When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

Tax Topic 152   |   Daily vs. Weekly   |   Talk to a Human at the IRS
PATH Act Delay   |   Transcripts   |   Transaction Codes
State Refunds Forum

1. Deniseey

How do u guys get them to fax you account transcripts I forgot my password and keep getting my self locked out for the past 2 weeks or is there a way to rest the password

2. Shawn111

I find it ironic how when the wording changes ever so slightly on WMR generally. Something changes… for the better. Been noticing that the last few years.

3. Jersey girl

Good morning! I think some people are getting tax codes that don’t even apply to them..I believe there is a glitch in the system…. Possibly because of the short shutdown the government had… I had two different path messages which is strange… Fingers crossed we all get our money soon!

4. Tatercakes

Well my deposit hit my card a day early took money off put in bank I’m a weekly non panther this year so good luck to everyone🖒

5. NikkiH

@Reneelove: Oh that is some positive insight. I hope that is the case. I also had to send in form 8962 (I think?) – something about reconciling the health insurance credits. That form was a huge pain in the A** to fill out. Lots of math calculations but I did it and sent them both immediately (same day I got the letter). Frustrated JH didn’t even ask me or mention it and I completely forgot since I only had the marketplace insurance for the first 3 months of 2017

6. Georgia Gal

I don’t do drugs but I do get tipsy lol I know my PATH msg changed overnight!! The message I have now is shorter and not as detailed as the 1st one. I’m weekly and wasn’t expecting an update until Saturday

7. jemar707

@tramadoc:

Deciphering your cycle date can be tricky. A cycle date is a code that can be found on your account transcript and corresponds with the day that you posted to the master file. You can find out more about cycle dates in the Transcript Forum or by following this link: http://igotmyrefund.com/groups/transcript/forum/topic/cycle-date-mean/

Or, you can guess based on last year. If you receive your refund on Wednesdays and WMR updates for you only on Saturdays, it’s safe to assume you were a weekly and could be this year. But it can change, you may be a weekly for years, and them be switched to a daily eventually. The reasons for being a weekly vary. Check out this post: http://igotmyrefund.com/forums/topic/daily-vs-weekly/

Rule of thumb is that if your cycle date ends in something other than an 05, you are daily. Weeklies will always end in an 05. But dailies can also end in an 05.

8. Miami33180

Filed using TT 1/28 Accepted 1/29. Stayed at 1 bar until Feb 8th and then got a DD of 2/14. Money posted to SBBT today 2/13 so I expect it will be in my bank tonight or tomorrow. Paid for filing fees using refund. I am a weekly and have been audited twice in the past 10 years. Filed joint personal and home business. Hang in there everyone and thanks for posting your experiences.

9. Reneelove

@NikkiH: Funny thing i didn’t even have insurance lol. So i had to write a letter stating wrong person idiots lol. So maybe that’s why mines took the entire 8 weeks.. Ive been hearing 2-4 weeks from others.. So hopefully yours will do the same.

10. Needhelp32

@Waiting in indiana: I wasn’t for sure how it worked with federal because for the state of Indiana if there is an offet, whatever agency puts the holds first gets their money first. Thank you!

11. tramadoc

I guess I’m confused. My transcript shows a cycle posted of 20180605. Then I have a tracking number, but I don’t know how that works.

12. Waiting in indiana

Ok …so I just called IRS. I got them to my transcripts. She told me I have been processed just waiting for it to be released. I have a cycle date 20180605 processing date Feb 19. I filed 1/23 accepted same day. Anyone know when I should receive then.

13. Sheena

Well I just checked my transcripts, and the cycle # is 20180505, and then next to it says 02-19-2018. Is that the direct deposit date?

14. SmilebHappy

TECHNICALLY it says mid February which is 14th so maybe update tomorrow into Thurs for dallies is my theory and paths will change bars again just a guess don’t shot the messenger lol !!

15. Banks

My taxes were received on the 29th and it still says processing with topic 152. No path message. Is anyone else taking this long who isn’t on path.

16. Jared

I haven’t gotten my refund yet. I just meant when I do I usually leave. But there is some nice people in here may stick around. I’m much better from my cold. That was a bad one. Took like a week. Still coughing up stuff in morning lol