When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Lakenlondynsmommie
      Illliinois
      Alliant Credit Union
    • Tax Topic 152

@2Legit2Quit: when did you file. I cant access my transcripts and I changed to Path 2/3 now I am “i received your return and it is being processed”. I have been weekly. I filed 1/31

2. Money.money.money2018

@hopefulformoneysoon: mine still says could be. If it’s not there maybe they paid it

3. lwortham

@Vee Richards: I dont think so. I had fees taken out and got a DDD this morning and the way I understand it SBTPG will hold until at least the day before. So much for using my Paypal Mastercard for early deposit. I should have just sent it to my regular bank lol

4. Buckeye89

@What Do You Know:

What is your Cycle Date?
    I along with taxpayer2013 are 20180605.
    His updated today, because we are both weekly

THEY SEE IT, THEY JUST CANNOTBSAY IT. But some do not care and tell you anyways

5. OverlyCrazyOlivencia
      Massachusetts
      Chime - Bancorp
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

@hopefulformoneysoon: if you had one initially and now it is gone, you are clear!!! Congrats…

6. bonebaby

@Mbry0625: what have you been told on this 570 code. this is CRAZY. and for so many of us to have the 570 code. its strange.

7. TabbyDallas
      Woodforest
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Charlyse: me too..same bank

8. MyssMo

I am not able to create an account to view the transcripts online, I am at work so don’t have the time to call IRS and try convince them to fax me my transcripts. I was able to order both the return transcript and account transcript to be mailed to me. Does this mean I am done processing? Or is it possible that I can order them but they will show up blank if I am not done processing?

9. 2Legit2Quit

Well my IRS refund just hit my credit union…pending for release…wow that was fast. Everyone check those accounts…

10. hopefulformoneysoon

For people with offsets. Is the offset hotline telling you your debt has been paid or no debts or offsets can be found? Mine says no debts or offsets found for this social security number. Am I in the clear?

11. queenofheartss
      michigan
      SBBT and turbo
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

I love how sbptg states on their website they do not hold refunds and release them as soon as they are received but that is not true … other wise everyone w netspend credit unions etc w the same ddd would get their refunds dropping early lol.

12. Seemslike4ever

@2013taxpayer: my it’s.gov message also updated to we have received your tax return and it is being processed.
    I saw someone comment that processing and processed are different. That processed might not be good.
    Thank you for properly explaining your experience. I can not see transcripts. I will be up all night with a coffee redbull cocktail.

13. Mandie
      Colorado
      FirstBank

@woodysgirl89: Were you able to check SBBT beforehand for an update?

14. 2013taxpayer
      UT
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, 1099, W2
    • Tax Refund Offset

@Buckeye89: I have the same cycle code

15. Hveahappyday68
      Ohio
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

My deposot just hit my bank account

16. GingerSnap
      GreenDot

@lwortham: Go with FREETAXUSA I made the switch from turbo to freetax 3 years ago and never looking back. I LOVE keeping every penny of my money lol

17. Jonnyboy

I just wish that when an 846 code hit trammies, the where’s my refund so would update instantly. Lost path message and to the usual it is being processed message. Unfortunately, I was a true victim of identity theft two years in a row and cannot access or obtain transcripts unless I travel 2 hours to prove my identity in person each time. That doesn’t work. So I guess I’ll just have to wait until the am and see if I have been approved…or the other way…take action. I do file with an identity protection pin, so I don’t think I’ll be held up, but who knpws. Keeping positive thoughts.

18. woodysgirl89

Just got my deposit on netspend! HECK YEAH! Paid fees up front. Good luck to all waiting! It’s comjng!!!!!!!!!!

19. Wolverinemaniac

I have processing message in Where is my refund still with no DDD and my Deposit just hit! I am a netspend user! Used TurboTax! WOOT WOOT Praise the lord!

20. 1coldmama
      Iowa
    • Tax Topic 152

HAPPY TEXT JUST CAME THROUGH! I am one damn happy cold mama!

