When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. TX2000

I asked this a while back but forgot to come back and check to see who responded. Okay, once you received the 60 day review letter. Can I get y’all experience like did it really take 60 days exact or where there certain documents they wanted in addition to what they already had? Thx in advance and have a great day

2. Mbry0625
      Credit union
      Apr-20
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Weekly

@The IRS Is.Really.Slow.: do you have schedule c?

3. GoBlue
      MI
      USAA
      Take Action
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 420

@schlis85: it’s a referral for audit. And more then likely it will turn into an audit

4. Michael

@chad Welcome to the waiters club. I f/a via TT 2/9/18. My 4464c is dated 3/15/18.
    Still waiting.

5. Chad

Filed and accepted on 02-24-18. 21 days came and went. Then received the 4464c letter and was told to wait 60 days. Bars came and went and still saying processing with tax topic 152. I guess I’m in the crowd of waiting to be released. 20181105 on transcripts

6. DontPlayWithMyMoney

@Norefundsue: from what I understand you should be getting DDD soon when the as of date changes

7. The IRS Is.Really.Slow.

@schlis85: Not necessarily. It means they have sent it to be considered for one. I got a 424 last Friday. 😐

8. Lady

I gave up smh 😢 been here sents 1-30-18 got a tax advisory 3-21-18 and I’m still waiting my wmr change from one bar too still being processed idk what to think anymore this shit sucks 😢😢

9. waitingaswell:)

@Jwantshisdough: what kind of letter did you send? My TA had me to send my pay stub. Said they had the w2 already. She said she put in a release request for me on monday and they have until tomorrow to repsond. Just curious as to if I will need to send a letter too.

10. Jwantshisdough

@Moms4Lifeof4: I had to send a letter to my TA, after sending my last pay stub and w2. Spoke to mine today and he said they accepted it and put a release in and should hopefully post this Friday or possibly next. As long as your amounts match up with what you filed you should be alright. Good luck… my TA said they’re being incredibly strict this year doing their due diligence.

11. Thespecialone.unlogged

I was told today that my refund was released and to wait 4-6 weeks. So I smile and cry

12. $$$

I’ve been waiting since 1/22 received 4464c letter waited 60 days called said they were putting in a referral.. could take up to 60 more days? so called national TA and they told me to wait .. I thought they were suppose to help people guess they are more worried about the $ that will be rolling in starting tomorrow

13. The IRS Is.Really.Slow.

@Tom-Tom: Basically, there is nothing for you to “pay off”. The IRS/treasury has flagged that you may owe money for something (like child support, unemployment, ect.) and are either going to take it from your refund or not. Sometimes they do, Sometimes they dont.

14. Tom-Tom

I haven’t received a refund in 6 years. I got my transcripts and the transaction code 898 kept showing up and it said it was for a non IRS debt. I’m looking for an outlet to give me information on how to look up this debt and how to pay it off. Every number I’ve called for IRS of course gets me nowhere and their website is a joke. Can anyone help me out?

15. Exhusted filer

Ohhhh and I called today to make sure that tbe last agent 3/26 put me back in processing after I’d verification.. Just in case .. Was told everything was fine with verification so just a waiting Duck 😣😣

16. Exhusted filer

Update : I’d verified 3/26
    Ordered transcript 4/10
    Arrived today 4/16
    And states processing date 4/16 😂😂
    2 (766 code) credit 4/15
    768 Eic 4/15
    570 additional account action 4/16 $0.00
    971 notice issued 4/23 $0.00 I’m confused lol

17. Moms4Lifeof4

Okay guys help me I got a letter from my TA requesting a letter from my employer for an amount of a W2 and with holdings I have no clue where the got the balances from he isn’t answer me I can’t get any where I’m so done.

18. NCgirl918
      NC
      Bank
      Apr-13
      Apr-16
      Apr-14
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, 4464C Letter

@DontPlayWithMyMoney: yes ma’am

19. Had_Dem_TwinsNow6
      Ga
      Check
    • Weekly

Bars showed 3/28 4/4 bars and amount gone still topic 152 as of today my amount is back any movement is better than none I guess

20. IRSissaMESS

If I have a TA Can I Call him and request a fax of my transcripts? I can’t view them online but I can order them I just did not want to have to wait a week until I get them? So is it possible for the IRS or TA to fax me over my transcripts?

21. Tax liability for tax extension

What is my tax liability if my earned income was $20,043 ? I need it to file a tax extension

22. Shanna

Still processing. Excepted Jan 29 CP05 notice on march 3. When I called the IRS they said nothing to wait I’ll have it withing the 45 days. 45 days is up on Thursday and still have no update on anything. Have not received no other notices. Its like its just sitting somewhere. Well guess I’ll see what happens on Thursday. Keep you all updated. Any suggestions please call. Tried a TA but don’t qualify. IRS has been no help.

23. HOPELIVESHERE

I will miss all you who leave this month or May… 😁 To those of us june or later Hi🤗 Im at least having fun playing the wait to see which comes 1st game 🤣
    Exes taxes or my refund please feel free to put ur vote in..

24. EZ2NJOY

@THANK GOD…:My bars showed back up with the second bar approved and a ddd for April 18. I called NetSpend yesterday morning and asked did they see a pending transaction for my deposit and they said no. When I woke up this morning I had a text alert that my money was deposited at 11pm last night.

25. The IRS Is.Really.Slow.

Monday update: Could finally see transcripts last week on Friday. Called national line this morning instead of regular TA, since she doesn’t like to explain much. Girl was super nice and did a ton of research. Read me the new letter that got sent, said my refund was being adjusted, but also saw a 420 (audit I think). No 846. 3 letters. Already have gotten 2. Waiting on the 3rd. She sent an email to my TA’s supervisor, because she agrees this is bullshit and confusing as fuck. Sitting in still processing. As of is April 30th. Another week to wait.

