Tax Refund Delay Extravaganza Kicks off the 2017 Tax Season

Tax Refund DelayMost people already know about the tax refund delay for 2017.  This isn’t because the IRS just feels like holding your money for fun this year. The IRS introduced us to this back at the end of 2015 but some are just finding out about it now.  Let it be known– if you claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) on your 2017 tax return it will be delayed, if you are an early filer.  So if ya don’t know, now ya know!

The IRS is not the Villian who planned a tax refund delay

New for 2017, even if you file your return and it gets accepted early, refunds with the EITC or ACTC won’t be released until February 15th according to the IRS. A new law took affect in 2017 that requires these type of refunds to be held.  What!!!? This is what will cause the tax refund delay. We wrote about the new law here in our PATH Act post where you can read more about the actual bill itself. The IRS isn’t being being a bully by holding on to our refunds.They are just the agency that carries out the what the the PATH Act requires. Don’t let yourself get into a pickle. Plan ahead.  I know it may seem like a punishment, but the IRS has been trying to stop ID theft and fraud.  They are hoping with this delay that they can ensure refunds get into the proper hands and keeping them from ID thefts and people who fraudulently claim these credits. The IRS believes many of these illegal returns tend to be filed early in the tax season. They have been getting skewered by the U.S. Treasury Inspector General over these matters. If you want to read more about these recommendations (butt chewings) and see the mechanics of the  new law, head over there to that PATH Act post.

Will the tax refunds be deposited on February 15th?

You very well could wake up to a tax refund deposit soon after February 15th.  We don’t know when the deposits will be sent.  That remains to be seen. But the IRS is saying don’t count on it until end of February.  We expect those with Netspend cards and similar types of cards who post deposits earlier than some banks to see deposits first.  But as the story always goes, it’s all speculation until the IRS refund machine starts pumping out deposits.

Let’s be real, there is always some sort of glitch.

We are not sure what is store for us this tax season, there always seems to be some sort of glitch every year. It’s easy to wonder if the new procedures will cause even more of a delay.  I can’t imagine a January or February without tax refund mania. We have come to expect the three ring circus and accept the daily nuttiness from our early filers (myself included). Count on the tax refund grapevine at igotmyrefund.com to help.  If you need more information please post a question and we will try our best to get you an answer. Also, search our site we have tons of information on many different topics.

POST YOUR ACTUAL TAX REFUND EXPERIENCE HERE: This is a “user to user” site and the primary mode of support is peer-to-peer, meaning users helping other users. Admin and moderators are not always present or may not have answers to questions. Users becomes more informed when they are here often to read and comment. We call them Top Contributors. We are not a group of experts, merely individuals who have learned more than we ever wanted to know about the tax refund process.

1. igor's friend

GLITCH MY A**
    Called the IRS took me three times to figure out the sequence to talk to a live person…
    after going to the local IRS office and proving I was me 2 weeks after filing electronically getting my money back through direct deposit supposedly being the fastest way to receive money. filed jan 27 seen irs feb 13. called april 4th and they say they have a hold on it and i was supposed to receive a letter. explained i had to prove who i was already. oh ok let me let you hold for about 7 min. 10 min later came back still researching. final answer uh LOL uh i dont know you should hear back from the irs in less than 60 DAYS. or the money should just fall in your lap.

Im no tax expert but wheres the place to line up for this job. i can act completely incompetent for 50,000 a year.
    Seriously sounded like dracula’s egor when he laughed.

2. JUNIE B JONES

MY EXPERIENCE?
    FILED EARLY. MONTHS AGO. TILL WAITING. THEN I CHECK TURBOTAX… NO CONCERNS. I CHECK IRS… 1541 DELAYED! LASTIMA!

3. Karen

Hello, I filed 2/1 accepted 2/1 had the message returned still processing, changed to being processed received an email from turbotax saying that my fees hasn’t been paid bc either my refund has been reduced or not release. Well my refund hasn’t been release and that I have until 4/7 to pay the fees, what kind of mess is this???

4. Ashlee King

@Kymber: I tried to get my transcript online but it says my phone number doesn’t match my name when I’ve had the same number for years.

