When does IRS accept tax returns in 2017?

The IRS will begin accepting and processing tax returns beginning on January 23, 2017.

When Can You File Taxes in 2017?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2017.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2017 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2017 tax season (2016 tax year) have been updated with 2017 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

Tax Topic 152   |   Daily vs. Weekly   |   Talk to a Human at the IRS
PATH Act Delay   |   Transcripts   |   Transaction Codes
State Refunds Forum

H&R Block Software

POST YOUR ACTUAL TAX REFUND EXPERIENCE HERE: This is a “user to user” site and the primary mode of support is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. Admin and moderators are not always present or may not have answers to questions. Users becomes more informed when they are here often to read and comment. We call them Top Contributors. We are not a group of experts, merely individuals who have learned more than we ever wanted to know about the tax refund process.

1. Cammie305

How long does it take after being adjusted for a refund will you get your refund? I’m a daily

2. #frustrated

So my friend filed his taxes in February has received 2 letters sent the requested information to the IRS IT’S in April and May the last letter said he would have a response by August 11th 2017 it’s now the 21st and know letters know money. How long can it sit in tax topic 151 and processing or at least on where’s my refund I’ve called several times know one has been any help they say the wait is due to high response..I say this is BS .

3. April6

ok. So I just received a letter from the irs. It says they adjusted my refund, IF I’m expecting a refund, I’ll receive it within 4-6 weeks. Funny thing is the only new code on my transcript is 290. Which is additional tax assessed in the amount of $0.00. Shouldn’t there have been a code for notice issued? How do I know if they approved the refund? And if so, how long does it take to receive my refund after it’s been adjusted?

4. StuckinStowewithnodough

@Flipflop: No. My daughter filed her first return, specifying she was a dependent & someone else could claim her…which if they ever, ever, ever take the time to even look at the return they will see this. There still is no excuse, none whatsoever for people to still be waiting for returns. As I said- if they were gonna implement all these new regulations they should have had the staff to deal with it in a timely manner. And you would think if it is because of her filing a return – it would cross reference. In this day & age of computers there just is no excuse for these delays. I called the state and the woman pulled my return and literally did it in 5 minutes while on the phone with me(this after waiting 15 weeks before I called) I am hoping for everyone still waiting that this eclipse brings in some new, positive energy and lights a fire under the IRS’s butt.

5. April6

@StuckinStowewithnodough: thanks for the reply. I know what 290 stands for. It says it right on my transcript beside the code. What I want to know is, does it usually come before they release my refund? Is it a good thing? Does it mean they’re finally starting on my amended return?

6. Flipflop

@StuckinStowewithnodough: do you think the ex did it again this year? I can’t think of any other reason why they would pick you again. They do catch a lot of fraud but no where near the amount that actually happens. I’m sorry your congressman couldn’t help you. I wish I could.

7. StuckinStowewithnodough

@April6: 290 I/B D Additional Tax Assessment…not sure exactly what type of assessment. Hope this helps.

8. April6

Anybody? Is it a good thing? Is it a bad thing? Does it mean they’re finally looking at my return? Code 290, anybody??

9. April6

Hi, so does anybody know what code 290 is on my transcript. Sent amended, no movement at all other than 971 and 977, amended return filed and sent for processing. It’s been almost 19 weeks now, no letters, nothing, but finally a different code. 290. Does anybody know what this is?

10. StuckinStowewithnodough

@flipflop: I was audited 2 years ago, yes -their father claimed them fraudulently- when I have called the IRS-both of the clerks looked through my records, and said this should not be happening again- and put notes to that effect.Yes, I called Congress and there really is nothing they can do. My letter from the IRS from 2 years ago is on the top of the pile of the 37 pages of information I sent so they have no more excuses for delays once they actually look at my file. And both clerks admitted that the amount of fraud being caught is miniscule because not everyone is being audited, looked over, whatever you would like to call it- but many, many citizens are getting rightfully upset & irritated. There is no excuse whatsoever for what has happened this year with refunds, none. As I have said if they were going to implement these reviews, audits then they should have had the manpower to do it in a timely & efficient matter. if any other business handled themselves this way they would be out of business. If this happens next year I will be hiring a lawyer.

11. flipflop

@Cammie305: Once a case closes, it can take up to several weeks for the refund to release.

12. flipflop

@StuckinStowewithnodough: if I recall correctly, you’re being audited. That 45 day letter you received is computer generated. Computer spits them out when a certain time period has gone by. From what I understand, exam is working on taxpayer responses that were received in the beginning of April. March and April were big mail months. Once they get thru April mail, it should go faster. I know that doesn’t make you feel any better and it angers me that people are waiting this long. Did you contact your congressional reps office like I suggested to you before? If they’ll help, they can get your case resolved right away. Exam hates congressional inquiries! You are a taxpayer and you have rights. If you don’t mind me asking, when you were reviewed before, were you and your ex both claiming the same children?

