks for making my day and life miserable once more 😞

34. KMurph

@Sheila_33: Did some research on unpostables. Would I be unpostable if I have a cycle date? It says that unpostables are accounts that can not pass enough “tests” for lack of a better word, won’t post to master file.

35. KMurph

@Sheila_33: Unpostable? Dear God, what does that mean?! I’ve called twice and told to wait. Last I heard, they were handing it over to verification. That was 4/28 or so. Got a TA Thursday of last week. Waiting to hear from them.

Take Action
    • Tax Topic 151

@KMurph: You’re not seeing any codes whatsoever? I’m wondering if you’re unpostable and that’s why you are not showing up with any codes on your account transcript. Have you contacted them?

37. KMurph

Recv’d my transcripts. Only thing I see of importance is cycle posted 20180605. I don’t see any three digit codes. (846/570 etc.) Recvd date says 4/15, but they were accepted on 1/29. What does this mean? See no penalties. Will I get my money soon?

38. Please answer me and thank you

I have had my income tax refund taken this year and last year. I was told it was for year 2013 and I owed so what they gave me in 2013 they were taking back. I was also told to ammend return for 2013 so I did. My question is. Now as of today on amended return site my old zip does not match could they have finally update my new address and if so why new address not showing a record of return sent. Second will they credit anything back.

39. IhatetheIRS30

Still here, I know I didn’t update. Don’t even want to check! Been here since February had to Id verify, they they put me on a 45 day, then they gonna say oh we meant 60 day after they sent me a 45 day letter?!!! Sick of the irs and their bull and lies. I contacte my senator waiting on a response

40. Nika911

So. Check it
    Filed Jan 24 the
    pather
    Cp05 letter 3 12 2018
    Wait 45 bull crap. It’ll all be believable if they weren’t telling everybody the same bull.
    Anywho I called the other day she said if I don’t get refund by 17th of may call Bak. That’ll make a little after my 45 mumbo jumbo. No ta needed majority of us just being help for there dumb tactics they don’t Wana pay us period it’s been proven for years. We rack our brains. I bet in exempt from now on. Give me my money as I work he’ll they guna keep our money at the end of the year anyways and pay us when they feel like it and still act like they don’t know what interest is from April 15 . Yea RT smh. The IRS r crooks period oh yea in a 20180605 praying for something other than IT IS BEING OROCESSED FOR WKS NOW

41. CantDoAnythingButWait

I’m sorry for sounding like a complete dunce but how do I get a TA? I’ve been trying to do research and the internet is giving my different answers. Since most of you have one can someone explain to me what actions need to be taken to acquire one?

42. wrappedwithbands
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, TC 420, TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

*you’re

43. wrappedwithbands
    • Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • TT 152, TC 420, TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

I found out I’m in limbo because the reviewer/examiner doesn’t understand how statutory employee tax returns work. I was told a decision will be made by Thursday (that’s the 420 deadline). So a 420 DOES NOT (necessarily) mean your being audited, but it does mean that your return is on their desk. I’ve been sitting on the exam desk since 4/13 😒. At least that’s what my transcript says. Hopefully I’ll have my refund next week.

44. why

Nothing yet. Over 100 days we have been praying

We are early filers

Why

Ta are useless.

45. beautifult
      BOA
    • TT 152, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Rina: me as well. Fingers crossed. Script message of course lol

46. Rina

@Irsblues: non still here. My 60 days is joyful (5/13) so I hope to call tomorrow to see if any progress has been made. If not I’m going to request a TA.

47. Joce6563

I can’t stress enough if you don’t have a TA please get one because dealing with the irs you will be waiting forever!!!

48. Joce6563

@Nika911: well I can’t speak on everyone else but my TA deserved the credit she told me the exact papers that I needed to send in if it wasn’t for her I will be still waiting 60 days just for the irs to tell me that I needed additional papers then I would have to wait an additional 60 days B.s. so in my case my TA was great and help my case close fast

49. WAitingimpatienly

@CantDoAnythingButWait: what I understand after WMR changes fron still being process to being process you will get your DDD, my 45 days was up Thursday and I’m calling on Monday, but I read every body is been telling to wait 60 more days.

50. Big Raymond

I gots my refund and iz so rich. First thing I do is go to state fair then I go and get my dick wet at the titty bar. I make white women snorkle on my anus for 15 dollars. Now I bought new rims for my 98 Honda Accord. Got a new chain and still have 80 bucks left over to take the kids out to sizzler

51. Marlana

I spoke to an irs agent yesterday and she said they closed my case in the injured spouse department and then I’ll receive a letter . It also has the topic 152 under my wmr. How much longer until I receive my refund?

52. EZ2NJOY

Happy Mother’s Day to all my IGMR friends!! I pray all that’s still waiting get your refund soon.