5. Ashlee King

@taxtasha: filed on 2/21 accepted on 2/22 and still shows processing. Almost been 3 weeks. Still nothing. It never takes this long.

6. Payable upon death

@Almost there..: I will never file early again. I was worried about is theft. Our info was exposed by did hacks a few years back. EIC, additional child credits. We are caught in review and a hold was placed. IRS confirmed no problems. TAx payer advocates are trying to get the hold lifted due to hardships. If we are stuck processing later than May I’ll cancel my health insurance. Let some things go. TPA said it should only be two more weeks but could be up to four.

7. Alduwynne

@Shorty_0405: I work for a child support agency, most states are different but, CSE can hold the return for injured spouses for 6 months. Have your husband call your state and verify the time frame.

8. taxtasha

Filed my taxes on Feb 6. Used turbo tax and did them myself.accepted the same day. First bar on wmr same day. Filed claiming 2 dependants, head of household, requesting a paper check to be mailed to my house. got my second bar on wmr on Feb 18. says my check should be mailed by Feb. 27. Anyone out there in a similar situation see their money yet?

9. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

• I Got My Refund!

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Shorty_0405: IS could take longer to process than most other returns. You can check out the Injured Spouse forum to connect with other filers similar to you http://igotmyrefund.com/groups/injured-spouse/

10. Shorty_0405

I filed my taxes with my husband and did injured spouse since he owes child support, will I still get my refund back after the 15th of February like everyone else or is the wait longer then that, I chose to get it deposited into my bank account?

11. MERLE

I filed 2/1 with no mention of the PATH law. My return was accepted on 2/1 as well! The PATH blocker came up on the 12th then was told that my funds were going to be sent to bank on the 23rd…..a friend of mine filed on 1/26 and rec’d their refund on the 2nd…they have EIC as well as the child tax credit..they did not have to wait…frustrating! I called spoke to a live body and was told I still have several weeks to wait!

12. MAMJAM8886

@Shatay89: Its not just H&R Block which I quit using because of their ridiculous fees. I used turbo tax again which I never had a problem getting my money early. My tax return was accepted on Feb 3 shortly after that had the path message with no bars. Bars came back on the Feb 17 stating my dd is Feb 23rd. We will see but I’m getting frustrated seeing others that have already updated.

13. Almost there..

Still waiting
    Filed: 01/17/2017
    Accepted: 01/18/2017
    One bar to path message to being processed.eictc/ATC
    Still being processed spoke with live rep today almost done processing with thousands of early filers..Stay strong..

14. BebeNC

@Shatay89:

Next year sign up for a chime visa prepaid debit card. As soon as bofi fed bank (bank for h&r block) releases funds, they are sent directly to my account… No hold or anything. I get my money 6 something at night either the day before DDD or the day of. Last but not least, even for me, I’ve had to realize that relying on these funds can backfire. I’m sorry you’re going through what you’re going through though.

15. Shatay89

I filed 01/26/2017 with eitc and yesturday 02/18/2017 Saturday my mwr was updated to its approving my refund with DDD 02/23/2017. I tried calling emerald card services which by the way I didn’t want to from the jump use but was lied to so they can get there commision off me. I usually use netspend with turbo tax which by now I would have already gotten mines. So HRB takes my whole state money when I was told that take it from the federal check. I got 3 kids at that lil ones 6,5,and 2 and it has been hard eating and sleeping because of all of this.Plan ahead my ass and to add once more I was let go of from my job a week ago. Not all I us have that luxury to plan ahead and now after all this hrblock tells me until week of 02/27/2017 I will see my money. No the hell not, why give me a DDD that I will receive my money by Thursday 02/23/2017,but I have to wait till the 27th.

16. Eezzee

@Eezzee: Update. Friday woke up to no bars, message about processing. Saturday woke up to 2 bars and DDD of 2/23. ACTC, EIC, and business claimed. Good luck guys. This is way faster than last year for me. A month faster.

17. elizabethrussann

@BebeNC: It looks like you will have to wait for the authorization code too. It wont hold your money up. It will just say you cant be verified and they will mail a authorization code to the address on your return. Sorry. I went through the same thing.

