When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. KisharaiOops

Anyone else having a horrible time on mobile trying to comment here? Or navigate in general? I keep getting a video ad that keeps dragging my page to the bottom every two seconds….

2. 2Legit2Quit

@confused by ofswts: If you know you owe the debt 100% chance it will get offset. All collection agencies has already sent their report to BFS and IRS to flag your refund to code it for BFS with TC 449. If you get your pending deposit and go online it will show in your bank a code on the check pending with 449…for the amount they offset…that is another way you will be able to know before they update or send you a letter. My friend..went into his online account and so the 449 code. He was trying to figure out who took out 1100…he figured it was CS. Which was in error, because he has his child…so they were NOT suppose to do that. It was suppose to be on HOLD…smh. Now he have to wait for them to give it back…

3. Frustrated in NH

So my Jackson Hewitt American Express card was loaded today went out and got a couple things and paid a couple bills. Now i can’t use my card at all. Still have a balance of almost $2000 available. And the AmEx Serve card customer service is no help. Keeps saying their computers are down. Just wanted to know if others are having this problem??
    Swear I’ll never file with JH again. First is was “preapproved” for $1000 and got nothing, then they charge $400 to file with them

4. 2Legit2Quit

@Jess2stress: If IRS take the money out…pay it CS, then dispute regarding what they took in error will be between you and CS. .RS & BFS is DONE!

My friend said it only took 2 weeks to get a check from Child Support when that happened to him…if you are paid in full, then you will get it all back what they took.

Also, BFS system is real time…so CS should have indicated they you no longer owe the debt…so it may not be offset due to that reason. They check the system against the entities in real time before they offset anything. Hopefully they will see that account is no longer in default…and release your refund in full.

5. LoveMy3Munchkins
      Alabama
      Wells Fargo
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@Better late than never: I filed Jan 18 accepted 19 and got direct deposit date this morning

6. confused by ofswts

I have a ddd of 2-22 and have tt203. My whole refund amount shows. What are the chances that it won’t be offset?

7. amy1

@Buckeye89: If we update next sat is it possible we will receive it friday if no fees and netspend like what happened last night?

8. Linda evans

@Jon828: this is what my wmr says: take action
    We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed. You will receive a notice from us requesting additional information within 30 calendar days. You may not receive all or part of your refund until we receive and review the information we requested. If you need more information after you receive our notice, call the number on the notice.
    Please do not contact us until you have received the notice as we are unable to take any action until then.

Please read the following information related to your tax situation:
    Tax Topic 151, Your Appeal Rights

9. Spedmomma

Hey all- I was just cleaning out my junk email and I noticed that an email titled “About your efile” and it showed IRS in initial visible view—just a reminder that the IRS never emails you about your return-so heads up cause I know many of us have been breached in the past-Equifax, BCBS/Anthem, OPS and whatnot

10. 2Legit2Quit

@Imdareasonwhy718: No, this year IRS is behind the scene not making that known that one is associated with your social. If you are aware you owe a debt or not aware it doesn’t matter…you will only find out when they snatch it and you see the refund it less than you expected pending in your bank account.

After the fact, you will get a letter in the mail giving you all that information as to who requested the off, number and adjustment. You notice they don’t give that info like last year on the offset line. Sneaky the way they are doing it. If you don’t agree you have to take it up with that agency…not IRS or BFS. They only did was they was told to do…

P.S. (I’m a girl)…lol.

11. Better late than never

@kiersten: im 2/14 filed I think we are still too early i haven’t seen anyone who filed after 2/12 get there ddd

12. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@Bkim: I was accepted 1/19 also got the letter today 🙄

13. Moneyhungryman
      California
      Bank of america
    • W2

@Buckeye89: I think we’re gonna be under review cause the booboo I hope not. What do you think?

14. MommieOfBoyz

I gotta DDD for 2/22 …got my taxes done with H&R block, im just wondering if they will release funds early? Because I see alot of ppl saying they have there money already & we all got the same ddd just went to different tax places….

15. Jess2stress

@2Legit2Quit: ok so when they see it’s paid in full do you think I will get my whole refund or I will have to wait on a check from child support because my worker said it should come directly back to me but will it come directly from irs or will it come from child support im so confused

16. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Moneyhungryman: ive done the same. I rather have mines on my paycheck.

17. 2Legit2Quit

@MrsPowell: It will be real time. BFS will only take the amount that the reporting agency has in the system at the time they get your refund from IRS. At that exact moment they will match the debt and will pay exactly what is reported. If the agency reported incorrectly…you will have to take it up with them to get any amount due back to you. Notice below…it states “may change daily” that it may even be inactive or deleted…by the agency at any time up to the offset…

NOTE: If it is in your husband name, but you are the primary on the IRS account…it may slip thru…

Also, the refund name line may not match the debtor’s name in TOP, allowing a refund to be issued despite the presence of a TOP debt.

18. Imdareasonwhy718

@2Legit2Quit: so Bro if the offset doesn’t have any debts to your social security number is it safe to say that you dnt have any debts?? If you did owe wouldn’t it tell you if it was paid and what agency it was paid too?? Especially if you didn’t get any letters or anything stating you owe any debts?

