When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

Tax Topic 152   |   Daily vs. Weekly   |   Talk to a Human at the IRS
PATH Act Delay   |   Transcripts   |   Transaction Codes
State Refunds Forum

1. Slyyoung33

@Karma aka Liv: i would think those under review would have some code on their transcripts did you have a code on your transcripts last year or couldn’t order them?

2. SouthernGrl27

@Slyyoung33: Thanks thought it was an update lol….My WMR never updates with a DDD I would get an alert that I had an deposit and WMR would update like a day or so later.

3. WeWillBeOk

You guys have to stop comparing last year with this year. Last year was the first time for the PATH law. I went straight to DDD, never got a path msg. Me and 5 of my clients with EIC have path messages, with TT152. They all updated last Saturday and today. 2 of them updated today with a different TT #. I think this year they have it together were everyone is receiving a path msg with EIC depending on when you filed. My GUESS is if your TT didn’t change, you should be okay. But, no one really knows.

4. [email protected]

@Icantastethemoney: hes a daily you are a weekly and it should be other codes to the left of the page also that will tell you more…if you don’t see any 3 digits code’s to your left right underneath your refund amount then my dear u may order a return transcript and not your account transcript

5. Working hard for the money

I been stalking this site for some years now, this is the third comment I have made. I think those who have been on PATH for over a week would have been gotten letters. I really believe next week we will all see ddd

6. Icantastethemoney

I got my transcript today and it said a cycle code of 20180503 02/19/2018 and my hubby has 20180405 00/00/0000. i filed 1/19 and he filed 1/15. we both have eic and actc.

7. momdukes

@Nochoicebut2wait: For those that have an employer, it means that the IRS has populated the information that your employer reported as your earnings, and for those that are self-employed, it means that the IRS has reported the self-employment income that you entered on your tax return.

8. •°Karma°•

@Mommycakez:

I filed on 1/26 and accepted same day. Updated to 1 bar and tt 152 on 1/30. Lost both in last weekends update and no update last night either.

There is a small percentage of ppl who will get an update tonight so I’ll check again in a few hours since I’m West coast.

I went through crap last year over id verification and eic verification and didn’t get my refund back until mid September.

We definitely should keep each other updated since we are part of the few who are dealing with this fun stuff. Sooo not fun! Loll

9. MelissainFlorida

@momdukes: thank you. Everything is the same as the year before. Wages are almost exactly the same, job is the same, dependents are the same. All we have is a change of address. But it is our first address change in over 10 years. Fingers crossed that everything goes well.

10. momdukes

Essentially we would think that it would be daily cycles that update overnight tonight, however, I’ve always believed that some of the weeklies that didn’t make the cut on Friday night’s update, just flowed into the little Saturday night update as well. For years, weeklies updated overnight Saturday into Sunday. It wasn’t until 2016 that they cycle days changed, and weeklies moved to a Friday night update.

11. Ashely

Ok so I was accepted on 1/18 I’m still on path. I haven’t gotten a letter. So path is good. Would the IRS have sent a letter by now if I got audit? I was able to order transcripts.

12. Ohio937

@Jazzy 1231: yeah you never know. Last year bars never left no path and I got my money before my ddd posted lol just gotta ride the wave.

13. Jazzy 1231

@Ohio937: oh wow my husband filed 1-30 and his bars and topic still missing and he can’t order transcripts smh but it’s good u updated cuz we don’t know what the he’ll going on

14. momdukes

15. Ohio937

@Jazzy 1231: bars amount and path msg showed this wed and I was able to do transcripts that night (well that’s when I first tried) files 2/2 accepted same day.

16. Slyyoung33

@Alexx: did you get a ddd before you got the feb 15th deposit last year ? Was it on a prepay card ?

17. momdukes

There may be a small update tonight, but the vast majority updated overnight last night, and weekly cycles won’t update again until overnight 02/16 into 02/17.

18. Justin

But if you have path message why would I go from no bars and processing to path today. If I was under review shouldn’t I have just got message code like under review or I’d theft. Why put me through to path message if I was under review

19. I’ll register in a little bit

Well update. I was able to se my transcripts yesterday 20180605 cycle code. Feb 26 as of date. Wmr updated this morning to the path message. So I’ll check transcripts next Friday and see if i have any change. 🤷🏽‍♀️

20. momdukes

@MelissainFlorida: No, that alone wouldn’t cause an ID Verify. We’ve moved plenty of times. You should update from the PATH to a DDD next Saturday 02/17 as long as your return processes normally. I wouldn’t worry too much.

21. Ohio937

So is it going to be a update tonight? Seems like things are diff this year so I’m unsure about things now

22. [email protected]

@Joey S.: that’s good did you have any Crédits or should i ask are you a path please don’t respond asking what is a path not being rude but i just needed to ask due to other posting saying they 2 have ddd for the 14th but no more

23. MelissainFlorida

I moved this year. Will that trigger my account to be id verified? I filed jan 24th so I’m hoping that I would have already received a letter or something by now. But now I’m nervous after reading that someone had to verify after they moved.

I went to the PATH message last saturday. Hoping everything is good.

24. Slyyoung33

If they can’t release until earliest the 15th then I don’t see any updates to a ddd before after the 15th I don’t want to be negative here but that’s reality and every day i see people upset and disappointed when they don’t wake up to a ddd ..check next weekend Friday the earliest and you will start seeing some y’all but I highly doubt before then