When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Yolo

Some banks will do deposits at different times. I know my last bank it would do electronic deposits at 5am and my bank im with now do them right around midnight

2. sonrisa809
      Ga
      Bluebird American Express
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099
    • Tax Topic 152

@MontereyJack: I agree with you on their fees. The sent me and I never activated it. With Bluebird American Express there is not fee for purchases, there’s is a small fee to withdraw cash from one of stores like $3.$6 or $9. Free if you use the atm that they provide and small fee on other atm

3. Deniseey
      New Mexico
      Greendot "Walmart money card"
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, 1099
    • Tax Topic 152

@Waitingncali: u haven’t gotten urs either wats up with these dam cards

4. DebMom
      Texas
      Chime
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), 1099, W2
    • Tax Refund Offset

@Maigann: path ended 2/15

5. 1Down5Up

@Maigann: actually, I just said that to be funny. The IRS isn’t even open right now for calls. I just wanted to see people sweat 😂

6. Tigerlili_1
      Ca
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • Identity Theft

@mesh: Did you fax them?

7. Yolo

@1Down5Up: have a dd of today the 22nd and just checked my bank account after midnight and seen it got deposited

8. filenwaitnwaitnwait

@Craig: knew I had seen others saying the same, but with it turning midnight on the east coast, figured some may not have seen it. Board moves so fast sometimes, I forget what the hell I was even posting about :)

9. Maigann

@Mxe651: He’s just repeating one of the scripted IRS responses. They only say that to give themselves a little cushion from their phone lines blowing up because some banks do have the policy to hold funds a little longer. Don’t fret.

10. Vee Richards
      Ga
      BMO
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@Ynvro4: I’m hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Have you called the irs to see what the hold is? Have you received a letter?

Mines is wage verification.

11. 1Down5Up

@MontereyJack: exactly the reason I didn’t have it deposited on mine. $1.00 every time you use the card. Daily withdrawal limits. Everything about it sucks.

12. Mxe651

@1Down5Up: I don’t think that’s true because I have EIC and mine is pending and to be posted today sometime

13. Waitingncali
      Cali
      Prepaid green dot

@filenwaitnwaitnwait: im just hoping its there when i take the kids to school in the morning🌞

14. Adryn

@1Down5Up: every year I always see people post about all their stats and I did and I got criticized for it 😔 and I had to defend my self, but then you have the kind people like your self and others that don’t scrutinize.

15. MontereyJack

Netspend is a total rippoff. Huge fees, whether you withdraw or actually make purchases with the card. The only reason anyone should ever consider using netspend is if you’re on Chexsystems or something

16. 1Down5Up

Just spoke to IRS. Have a DDD for 2-22. Was informed that since I have EIC and Path, deposit won’t be until the 27th or 28th. They said a lot of people got DDD for the 22nd, but won’t actually get it till the 27th or 28th.

17. filenwaitnwaitnwait

@greendot: Have had my refund deposited on the Walmart Money Card, which is issued by Green Dot for years. It always comes the ddd at around 3:00 am (mountain time). Never received mine earlier than that.

18. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

Let’s be respectful of one another. Rude and condescending remarks are not needed. With that said I would like to remind everyone to read about How We Moderate Comments (HWMC)
    Excerpt:
    Flaming is anything that is said or done to insult another person. All members are to be treated fairly. If you don’t have anything nice to say don’t say anything at all.

19. Cheryl Peters
      Michigan
      simple
    • Tax Code 570

@Vee Richards: I have the 570 hold was told three or more stories today about the hold and review no other bad codes other than the 570

20. filenwaitnwaitnwait

@Miamyamoe3: It’s odd, seems some with fees and Walmart card did get their deposits today, but I didn’t see any without fees get theirs yet. I didn’t have fees and also ddd of 2/22. About 5 more hours, and hopefully it’s there!

21. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@8793: mines 12am to 10am. I Cannot

22. VA....H&R

Home » You searched for “I have H&R block E.Card .Just got my deposit about an hour ago.I was worry.But it’s coming people.”

23. Waitingncali
      Cali
      Prepaid green dot

@greendot: not for me!

24. Adryn

@sonrisa809: 🤣 someone told me that I have like 5 or six kids to get so much back 🤦🏻‍♀️ so I had to let them know that my shit is legit is all 🤷🏻‍♀️. No need to name call

25. BuckCityBaller

Repeatedly checked my Netspend acct online untill 7:30 pm. No deposit, nothing so i call Netspend and the csr updates my phone # and tells me there is a pending deposit. I hang and instantly receive a text from Netspend with deposit notification enrollment link. I enroll and 30 seconds later, I GOT PAID!!! My advice, call Netspend and update whatever needs updated, worked for me!! (I think)

26. OHHYEOH

No Deposit for me yet, East coast here…
    I wonder if the IRS is just releasing the funds today and it could take my bank a few days to post? I guess I’ll keep stalking my account till Friday.
    The language on WMR is misleading…”sent to your bank by 2/22″…..

27. filenwaitnwaitnwait

For those with a WALMART money card, I know others have probably posted this, but I have had my refund deposited on this card for 4 years. It has NEVER come early, but does come on the ddd about 3:00 am (mountain time).

28. Ellabella92
      CO
      Emerald Card
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Colorado HRB fed deposit right now. Fees taken out. It’s coming guys

29. MackaylaAlexander

People need to calm down. Hardly ever will the deposit come in right at midnight. If you get it 9 times out of 10 it will show up late at night/early morning. No need to jump from the nearest bridge yet!

30. 1Down5Up

@Ashely: no. I was just being sarcastic. My DDD isn’t till the 22nd. I do t get worried if it doesn’t come a day early.

31. G-Money201&

@Kaila: They normally deposit between 4am-7am. I have them as well nad use my bank account for the refund for the last 4 years

32. mesh
      nc
      wells fargo
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2
    • TT 570, TC 971

how long does it normally take for the irs to verify wages? is it possible i may see a update on saturday? wmr is saying received and being processed

33. Vee Richards
      Ga
      BMO
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@Cheryl Peters: good point but they have the PATH hold on there too. Mines has a path and review hold