13. StuckinStowewithnodough

I have been waiting since January 24, 2017…got the “review letter back in April- waited the 90 days…now got a letter they need another 45 days (mind you they haven’t even looked at my return) which begs the question…I would like to know how many more Americans are waiting for their return?? What percentage? I have lost all faith in our system- it is a joke- at this rate I may see a return by the time I’m ready to file 2017’s. I just went through a “review” 2 years ago because of my ex, sent me a letter I passed with flying colors…so this even makes me more disgruntled & upset. I’d also like to know what percentage of fraud (their reason for the delays for most everyone) they have actually uncovered compared to the number of people they have cause serious financial stress. Rant over.

14. Me young

How about this I sent my amended return in on April 17 and it had been 14 weeks. I have been calling and calling. They sad that they got my amended return but has not been started. So I called the tax advocates number yesterday again and this man named mr carpenter said he don’t see it. I’m pissed.

15. April6

Ok, so I filed my amended tax return on April 10, they received it April 12, 16 weeks came and went with no letters or refund, called after 16 weeks, they said give them 30 more days, still no letters, but I checked my transcript today and there is a new code, 290 with $0.00 next to it and the date 9-4-2017. Anybody know what this is about?

16. Cammie305

The examiner closed the case yesterday(Thursday) whatever that means according to the rep I spoke with at the national TA center…..haven’t heard from my TA so hopefully I’ll hear something next week

17. Flipflop

@Questions in Cali: a TA can get a response back quickly. A TA can’t “make” them release the refund but they can find out what the holdup is and what is needed, if anything, to get it released.

18. Me young

@Clarice S Riley: I underatand i sent my amended return April 17and still nothing good luck

19. Questions in Cali

@Flipflop:

I’m just curious to find out what the process is after the request is put in for the refund to released.

20. Questions in Cali

@Flipflop:

You responded to Cammies post earlier….

“@Cammie305: once the examiner gets the 4549 they are supposed to close the case within 24 hours. After that it takes a few weeks for the system to update with a refund date. Seems to me that you need to find out if your TA submitted the 4549 to the examiner.”

…my TA told me she put in a request for them to release my refund ….I misunderstood your response thinking a 4549 was the request to release a refund.

I never had that form nor signed any forms ….

I just was just confused but after I googled what a 4549 was I realized it wasn’t anything I was dealing with.

21. Flipflop

@Questions in Cali: you mentioned a 4549. Did you get one and were you asked to sign it?

22. Questions in Cali

@Flipflop:

Originally Id verification..then income….then audit I think. The TA never mentioned it outright but why else would this take so long. I’ve had her since mid May…… She called Monday to tell me she doesn’t need anything further from me and she’s requested that the IRS release the funds.

I’m just tryna figure out what that really entails. Any ideas ? I pray it does get released….but I’ve been reading around and I’ve seen some people get pushed right back into review.

23. Questions in Cali

Never mind about the 4549 form. I just googled that info. I didn’t have to sign anything like that.

I’m just trying to figure out what happens once a TA requests for the refund to be released.

Can the IRS deny it, ask for more information, request more docs or do they typically release it?

My TA told me this the other day and said I didn’t need to submit anything else….what typically happens next?

Please can anyone shed some light on this for me?

24. Questions in Cali

@Flipflop:

So when a TA states they’ve requested the IRS release the refund, they have a submitted a 4549?

25. Flipflop

26. Cammie305

I’m fed up…seen alot off comments saying contact Congress. How and what would I say? I’m in Miami Florida btw

27. Cammie305

Any1 knows how long it takes after signing the form 4549 will I get my refund? I have TA I faxed get the form back last week but haven’t heard nothing since….I faxed another letter requesting to see if I qualify for the manual refund and haven’t heard anything once again. Tried calling her supervisor she don’t answer or return my calls. And the TA never updates any no progress on my case so when I call the national number all they do is tell me to keep trying my TA number . I’m beyond pissed right been waiting since February

28. Ashhhhhhhk

I filed 2/6/2017, I did the indenity verification the first week of march. I called June 1st and they said to call back in 30 days I haven’t called back but my refund still says “processing” my aunt and cousin are having the same problem. Has anyone exsperienced this?

29. Ashhhhhhhk

I filed on February 6th 2017, I haven’t received my return yet. I called June 1st and they said give it 30 days and if nothing changes to call back. I haven’t called back figuring I would have it by now. When I check it it says the same thing since February “being processed” has anyone had the same problem? My aunt and cousin also says the same thing!

30. April6

@Lacrecia Thomas: basically exact same thing they told me. Can you let me know if anything changes with you? If you get either a letter or your refund, please?

31. George katrinak

I have not received my NC refund. I sent it to NC tax people on February 15 and to date
    have not received it. Every time I check the answer I get is its being processed.

32. Clarice S Riley

I filed April 15 and just received a date for refund 8-16-2017. This has been drooling experience this year. I have never gone through so many changes in getting a refund. I’m. Separated from my husband and he pulled a fast one on me. Everything has been changed and taken care of and finally getting my refund. Lord knows I need every dime including interest, that was a nice surprise. I pray everyone get his or her refund shortly if you haven’t received yet. I’m not a drinking woman but after this I can use a glass of wine.