18. Sara lee

I got the message that i should receive my refund by 2/23 and I’m receiving direct deposit. Should I expect it before the 23?

19. Lithium

@DadOf4Boys05: I was accepted 1/26, path message until 2/15. On 2/16 it said processing. On 2/17 wmr said approved with DDD of 2/24. Hang in there… more wmr updates are expected from 2/16 – 2/18

20. BebeNC

@elizabethrussann:

I went online to see if I could view the online version, then ran into a snag. They ask you to enter your phone number that’s listed in your name. My cell number is listed unknown, it’s not in my name so I couldn’t use my phone number. I wanted to see if it’d go through anyway but I didn’t want to do anything that’d hold my money up lol

21. Nermal

@Waiting to long:

Yes it did. Then I had 571 under it to release the hold.

Checked wmr this morning at 5am still showed processing message. My 846 said 3/6/2017 issue date. Just got off work an checked wmr again and have a DD of 2/22.

So glad this is over.

22. elizabethrussann

@Jeo: its okay. if you log in and can see the years listed, you are looking for the 2016 account transcript. then at the bottom you will see any three digit codes like

846 refund sent and then the amount

if you cant access the 2016 account then it isn’t finished processing

23. elizabethrussann

@BebeNC: Have you checked your transcripts? I couldn’t check my transcripts because I had to wait for the authorization code they send via snail mail! but yesterday the mailman brought me an early Christmas gift…lol…there is hope!

24. BebeNC

@elizabethrussann:

You just gave me some hope lol. Filed 23rd. Last year I didn’t get an approved bar, or DDD until after I have already received my refund

25. elizabethrussann

Filed 01/31..accepted same day, path message two or three days afterward, 02/15 updated to processing, 02/16 checked transcripts and had 846 code, 02/17 wmr updated to show ddd 02/22/2017. There is hope. Calimed add child and eic.

26. Eezzee

I can order both transcripts for this year. Is that a good sign? I have the generic message saying it’s being processed. ACTC and EITC claimed

27. DadOf4Boys05

Its 17th of Feb and STILL processing my returns, what have they been doing this whole time?? I do claim the EIC and CTC but this is ridiculous! Any insight?

28. Hmomof3

I have a ddd of 2/22!!! Filed wit hturbo tax and accepted 1/17. I had the Actc so I had the Path message until yesterday. Happy to finally have a date!

29. Teil25

@Nermal: I also have the has been accepted but is still processing how do i check the transcript????
    I filed with turbo tax

30. Shereekey09

I filed an electronic return at my tax preparer on 1/17 wheres my refund updated with generic accepted and being processed message last night. (2/16) this evening it’s in my ach warehouse at my credit union dated for 2/22. IS IT STILL GOING TO BE THERE UNTIL 2/22? Or do ach deposits from the irs go through early?

31. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

• I Got My Refund!

@Nermal: Congrats! Thank you for the update. We love to hear good news!

32. Nermal

My return was accepted on the 17th of January. I received a 4464c letter in the mail shortly after. Had the path message for about 2 weeks. Was able to pull transcripts recently and saw 570 then 571 the next day. Cycle date s 20170602. Checked transcript again today and saw code 846 refund sent. I claimed my 2 kids. Hopefully I’ll have my refund tomorrow. Wmr still says accepted an processing. Check your transcripts it’s more up to date than wmr.

33. Kymber

I filed on Jan 27th. Accepted 27th. Path act… Message today 2/16/17 processing… Account transcript online says approved (processing date 2/20/17) (refund issued date 3/6/17). Don’t know if that helps or will be correct but DANG ya know? :(.

34. another disappointed person

I think this is a bunch of bull. Most people I spoke with had no idea about this until they actually filed their taxes. These people live on very limited incomes so why are we being punished. Do we not have auditors to investigate questions of fraud….I have to believe the average American family is doing the best they bloody well can and then this. Why we are encouraged to file on-line, early and then be punished. The IRS is makiing a ton of interest on this money do we see that. I have called the IRS and it is all automated no human contact whatsoever.. And what’s up with release of money on Fridays, why not everyday….this is our hard worked money and we need it, we have children who need food clothes college all the things we pay our taxes for. Just disscusts me. Seems to me we had no choice anyway as usual….

