When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

Tax Topic 152   |   Daily vs. Weekly   |   Talk to a Human at the IRS
PATH Act Delay   |   Transcripts   |   Transaction Codes
State Refunds Forum

1. 2Legit2Quit

@Michigangr: I know, it’s been really hard to post fast..lol. But now you know what is going on behind the scenes…but we both know that when they say give it (4) weeks, that actually translate to less than a 1-2, heck I wouldn’t be surprise if you see an update this weekend…if not, then I praying that it will be release by next weekend that latest…hang in their my friend. It appears it will fix itself. I knew no letter had been sent…and none was going to be…smh. I will continue to follow your progress, so keep us all posted ok.

2. Punkin01

CAN someone please help me!!! I updated to Still being processed with no refund amount but still have tax topic 152. What is going on!!!!

3. Kimikaze

@Slyyoub33: Yes- either fees paid up front or free so far. I haven’t seen anyone update yet that the 3rd party banks show received (which they may not until next week)

4. Ineed$$now

@2Legit2Quit: that’s when they signed it but It didn’t show on WMR until the 8th and the rep said I was still processing and nothing on my transcripts.. so I’m not updating this weekend. I think I’m a weekly due to id theft

5. Lisa in Atlanta

I’ve been on IGMR for years..but here is the last 4.

2015 – refund in 21 days – TT – SBBT – fees from refund
    2016 – refund in 80+ days – TT- SBBT- fees from refund – ID verify
    2017 – refund in 200+ days – TT – Fees upfront – Woodforest – Audit – Tax Advocate
    2018 – refund in 14 days!!! — TT- Fees upfront – NETSPEND

So I’m thinking I’m staying with paying my fees upfront and Netspend from now on!!! Donation on the way as usual!! Thanks guys.

6. Slyyoung33

@fingerscrossedforsmoothtaxseason: did you have fees taken out or no ? Trying to see when fees taken out are going to hit

7. Kimikaze

@broke as a joke: Check the line again a little later. I think it went offline for a bit and now people are reporting the debts either being back or saying paid

8. Krissy

Just called muy bank and they have confirmed that muy refund is pending in my account. Unfortunately they don’t release till the actual DDD like the pre paid cards do but that’s ok with me! It’s there chillin till the 22nd! Hopefully good news for everyone else here too!!

9. EricksMomInFL

I’m so excited for everyone who got their money today, without an update.

I just feel personally hopeless about mine. I haven’t seen any movement since last Saturday and never had the PATH Act message.

10. GingerSnap

I don’t know if anybody has answered this question yet because this site is just moving way too fast but I’ll ask again has anybody gotten a deposit with Green Dot or is it all NetSpend?

11. fingerscrossedforsmoothtaxseason

Netspend users with ddd of 2/22. I got mine just a few minutes ago. So the deposits are coming in still. Don’t lose hope if your holding your breath waiting for it!

12. PhillyDilly

@Txmomof3girls: was yours dd on a cartel card lol or reg bank, fees taken out or paid upfront?

13. broke as a joke

Hello, I’ve had an small offset with the state that disappeared this afternoon(it was there early this morning when I called the offset number). Is that a good indication that I’m done processing and will have a ddd soon? I’m unable to view my transcripts online( no cc card, mortgage, car payment etc…). I’ve had the path message until this morning…now just a general processing message with my original refund amount showing. No tax topic. Thank you.

14. Jonnyboy

@TaMara Mallery: thanks. I hope it’s worth it. I don’t need it, honestly, but I just want to be confident that I don’t have to go through the ringer with the irs this year. Just a smooth transition would be nice.

15. 2Legit2Quit

@Ineed$$now: I am really hoping you get good news this weekend and see a DDD. If they got it on the 31st and you still had TT152, you should be good to go. Keep us all posted…fingers, eye, toes and legs crossed for good news :-)

16. Exitingthepath

I am a pather….just checked my acct… pending post from IRS…..yay, the wait is nearing the end..

17. Jmcindiana

@Slyyoung33: we haven’t gotten ours either. We filed through liberty tax. I just called JTH financial and she told me we have a DDD of 2/22 but nothing pending. We do have an offset, will that delay it?