33. Questions from cali

I Received a voice-mail from my TA this morning stating that she’s requested that the IRS release my refund. Is that a good sign? Or could they take longer after this request?

I filed late January. …..picked up the TA mid May. It’s now Mid August. I’m so over this.

Can any tell me what I could expect after finally hearing this lady say she’s requested my refund be released?

34. Lacrecia Thomas

@April6: he looked me up n said the take action notice was because it’s past my 16weeks then he said let him look at it then he said he’s going to give me a expedited refferal to someone basically they should go fast now I’m top priority but to give it up to another 30 days

35. Lacrecia Thomas

@April6: man that’s crazy I was reading other places that its a generic msg that comes up until a release date comes n could get a check before it updates when I call on Monday I’ll update again and thank you for responding

36. April6

@Lacrecia Thomas: I called this last Monday and nothing. She just said that she was going to put in a referral since they had gone over the 16 weeks and they hadn’t even started on it and no letters or anything. She said to give them another 30 days, to either release refund or to at least send out a letter ( to ask for MORE time?)? Yeah so nothing. And no update for me this Saturday either so going on 18 weeks now for me.

37. Lacrecia Thomas

@April6: same here if you find out anything before I can call on Monday will you let me Kno please

38. msyoung

I so mad right now. I got audited in March did amended return April 17 by tax. They still haven’t started on my taxes. Wtf.

39. Waitinganeternity

Anyone have any insight on why I can’t see anything on where’s my amended refund? My case closed on July 3 and they informed me of how much I was getting back but still no refund date! I have a TA but calls are few and between, like monthly. Been dealing with this since February. I

40. Had_Dem_TwinsNow6

Ga

Check

• WMR:

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Iris Watts: you’ll update this week with ddd

41. Had_Dem_TwinsNow6

Ga

Check

• WMR:

@Stillwaitinginfairburnga: do like I did last year and my sister doing this year advocateds are full of it go to local congress office she turned papers for eic because we live together and she helps take care of my kids and she always filed them bothsince birth now this year proof and all this sent in on 7/25 answer or money by 8/9 sorry to I’m rambling cooking also

42. Had_Dem_TwinsNow6

Ga

Check

• WMR:

Hello everyone long time hope all is well

43. April6

Ok, so I amended my return on April 10th, they received it April 12th, it has been over 16 weeks and when I checked wheres my amended return this morning, it said “Take Action” in red orange letters, followed by, ” your amended return was received April 12th, 2017. However it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please call blah blah blah, you will need a copy of your amended return. No codes or anything. Can anybody tell me what’s going on or has anybody else gone through this? I know they seem to be taking longer than the 16 weeks this year, but other people have at least gotten letters or codes on their transcripts, but I’ve received no letters and the only codes I had on my transcript I believe are 977 and 971, which were amended return received and return sent for processing or something like that.

44. Flipflop

@Msprettyred: audits are taking longer than usual. They’re still working mail that came in at the end of March.

45. Mickphlcp05wait

@isakgodoy 84: Well I got tht same notice back on March 27, review was to be done May11. Called May 25. Had a referral put in. They told me 30-60 days. Called today they now say my wages don’t match. Which I no. Bcuz, I worked for 19 days at a job and did not file tht 1 w2. The lady said today I should have amended my return. So I’m so lost at this point!

46. isakgodoy 84

CP 05 NOTICE- has anyone that received this notice gotten their refund? I received my notice May 20th stating my review date would be completed July 27th. Anyone have comments of their own experiences? Please share..

47. April6

I filed an amended return on April 10, they received it April 12 and I still haven’t heard anything! Yesterday, August 2, was my 16 weeks and I called and the lady said she does see that it will be 16 weeks this week and she sees no movement. She also said to give them until Friday because that’s when they update and if I don’t hear anything to call back Monday because they need to refer me to somebody about why they haven’t done anything and their time is up? What is going on? No letters, nothing. Is this normal?

48. Msprettyred

Ok got a question been going through a audit since April. Decided to call today and the lady said I should hear something by the 8th either a update or my money does this sound right.

49. Ampi

Filed my taxes on Feb and IRS decided I needed to id verify. I Id verified and got rejected by the IRS. They said I needed to Amend my return. On April 16th i mailed a tax rerurn and did not amend because my tax return was correct. On June 30th I had to id verify and thankfully I passed the questions asked. Today my WMR updated with a check to be received April 4th. Yay!