19. Buckeye89

@Reallyreal3:
    I am an 0605.

What are you? I think a lot of us just missed th first boatload of DDDs
    Next week it is😎

20. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Me Renee: was that a holiday?

21. Imdareasonwhy718

22. Jon828

@Linda evans: I saw the trascipts and wmr only said we are reviewing your information. It said refund frzee the refund released. I got codes 846

23. Bkim

For the ones with missing bars and the message that sais a refund date when available well I got my identity letter today so that could be what u have to do I filed 1/19

24. Michigangirl1121

So I do have the 570 code as of friday, nothing else bad on there but still no 846 deposit code. I did not update with bars but i have we have recieved your return blah blah, i guess my question is could i still update tonight into tomorrow with a deposit date or do weekly people only update on saturday?

25. RonnieNC

@Moneyhungryman: very smart decision.

Up until last year i was one of those people that got a huge return every tax time. Not anymore.

I make sure i get my money on every weekly check instead. Im not loaning the goverment money just for them to send it back in february.

I might only get like a tenth of what i normally get this year but my paychecks have been bigger all year since im not paying alot of taxes.

26. MrsPowell

@2Legit2Quit: Question about child support offset. My hubby is dealing with an offset from NC child support. What we are trying to figure out is if BFS takes what was only owed during the certification period for federal tax intercept submittals (By Sept 30 each year) or is it like real time updated? His amount was different back in September so we are trying to figure out what will be left of our refund and will it be delayed? Thanks

27. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@2Legit2Quit: remember one of the reps couldn’t figure it out why I would receive this flag if nothing change. I just really hope it moves fast

28. 2Legit2Quit

@Jess2stress: IRS is NOT doing the offset. They are only sending your FULL refund to Bureau Financial Service Division where they then matches the information in their database if the agency reported you still owe a debt, they are going to take it. If the agency made a mistake and did not correct their records that you paid in full…then YOU will have to go directly to Child Support and request they send you back the money.

A friend of mines check his bank and was short 1100 when he saw his pending amount from IRS…it was CS who offset his refund. He has his child and CS was suppose to placed a hold until they got a new order. Well now OAG will have to refund him that amount…directly to him. They did that last year as well and sent him a check…

After BFS finish processing they will notify IRS and IRS will update the wmr with the adjusted amount…also you will get a letter eventually explaining the offset. Well after the fact…smh.

29. Rena

Did anyone use liberty tax and get the easy advance and request a check. They said this was the fastest way to get my refund. They use republic bank but i cannot login. DDD 2-22

30. Curi0us1
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Reallyreal3: thank you so much for responding. You put me at ease. Fingers crossed for next week. Last year tax season was a nightmare for me.

31. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@2Legit2Quit: I didn’t even know until Irs brought up so I went to equifax and checked yes I will be demanding so info it’s my righttttt as a taxpayer

32. Me Renee
      Texas
      Netspend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Tax Topic 152

@Carl Gunderson: screen shot on IGMR on Facebook, or it didn’t happen! Lol@Renee: I will say last year I got my deposit on 2/20, and that was Monday night. I used turbo tax with fees taken from refund

33. Money.money.money2018

@2Legit2Quit: so it doesn’t say the amount and your deposit date anymore? Usually. By the time you get a ddd the offset hotline update to say the ddd ANd the amount taken

34. TexasCandy
      Texas

@Moneyhungryman: I changed my withholding a few years ago. I’d rather have it throughout the year instead of at tax time.

35. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@2Legit2Quit: yea I think it doesn’t show because is an unstoppable without the tc150

36. got my ddd

I filed with h&r block 2/12 was accepted 2/12 checked wmr had 1 bar then i checked it early this morning n it was moved to refund approved with a message saying your refund will be in your bank by 2/22

37. 2Legit2Quit

@Michigangr: I was part of the breach as well. If they seen how you reported for years and nothing changed I don’t get why they keep insisting you have to do that. All the information reported points to YOU as being the real taxpayer not fake one. I would demand they explain their reasoning behind this…I understand they want to protect us against crooks…but nothing CHANGED…smh. I am so glad that did not screw me around…I would be pissed.

38. Jess2stress

Hey I had an offset for child support but I i paid it off so irs want take my money for it and they still did because it doesn’t update but once a week do anyone know how I will receive my money back and will it come from irs or child support

39. Buckeye89

@Moneyhungryman:

Have people that have been filing with Turbo Tax been having more troubles than other companies?

I wonder if they are having you do ID Verify before they process you all the way

40. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Too*tired*to*quit: there’s no negativity lol if i speak on something that truly happened to me its not being negative its being honest. I clearly said its POSSIBLE not saying that’s what it is but it IS possible. Most healthy minded adults want to look at all options instead of head stuck in the clouds with false hope. Go on about your day!

41. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@Linda evans: if it was I’d verify it wouldn’t be 151 do you have access to your transcripts if so what codes do you have?

