When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

Tax Topic 152   |   Daily vs. Weekly   |   Talk to a Human at the IRS
PATH Act Delay   |   Transcripts   |   Transaction Codes
State Refunds Forum

1. wishing.i.still.got.eic

@patirice16: I have two children, filed 1/22, accepte 1/24, I am a pather, but no EITC. Updated 2/10 with a DDD 2/14 and Satana Barbara Trust received my refund this morning.

2. Mama

@Banks: Well, I e-filed and was accepted the same day by the IRS, on Jan 29th. I have a basic return and claimed my own children, same as I do every year. Ever since I filed, my WMR status has been the same “Your tax return is being processed. A refund date will be provided when available” message. I haven’t had the Path message, and my refund amount with no bars, is on my screen. So I am just hoping for a dd of the 15th or 16th. Good luck to all!

3. NYgive,me,my,money

@noinfoatall: I filed 2/2 and updated to Path on 2/10. Was able to order transcripts on 2/9 with new address. Path doesn’t always mean processed as I’ve seen others getting audit letters with PATH.

4. patirice16

has any one who has filed kids got a date .. I wonder if I will get mine or the same day I got it last year

5. imaninja

So are the people that the path messages changed the same ones that got the first update to path? Maybe they updated to the next step? No clue here and my path message stayed the same. And does everyone keep saying the 15th. Mine says mid Feb, no specific date. Could be later.

6. Soboredlovethissite

I’m usually silent in the background but I’ve got to say…. Its mine not “mines” and something not “some”.

7. wishing.i.still.got.eic

I claim the child tax credit, but I don’t get EITC. Path message, on 1/24. Updated with DDD 2/10 and my money went to SBBT this morning.

@Slyyoung33: probably the cp75, those damn things are popping up everywhere. I was hoping to band with others and overthrow….uh, sorry…hoping to band with others who got the stupid thing and discuss the process. I have counted at least 8 people getting the audit code in the last week or so.

9. yeabuddyrollnlikeabigshot

@Midwest Mama: pwahahahahahahahahahahaha hilarious #i wont care they called me out of my name lol

10. Franklin

Too serious in here. Here’s something to lighten the mood. I washed my red shirt with my white socks, now I have kool aid cololred socks. lol lol no wonder my wife won’t let me do laundry

11. Slyyoung33

@Sheila_33: a friend is being audited I’ll ask what form he got in the mail ..he said he got it the other day in the mail but not specifics

12. Midwest Mama

Yo, I just need this money to hit. I refuse to keep looking at that damn PATH message cause I’m weekly…I’m just waiting on a text from Netspend saying ‘YOU CAN BREATHE NOW B$%#@!!! WE GOT YOUR MONEY!!’ Lolololol! My notification is literally going to read just like that, and as long as they’ve got my bands….I won’t even be mad that they called me out my name. And the Church said AMEN!!!

13. Moneytrain

Filed turbo tax
    Feb 4th accepted feb 4th
    Eic/child credit

Jut ordered both transcripts online

One orange bar no path message

14. Poindexter

THIS IS WHAT I SAW ON THE IRS WEBSITE NOT WMR! WHEN I CHECK WMR IT SHOWS MID FEBURARY! Possible Refund Delay for Some Early Filers:
    The PATH Act mandates that the IRS not issue a refund on tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credit until Feb. 15. The additional time helps the IRS stop fraudulent refunds from being issued to identity thieves and fraudulent claims with fabricated wages and withholdings.
    More information about this law is available on this information page.

15. NoBARZ

Filed 1/29 accepted same day .. Bars went MIA 2/2 ..transcript date shows 2/5 Received in mail YESTERDAY . but its blank so I guess I’m still waiting to process . Will try to order another and see if its blank still

16. Wishing.i.still.got.eic.

Sbbt has my refund. Hang in there, they’re coming.

Filed 1/22
    Accepted 1/24
    I have self employment tax, child tax credit and lifetime learning credits. No EITC. Updated Sat with DDD 2/14. SSBT should send to my credit union today.

17. Needhelp32

@Waiting in indiana: I was told I call the treasury and hey would be able to tell who would get it but the number seems to only be automatic

18. Dmc

Where’s My Refund ‎on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go mobile app remains the best way to check the status of a refund. Where’s My Refund will be updated with projected deposit dates for most early EITC and ACTC refund filers on February 17 so those filers will not see a refund date on Where’s My Refund ‎or through their software packages until then. The IRS, tax preparers and tax software will not have additional information on refund dates, so these filers should not contact or call about refunds before the end of February

19. Tia

@noinfoatall: Did you change your address with the IRS with your tax return? When I did that it took a long time for me to update. They lady says it takes about two weeks that way. This year I went to the IRS office and changed my address with them in person. Lady there says doing it that way only takes 24 hours for your address to update.

20. noinfoatall

Filed accepted 2/1 no updates. Can’t order transcripts under new address. I am weekly. Hoping for transcripts to update this friday. Netspend usually deposits a few hrs after my transcripts update. Last year I had path message and received deposit on 2/16. This year I have both credits but no path message yet, as I’m sure I haven’t been processed. Hoping to skip path all together and see some funds this friday.

21. Jenni

@Georgia Gal: i didnt file until last saturday- i was accepted same day- but i dont have the PATH message…is that bad you think? or becasue i filed lat”er” i may not get that message?

22. Waiting in indiana

@Needhelp32: I’m in Indiana too!! But yea it should be for child support. Def if u had owed more than just this year because they put a hold out the second u go over 30 days behind. And it stays til ur paid current.