When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Phyllis_123
      Delta Comm
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Tax Topic 152

@Qasimja: How long does Delta Community hold funds and up to how much do they hold

2. Moneyhungryman
      California
      Bank of america
    • W2

@Hangin’ N There: you’ll be fine I don’t have a ddd at all

3. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Moneyhungryman: its possible. Unfortunately the letters didnt come out til about 2 weeks AFTER my 21 days

4. Msb
      TN
      NETSPEND
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@Hangin’ N There: I was just hoping they would feel our pain and release our funds today but I guess not

5. Moneyhungryman
      California
      Bank of america
    • W2

@Renee: I have my taxtopic and refund amount but no bar. Could I be in the same position as his? 2 of my transcripts are bad and the rest are no file returned and 0

6. Akire
      NC
      NC/SECU
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C

@Qasimja: my bank does deposits as they get them. And they are also open Monday even if the irs isn’t. So if the irs released my funds it possible for me to get it before

7. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Curi0us1: happened to me 2016. Errors dept. You’ll get a letter in a week or so if that’s the case.

8. Moneyhungryman
      California
      Bank of america
    • W2

@Hangin’ N There: do you at least have a ddd? This is the last time I file with turbo.

9. Spedmomma

@waiting for my coins: I filed on the 9th of February this year and wouldn’t you know I had the DDD today. Seriously if it wasn’t for this site I would still be filing early

10. Hangin’ N There

@Moneyhungryman: I filed through turbo and haven’t seen my money yet so I believe so. Our money has to be released from Santa Barbara bank once they receive it from irs

11. Naise3214

What does this mean your refund is still being process a refund date will be provided when available?

12. Curi0us1
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

ANY INPUT OR SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED. PLEASE HELP, ANYONE. I filed 02/02 accepted 2/5. 1 bar with we have received your return message with tt152 as of 02/06. No movement until this morning when messaging changed to your return is still being processed. A date will provided when available. No bar and tax topic is gone as well. Still shows my refund amount. What gives?

13. Phyllis_123
      Delta Comm
    • Tax Topic 152

Does anyone Bank with Delta Community if so how long does it take them to deposit I’m waiting on my Ga State

14. Moneyhungryman
      California
      Bank of america
    • W2

@Vee Richards: I’m turbo tax. Are most turbo tax users still waiting or something?

15. Vee Richards
      Ga
      BMO
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@waiting for my coins: you probably are Turbo Tax

16. Spedmomma

@Proudmama385: I don’t want you to feel defeated-I was in your shoes 2 years ago and after seeing so many people file after me and get their returns before me I told myself never to file early again. I’m almost positive that you will have your update by next Saturday. Stay strong and maybe even have an “indoors” camping trip with your precious little ones 😊I’ll be sending the positive vibes your way

17. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Proudmama385: go to IRS website. Try to view transcripts online. You’re looking for account transcript. Let us know if you get it. The codes tell you what’s going on.

18. Hangin’ N There

@Nochoicebut2wait: When you call the offset line and it now says no debt owed, that is because it had already been taken out of your taxes. Now you just have to wait for your bank to get a hold of it and wait for them to release it. Some banks are required to hold your money until the ddd. Hope this helps!

19. Curi0us1
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@NoEmojiPlease: I no longer have a tax topic either

20. 2Legit2Quit

@Michigangr: well what do you know…smh. The letter finally! Well that is good news now you can contact them on Tuesday and complete the verification and hopefully they will release your refund in the next update. Don’t know why they did not indicate that on the wmr or your transcript. It is so hard to figure out their behind the scene tactics…mystery solved..smh. Some progress…wonder why they ID you this year? Did someone try to use your identity or something?

21. N+JinLouisiana
      louisiana
      Walmart moneycard
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

@ragamuffin: I’m in a town called Walker, I love New Orleans.

22. Hangin’ N There

@Msb: I feel the same way! We can’t complain with a date. We filed through turbo and I’ve seen that Santa Barbara bank will not be releasing until Tuesday/Wednesday

23. Qasimja
      Delta Community Credit Union
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Schedule C
    • Tax Topic 152

@Akire: i dont think we will see it til tuesday or wednesday my bank doesnt deposit on saturdays and monday is a banking holiday so that leaves tuesday at the earliest

24. Ms.Small

@Renee: I know a lot of people got a DDD for the 22nd I knew everyone wasn’t going to get the same date. I want to know will there be an update tonight for the 23rd like the did last year

25. Nochoicebut2wait

@Supermom43: The offset line isn’t giving me an amount, it’s just saying there’s no debt owed. But, all week when I called, it was saying I had a debt and yes, I did get a ddd this a.m for the 22nd. Does it prolong the disbursement when you have an offset?

26. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@[email protected]: 😂😂😂😂😂 your comment made me laugh “whatever they’re called” lol glad to know im not the only irritated person with sbbt or whatever lol

27. waiting for my coins

@Vee Richards: i like Turbo Tax

it is great if you get it early, but dont expect until ddd

i waitng for my coins to go on trip and so on………..like winning the lottery, thanx eic

28. Happytobealive

@Cara: I have the same situation, but I don’t owe anything. My full refund amount is there, I called to offset line and it said I had an offset from the Dept of Justice for the full refund amount.

29. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Ms.Small: i got the being processed message after PATH and updated today with ddd 2/22

30. Qasimja
      Delta Community Credit Union
    • Tax Topic 152

Woke up this morning to a DDD of 2/22 i bank with a credit union so i assume i wont get it til wednesday

31. TheOhioPayne89

So based on everyone’s comments I assume this is why Amex Serve system is down “for scheduled maintenance”. I have heard people have been told that they do a “test” deposit before the actual federal refund is credited. So after a lot of people seeing the money in their accounts and not being able to withdraw it and everyone freaking out and calling in they decided to just shut the system down while they do the test deposits so everyone is not seeing the money (test) and then not being able to touch it. Just my opinion

32. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Proudmama385: have you checked your account transcript online?

33. Ms.Small

Will there be an update today for those who got the “being processed” message that came when path lifted? I’m not talking about the “still being processed” message

34. Vee Richards
      Ga
      BMO
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@Momma: SBBT is not releasing funds like other processing companies. We will
    Most likely see Money/Tuesday Wednesday!

Tell your friends and family to not use Turbo Tax. If so file completely for free to avoid that third party. Or pay fees upfront. And turbo tax is shady because they should inform this third party company causes delays. If you email SBBT they will take forever to respond and give you a generic lie. They’re saying the irs didn’t release our funds to them but they did. We’re in the largest group of people who haven’t been released.

35. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@[email protected]: i think they’re closed Monday smh

36. Msb
      TN
      NETSPEND
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Education Credit (8863), W2

@Gotmyddd: would have been nice to get it today so I can empty all these shopping carts I got online😂

37. ragamuffin

@N+JinLouisiana:

Hey, I am from New Orleans but live in another state my mom and Dad live in Louisiana. I miss home so much.

38. Proudmama385

I have been lurking around here for a few days. I am at a lost for words. I feel defeated. I’m a single mother and I am depending on my refund for a washer and dryer and beds and mattresses for my kids. Here’s my background.
    Filed 01/18/18 with the “early” group
    Accepted around 01/24/18
    Bars missing 01/27/18
    Head of household/ 2 kids/self employment

Please, if you know anything that’ll ease my heart please reply. Thank you.

39. KK

@Cara: they already took out the debt owed which is why it says you no longer owe anything. I had the same thing happen to me!

40. Akire
      NC
      NC/SECU

Well still no deposit to my credit union! Still waiting. Maybe later today. If not I guess next week it is….. seeing others get there funds before the DD I am hoping I will too

41. Buckeye89

@Gotmyddd:

Glad for you.

It is simply just a hit or miss of who made it and did not make it. There was also some with issues in are group too. Then when all else fails, it is the IRS 😎

42. [email protected]

@Supermom43: yes i also im aware of the stupid line…haven’t moved all day..plus if u had paid your fee’s upfront then im quite sure you would’ve had 💰 by now but we would have 2 wait until maybe Monday or Tuesday b for our refund hit our card fee’s would need to be taken out first then sbtpg or what ever it’s called 🎅 barbara bank will then deposit it…tax products services

43. Zolele
      South Carolina
      sharonview federal credit union
    • Tax Topic 152

@Rolltide: thank you

44. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@Linda evans: a review should have a different tax topic like 151 for example what does your wmr say? What do you seen yo the left of the screen and tax topic?

45. Michigangr
      MI
      Credit union
    • TT 152, TC 570, TC 971, 4883C Letter, CP05 Notice

@Buckeye89: ok got it!

46. Buckeye89

@Michigangr:

I figured out what my Cycle Date is now 20180605.

Which, from being on here and seeing same people as filing and accepted days (1/31) for both as me, that is was just hit or miss of who got DDDs or did not. I will be calling Tuesday and Friday, but will most likely update next Saturday and have DDD on 3/1

47. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Supermom43: nope. SBTPG is turbo bank. They get the money first if you had fees taken out of your refund. Then they send it to your bank. They won’t start sending til Tuesday at the earliest.

48. Supermom43
      Al
      1-2-3 Reward/U.S. Bank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863)
    • Tax Topic 152

@Money.money.money2018: ok thanks

49. Injured2015 not logged in

Filed and accepted Jan 29. Mailed IS form and received 2-6-18 cycle code 20180505. Checked transcript and do have code 846 under IS form received. WMR has been showing PATH statement for weeks. Yesterday, it showed a simple statement of “received and being processed”.
    Today, it shows the Orange bars, under Refund Approved. “Your tax refund is scheduled to be sent to your bank by February 26, 2018.
    If your refund is not credited to your account by March 26, 2018, check with your bank to see if it has been received.”
    AND then, at the bottom, it says “Topic 203…” your refund may be offset crap.

50. N+JinLouisiana
      louisiana
      Walmart moneycard
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

@nolagirl18: hello fellow Louisiana people

51. Supermom43
      Al
      1-2-3 Reward/U.S. Bank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863)
    • Tax Topic 152

@Renee: lmao!! I saw her earlier… Quick question is Metadata TurboTax’s bank?

52. Money.money.money2018

@Supermom43: if you have an offset you still get a ddd you just don’t get your deposit on the date or lesser of a deposit

53. Renee
      NC
      MetaBank/ Rapid $ Card

@Momma: im thinking Tuesday or Wednesday.. Leaning more towards Wednesday. Well all we can do is wait now.