42. Steffyyy

1/20 I filed with HRBlock online with fees being taken from my return, was accepted 1/22 went to path message 1/23 yesterday (2/16) updated to being processed and today it updated to approved with a DDD of 2/22. I use AMEX Server (have past 3 years with no complaints) Fingers crossed I get it soon!

43. 2Legit2Quit

@Cedes: Yes, but not until after the fact…not before like it use to. IRS has no idea what the BFS is going to do or what they are going to take out, since they no longer control the offset hotline anymore. BFS takes the money, then they tell IRS, then IRS will update the transcripts and wmr…of the adjustments if any. That is why BFS, states it may or may not be offset…based on what the entity reported to them at the time they get your refund. If you disagree with the offset, you will have to contact the entity and resolve it with them to pay any portion directly back to you with a check. IRS has NOTHING to do with offsets this year…it is NOT them doing anything it is BFS…

44. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@2Legit2Quit: nrighg hopefully is quick. I was part of the equifax breach but nothing change so I’m not sure what caused it but I will be asking to see if they can tell me.

45. Hula96734

@Renee: me too same thing and ddd 2/22
    I filed 1/24 excepted same day then path message then your return is being processed then this morn ddd
    Last year I went to oath to still being processed and ended up with a letter to I’d verify. Got the letter on a Saturday and could not call in till Monday , but up dated that sat with a ddd

46. luchacanine

I was a PATHer. Yesterday I had the processing message. Today it’s been approved and set for 2/22. I have a regular bank account so it will probably be on that date! :-)

47. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@2Legit2Quit: hey friend I got 4883c in the mail today after the supervisor swore yesterday one want issue lol…..

48. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Knowitshowit: what?

49. Phyllis_123
      Delta Comm
    • Tax Topic 152

@Qasimja: Did u get you State yet

50. Norm

@Hangin’ N There: Yes this morning, mine updated…Last night was nothing but today in the morning I got my DDD of 2/22

51. Zolele
      South Carolina
      sharonview federal credit union
    • Tax Topic 152

@Moneyhungryman: yes still waiting

52. 2Legit2Quit

Topic Number: 203 – Refund Offsets for Unpaid Child Support, Certain Federal and State Debts, and Unemployment Compensation Debts

The Treasury Offset Program debt indicator (F) is set when Bureau of the Fiscal Service informs Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that at least one TOP debt exists and an offset may occur if a refund is authorized. The presence of this indicator does not guarantee a TOP offset will occur. The status of a debt, at Bureau of the Fiscal Service may change daily. The debt may be activated, inactivated or deleted within TOP before a refund is issued. Therefore, discrepancies may arise from one cycle to the next and IRS may not be aware of a TOP debt.

The Department of Treasury’s Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) issues IRS tax refunds and Congress authorizes BFS to conduct the Treasury Offset Program (TOP).BFS will notify the IRS of the amount taken from your refund once your refund date has PASSED!.

IRS personnel do not have access to the TOP debtor database and cannot tell if a debt exists before a TOP offset occurs.TOP offsets occur after the IRS has certified a refund to Bureau of the Fiscal Service for payment (TC 840/TC 846 on account), but before Bureau of the Fiscal Service issues the refund..IRS manual instruction to rep: not to advise the taxpayer of the existence/non-existence of a TOP debt at Bureau of the Fiscal Service.

Notify by Mail. The BFS will mail a notice to a person if it offsets any part of their refund to pay a debt. The notice will list the original refund and the offset amount, the agency receiving the payment, and the address and telephone number of the agency. Bureau of the Fiscal Service generates a notice on the day they process the payment.

53. Moneyhungryman
      California
      Bank of america
    • W2

@Renee: yeah well I’m changing my withholding. I’m not overpaying taxes anymore. This has been living hell.

54. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@kiersten: what does your wmr stare today?

55. 2Legit2Quit

ALL who are having issues with offsets and TC 203. Please pass this on to others or direct them to this post..Thank you!

IRS no longer is in charge of the offset program. That was transferred to the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS). The offset line will only indicate you “may” or “may not” have an offset. The reason why the wmr is still showing your full refund amount is because that is the amount they sent to BFS. IRS was told by BFS of the offset so when IRS released your funds they put the TC 449 to offset any debt you owed. BFS then received the full refund, matches that against the entity that stated you owed them. If the entity still showed a debt BFS took it out and then sent to treasury to release the balance left.

If the entity showed you did NOT still owe that debt, then they released the full refund to your bank account. This will NOT show on your transcript until AFTER the fact…after the 846…not before. This is why everyone is soooooo confused they are still seeing full refunds no offset deducted. The only way you are going to know if it really was offset is to look at the amount that was deposited to your bank account. The offset line will give you some indication by stating your debt is cleared…or you owe no debt.

56. kiersten

please tell me that there is someone out there who is having the same issues that I am. filed 01/13 and was accepted 01/18. I literally haven’t moved at all on wmr… it just says being processed. I went to Jackson Hewitt where I filed and they told me that the refund was at the bank just waiting to go on the card. that was yesterday but I haven’t heard anything since then and I still haven’t gotten the money yet.

57. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Proudmama385: thats if you order by mail.. Theres an option to view online.