50. Sponge@212

@Ineed$$now: once your T.A. states that they have release your refund the w.m.r site will be update in about 3 days

51. Ineed$$now

@Sponge@212: well hopefully she’ll be calling next week to say they released it.. idk if I’ll be able to check the website

52. Ineed$$now

@Sponge@212: but I have a new refund amount too so I won’t know what amount to put in until my TA Call me to let me know I guess

53. Sponge@212

They will tell you that the irs have released your refund you will need to wait until irs update it….soon after you will c an update on w.m.r. site with a deposit date

54. Sponge@212

@Ineed$$now: a T.A. only tell you that they have released your refund he or she could not say when you will receive it…

55. Ineed$$now

@Sponge@212: I don’t think they have updated my address yet so I won’t get it.. so I’m kinda just waiting until my TA call me and let me know when it’s gone be in my account. Hopefully she calls sometime next week

56. Sponge@212

@Ineed$$now: go to the irs site and order one using order by mail it would take about 7 to 10 day’s

57. Ineed$$now

@Sponge@212: don’t have one and I have a auto loan out but my account number doesn’t match what the irs has

58. Sponge@212

@Waitinganeternity: anyday…keep checking your mail or bank if your refund is going to your bank or a card it could pop up anything on you perpaid card or your bank card

59. Sponge@212

@Waitinganeternity: nope…they will not have that information if they do they will not release it to you..

60. Sponge@212

@Ineed$$now: try to check your transcripts online thur irs website set up an account but u must have a valid credit card just for identity purposes its free no charge

61. Sponge@212

@Bec: weird i thought irs don’t call tax papyers they only send out letters..but anywho 3 month’s is acceptable time because it really could take up to 4 or 5 month’s year’s ago it took me about 3 month’s to get my son father’s money that he had owe for back support then that following year it took about 2 month’s. And also you could call the offset hotline if they have already credited the pass due amount to childsupp then just wait another month or 2

62. Bec

How long does it take child support enforcement to receive money intercepted, my ex filed 3 months ago he filed single with our son as a dependent, irs called him last Wednesday and my sons social security number was wrong so they got it all worked out but when will the money be sent to child support enforcement in va

63. April6

@Heather c: i filed my amendment April 12 and I still haven’t heard anything. 16 weeks for me will be august 3, so you must be off on your dates. I heard that they are taking longer this year though.

64. Ineed$$now

Irs finally agreed to send my refund out now we are just waiting on the system to update with my new amount and refund date. Hopefully that doesn’t take long .

65. Ineed$$now

@Waitinganeternity: or just call coustmer service and see do they see a ddd on your account .. I wonder why it doesn’t have a date . That’s crazy

66. Waitinganeternity

@Ineed$$now: My TA said she doesn’t see a release date yet. I looked closer at the letter I received and it said in the next 2-3 weeks. The letters dated for June 26. Can I call the Treasury and find out?

67. Waitinganeternity

I’ve been waiting since February for my amended return to go thru. I’m working with TA. My case closed on July 3. IRS sent a letter of how much my return will be but no release date. Anyone have any idea when I might be receiving it? Tia

68. StillBlessed

@StuckinStowewithnodough: Exactly, this world is so money hungry for other people’s money. Somebody makes a nice interest off people money that is held back in the bank by the IRS and other forces.

69. Bite me ME

I mailed my tax return 3 months ago. And I have called 2 times. The best part is regardless they had it for 8 week when I called the 1st time- nobody bothered to tell me it was going to be held another 6-8 weeks on top of that! This is the biggest crock of shit I have had the IRS pull on me- thank god I wasn’t counting on my refund for shit. At this rate I should have it by Christmas!

70. Flipflop

@Pal: you should call the number on your letter and ask them to explain to you what the error or problem is. Ask why the eic is being removed.

71. Questions in Cali

@Ineed$$now:

Spoke to the TA yesterday and the income verification I sent in wasn’t enough for the IRS and now I need to submit my return again to her with a HSH Next to line 7 of the income and wages.

She explained that it meant I was a household employee and I only made w certain amount for thr year and have to claim it as so. HSH is defined as an house hold employee making less than 1900 ….which I made more with that one person between other contract jobs throughout the year.

After getting off the line with her i did some research and found out that I Should have possibly been given a 1099misc although i am an independent contractor and could be penalized for it. Im still really confused by this and upset that I can potentially be in trouble for this.

She also explained that if the irs doesn’t accept this that I’ll have to file a 1040x but I won’t know if they accept this she said for at least 2 more weeks and that’s once she submits it on Monday.

I’m so over this. I havent filed shit different in over 10 years and have never had any issues in my 21 years of tax filing….so this is beyond me at this point.

72. Pal

Please help. I received a letter stating the EIC credit was dismissed and I’ve been penalized for and received a large amount to pay back. This is my first time going through this and I’ve been a victim of identity theft a while back. The tax office in which I got my taxes done ia currently under investigation. What should I do on my part I’m sure there must have been a mistake added to my return that I didn’t approve of but I have no way of knowing. I just want the amount dropped or decreased I don’t want to owe

73. StuckinStowewithnodough

@Flipflop: I actually got a little headway today- called the state office and the woa processed and released my return while talking to me, literally took her less than 5 minutes(which is all it will take the IRS if they actually do it). She admitted they had been concentrating on homestead & property taxes and that was why there are so many delays. I then called the IRS and the woman who helped me told me they sent me another letter needing another 45 days, yet it has not even been touched or looked at. She also saw how I had been through this 2 years ago and passed the audit with flying colors and made note of it, admitted it was a complete waste of time to be putting me through this yet again. She said if it were her she’d be calling weekly, that the amount of time a lot of people are having to wait is unexceptable. She had put in a request to expedite- but if not I am now looking at possibly until August 29 before I can even get a TA. So the people answering the phones are temporary workers & are not the ones doing the processing. She also said that now that the state approved & released it is more apt for the feds to do the same.

