When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.  According to the IRS, Where’s My Refund tool is the best way to check the status of your tax refund.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication and the IRS says the best way to check the status of your refund is using the Where’s My Refund tool. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

turbotax refund sttus H&R Block Refund Status

1. Nay

@somcghee Ive been on the same message for a week now. I still haven’t updated . I hope somthing updates this saturday for me.

2. Mbry0625
      Credit union
      Apr-20
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Weekly

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: yayyy!!

3. Katey

Can someone please explain my transcript to me I have path message , I checked my transcript and I don’t understand if I have been processed or what , it say cycle code20180504 , have codes 150, 806, 768 all with an amount and a date of 2/19/2018

4. Mbry0625
      Credit union
      Apr-20
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Weekly

@JustthinkingOR: I did two yrs ago. It’s for the marketplace insurance. It’s an easy fix. Only delayed me by a week or two.

5. Courtney

Got accepted Jan 29th, Updated this morning to path message with the amount , tax topic 152 and tax filing year shown to the left. Anyone knows what does this mean?

6. Nay

My bars are gone, only getting the message ” Your tax refund is still being processed, a refund date will be available with my amount shown on the left” no path message or anything. I was accepted on the 30th. Can anyone tell me what does this mean?

7. moe

Last year filed on 01.27.2017 got path a few days later approved on the 18 got it my account on Feb 22 so it is going as planned

8. NYnic
      NY
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Tax Topic 152

@champ216: Same exact dates for me too last year. Updated on 2/17/17 and DDD 2/22/17.

9. NYnic
      NY
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Tax Topic 152

@MommieOfBoyz: I do think next Saturday will be a big update day.

10. NYnic
      NY
      Chase
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2
    • Tax Topic 152

HRB sent my federal return on 1/17 and it was accepted on 1/17. I had one bar on 1/25. I checked WMR again on 2/2 and I had updated to the PATH message.

I checked WMR today and no update for me but honestly I wasn’t expecting one. Fingers crossed for an update on Friday/Saturday!

11. Buckeye89

@Sheila_33:
    I think it is just luck of the draw what PATHers got updates.
    Common sense would tell us that they could not process everyone after the 15th.
    So yes there is people who filed before and after each other that have the PATH message. We will all be getting our refunds soon.
    I know I am like the next person in here, you cannot count on anything being “normal or orderly” with the IRS.
    Australian calm, it will be here soon!!!

12. champ216
      Pennsylvania
      bank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

@MommieOfBoyz: I think we will, and last year I got a did of the 22nd if I woulda had a card like NetSpend etc. I would of got it a day or two sooner…..

13. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

@Danesha: It can means different things for different people. In general it means your return is taking a little longer to process, but the reason why can vary. You may have some luck figuring it out with others in the same boat here: http://igotmyrefund.com/forums/topic/missing-bars-3/

14. MommieOfBoyz

Just Wondering* for ppl on the path do y’all think we will get a ddd nxt Saturday?? last Year I think mine came on 21st but with the emerald card you get the exact day h&r block wont release it sooner like netspend😒

15. champ216
      Pennsylvania
      bank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

Last year I updated on the 17th of February and got my refund on the 22nd, was on the PATH since February 1. And everything is going the same this year so far so hopefully will have my refund sometime between the 17th thru 23🤞

16. Brett howard

@Krisintexas: I’m in Texas also. Same as you expect I filed 1/25 accepted 1/25. Thinking I was resequenced

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

Honestly I don’t remember having an amount on my path message. I do think its means you are done processing and as long as you have good codes you’ll get a date but I think as soon as I update next Saturday my wmr will go to “being processed” message unless that 420 drops off Friday. If you’re lucky enough to view your updated transcripts I believe thats the only way you’re going to know things are going good with your return. I’m not saying I’m sure of this. I would love to be wrong. Lol

18. JustthinkingOR

my wmr has my refund amount taken away tax topic 152 ???? i called this week said it was missing form 1095 fax it in > has anyone gone threw this?

19. champ216
      Pennsylvania
      bank
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

Updated to the PATH today same as last year I think it’s a good thing. We’re on are way

20. TRNick18

@Reneelove: so it wouldn’t let me view them online when trying to register it said my info didn’t match their system. But i was able to order the return and account transcript via mail. Do you know could this come back with no info or does that mean there was something actually found?

21. peanuts976
      IL
      Republic
    • W2

@Nobars: I just lost my Bar, however the transcripts have been blank for 2 weeks. I am calling Monday too.

22. Tee920

@Reneelove: thanks! I was also able to order both transcripts by mail last year I ordered both by mail and received a dd a few days later for the 23rd but got it the 22 nd

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

@StuckInStoweWithNoDough: congrats to you. I wondered how you were doing. Get well soon

24. NursLyn

My 3 sisters not on PATH who got accepted Jan 29, have DDD of Feb 14 as of this morning….so I’m hoping us PATHERS update on Feb 17 with DDD of Feb 21!

25. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

@Jenn Jackson: Dailies can get updates daily- with that said it doesn’t mean all dailies will update at the same time. Last year we saw DDDs for PATHers between the 17th and 24th

26. Nicole Odegard

@Stevey: mine updated to path message today. My bars and amount is also gone. This is a good thing I’ve been told!

27. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

@Stevey: No. The amount disappears with the PATH message. Totally normal.

28. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

@Miami33180: Congrats! No proof necessary as people not held by PATH have been getting DDDs for a couple weeks now :)

29. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

@StuckinStowWithNoDough: That’s wonderful news!! (The refund not the flu lol). Congrats!!

30. Audra
      Ohio
      NetSpend
    • Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2
    • Tax Topic 152

@Pinkpanther2017: That’s my hope lol!! I have to finish getting some things for the baby who is due in June so I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Lol

31. Jenn Jackson
      Liberty Tax
      Ohio
    • Tax Topic 152

If dailies have updates will it be Thursday or will it happen the following week?

32. TryingtobepatientinNC

@Queen101: Im in the same boat. Filed/accepted 1/29. Still at 1 bar, TT152. Was hoping for an update today….i guess ill be on pins and needles until next Saturday. Hopefully we wont be kept in suspense too much longer.

33. Kimikaze
      Maine
      Credit Union

@cpeezy: Not necessarily. Last year for a lot of people on PATH if they didn’t update to a DDD then they just got their one bar back or the “your return is being processed” message until it updated to a DDD.

34. StuckInStoweWithNoDough
      Vermont
      Amex Serve
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

Sorry- been down with the flu but wanted to let all of those that have been following me on my seemingly endless journey…I FINALLY received my 2016 refund!!!! So happy & relieved…into the bank it goes for the savings cushion I need :) hope this season goes smoothly…not a year wait…

35. Miami33180

Completed TurboTax on 1/25 – IRS accepted 1/29. Stayed on Bar 1 until the update around 4am this morning 2/10. Updated states DDD 2/14. Not sure how to add a picture for proof but happy to if someone advises me how. Just wanted to give everyone an update on my experience. I will also be donating once the deposit hits. If nothing else this place is awesome just to get insight on how everyones experiences are going to help give some ease to your mind.

36. momdukes
      GA
      wf
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C

@~Stacey~: Congratulations Stace! That’s great news!!!!

37. TryingtobepatientinNC

@Nida: This is so nerve-wrecking. Keeping my fingers crossed for a DD update next saturday (im a weekly). It seems to be quite a few of us who filed/accepted around that time and are still sitting at 1 bar.

Jun-22
      Jun-26
      Jun-24

@Alicia79: sorry took the kids walking. I have been reading a lot about the 420 and I really still have no solid answers. It is possible that the audit was for the earned income credit for me. I still have not received a letter and as far as the 5 kids are concerned they have been receiving death benefits from my daughter passing 6 years ago and I am the beneficiary so all of that comes from the government so should be verified quite easily and I have been claiming them for 5 years or so.

39. Back4the3rdx

My wmr went from one bar with 152 tt amount filing status to tax return is still being processed I had lost the amount but this morning amount is back on but no tax topic no take action just it’s being processed and ideas on what it could be?

40. Nobars

@Moemoe:

I ordered my transcripts by mail received them yesterday. The letter states there is no refund on file… I’ve been missing my bars for 2 weeks now!!! Monday morning I will be calling the IRS… This is ridiculous!!!!

41. momdukes
      GA
      wf
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C

@Nicole Odegard: Yes Ma’am. This reply was for you.

42. SouthernGrl27

@Nida: Same happened to me 4 yrs in a row I would check WMR 2days after my DD and it would still be on 2 bars… So I remain hopeful

43. Caanagirl

Accepted 1/25, still 1 bar with topic 152. Loves in to many times last so now I locked until tomorrow. Anyone still have 1 bar??

44. Nida

@TryingtobepatientinNC: yes, actually I filed 1/27/2018…Accepted 1/29/2018. Updated to 1 bar Topic152 on 1/29/2018 and no movement 2 Saturday’s in a row 🤨. I am not sure what is going on this year but just thinking last year I never got the path message either and I had my money DD on 2/23/17. So maybe all of us will not get the message even though I do file 2 Kids and claim those credits.

45. NikkiH
      Jackson Hewitt
      Netspend
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, W2, Premium Tax Credit 8962

Maybe I will fall into the batch of people who get no updates on WMR, the refund just poof, magically appears. IDK at this point, I’m very discouraged. I can’t view transcripts online so that doesn’t help me out any. Ughhhh

46. [email protected]

Good morning everyone,
    In need of help. I used tt to file taxes for myself, daughter, and son. I file on February 2 and was accepted same day for everyone. We all have the tt152, amount, and still being processed. Daughter should be pather same as last year but no update for her either. We haven’t had an update at all since then. How do i know if we’re weekly or daily?

47. ~Stacey~
      PA
      Netspend
    • Education Credit (8863)

Morning all. Just a quick update. My daughter who I filed on Jan 25 and seemed to be re-sequenced, received her refund on her netspend card yesterday. As of this morning she has a ddd of 2/14. She only had ed credits.

48. momdukes
      GA
      wf
    • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Schedule C

Realistically, it will be after the 15th of this month, probably closer to the 21st, unless you have a Netspend card.