35. Fix your credit

Mines changed to refund being processed with no date. I hope its Released soon.. I saw on another site that IRS won’t update until the 18th .

36. BebeNC

I filed on the 23rd. Today I got a message instead of a path message saying… “We’ve accepted your return and it is processing”. I get on h&r block and it says “Federal return status: Congratulations! The IRS has accepted your return and your federal taxes are complete. The IRS is currently preparing your refund. We’ll update you when your Refund Transfer funds have been released for deposit. ” It was saying this a couple of days before the 14th.

37. Tai

Good Morning All! Seems like I’ve received the same message as others delayed due to the Path Act!

I just read an article stating that WMR will be updated 2/18 for EIC & ATC filers. I’m hoping they mean updated with a ddd!

38. ree

@Urbanlioness: mines was accecpted jan 27 & today the PATH message is gona as well…really need to move so i hope i see some positive news soon

39. Urbanlioness

Mine was accepted Jan 24 th, getting EIC credit. This morning the PATH message is gone & says its being processed, I hope that also means approved. Hopefully they’ll keep updating us daily, this waiting is the pits.

40. Stevie0728

Path message is gone now there are no bars and says they received my return and it’s being processed

41. teve

Well, filed the 28th…was accepted same day. I can’t remember if I got the path update the 3rd…just checked WMR…now says processing with no bars or PATH message…so there is movement.

42. Jennifer(15)

NC

SBBT to BofA

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit

Tax Topic 152

@Daniel Tolliver: that’s great information, was there a time? Or is it the normal midnight?

43. Daniel Tolliver

Just spoke with somebody from the IRS they said that everybody’s wmr is being updated From the Path act message to hopefully a direct deposit date for some people the 27th date is just a worst-case scenario just check with your bank to see how long it’ll take for it to get deposited I get mine two days because mine is a prepaid debit card

44. Eunice

Hello, just wanted to share some info.. I just spoke to a lady at the Irs and she said they have starting releasing funds today and they are doing it through out the day, not just 1 time she also told me that us people with path messages are being released today as well… so just keep checking your banks and cards…

45. TM

I think PATH people may not see anything alteast starting until tomorrow… im only assuming bc the message says AFTER the 15th… it would be nice if im wrong :).

46. SUPPORTER

Mine was processed with first group that got their checks 28th Jan. have had my transcripts for over a week, still path message. 4:40am est

47. GiveMeMyPaper2017

@Ms$$$: u don’t think holding money stops fraud. It’s just them putting it to the low income people like always lol

48. It's my money and i need it now

@Jamie1234: i used tax act and was accepted the same day as u i had one bar then the next day thAt one bar was gone and the path message

49. It's my money and i need it now

I did my efile and was accepted Jan 18,2017 i had one bar on where’s my refund now i have no bars just the path message is that good or bad @Tai:

50. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

• I Got My Refund!

@SingleMom1992: Per the IRS latest statement we should start seeing updates to WMR on the 16th and going forward. So we are hoping to at least know when to expect them to be deposited.

51. SingleMom1992

I for one am hopeful that if I do not see a tax return hit my bank on Weds after this path madness, that HOPEFULLY it will come this Friday. Otherwise I will just have to continue to exercise patience, which is not easy.
    I claimed the EIC- Filed Jan 19th and Accepted Jan 21st.

52. Mike T

@Ms$$$: Giving them till the 15TH allows the w-4’s to come in from all employers so they can verify your income. So no, filing after the 15TH won’t ease the restrictions.

53. erino77

Jackson Hewitt

Ohio

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit

Tax Topic 152

Has anyone who filed with Jackson Hewitt checked there “my JH” recently? I apologise if this subject has already been brought up I just haven’t noticed it on here myself. But anyhow I just checked my “my JH” n it’s showing my final amount after my fees and holiday loans now n saying check printed… Up until yesterday it just had my original return amount before loans n fees. N of course I see this 30 mins after our Jackson Hewitt office is closed..Think it’s possible checks really ready before the 15th?!?!

54. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

• I Got My Refund!