74. Questions in Cali

@Ineed$$now

What is the paper you need to turn in?

My TA has has my case for 2 months now and still nothing. Good for you.

75. Ineed$$now

Finally!!!!! I got a TA and I have to send this paper in and I’m going to get my refund ASAP! She said it’s crazy I’ve been waiting since February for this .. I’m so happy right now that’s something it’s finally happening .. request a TA!!

76. Donna1988

Finally after all this time waiting since April 3 for id verification finally got my check today

77. Questions from cali

Does anyone have the number to the cp05 line? I lost my letter and when my phone broke the other day , poof, there went my phone contacts.

Anyone? Please and thank you.

78. StuckinStowewithnodough

@Flipflop: Yes. And am writing a letter…although it won’t make a bit of difference is my difference. Bottom line is they should not have implemented al these new review systems if they did not have the man power to process everyone’s returns in a timely manner. If that is in fact the case. i have seen one to many people on here or in my life that are put at severe financial hardship because their wages are low and they count on the refund to supplement their income. Good, hard working people. It’s just not ok. It is the lower income population that for the most part benefits from the EIC. The little bit of interest will not help people if they have already lost their home, or are about to. Something seriously needs to change.

79. bigE

hey how do i speak to a real person on the phone about my refund. every time i call it just a robot spitting out information that isnt helpful, im in miami dade, can you help?

80. StuckinStowewithnodough

@Flipflop: Yes…I’ve done it all. It’s just a big, huge run around…so done with it all. Letter said if I didn’t hear anything by 7/20 they had everything they needed. Haven’t gotten a letter but I am sure as hell know there will be some other delay. All I know is something needs to be done with whatever is going on in state tax offices & the IRS…if anyone else ran a business like this they’d be our of business. Reality is it’s a bunch of excuses & delays.

81. Ineed$$now

@Sick of waiting…: I feel you .. it’s crazy .. knowing people need there money

82. Questions in Cali

Can someone provide me with the cp05 number. I can’t find the number. TIA.

83. Sick of waiting...

I mailed my return may 24 2017. June 23 wmr stated it had been received checked back June 30 no bars and all it says is refund is still processing. And here it is July 18 same damn message I’m so fed up with the IRS.. every year it’s something with these people.. when can I expect a ddd.. no papers have came in the mail and no offsets really whats the hold up..

84. Ineed$$now

@StuckinStowewithnodough: yeah that’s crazy and so true and we are the ones telling the truth and doing everything right. But yet we still waiting smh

85. StuckinStowewithnodough

When you’re beginning to think you probably won’t see your refund until you’re filing for the next season…there is something seriously wrong with the system…not just at the federal level but the state level too…and the only way they’ll actually catch any good amount of fraud is if they audit every single person- I know a neighbor who for a fact is claiming kids fraudulently, not claiming income & they slid right through- got their refund in the timely manner of 6 weeks…while so many f us still wait with noe end in sight…

86. Ineed$$now

I’m over here going crazy.. the irs told me to give them 30 days the 30 days is up and still nothing then they said the referral was sent to the wrong people so I’ve wasted 30 days .. nothing has happened .. like I’m so over it.. I’m so not happy with the IRS they are so useless!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is crazy and now I got a TA if I would’ve know this I would’ve been for a TA!! This is crazy man ..

87. Cherie Williams, CPA

@Heather c: I would suggest that you call them for a status update. Even though they say 16 weeks most amendments take a shorter time.

88. Michael

Is this right? I’m waiting on tax return done it online last Thursday night and was told up to 5 working days which would be today and it’s not in they saying it goes to back a day or 2 before it clears on my account

89. Melinda

@Jess: did you find out why you aren’t getting the full refund? My accountant allocated my funds wrong. I went through thr same thing. Im still waiting. I originally filed 2/22, got half my refund finally in mAy and submitted the allocation correction and am still waiting.

90. bobbymcgee

i filed first of febuary got and audit sent in everything i needed but found out this past week that they need a little more info….they have been really nice here lately and i just got ahold of my TA to help me first of next week hopefully no that i have a TA it will be done soon. i got audited 2014 for filing the same way and was approved then been filing that way ever since and last year was fine……the irs is being very understanding of my case here recently, reviewing the 2014 audit and i hope that is a sign of them wanting to complete it quickly has well….i will check back on here every once in a while with status updates for anyone interested.

91. Heather c

I sent my amendment in and it was received 4/24/17 but there has been no change to the status on line – it will be 16 weeks as of august 7 how do I find out what is going on ?