26. Michael

@PrettyP: Welcome to the club. I filed/accepted 2/9/2018 and still don’t have my refund. If you recv’d a 4464c letter, you will need to simply wait 45-60 days from the date of that letter for your refund, or you will receive additional instructions from the IRS if they need anything more.

I’m going to guess that you will know something around beginning to mid May. My 4464c is dated 3-15-2018.

27. THANK GOD...

@EZ2NJOY: did it ever show on wmr?or Sbbt account or did it just pop up in your account?

28. EZ2NJOY

@wes302: It usually a two week turnaround after wording change. I guess I got lucky my wording change last Thursday and Saturday my bars was back with a ddd of April 18 and because I have NetSpend card it was there 11pm last night. You might update this coming Saturday.

29. Patientlywaiting&lurking

@PrettyP: it’s 45-60 days from the date of the letter not the date filed

30. wes302

@wes302: wording changed from still being processed to being processed a week ago. still no ddd

31. PrettyP

This shit is simply pathetic… I filed 02/15/2018 and accepted the same day and i still dont have my refund. I lost my bars like 2 weeks after i filed. Recieved a 4464c letter around 03/12/2018 saying i dont need to do anything and im under review (not an audit) and to wait 45-60 days. Well that time is up…Where the fuck is my dam refund seriously

32. IRSissaMESS

If I have a TA Can I Can him and request a fax of my transcripts? I can’t view them online but I can order them I just did not want to have to wait a week until I get them? So is it possible for the IRS or TA to fax me over my transcripts?

33. jpockets420
      Illinois
      MoneyNetwork
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

75 days since I filed too and I’m still waiting. I know what the issue is but I’ve been denied a TA because of no hardship and the irs says there is nothing I can do to fix the wage problem which is two missing W2’s. All I would have to do is send in the W2’s and this problem would be fixed but they told me I cannot do that until they send me a letter requesting them. What a crock of b.s.

34. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Michael: wages off W2 had an error with withholding.but of course it took TA to tell me. She said you have to amend.

35. NCgirl918
      NC
      Bank
      Apr-13
      Apr-16
      Apr-14
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, 4464C Letter

@James: I have seen several on here who filed injured spouse & 8 weeks is the length of time I have seen for most of them.

36. Lizzy201
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • Tax Topic 152

@jemar707: thx!

37. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

I’m still here. I can’t believe it’s been 75 days since I filed. It took me getting a TA last week to finally know what’s going on. Why didn’t IRS just tell me when I called since beginning of March.

38. jemar707
      Ally
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099
    • TC 570, TC 571, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

@Lizzy201: WMAR should update, I don’t think WMR would. But my amended was sent more than 3 weeks ago and it still isn’t showing in WMAR

39. Lizzy201
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit
    • Tax Topic 152

will wmr ever register the amended amount and do we get checks or direct deposits….

40. jemar707
      Ally
    • TC 570, TC 571, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

Head Count — Like this comment if you still haven’t received your refund.

41. EZ2NJOY

Good morning to all!! This tax season is officially over for. My dd hit my NetSpend card last night at 11pm that’s 3 days early. I will continue to pray that everyone gets their money soon. Be blessed!!

42. Payme

@Missourisue: you’re under Review an the IRS can no longer Promise your Refund within 21 Day’s

43. Missourisue

Mailed return in due to someone claiming my kids without my permission. I had 1 bar now it just says we received your tax return and it is being processed no amount tax topic 152. Anyone know what this means

44. THANK GOD...

Yes just went thru it and it took 6days to see message change.on the 10th day it’ll be approved with DID.on that date they will issue your check to be released four days later.so in all a total of 14days.if she said two weeks its true that’s how long it took me.Hope this shed a little light on the situation.

45. James

April 17th will make the Full 11 weeks on my injured spouse return. I e filed return and the IS together and was accepted January 30th anyone else received there refund before the 11 weeks? And has anyone else that filed around same received there DD??

46. Jaybo

My refund was received Jan 30th
    I efiled as a injured spouse

The 17th of April (2 days) will be Full 11 weeks. Any idea when I will ever receive it?

47. Tiffneedsthis$

Yeah! Finally got a DDD for the 18th
    To everyone still waiting… Prayers to y’all! *Hope Marge comes back from that smoke break soon!
    F/A. 2-15
    Letter 4884c dated 3-13 verified 3-21
    Wording changed from still being to is being 8 days later, Nothing til
    4-15 bars are back and ddd 4-18
    Thanks for the support! Lets hope it all goes smooth from here on out!

48. 8793

Where can i go to see if they mailed my check. Irs said my refund was complete and should be mailrd out but that was 2 weeks ago

49. ColeD

Don’t know if this has been mentioned yet. I havent seen it if it has been. But has anyone else noticed that the IRS is now making you create a user name in order to get a Transcript? You have to verify your identity using a credit card or some type of loan to complete the process. I know they were doing this in oder to get the Transcript online but you didnt have to do this before to have one sent. I wonder why they did this.

50. Lady

I had a bar snet I got my ta on March 21 now it say still processing what that mean? Ta not doing his job?

51. GoBlue
      MI
      USAA
      Take Action
    • Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TC 420

@Allymercytoo: you’ll just get the deposit when the IRS sends it

52. LuckyLady

@The IRS Is.Really.Slow.: No I can not view them due to unable to verify my phone number however I ordered them and its blank

53. Jwantshisdough

@Misscass: same here, sent my letter over Thursday.
    Had sent my w2, and last pay stub over 3 weeks ago and then Wednesday my ya had requested me to send over the letter. The hoops they’re making us jump through are beyond ridiculous this year…