@Kay: There were a lot of people in your same shoes that were accepted in the test batch on 1/13 and just updated on WMR today. If you haven’t received a letter then you may have just been re-sequenced and hopefully an update happens soon. You can call back again Monday or Tuesday because that would be 21 days from acceptance and they may be able to give you more information then if there is any to give.

55. Kay

My return was accepted 01/23 and my bars disappeared a couple of days after and I’ve had the processing message since with no codes at all . No PATH message either .And the only transcript I’ve been able to order is the account transcript . I haven’t received and letters via mail about anything been wrong and when I called they said I didn’t need anything . I did get a letter from my state saying was finished processing and they were taking a partial amount . But that’s it . Should I be concerned ?

56. Ms$$$

@SherryA: how is this preventing fraud? Especially now the theives know you can file after 1/15/2017 and the refunds will not be held..IRS just made a new way for thieves

57. SAW

@Kimmyj: It is reasoned to be concerned. So they create refundable credits to help the low income wage earners and then they create a fine to take back the credits? You’re right where does it go one must ask.

58. Tai

Good Morning! Does anyone know if we’re receiving the auto PATH Act message when checking for refund… Does that mean we were approved and the deposit status isn’t until the 15th? I understand the deposit is delayed but how can we find up if returns were approved?

59. Kimmyj

@SherryA: I’m not understanding why the people with health care penalties have to pay a fine, clearly some people truly can’t afford health care..I’m glad for those that were able to purchase insurance thru the market place but I feel it serves no purpose to have a penalty attached to your tax refund..that is the only thing I don’t like about Obama care! They penalize you and take your money but where does that money go?..hmmmm

60. SAW

I have been trying to find updated or more recent discussions regarding the PATH Act and the 2017 delays and it is like people are just not talking about it which I find very odd.

61. Nichole

NY

Chase

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Tax Topic 152

@JSH2017: I filed on 1/23. I had one bar on WMR on 1/24. On 1/26 I got the PATH message and I was able to request my return transcript. I requested my account transcript last week and I’m still waiting for that to arrive in the mail.

62. JSH2017

@SherryA: Thank you. I tried to get my Tax Return Transcript but it says it is not available. WMR still has one bar with TT152 so I am assuming (hoping) my TRT will be available sometime in the next 3 days.

Has anyone else that filed/accepted on 1/27/17 with EITC or ACTC been able to access their TRT yet?
    Any info is helpful. I know I have to muster all my patience since the last few years, WMR didn’t even update for my until the day OF my DD hitting my account (or after!).

63. SAW

@[email protected]: Thank you. I have seen several news reports where not all fraud is the theft of someone’s identification but one report included a widow that filed her cats by giving them social security numbers of deceased individuals and/or a business tax EIN numbers which is also 9 digits like our social security numbers. It seems to me that the IRS is the one in need of a more efficient system and that should not come as a punishment to the millions of us who are simply hard working, forthright tax filers that are doing the right thing. If we are being penalized for being honest then why should we believe they are now being honest with us? Maybe they will do a mass direct deposit on Feb 17th but the date sure seems odd. If they could catch every thief in 2 weeks then we shouldn’t be in this predicament to begin with I would think.

64. [email protected]

@SherryA: re: fraud…. From what I’ve read – the IRS rationale is that early filers using CC deposit for refunds are more likely to be ID thieves… BUT – the article also stated that CC deposits after the hold (2/15) will probably deposit before bank account refunds… Which makes me wonder – why wait longer for bank deposits as bank accounts are easier to track than CC’s…

65. SherryA

@MOM: I was able to order my transcripts also and even though they show a cycle date of 20170405 they do not show the 846 code for refund issued. So I’m not sure why such a lengthy delay until after February 15th? If the taxes have been validated as an approved return then why hold all of them? I do understand that the penalties for not having health insurance go into effect this year so could this be why they are holding them to assess the fines? We simply don’t know at this point.

66. SherryA

@JSH2017: Hi JSH2017; I pondered the same thing. It seems nearly implausible for so many returns to be reviewed, processed and delivered all on a mass scale and all at once. I’m afraid nobody has the answers we seek this year except the IRS and they’re not elaborating much which leads to even more skepticism about the entire purpose of the PATH Act. Will they release them in mass after the 15th or present a reason why they cannot? I think for the most part people are waiting for day after the 15th to see what happens.