92. nina2007

I checked my refund status 2 days ago it said it was approved and offset by previous year taxes and I would receive a check this friday. I called in yesterday to ask why am I getting a check instead of DD. Was told because its a prior year, a check is mailed. I check my refund status this morning to confirm amount it says my return has been received. I called IRS and cant get passed automated system. I got confirmation from rep in payment department that I do not have a balance. Is this just a computer glich?

93. Ineed$$now

@questionsincali. Yes man it’s just crazy I’m so tired of waiting.. and me and you both I could really use the money I would be in a better place right now if I had it and I know the irs could do better than what there doing I’m sure of it!! Just tired of waiting and hearing all the excuses

94. Questions in Cali

@Ineed$$now:

I know the feeling.

I’ve been waiting since January. After months of no movement I finally called in May and had a TA appointed …..2 mons later…..I’m still waiting.

I am in the process of being evicted and I could use that money more than ever at this moment.

I hope when you call Friday or Monday you get the Ddd you are looking for.

95. Ineed$$now

Omg! Like I’ve been waiting since February!!!! It’s July 😩.. they say give them 30 days which that’s up Friday . And still nothing so when I call Friday or Monday I hope they give me a DDD! I’m tired of waiting . I’ve done everything I can they have all the information and everything else they need.. I just don’t get it

96. Flipflop

@StuckinStowewithnodough: there is a lot of fraud, mostly with EIC. Examination catches a pathetically small amount of it. They can’t audit everyone. Like I said, I hate seeing hardworking people getting screwed over. I want you to get the money you rightfully deserve. You’ve been on here a long time patiently waiting.

97. StuckinStowewithnodough

@Flipflop: I think that’s a great suggestion! I truly get them having to be more careful, etc-etc- but if they’re gonna implement that than they should have proper staffing numbers to handle it quickly & efficiently- I have seen one to many people, families be put in severe financial conditions over this & it is just not right. And I honestly do not believe they have stopped any fraud, or EIC that was claimed that wasn’t supposed to…or not enough to justify this mess everyone has been dealing with. Just a hunch. And I also believe a lot of it is stalling tactics for one reason or another. I do really hope they pay interest for making anyone wait so long-that at least is a step in the right direction. I do respect you keeping your sources private. I hope this coming year will go much smoother for everyone!

98. TammJamm

GoodMorning Everyone Quick Question Does Anyone Know If The IRS Will Actually Mail My Refund Out On Monday As The Website Says Or Was It Mailed Out Yesterday More Than Likely? It Says Mailed Out By July 10th

99. Flipflop

@StuckinStowewithnodough: I’d rather not go into how I know what I know. No one here believes me anyway! lol Anyway, I sure do understand your frustration and frankly I’m more than frustrated myself. I hate to see good hardworking people getting screwed with. I do have a suggestion for you and anyone else here that has been waiting for a ridiculous amount of time. Find out who your representative is in Congress and call their office for help. The IRS answers to Congress. They will GET IT DONE! Don’t be angry when you call though. You catch more flies with honey! Let us know how it goes please.

100. Curi0us1

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Questions in Cali: hey. Nope, no TA. I don’t qualify

101. StuckinStowewithnodough

@flipflop: Do you happen to work for the IRS on some level, or have a friend or relative who does to know all this information? It is happening at the state level, too. I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way but it is beyond ridiculous this year. Yes, I suppose I am being audited, reviewed…I was 2 years ago because my ex also claimed the children & I received a letter from the IRS stating I was clear for the next 4 years-that letter went on top of all the other information I sent in. It just is beyond frustrating when I have family, friends who are going through the same- sent their information in after me and they have gotten their refunds from both state and federal already. So there doesn’t seem to be a system of they do them in the order they receive them. Also going through it 2 years ago mine should be very straight forward & the woman who I spoke to at the IRS said so, was surprised I got pulled again & even made notes to that fact, flagged my file. So I hope you can understand where my frustration is coming from & also the fear that I may not see any of that money until next tax season at this rate. I work very hard, am a single mom who supports both my children with no help whatsoever from their father, so this is a very big deal to me, as I know it is to many,many others.

102. Curi0us1

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Sheila_33: hey hun. So sorry to hear that about your husband. I’ll kept you both in my prayers and hope for a speedy recovery. As for my situation. Per my last notice I was suppose to be done by 7/1. Obviously I wasn’t so I called today and they are indeed way behind. They’re still on march. They didn’t receive my faxed information until 4/17. I don’t know when I’ll get my refund now

kansas

• WMR:

• I Got My Refund!

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Tax Refund Offset

@Curi0us1: hey hun. Husband is back in the hospital again. Can’t get his blood pressure down. Have you heard anything? From what I’m reading it looks like they’re understaffed and very far behind. Hope I hear from you soon.

104. flipflop

@StuckinStowewithnodough: Oh they are absolutely short staffed and those in the examination department are doing the best they can (you’re being audited, right?). Management doesn’t care much. They’re just number crunchers and have no clue as to what the job entails. It’s incredibly frustrating to have literally hundreds of cases to work on where people have been waiting months for an answer and half of the work shift is spent taking calls from those same people asking what’s taking so long. No examiner wants to be sitting on hundreds of cases. They want to get them done and closed. The ridiculous process and the amount of time left in the day is the enemy. You can’t win. And yes, they will pay you interest.