53. CantDoAnythingButWait

Filed electronically Jan. 22, and it was accepted Jan. 22. I got a letter telling me they need to very some information and that no action was needed on my part. I was asked to follow up after 60 days.

On the 61st day I called and was told that it’s still in review. I was advised no other documentation was sent to me stating that information needing verifying and they asked me to call back in another 60 days.

This is getting ridiculous I need to know what is going on at the least. No one has any answers for me and my WMR is showing as “being processed” not “still being processed.” Should I be worried?

Any information will help.

54. Nida❤️

Finally updated on WMR to 2nd bar!!!! DDD 5/16. Thank God. Continue to get on those TA’s and make them work, work, work, work, work! I pray everyone has great spendings those that are getting the funds. Especially my January filers! As for everyone else continue to hang on the journey is long. It will come right on time. Thanks for all the support everyone.

55. Nika911

@Joce6563: everybody that was n ur cycle code is the 16tg. U hate how the tas are getting all the credit. Smh

56. Joce6563

I almost forgot to let you guys know my TA called me on Friday and told me that she is closing my case and my DDD will be May 16th!!!!!! Glad to say it’s finally over I wish you all good luck and see you guys next year

57. Staci B.

@The IRS Is.Really.Slow.: thanks for your time, knowledge, wisdom and wits!,,,i’m not sure if i’ve had the pleasure of conversing with you however’ I have been on here since late jan. and the irs says I may be here til sept. I have followed your replies and you have help keep me sane through this process, glad that you’ve finally gotten your ddd. and i wish you all the best.

58. KMurph

@IRSNot: I FINALLY got a TA. Faxed over my documents on Thursday. Just waiting on her call back! Filed and accepted in JANUARY! Withholding didn’t match. Probably have to amend. Hope it’s not much longer after that. My birthday is on the 17th. I’m pretty sure I won’t see it by then. 😞

59. Waiting in Houston TX

@Lynn40: Procedure vs scripted I frankly could care less. They need to get it together PERIOD!!!! The ishhh is STILL ridiculous. #Point

60. Waiting in Houston TX

@Jeannie: wowwww! And I knew in the back of my head that all of this is scripted and they withhold certain info but golly. Like dude just quit playing with ppls money get them processed. This is ridiculous.

61. The IRS Is.Really.Slow.

Hey friends. My bars are finally back. DDD is 5/16, which is 3 months and 4 days total time.

For peeps that have been here for this long: you guys are awesome. You have been so helpful, and we have learned more than we ever want to know. I appreciate you all so much!

Slightly newer IGMRers: If you search my name, you will find the links to the employee handbook to look at more knowledge on calls you can make depending on what exactly is going on (it takes forever). I will get on Monday and Tuesday to help with this. If you need anything search after you click 2018, and type the word. There’s so much info after this season of debauchery its crazy.

Again, thank you so so much for keeping me slightly sane over the last few months. Don’t give up, you are doing great.

😗 Lauren

62. Clarie

My Journey to 846….finally

I’m so glad to have found this group… gave me hope. I have been filing IS for the past 5 years and every year it’s the same issues but somehow it always manage to work it self out. This year I filed with IS with my tax return via mail.

Here it is…mail it in on Feb 28
    150 Tax return filed 120182205 cycle code. 04-09-2017
    806. W-2 or 1099 withholding 04-15-2018
    766 Credit to your account. 04-15-2018
    768 Earned income credit. 04-15-2018
    570. Additional account action pending. 04-09-2019
    971 Injured spouse claimed received.
    03-22-2018
    971. Injured spouse claimed received.
    03-22-2018
    290 Additional tax accessed 20181905 cycle code 05-28-2018
    846. Refund issued 05-16-2018
    846. Refund issued 05-16-2018

The journey is over… till next year

Good Luck everyone and thank you

63. Superkid

Still here waiting in Louisiana. Filed 2/6. Id verify letter came 2/26. Verified a day afterwards. No eic, dependents, just education credit that I Receive every year. Got a 4464 letter about the 60 day thing. Called Irs 5/4 told me that my 60 days are over on 5/28. I’m getting much senator involved on Monday. This makes no sense. I will stick with you guys until the end. And I will donate.

64. IRSNot

@FingersCrossedinAZ: enjoy your wait hun…..we waited a whole 2 months & still so no movement….we got a TA 4/9 && just received deposit 5/9…..would’ve still been waiting if we hadn’t gotten 1….you can’t base somebody else’s bad experience on what you need done hun…that’s your money don’t you want it??

65. Prettyladyte
      MetaBank
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

@Waintingfordays4refund%: from the looks out things I haven’t updated yet. If nothing changes over the weekend then I’m signing the privacy form from my senator and faxing it to him so that they can get my refund released. This is past ridiculous and I’m just over it.