67. JSH2017

I filed and was accepted on 1/27/17. I itemized with business expenses, a mortgage, and one child which made me eligible for the ACTC. WMR shows one bar “Return Accepted” and the link to Topic 152. my question is … does anyone know if they have already completed these returns and are just holding them until they are required to? it seems a little implausible that they will ‘review’ millions of returns on the 15th. any feedback is MUCH appreciated. feels like a massive stalemate :(

68. Stelly

Help 1541 code on wmr. Don’t owe back taxes. Really frustrating taxes got accepted 1/27. Any ideas?

69. MOM

I was able to order, Tax Transcript, Account Transcript , Receipt of Tax Transcript
    my CYCLE DATE is 20170404 with a date of 2-13-2017.

HOW I FILED:
    I filed on 1/23/17, was accepted 1/24/17. Filed Married Jointly, Earned Income Tax Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, Filed with Turbo Tax, as of 2/3/17, I was able to order, Account and Return Transcripts from 2016. Live In GA. Getting PATH message, I HOPE they go ahead and release the funds on 2/15, so they can be in my bank ON 2/17, WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?

I honestly think I’ll get my funds on 2/17/17

70. SherryA

@Joe P.: Totally understand your frustration and you are correct there is no reason to believe this will deter fraud. If the taxpayers understand that this will be a problem in the future with regards to filing early then they will just file later and the criminals usually follow the changing trends.

71. Nichole

NY

Chase

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Tax Topic 152

I just wanted to post it here that I read online that someone heard from the IRS that they will be doing a big WMR update on 2/11 for people with the PATH message. That person said that they will probably update on 2/11 to let the people know who are going to be getting a DDD of 2/15. I guess we’ll see if that happens or not on Saturday.

72. Joe P.

If the IRS is going to be holding our money and making us wait then they need to be paying us interest on our money! If they say we owe the IRS money and don’t pay it when they say then they charge us interest. It’s only fair since they wanna hold our refunds longer for no damn reason.I don’t see how this path act is going to help stop fraud. It’s just an excuse to keep our money longer. I used turbotax and am married with 3 kids so I have the EIC and ACTC.

73. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

@Necie: Any returns that claimed EIC or ACTC http://igotmyrefund.com/path-act/

74. Nichole

NY

Chase

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Tax Topic 152

My return transcript arrived in the mail today. It shows cycle 20170403. Anyone know what that means?

75. Nichole

NY

Chase

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Tax Topic 152

@Jamie1234: No. The delay is only for the additional child tax credit.

76. Jamie1234

@Nichole: Thanks Nicole….I know all i claimed was the child tax credit but wasn’t eligible for the EIC…..since I got the child tax credit for my 2 children, does that also go in the same category as the ACTC?

77. Nichole

NY

Chase

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

@Nichole: Uh that should say anyone *who claimed

78. Nichole

NY

Chase

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Tax Topic 152

@Jamie1234: Anyone would claimed certain credits like EIC or ACTC has to wait until the 15th for an update.

79. Jamie1234

I filed early in January and was accepted on 1/18 but still no refund……I checked the IRS where’s my refund and still says “Received”……now if the Topic 152 is on there, that means I won’t receive until after 2/15, correct?

80. Nichole

NY

Chase

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Tax Topic 152

@Connie: The PATH message is the message about checking back after February 15th for your individual tax refund status. The code 152 is just general information about refunds I think. I got the PATH message and code 152 too. I’ve also read that code 152 just means you’re getting direct deposit.

81. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

• I Got My Refund!

@Connie: The message will replace the bars and tell you to check back after 2/15 for more personalized refund info

82. Connie

This is the message I received under my Topic 152:
    Additionally, beginning in 2017, a new law requires the IRS to hold refunds related to tax returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) until mid-February. Under the change required by the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS must hold the entire refund — even the portion not associated with the EITC and ACTC — until February 15. The IRS will begin to release EITC/ACTC refunds starting February 15. However, the IRS cautions taxpayers that these refunds likely won’t arrive in bank accounts or on debit cards until the week of February 27 (assuming there are no processing issues with the tax return and the taxpayer chose direct deposit). Read more about refund timing for early EITC/ACTC filers.