105. flipflop

@Jess: 1. not likely and because you’re in a community property state, except for EIC, the refund gets split 50/50. No way around it. EIC gets allocated based on each spouse’s income. 2. that timeframe sounds about right.

106. Marcia Leventhal

I ammended my return received april 13, 2017. it is for a hctc of over 6k plus. i had to resend endless backup with certified letters for traa and paycheck stubs. i gave it to my accountant who failed to do this so i had to resubmit the proof. it was adjusted
    June 23, 2017. it said in three weeks from this date i should receive a notice about adjustment. DID THEY ACCEPT IT. ARE THEY SENDING a check??

107. Moodoe G

My TA advised me I could amend my return with the 1040EZ form since it’s just me and my W-2s . I Did arhat Today Sent It Over she Received it and said I should get my refund quickly but never gave a specific time frame.. can someone tell me how long an amended return takes and does it slow or speed process since I was told to do amend with 1040EZ Form ??

108. Jess

Texas

Injured Spouse

My IS claim was approved a few weeks ago. Not for the full original refund amount. So I have 2 questions. 1. Is there any way I can get the full refund amount? And 2. They said it would take 3-4 weeks for me to receive my check, is that an accurate time line in others experiences? Please help. Tired of dealing with this. Thanks a bunch!

109. StuckinStowewithnodough

@Flipflop: I understand they are short staffed- it does make me very leary that if they have no money in their budget to hire more people than logic says they have no money to make the payouts and that is what is really behind the absurdly long drawn out process it is taking for so many this year. I feel at the very least they should be paying interest to us, we would have to if we owed them money. To be more than halfway through 2017 and closer to the next filing year it seems ridiculous to me to take so long. And as with everything in our government today I have to question if they are actually short staffed- with no disrespect, but I have lost pretty much all trust & faith in anything government related.

110. Questions in Cali

@MG2770:

I’m able to access my sbbt account again. No changes but it’s back up. Have you checked yours lately?

111. Getthisover

Tax return is still in review IRS sent letter to send in w-2s check my return and I did make a mistake to where I owe them is it ok to amend

112. flipflop

@Ndouville: 12-14 weeks. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. Depends on what your amending.

113. Ndouville

If anyone has done an amended return have you received your refund yet? About how long did it take?

114. Being patient!

@MG2770: i hope so too this isn’t making no sense whatsoever i hoping and praying for the both if us and everybody thats been waiting a long time.

115. MG2770

@Questions in Cali: I believe that you are correct about Sbbt. This has been a long process

116. WhyMe?

My Tax Advocate finally called me today and informed me they adjusted my return and faxed me the 4549 form. I sent it back to her and she said she is going to send it to the examiner. How long does it usually take to get your refund after you send back the 4549 form?

117. Questions in Cali

@Ashes: @MG2770:

Same here. I wonder if our info is dropped after not having received our deposit yet.

I’m still waiting on my refund from 1/17 … Still waiting on my tax advocate to push this to a close.

118. MG2770

@Being patient!: I really hope that it’s sooner for the both of us. This is driving me crazy. I haven’t received any additional notices

119. Flipflop

@Being patient!: is this for an audit? Is so then yes, they’re working on responses that they got in late March early April. Guess it’s more like 120 days instead of 90. Those letters with a completion date are useless!

120. Being patient!

@MG2770: you are welcome thats how long they told me and my 90 days bout to be up in july but they sent me a letter in may the 1st saying they should be finish by june 24 and nothing still. I call last weds and she told me no one has not started on it yet i was piss at this point and then she said they are back up and they are still working on other people responds from the end of March early week of april i was like wth. She said give it other 4-6 weeks for them to finish omg really!

121. finnrose

We received our IRS check yesterday. Finally deposited today after exactly 6 months from the day we filed.

That was a stupid wait. I’m glad it’s over.

Good luck to everyone!

122. Ty

I have a DDD of 6-28-2017 and bank with h and r block when do you think the funds will post to the account??

123. Questions in Cali

My info for TPG doesn’t show up anymore.
    Does anyone know what it means ?

124. Flipflop

@Elizabeth Spaulding: sounds like she needs to contact her State dept of revenue not the IRS. The “accountant ” can’t call for her and get answers unless he or she has power of attorney to speak for her but any good accountant will certainly assist, not just throw a bunch of numbers at you and basically tell you you’re on your own!

125. Elizabeth Spaulding

My friend did not receive her State refund yet. She went to a certified accountant (for years she’s been using the same person). The person took her fee, did the paperwork, my friend got her Federal refund but as far as the State is concerned, she received a letter indicating that the IRS needed more info. She gave the letter to her accountant and was told “Call the IRS at one of these numbers, they want to speak to you”. She gave her quite a few numbers (as well as the main one)

My friend called the numbers on numerous occasions as well as the main one, but cannot reach a live person. She can’t get through to her accountant either. She is extremely anxious. She thinks she made have been ripped off. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks much

She just wants to know if she has any recourse if her accountant never replies by phone to her voicemails. This person took her money and then said “The IRS wants to talk to you, call them up”. This is possible? How can a person actually reach the IRS to find out what exactly is going on? Thanks much to anyone who can answer this question.

