When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Allymercytoo

So if you habe a ta will the wmr update for you or do you just get deposited when irs sends deposits?

2. @Nika911

O my stars i been stuk on “it is being” processed forever. Smh JESUSSSS please fix it

3. Misscass

@ I was told to send in a copy of my check stubs my W-2s a letter from my employer I was told to send in a copy of my check stubs my W-2s a letter from my employer saying that I made those wages with a phone number where they can call and verify I’m not sure why the ta would tell you to do nothing this point:

4. The IRS Is.Really.Slow.

@LuckyLady: If it changed this week, that’s good. Even though it isn’t a DDD. Still moving is a good thing. If I had to guess, next week. If there are no other issues. Can you view your transcript?

5. LuckyLady

Good afternoon. Can anyone help? Do WMR update on Sundays because last night I had topic 152 now today nothing but I’m stilled being processed. I had to fax in my 1095 info which I is if. Called Thursday Rep told me my corrected return was finished on 4/5 but still no ddd or bars in over a month? My Tax Rep told me my money might come this week and WMR may not update due to a similar issue like someone else he filed

6. #waitin

@Givememycoins30: I thought I read they had til the middle of May not sure about that but maybe you could fax it.. but yet again I’m still waitin filed 1/19 I just gave up stop calling them called after 60 days they said they were putting in a referral and it could take up to 60 !more days WHATEVER I don’t believe anything they say.. good luck

7. K Michell in Houston TX

@IRSissaMESS: I read in here the turn around after id verifying is 2 weeks for refund. Considering tax season is pretty much over it may actually be sooner (my opinion)

8. Lady

Hello everyone so I got my ta march 31 fax him my w2s so I had one bar up until today now it says your tax return is still being processed im not understand why it go back to that if I have a tax advisory help anybody nos

9. Givememycoins30

Can some please answer me:
    In 45 day review and irs says employer never sent w2 and there was nothing I needed to do. What happens if they never send it after the 45 days. Someone email me the answer please [email protected]

10. IRSissaMESS

After successfully IdVerifying myself my TA called me on Friday and told me that Irs was able yo verify me and that I went to normal processing. He told me it can take up to two weeks before I either get my refund or receive another letter. He says as of right now he do not see an other holds on my account but that can change. Anyone have a idea on the turn around time for processing after idverify to get your refund? He stated that If nothing else comes up on my account for further reviews I should have my refund posted by our next contact date set for 4/23….

11. EZ2NJOY

@Mbry0625: If they really and truly released your refund look for wording change around Wednesday or Thursday especially if it’s been two weeks since the release. If you’re a weeklie like myself you should wake up to an ddd on Saturday for a dd on Wednesday. This is just my experience over the years. The last three years I’ve received my refund in one no more than two weeks after acceptance with my id pin #. Last year I moved and forgot to update my address with them so I didn’t receive my pin# in December like I always do. My return was rejected when I tried to efile. After mailing it in it was a two month turn around. It probably would have been sooner if I had called and checked to see what was the problem. I only needed to id verify and when I did a week later I got a date. I pray you and other get your dates soon. May God bless each of you.

12. DontPlayWithMyMoney

@@Nika911: have you thought about getting a TA?? We went ahead && got 1…tired of waiting….hopefully we’ll see some good news soon 😢

13. K Michell in Houston TX

@Pearlm1: you may be able to if they sign it over to you. But as for the bank account issue. Do you have capitalone bank where you guys live? If so have them go online to chexsystems website and basically put a freeze on their records. Wait 30 minutes then go to capitalone360.com and apply for a checking account. They will get automatic approval. They then can go inside the capital one bank branch and cash their check and also have an open checking account.

14. Mbry0625
      Credit union
      Apr-20
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Weekly

@Maybell: yay. Are you weekly or daily

15. Maybell

F/a 1/29, 2/15 wmr updated to 1541, 3/7 TA, from then irs stated they needed more time, 4/11 TA sent over a taxpayer Assistance Order, 4/12 it was released just checked wmr for a dd of 4/19!

16. @Nika911

so……wmr says.. sorry wmr is unavailable. is that a system thiung or could i be gttng a good uodate? jan 24th filer and tired of waiting cp05 ltter 3 12 18 no update on transcripts since 03 12 18. help any ideas? anyone?

17. Pearlm1

I have a question. My brother and his wife received their tax refund check in the mail. He is the primary, therefore his name is first on the check. Anyway they dont want to cash their check at a check cashing place because they charge too much. And he can’t open a checking account because he’s in chexsystem. So can I deposit their check into my bank of america account if they endorse it to me?

18. Irsblues
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TC 570, 4464C Letter, Weekly

@Kc: probably make you amend?