83. Nichole

NY

Chase

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Tax Topic 152

I used H&R Block to do my taxes just like we have done forever and I read online that on the H&R Block app it shows when your taxes were completed. Mine says that they were completed on January 30th. I ordered transcripts on January 26th and now I’m thinking that I might get blank transcripts in the mail. This is all confusing!

84. Connie

I am confused what is the Path Act message? I have the Tax Topic 152 which includes the message about them holding refunds for EITC until after Feb 15th is that the same thing or should I expect a different message?

85. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

• I Got My Refund!

@SherryA: Congrats! Now the worst of it is out of the way so sit back, relax and hope the next couple weeks fly by :)

86. Nichole

NY

Chase

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Additional Child Tax Credit, W2

Tax Topic 152

I filed and was accepted on 1/23. On 1/24 I had one bar on WMR. On 1/26 I got the PATH message and code 152. On 1/26 I was able to request my return transcript through the mail. I still have not received my transcripts yet and I’m hoping that they aren’t blank!

I’ve read that people are getting blank transcripts in the mail. I hope that doesn’t happen to me.

87. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

• I Got My Refund!

@SherryA: Looks like it’s moving along for you. I bet you will update with the PATH message on WMR overnight tonight.

88. SherryA

I filed on January 23rd using TT and I also filed the EITC and the Child Care tax credits on this year’s return as in the previous 7 years. I do not have a DDD as of today just the TT152 on the WMR update. However, I was able to order my IRS transcripts for 2016 as of today. I hope it means that my return has been processed and I am just waiting for the release date of Feb 15th for a deposit.

89. Heather

Tx

Chase

W2

I think they are holding the entire refund so they don’t have to process refunds twice to accounts. If they release a portion it’s a pain for them to go back in on millions of returns to reset deposits again for those credits.

90. EricksMomInFL

Bancorp- Chime Card

Tax Topic 152

@SherryA: Hi! It is definitely meant for early filers, as like you stated, the ITS claims that there is evidence of rampant tax fraud in the early weeks of tax season.

While they tell people that if you file early (and as they are also actively encouraging people to file early), they’re also telling those same people to be prepared for a long wait for their money. Those who file after February 15th will not encounter the same delays. However, they don’t want everyone to wait because they want returns to check early AND they didn’t want to cause a glitch or overload of returns filed by people hoping to avoid a long wait, thus creating a resequence.

What grinds my fears is the fact they are holding the ENTIRE refund, not just the credits portion. Basically, they’re telling us taxpayers that they have the right to hold the money they’ve already been holding as an overpayment to them, at 0% interest, until they deem it necessary to pay you back, and that’s not right.

91. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

@AJ_Success: Usually that’s progress! Look for an update on WMR tomorrow

92. AJ_Success

Filed 1/26
    EITC
    Able to order transcripts as of this morning. Hopefully that’s good news!

93. Kimberly*

@Steavi: It didn’t a couple of years ago when my bf owed the IRS, they just took the remaining balance owed and direct deposited the refund left as normal. It actually went very quick the year that happened. But every one returns can go differently unfortunately.

94. Haras

@Zoie: same here, i dont mind waiting on the delay, i just want to know if they approve my refund. Every year i check just to make sure it has been approved but with this new law all i get is that message.

95. Amy

Vermont

my Netspend card.

• I Got My Refund!

@CeeCee101: how often are you checking? it’s possible you locked yourself out.

96. CeeCee101

My federal was accepted 24th state was 27th . I saw the orange bar last week . Now itd telling me I put the wrong info it or re enter it . How is that possible . I got emails and text messages that day saying both returns was accepted

97. NJ

@Zoie: A lot of people online are saying that the message means that you are approved and you just have to wait until February 15th to get an update on WMR. But other people are saying that it is just a generic message and returns with EIC/ACTC are sort of being pushed to the side until February 15th. I hope it is the first reason.

98. SherryA

@EricksMomInFL: What I would like to know is does the PATH Act affect only those who file before February 15th? Most of the fraudulent returns are early filers, according to the IRS. Or, does it mean anyone who files after 2/15 will not be subject to a delay. The language regarding the date is very confusing.

