When does IRS accept tax returns in 2018?

The IRS began accepting and processing tax returns on January 29, 2018.

When Can You File Taxes in 2018?

Most tax preparers will allow you to enter and submit your tax return beginning the first week of January 2018.  You don’t need to wait for the IRS to start accepting tax returns to start, but you must have the proper forms and paperwork. Some forms are not available until mid January and some even later.  When you submit your return before the IRS begins processing, it will sit in a “queue” and be held until the date that the IRS will officially accept tax returns.  If you e-file early and it sits in queue, your return may be sent to the IRS early in a test batch. This has resulted in early direct deposits in the past, but also major glitches because they are tests after all.

2018 Refund Cycle Chart

The most recent tax refund cycle charts have already been published. The official IRS tax refund cycle chart has been eliminated and replaced with an IRS Information Guidelines for the Tax Preparation Community publication. However, various websites with refund calendars for the 2018 tax season (2017 tax year) have been updated with 2018 direct deposit and check mailing dates.

Tax Topic 152   |   Daily vs. Weekly   |   Talk to a Human at the IRS
PATH Act Delay   |   Transcripts   |   Transaction Codes
State Refunds Forum

1. Patiently Waiting

@Brittany Amador: If you got direct deposit you should have received a text saying the IRS had received them and and a few hours later another text saying it was accepted and will process in 24 48 hours and funds will be deposited when available

2. Jolina

@VeeArizona: I saw that you had posted about only being able to receive a certain amount on the turbo tax intuit card. Just wondering if you had ever figured anything out on that? I tried to look it up on the site but feel like I couldn’t get a clear answer. I don’t see why they would offer this card to us if we could not receive our refunds because a lot of people receive refunds greater than the amount they stated.

3. Miles

Typically they don’t do an audit with back taxes they will just intercept it take what’s there’s and send the rest out if there is any left.

4. Mary

@LALALAND Thats not the way the IRS works, you can’t just mail or fax unless you have the right address or fax number to send info to, you have to wait until you get a letter and send in your information with the letter so it goes to the correct dept

5. Mary

@WORRIED I think it may be someone else had the same message they got their refund but it was minus that credit, the IRS is getting real picky about that credit you will probably get your refund without the credit and you should get a letter

6. Desiree

Just figured out that republic took my whole state
    Freaking lovely
    I was told by Jackson hewitt that they would only take prep fees outta state and take my loan that I got outta federal
    Nope they took it all

7. lalaland

@Shamrock: yes. I filed and accepted on the 31st. The website said I was processed, but a refund wasn’t issued yet. Something about refunds taking longer to protect identity.
    ALso-we receive a check bc of a form we use to claim our disabled child. So I am not sure what a direct deposit message would look like.
    I hope that helps.

8. Jonique

@Worried123: aww that’s messed up…you are being audited…did you claim anybody and if so did you ever update to the path

9. Worried123

What this means? I’m I being audited?
    We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed. You will receive a notice from us requesting additional information within 30 calendar days. You may not receive all or part of your refund until we receive and review the information we requested. If you need more information after you receive our notice, call the number on the notice.
    Please do not contact us until you have received the notice as we are unable to take any action until then.

Please read the following information related to your tax situation:
    Tax Topic 151, Your Appeal Rights

10. Worried123

Please read the following information related to your tax situation:
    Tax Topic 151, Your Appeal Rights

11. worriedinphoenix

@VeeArizona: hi just wondering since we are from the same state; I filed and was accepted on 1/22/18; have you received your state refund yet. I have not received mines neither has my daughter….

12. 18waitingnow

Has any one with EIC that filed on 1/31 been able to view transcripts yet. I think I am a weekly so not sure if that makes a difference.

13. Lurking and waiting

Filed 1/29.. acceptance 1/30.. update to path.. can view transcripts online.. cycle day 20180504 just waiting on the release code!! Hopefully I’m in the first batch!!! Counting down till the 15th!!!

14. sonrisa809

@Buckeye89: sorry but you won’t get anything by stressing out like, I know it’s frustrating but don’t take it too deep cuz it can be bad for your health.