19. Sheba321
      Emerald Card

Hello fellow waiters:
    …still very upset—
    Make sure that all your card/bank info is safe.
    My HRBlock Emerald card, which I have a long time has been compromised, someone took all that was on to the penny — labeled as ‘Prince Cleaners II’ :(((
    Change your passwords, vipre your computers…..
    I thank God that I do NOT have yet my refund on it —- smh (lol)
    We are staying strong against the fraudsters and the NothandingovertherefundsMarge’s !

20. HellBeast (offline)

#IGOTMYREFUND!
    MFJ
    EIC + CTC
    Filed Mar 28, 2013
    Received Paper Check On April 13, 2018
    Refund Offset by $4,000
    Remaining Return $5,000

21. Kc

I made a mistake when entering my wages instead of putting 1773 I put 5773 and on my way to their off my 4000. I filed February 2nd I was wondering do I have to amend or will the IRS correct my mistake

22. Nicole

No update for me today. Still being processed. Today is 60 days after filing and acceptance. Happy two months to my return.

23. Mbry0625
      Credit union
      Apr-20
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Weekly

@Allymercy: idk has to wait for the computer to spit out a date is what I was told

24. YoshiMoshi

@Chuy: Call 1800-829-1040 1 for English, 2 for Personal taxes 3 for tax history and 2 for tax history. Ignore both prompts to enter your SSN, and you’ll be put on hold to speak to a live person

25. Chuy

No update for me either. Accepted on 29th of January. Got a 4464c letter stating wait 60 days which is up in literally two weeks. Havent called them once but im just about to call this Monday i mean theres only 2 weeks left on my 60 days right! Where do i call to get a live person can someone help??

26. K Michell in Houston TX

@EZ2NJOY: that’s AWESOME!! if that’s the case then here’s to hoping those that have the same or similar situation and sent in IDand ssc process quicker especially since it’s the end of the tax season

27. EZ2NJOY

@K Michell in Houston TX: I had the same issue, but I mailed my return along with a copy of my driver license and ss card. I id verified on April 9 and wording change April 12 and today I got a ddd for April 18.

28. Allymercy
      Indiana
      Card

@Mbry0625: any idea why so long?

29. Mbry0625
      Credit union
      Apr-20
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Weekly

@THANK GOD…: thank you 😊

30. @Nika911

No wmr update to me. Not she bout trAnscripts they still had 3 12 by 971(cp05) something has to give

31. Superkid

No update for me. Filed 2/6 I’d verified on 3/19 got my state (Louisiana) On 4/6. Got the 4464c letter dated 3/29. Hues much 60 days start from that date. I’m at the point of Idgablank anymore. Sigh

32. K Michell in Houston TX

@Mary: I initially sent a copy of my DL and social security card with my mailed in return and started to send a current utility bill with it but didn’t. I too had to mail in my return because of not having access to my ip pin. Per the rep I spoke with the other day he said sending copies of ID and social does NOTHING… 🙄 I don’t believe anything those reps say because they’re the reason I’m dealing with an IP pin anyway. 2012 I was instructed to go in an IRS Office and show ID and to put a I’d theft marker on my account…I was lied to and never should’ve done that and now I pay for it every year in the waiting game. Anyway, my story I mailed return certified mail 2/13/18 but forgot to sign it. It took them 4 weeks to send it back which I received around 3/14/18. I signed and returned certified mail on 3/21/2018 and nothing showed on WMR until 04/05/2018 that my return was received. On 4/7/2018 wmr said return is still processing and refund will be issued …blah blah blah. It still says that presently. I’m sure I’ll have to ID Verify but can’t get anyone for the life of me to actually look into my account to see if a letter has mailed because I have since moved since filing. They just fake looking into my account and give me a generic reply. I know this cause all they ask me is my name, address and social then place me on hold. They don’t ask any additional questions about my return or dependents like they usually do 🙄 sorry for the babble. Tax season is just so frustrating always and all because of a lie I was told 6 years ago smh anyway hope you get a DDD soon.

33. NCgirl918
      NC
      Bank
      Apr-13
      Apr-16
      Apr-14
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, 4464C Letter

@jemar707: I donated this morning. What’s the email address to notify when you donate?

34. Prettyladyte
      Walmart Money Card
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, CP05 Notice, Weekly

Congrats to all who had ddd’s ! Quick question if I got a TA on 4/4 was told I needed to amend but haven’t been able to due to hrblock login issues the developers are working on it I was told but yesterday I checked my transcripts and my as of date changed from 3-12 to 4/30 and my 45 day review will be up 4/30 is there a chance I will update or anything or will I still have to wait to amend ??