99. Nikki17

I’m guessing returns that do look suspicious will be held onto but hopefully ones that check out OK will get theirs quickly starting the 15th

100. Zoie

Hello everyone what does it mean when you get the path act message ? I was accepted by IRS on the 13th had one bar on wmr and now that’s gone and just this long message called path act

101. EricksMomInFL

Bancorp- Chime Card

I’m of two minds about the PATH ACT issue:

On one hand, we as taxpayers give the IRS a lot of grief about a variety of issues, but the one at the forefront is: delayed returns due to fraud or I’D Theft, or simple human error. They make you wait for MONTHS to resolve an issue that should take weeks at the most. This Act may be just the thing to stem the flow of those horribly stressful situations. It gives your employees until Jan. 31st to have their [email protected]$! together and submitted to the IRS, AND it keeps everyone honest.

On the other hand, the IRS should have figured this out a LONG TIME AGO, and with this law enactment it comes off as a way to screw taxpayers who has been honest and simply want their returns processed swiftly and accurately. My issue is- why hold up ALL of the refund? If they were simply holding the EITC and ACTC funds and released the funds owed to you that’s left, many of us wouldn’t be so stressed. Heck, they’ve done that for years, and with success I might add. But the idea that you would enact, by law, that I’m not entitled to at the least the money I EARNED and at 0% interest from the Treasury, is a bit on the nose.

Maybe in the coming uears, we can pressure the lawmakers to revise this law to give hard-pressed taxpayers some relief, as not everyone can “plan ahead”.
    Just my little musings.

102. SherryA

@Christina468: Yes! With all of the technology at our disposals today you would think that would have a system in place that flags “suspicious” tax returns. I still don’t see how this will stop those have figured out a way around the system, slow them down a little, but I doubt it will completely stop them.

103. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

• I Got My Refund!

@Brennan: Does it say approved or accepted? You can try checking WMR on the IRS website to see if they have more info for you. If you claimes EIC and/or ACTC then your refund will be held until after 2/15 due to the PATH Act

104. Brennan

So my refund was recieve and approve threw jackson hewitt its say acknowledged and when you click what that means it say recieve and aprprove. I have claim. Children will i get my refund the 14 of feb

105. Tsharris

@Christina468: my sister did the same thang and someone fraudulently filed her taxes and it took her months to get it straightened out…. I would rather be a little late than December this year

106. Kimikaze

Maine

Credit Union

• I Got My Refund!

@Christina468: I know it seems unfair, but it should hopefully cut down on a lot of fraud. If someone’s identity was stolen then a fraudster could still file exactly as you would (Same filing status, kids, etc) but with a different checking account and steal the money. The PATH Act should hopefully eliminate a lot of these issues by allowing the IRS more time to review returns as well as give people more time to file and make sure no one else has already filed a fraudulent return.

107. Christina468

My husband and I have filed the same for the past 10 years we always claim our kids it’s the same married filling joint return every year why is it that every one who claims their children who’s filed the same for a long time is getting punished to I know you guys say where not getting punished but yes we are because even the people that are doing no wrong have to wait to see their money they should have found a way to put the ones through who are doing no wrong

108. Barker75

Hello Everyone! Not sure how many Az peeps are out there but I filed fed and state the 14th both accepted the 17th. I have been checking az state since the 17th and even checked throughout today and it kept saying they didn’t have any info then finally after 5:00 pm it says processing. It doesn’t give any other info other than that but at least it shows processing now.

109. jemar707

Ally

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

@waitinginAZ2017: yes, something might break! lol

110. Lindseynlu

@Nikki1985: If you qualify and claim the EIC or ACTC then yes. See if you did, it depends on income level if you qualify or not. If you did then IRS is required, by law, to hold those funds until 2/15. Doesn’t matter if you have claimed the kids before or not, only whether or you claimed the credits.

111. waitinginAZ(2/23)

AZ

Wells Fargo

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), W2

I imagine posting thousands of refunds at the once might break something

112. jemar707

Ally

Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), Child Tax Credit, Education Credit (8863), W2

So if ya don’t know, now ya know!