MelodyL

126. Flipflop

@StuckinStowewithnodough: they are short staffed and there’s no money in the budget to hire more people. It’s only going to get worse. Most of the same people that work amended returns, injured spouse, audits, referrals, etc. are the same people that answer the phone calls. The more people that call, the less time they have to work the above. When the phone queue slows down they can pull some people off the phone to get the other work done. Tax Advocates are overwhelmed with requests for help. It’s all a waiting game now. They’ll get to yours and everyone else’s who’s waiting….eventually. :(

127. WhyMe?

My tax Advocate is useless. I called and spoke with the irs today and they told me they didn’t get my info until I faxed it to them in 5/31/17. Even though I sent it to her on 5/12/17. They told me I should be getting another notice soon. Well I got it and it says they got my paperwork but need until 8/14/17 to finish. This is crazy. I filed at the beginning of April. I called and got her supervisor info but the people at the tax Advocate Hotline was trying to take up for her. They were lying to me about when she was suppose to send referrals over. I’m done. It will be Halloween at the rate this is going before I get my money.

128. StuckinStowewithnodough

Filed on January 24th-received 1st letter on April 20th was being ‘reviewed’-faxed everything they asked for and more- received letter they received it & they will be in touch by July 15 if they need more. Went through this 2 years ago- got a letter from them stating I was all set for 4 years, sent a copy of that letter with all other paperwork to them. Filed my VT State return also & still waiting on that, just get a message of ‘up to 12 weeks due to high volume” 12 weeks came & went long ago…All I have to say about both the federal & state level tax departments is they need to get their stuff together…in this day & age it should not take so long for ANYTHING to process or be ‘reviewed’- hire more employees, or ones that actually do the work quickly, efficiently- I have heard the same horror story from to many- if we owed them we could not take ‘up to 90 days’ or ’12 weeks’ with our hands over our butts to pay them…so damn frustrating. And you call, get an advocate & it’s the same story- anyone else ran their business this way they’d be out of business.

129. Flipflop

@WFAT- (Waiting For A long Time): do you know for a fact that he was entitled to refunds for both of those years or is he just telling you that? If they filed separately for 2016 maybe there was no refund due to him for that year. If they filed joint for 2015 and she filed injured spouse, once again it’s possible he wasn’t entitled to anything. It’s also possible that at the time there was no debt indicator on his account at the time his returns were filed so in that case there would be no offset and if he was entitled to a refund it would have gone to him. Do you believe what he tells you? Sounds like your wife has to contact the child support office to find out the real story. It shouldn’t take this long (at least for the 2015).

130. WFAT- (Waiting For A long Time)

I have a question for the group. My wife’s ex-husband owes us back child support money. We went to the Mississippi child support office and they set him up for monthly deductions of child support. He still owes us many thousands of dollars. We were told that we would receive his tax refund money to help pay for what he still owes us in back child support payments. We received his state tax returns for the years 2015 and 2016. We have not received his federal tax refund for any year ever. We contacted Here’s what we know: My wife’s ex told us that he received a letter from the US Tresury that said his return would go to us and not him for back child support payment. The funds were set to be released according to the US treasury but then the funds were suddenly pulled back to be adjusted because his wife filed the injured spousal form. This all happened in August of 2016. Since then no funds have ever been released to us including including this year’s refund. Note, they filed separately for 2016. So to summarize, we have not received the ex’s 2015 and 2016’s federal tax refunds. (These refunds total around $6000 plus dollars). Has this happened to anyone? We were told that it could take up to 6 months for the funds to be released but it’s already been over a year and no one can tell us anything because it’s his return that’s in question and not hers.

131. Curi0us1

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@msyoung: I received that letter back on May 8. I don’t think the refund will be released next Saturday on the 1st. I won’t be surprised if I get told to wait another 45 days.

132. Curi0us1

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Sheila_33: don’t apologize hun, it’s not your fault. I actually did call them a couple of weeks ago since I noticed that there’s been no change to my transcript since the 420 code in March. The gentleman confirmed that my fax was received and I should hear back by July 1 but they’re 2 months behind and haven’t reviewed them yet. He said he can’t say whether it’ll be done by July 1 as the notice said. Smells like another delay to me. Do you agree

133. Curi0us1

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Flipflop: Yes, I’m aware of that part and don’t have an issue with it. My audit began in March. Was sent a notice that they should be complete by July 1. My question is being that July 1 is next Saturday and I have yet to receive any additional notices should I expect to be delayed again

kansas

• WMR:

• I Got My Refund!

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Tax Refund Offset

@Curi0us1: you’re getting close to that 90 day mark. I honestly think I would call them. At least they can at least see if theres an update on transcripts. This is so ridiculous. Same info same dependents. So sorry hun