21. Mbry0625
      Credit union
      Apr-20
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Weekly

@bonebaby: probably not I wish

22. 2013taxpayer
      UT
    • Tax Refund Offset

The only thing I am now figuring out is my offset. First I had a message on the offset for my student loans saying it may offset. I called today and it doesn’t even have that message. It just says that no debt found. We’ll see lol.

23. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

More DDs are coming. This is only the beginning :)

24. bonebaby

so if we have a code 570. will we get the 846 tonight? it seems that alot of us has 570 hold code today

25. GingerSnap
      GreenDot

@Queen201929: You’re backwards hun…. Being processed is good…… Still processing is not so good….. ;)

26. Mommy2fourgirls
      Tennessee
      Eastman Credit Union
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), Schedule C, 1099, W2
    • Tax Topic 152, Identity Theft

Its’s in my account!!!!

27. ThisIsMe

Does anyone who used TS with fees taken out know if River City Bank has received their refund as of yet. My transcripts updates eartly this morning so I’m sure they habe sent the refund by now….

28. Vee Richards
      Ga
      BMO
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

Do all these people with pending deposits have fees taken out ? No one is talking about SBTG updating

29. Buckeye89

@What Do You Know

I am laughing.
    They can see them. I have seen it last year and this year today. I called and he said the same thing but was hesitant, he said something about a code , but then stopped. I would not be surprised if we do not wake up with DDDs. Wish I had a CC

30. lwortham

@Seemslike4ever: yea it would be nice but I dont think that will be happening until after the holiday. I have PayPal mastercard and it deposits early but I let TT take my fees out of my refund so now we have to wait until SBTPG releases it and its not looking good. lol

But on a positive note…. At least we know we are getting a deposit lol

I know I wont be paying TT 120.00 next year to get my own damn money lol

31. 2013taxpayer
      UT
    • Tax Refund Offset

@LaurieL98: DDD

32. 2013taxpayer
      UT
    • Tax Refund Offset

@Buckeye89: same cycle date. My transcript always updated on a Friday after 1. So I just checked just now for thw first time today.

33. Steph336
      NC

@LaurieL98: yes 2/22 is your DDD

34. Soboredlovethissite

@What Do You Know: fist time I called I got a rude ghetto lady who refused. Second time was a nice guy who looked me up had me verify info and told me all the good stuff lol.

35. Queen201929

@MEEK: Sounds like still being processed is not as good of a message as processing. I think people that have processing have gotten a DDD or an amount pending in their account. I don’t think anyone really knows if still being processed is necessarily a bad thing though but you may want to call some have called and gotten an explanation

36. LaurieL98

Question… so on my transcript I now have the 846 code. Next to that is the date February 22, 2018. Is that the day that I should recieve my refund? Paid fees up front.

37. 2013taxpayer
      UT
    • Tax Refund Offset

Update:
    1/26: Filed
    1/29: Accepted
    2/1: WMR Updated with 1 bar and TT152; Acct transcript available but blank, no return transcript
    2/9: No update on WMR; Return transcript available, Acct transcript available and filled but no 846 code, of course.
    2/10: WMR updated to no bars, no refund amount, PATH msg, and TT152 still on there
    2/15: WMR updated to “We have received your tax return and it is being processed.” Refund amount came back, TT152 is gone. Bars are still gone. No update with transcripts…still the same codes.
    2/16: Acct transcript now has 846 code with a date of 2/22/2018

38. What Do You Know

@Buckeye89: So they didnt give you a DDD? I was told that he cant look at my my 2017 tax return until 21 days. He said that he doesnt see any letters or holds that its just processing

39. Jim bob

Me and my sister both just got ours filed on Jan/27 their is luck!!!! Watch your banks, Thanks everyone for help getting me through!

40. Buckeye89

Hello fellow soon to be exPATHers. I strongly believe after talking to a few people on here that the 570 was so they could get refund, 846 codes released throughout the day so systems did not bottle neck and crash.

THE GATES ARE CRACKED AND ABOUT TO BURST!!!

What do you think you all?

41. Mzharriss
      credit union
      3rd Bar
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C, W2

Well family I clock out at 4:30 and its time to go spend some of my husbands CASH…….