35. THANK GOD...

@Mbry0625: Hey you should see your money deposited on the 26th that’s your DDD. You should see your wording change on or no later than the 18th. About that Saturday the 22st you should see a approval bar your 2nd bar.at that moment you’ll have a deposit date for
    4-26-2018. If you get lucky the 27th don’t worry its coming trust me I dealt this year and last year with ALOT of these mine both years drove me crazy but now I got the timing down.Trust me you’ll let us know. In advance Incase I don’t be on here congrats Girly….

36. DontPlayWithMyMoney

Congrats to all that updated w/ddds!! Hopefully && prayerfully my family and I will be next.

37. THANK GOD...

Everybody taxes I filed got theirs a day or two early only two had Netspend and two had a bank account work load cards etc.but all of them received theirs early. Hope this helps you guys and gals…

38. Mbry0625
      Credit union
      Apr-20
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Weekly

@Allymercy: yeah I was released too Thursday but was told 2-3 weeks to generate a date.

39. Jimena2013

I filed 2 years (16&17) and owe taxes for ‘16 will they deduct that from my 17 refund amount?

40. [email protected]

@EZ2NJOY: hope so depends on if it has to go thur a 3rd party i had sbtp bank with turbo tax and a netspend card my refund deposited on the day before which i was under the impression that netspend deposit days ahead that was the only reason i had decided to get the card but hey you never know i hope you get your 💰 early

41. Allymercy
      Indiana
      Card

@Mbry0625: my ta called me yesterday and said that the irs released me but no update on wmr for me today. I really want off island 570 and to be rescued from the irs sea.

42. EZ2NJOY

I mailed my return on February 16 because it was rejected for id pin#. It showed up on wmr on March 13 with one bar lite and being processed. On March 16 bars disappeared and wording change to still being processed a refund date will be provided. I called IRS for the first time on April 2 and was told I needed to verify my identity and I needed to wait for the letter she was mailing out before I call back. I received that letter exactly one week later on April 9 of this week. I immediately call and the nice lady said she was releasing it as we speak. On Thursday morning my wording changed back to being processed and today I woke up to a ddd of April 18. Good luck and God bless everyone!!

43. NCgirl918
      NC
      Bank
      Apr-13
      Apr-16
      Apr-14
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, 4464C Letter

My WMR updated this morning with my DDD of 4/16 and I logged into my bank account a few minutes ago and had an even bigger surprise… My money is in my account this morning. I bank with BB&T.

44. EZ2NJOY

Yayy!! My bars are back with refund approved ddd April 18. I have Netspend so hopefully Monday.

45. Lady*E

This is the worst tax year. Like how the heck you got so many ppl under review and taking your time to review??? Release these refunds already #UUUUUGH

46. THANK GOD...

IT TOOK 5DAYS TO RELEASE THE HOLD ON MY TAXES. ON THE 6th.DAY WHICH WAS THE 10th IT WENT BACK TO THE MESSAGE WE HAVE RECEIVED YOUR RETURN AND IT IS BEING PROCESSED.TODAY THE 14th WHICH IS THE 10th DAY AFTER ID VERIFYING IT JUST CHANGED AT 3:30a.m TO YOUR REFUND IS SET TO BE DEPOSITED INTO YOUR ACCOUNT ON 4-18-2018. TO MY UNDERSTANDING IT TAKES A TOTAL OF TWO WEEKS TO GET YOUR MONEY AFTER ID VERIFYING. GOOD LUCK YOU GUYS AND GIRLS.

47. THANK GOD...

Mine came. I.D Verified 3-14-2018 message on WMR changed on the 4-10-2018 DDD 4-14-2018 for DD 4-18-2018.
    SO I JUST WANT EVERYONE WHO ID VERIFIED IT A 14DAY TURN AROUND TO GET YOUR MONEY. I HOPE ALL IS WELL.HAPPY TAX SEASON TO ALL.GOOD YEAR.GOD BLESS THE ONES WHO ARE STILL AWAITING THEIR TURN.

48. jemar707
      Ally
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099
    • TC 570, TC 571, TC 971, TC 846, 4464C Letter, CP05 Notice, Daily

D
    D
    D
    ?

49. Shona

Hey everyone wanted to say bye for the year I filed March 3rd wasn’t accepted till March 22nd had to mail it in and my cheque was mailed April 13th so it should be here in couple days ,good luck everyone bye

50. NCgirl918
      NC
      Bank
      Apr-13
      Apr-16
      Apr-14
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, 4464C Letter

@DontPlayWithMyMoney: Thank you! I got a TA 3/26, she requested a release 3/30 & transcripts updated today. Hopefully you will move quickly since you have a TA now.

51. Mary

I have to send a paper return because I do not have access to the IP Pin. Am I supposed to send a copy of my Ids/Social Security cards as well. I should have asked the IRS when I spoke with them.

52. Prince&SirMommie